PDA

View Full Version : Glock 43 TruGlo TFX Pro Concerns

ucrt
10-13-17, 10:05
I posted a thread on a Glock forum asking about concerns with the TruGlo TFX Pro sights and haven't had any responses. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but have been wondering if anyone had any concerns or issues that I mention below?

I installed a set of the Truglo TFX Pro sights on a new Glock 43 and was wondering about...

- Rear sight dove tail is loose to the point I could almost push it into position without tapping or pressing it in. Once in place, there is a set screw to hold it in place but it seems a tighter fit would be more secure and give more confidence with the set screw as a backup. I put a .006" thick piece of aluminum shim under the sight and it took a more realistic effort with my press getting it in place.

- Front sight is loose when put into place. With the screw barely tightened, it will easily wobble side to side, probably a 1/16" or so side to side.
I could not find a recommended torque spec, so I tightened the screw to the point I was comfortable with and it could still be moved with little thumb pressure. While gritting my teeth, I tighened it more and seems to stay in place. I checked how many screw thread were used and it only has about 2-1/2 - 2-3/4 screw threads holding it place.
With the rearward end of the sight being about 1" away from the screw, seems like a lot of leverage against the screw, especially with only a few threads holding it in place.
These sights aren't cheap and I was really expecting tighter tolerances.

I like the sight picture and the wide light range but ...
Has anyone had any issues with these sights moving or coming loose?
Do these sight seem stout enough to use for conceal carrying everyday?
Anyone have any experience with these sights, if not on the 43 maybe other pistols?
But maybe it's just me...
Thanks

signal4l
10-13-17, 10:37
Easy fix...

Its not uncommon for aftermarket sights to be a bit loose. Remove the front sight. Degrease the bottom of sight as well as top of slide. I use alcohol swabs for this. Apply red loctite to the bottom of front sight as well as the screw. The front sight will want to twist a bit as you tighten it. Make sure it is squared up before allowing loctite to dry.

I would use a spring loaded punch or punch/hammer to peen the rear sight. This involves moving a bit of material forward to create a dimple. This should tighten up the rear sight.

After you test fire gun remove rear set screw and put a drop of red loctite in the hole. Install screw.

Dont be afraid to use red loctite. I have installed many sights using the stuff. Use a lighter to apply heat if you need to remove the sight.

ucrt
10-14-17, 07:16
Easy fix...

Its not uncommon for aftermarket sights to be a bit loose. Remove the front sight. Degrease the bottom of sight as well as top of slide. I use alcohol swabs for this. Apply red loctite to the bottom of front sight as well as the screw. The front sight will want to twist a bit as you tighten it. Make sure it is squared up before allowing loctite to dry.

I would use a spring loaded punch or punch/hammer to peen the rear sight. This involves moving a bit of material forward to create a dimple. This should tighten up the rear sight.

After you test fire gun remove rear set screw and put a drop of red loctite in the hole. Install screw.

Dont be afraid to use red loctite. I have installed many sights using the stuff. Use a lighter to apply heat if you need to remove the sight.

So, Signal
Red Locktite will suffice as a "filler". The other day, I was sloppy on purpose with the blue and it seemed to help but I wasn't sure it would hold up.

FWIW, to loosen red I use a small electric soldering iron and just hold it on the screw for 20-30 seconds. Just a little more control.

Thanks

signal4l
10-14-17, 08:21
Red loctite just holds better than blue. Putting a drop into the rear sight set screw hole allows it to get under the sight when you install the screw.

https://youtu.be/4maCQhEIjoA