PDA

View Full Version : HK45C VS HK45 USP(Compact)Pistols

Killer Angel
10-08-08, 23:57
For those of you out there who have tried both the HK45C and HK45 USP(CompacT) pistols,how do they compare to each other?What are their differences and what are the advantages of each over the other?Which between the HK45C and HK45 USP(Compact),has a better trigger pull?And lastly,which between these two pistols,do you personally prefer?And why?
Thanks.

givo08
10-09-08, 08:06
I own the HK45c, and have spent some time at the range a few times in the past with a friend's USPc .45. I also spent a lot of time comparing the two at a gunshop before settling on the HK45c. The major difference between the two is ergonomics. The USPc just doesn't fit my hand well and doesn't point naturally, so clearly that was the deciding factor for me. If they both fit your hand equally well though, the advantages of the HK45c over the USPc .45 are:

1. Ambi slide stop
2. Enlarged mag release -- makes a big difference for me in dropping mags quickly
3. O-ring barrel -- questionable upgrade in accuracy...i'd love to hook both up to a ransom rest and do a statistical study on this :p
4. 1913 rail, although it's not enough rail space for most full size lights due to the location of the grooves and the length of the trigger guard. A TLR-1 will fit it though with a minor adjustment, and thankfully this is a solid light, but a surefire X200/300 will not fit.
5. Superluminova night sights -- better than plain white dots but I'd still replace with tritium.
6. Slightly more concealable -- slimmer slide, tapered slide shape, slightly thinner grip.

For the more subjective part, I'd say my trigger pull was much nicer than his, however I dry fire about ~200 times / day since I've owned the 45c since last February. I can't remember what it was like NIB, but it's smoothed out quite nicely. Both DA and SA are a bit on the heavy side (~12 lbs/5 lbs), but they are both smooth with no grittiness or stacking. The SA has a crisp break and short reset. My biggest complaint about the trigger is lack of an overtravel stop. I think this would improve performance considerably, and I'm looking at sending it to Grayguns or Bowie or Bill Springfield if any of them can improve this.

Obviously the biggest advantage for the USPc .45 is initial price. I've seen them as low as $659-699 NIB. The HK45c is typically between $750-830 NIB. In the long run I don't think that is enough of a cost difference to justify going with the USPc.

DacoRoman
10-11-08, 10:34
I own the HK45c, and have spent some time at the range a few times in the past with a friend's USPc .45. I also spent a lot of time comparing the two at a gunshop before settling on the HK45c. The major difference between the two is ergonomics. The USPc just doesn't fit my hand well and doesn't point naturally, so clearly that was the deciding factor for me. If they both fit your hand equally well though, the advantages of the HK45c over the USPc .45 are:

1. Ambi slide stop
2. Enlarged mag release -- makes a big difference for me in dropping mags quickly
3. O-ring barrel -- questionable upgrade in accuracy...i'd love to hook both up to a ransom rest and do a statistical study on this
4. 1913 rail, although it's not enough rail space for most full size lights due to the location of the grooves and the length of the trigger guard. A TLR-1 will fit it though with a minor adjustment, and thankfully this is a solid light, but a surefire X200/300 will not fit.
5. Superluminova night sights -- better than plain white dots but I'd still replace with tritium.
6. Slightly more concealable -- slimmer slide, tapered slide shape, slightly thinner grip.

For the more subjective part, I'd say my trigger pull was much nicer than his, however I dry fire about ~200 times / day since I've owned the 45c since last February. I can't remember what it was like NIB, but it's smoothed out quite nicely. Both DA and SA are a bit on the heavy side (~12 lbs/5 lbs), but they are both smooth with no grittiness or stacking. The SA has a crisp break and short reset. My biggest complaint about the trigger is lack of an overtravel stop. I think this would improve performance considerably, and I'm looking at sending it to Grayguns or Bowie or Bill Springfield if any of them can improve this.

Obviously the biggest advantage for the USPc .45 is initial price. I've seen them as low as $659-699 NIB. The HK45c is typically between $750-830 NIB. In the long run I don't think that is enough of a cost difference to justify going with the USPc.

What did you think about the relative recoil impulses and shot recovery when comparing the two pistols? Did you notice any significant difference?

givo08
10-12-08, 01:15
What did you think about the relative recoil impulses and shot recovery when comparing the two pistols? Did you notice any significant difference?

I found the recoil on the 45c to be more of a muzzle jump straight up and down vs. the USPc felt like it torque'd more in my grip. This really could have been due to it not fitting my hand well though (the USPc).