PDA

View Full Version : CZ Scorpion pistol vs carbine

C-grunt
10-14-17, 14:19
Im looking to buy a CZ Scorpion Evo in the very near future. Im wanting a fun gun that's cheap to shoot and isnt an AR. My brother in law has a SBR Scorpion and I love that gun.

My original plan is to buy the pistol and install a KAK tube and brace. Possibly SBR the thing down the road. But now that the carbine is out it gives me another option.

I understand the carbine will be longer but are there any pros to the carbine over a smaller pistol with a brace that would make you buy the carbine instead?

Hkbeltfed
10-14-17, 17:08
Nope!

Screwball
10-14-17, 17:51
You want to SBR it in the end, right?

The only benefit of the longer barrel is higher velocity. Everything else is a negative; length, balance, etc.

Starting with a pistol is easier to SBR, as you don’t have a barrel to cut down. The carbine gives you the part of the SBR that is easiest to swap in a Scorpion pistol.

When I leave NJ, I’m buying a Scorpion pistol... and going to do the paperwork for SBR and a suppressor.

I view the Scorpion in the same light as an Uzi or MP5... neither were designed for a 16” barrel. They were designed for a short barrel... 5” to 10”. That’s where they shine.

Aries144
10-14-17, 18:54
I'd suggest the pistol and this brace (https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/sbtevo/). It folds and it looks like a B&T stock. I have one for my MKE MP5 clone and like it.

Ron3
10-15-17, 22:55
I'd definitely go the pistol + brace route.

You could always SBR it later, leave it, or make it a "K" version. (A little shorter)

michealj
10-16-17, 00:40
Once you SBR it, do you plan on running the CZ carbine, pistol or aftermarket handguard? How long of a barrel do you want, 7.72" or custom length? How much do you want to spend?

Because I planned on running the carbine handguard from the beginning and the cost of the rifle was $50.00 more than the pistol, I bought the rifle, that way all I had to do was spend $150.00 for the pistol barrel and figure out a barrel nut solution. If I would have went with the pistol from the start I would have had to spend $120.00 for the KAK brace (which I could have resold or repurposed), $160.00 for the stock and then another $100.00 for the handguard (there was no flash can option). I was able to sell my fake suppressor barrel for $100.00 unfired which more covered the cost of the barrel nut wrench I built from a socket and section of SS tubing. You can now purchase the socket from HB Industries for $35.00.

There is no significant difference between the carbine and the pistols. Plan your build around your budget and look at the different options.

C-grunt
10-17-17, 12:04
Thanks for the discussion guys. Im going to stick with the pistol and KAK route. Should be ordering the pistol tonight or tomorrow from CZ. If I end up SBRing the pistol I going to keep the barrel and forend the way they are as a pistol.

HB Industries is local so that makes any future plans pretty easy.

Bret
10-17-17, 12:58
The only benefit of the longer barrel is higher velocity. Everything else is a negative; length, balance, etc.
You forgot about the iron sight radius.

An SBR is still better though.

Screwball
10-17-17, 13:13
You forgot about the iron sight radius.

An SBR is still better though.

The front sight on the carbine is on the end of the barrel? Not too familiar with them.

C-grunt
10-17-17, 13:50
The front sight on the carbine is on the end of the barrel? Not too familiar with them.

The carbines come with a longer hand guard too.

C-grunt
10-17-17, 13:52
Actually looking around, If I do SBR this thing and decide to change up the front of the gun I think I'd go towards the K/Micro conversions.

Bret
10-17-17, 15:41
Exactly. Although the front sight is not directly attached to the barrel, it is further down the longer handguard.

uffdaphil
10-17-17, 19:32
I went with the CZ folder and new style SB brace that looks best IMO. Very happy with the combo.

https://czcustom.com/cz-scorpion-evo-3-s1/cz-evo-folding-brace-adapter.html

https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/sob/

usmcvet
10-17-17, 20:21
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171018/baba5d0e39e5e76912b24d1f9af97922.png

This is what I bought. The flash can spins off. I ordered a 5.3" bbl with 3 lug bbl from In Lead We Trust. This habdguard is American made so it's one more point towards 922r. I'm changing the trigger and already changed the pistol grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bondmid003
10-19-17, 19:03
Pistol all the way. I had purchased a stock kit to eventually SBR it, but for now I've removed the stock and sliding piece from the cheek weld portion and installed an adapter and tailhook. I love it.

usmcvet
10-19-17, 19:19
I have a Tailhook It's good to hear you like yours. I'm waiting for the stock. I also needed to order an HBI rail because the ILWT bbl will not work with the CZ rail. I'll be posting my factory bbl and handguard for sale.

Tx_Aggie
10-19-17, 19:32
If you have any interest in shooting Pistol Caliber Carbine matches you should go with the carbine. Under most rules I don't think you would be allowed to use the pistol until it has been converted it to an SBR.

Otherwise pistol all the way. I love mine.

Hkbeltfed
10-19-17, 19:34
I ordered a 5.3" bbl with 3 lug bbl from In Lead We Trust.

That barrel won't work with this handguard. That handguard requires a stock barrel as the nut on the barrel end keeps the handguard on.

usmcvet
10-19-17, 20:05
I figured that out the hard way last night when I took the handguard off last night. It was immediately clear the new bbl would be too short and didn't have the right profile. I ordered the Micro handguard from HBI. Live and learn. I'll sell the factory handguard, flash can and bbl.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171020/d1f992cb45b740e1154d5d1f0ab7d93b.jpg

I will be nice and compact w/o the suppressor. I'll probably get a longer HBI rail to try once I sell the factory parts.