PDA

View Full Version : What replacement sights for Glock Gen 5?

Doc Safari
10-18-17, 09:42
For the Gen 5 Glock 17 I'd like to put steel sights on it, either night sights or not.

Does anybody have some pointers on what to get?

Sight height?

Do all aftermarket sights for the Glock 17 fit the Gen 5?

Nick B
10-18-17, 10:08
For just steel sights go to the store on Glock's website . Steel sights are 20 bucks a set .
On my 17 the rear is a 6.1 but it shoots a inch or so low at 10 yards . The next one up is 6.5 . For 10 bucks I might order one and try it .

HD1911
10-18-17, 10:16
For the Gen 5 Glock 17 I'd like to put steel sights on it, either night sights or not.

Sight height?

Take a serious look at the FBI Contract Ameriglo sights. If you want something in-hand to check out first before you buy, find yourself an Ameriglo equipped G17.5 or G19.5 at a LGS. They're essentially the same, but with a Square notch instead of the FBI's U-notch.

Doc Safari
10-18-17, 10:48
Take a serious look at the FBI Contract Ameriglo sights. If you want something in-hand to check out first before you buy, find yourself an Ameriglo equipped G17.5 or G19.5 at a LGS. They're essentially the same, but with a Square notch instead of the FBI's U-notch.

The LGS had a 19 with those sights on it IIRC. I thought they were hard to pick up.

Really, I may get by on the cheap and just replace the OEM plastic sights with steel ones and stick to the same design. Haven't decided yet.

HD1911
10-18-17, 11:04
The LGS had a 19 with those sights on it IIRC. I thought they were hard to pick up.

Really, I may get by on the cheap and just replace the OEM plastic sights with steel ones and stick to the same design. Haven't decided yet.

Oh man, I'm very surprised to hear that... my experience was quite the opposite. Short of a red fiber front in the bright sunlight, these appeared to be the next best thing, to me anyways.

Doc Safari
10-18-17, 11:10
Oh man, I'm very surprised to hear that... my experience was quite the opposite. Short of a red fiber front in the bright sunlight, these appeared to be the next best thing, to me anyways.

Well, my eyesight ain't too great. I actually have those BIG DOT sights on my Gen 4. YMMV.

HD1911
10-18-17, 11:18
Well, my eyesight ain't too great. I actually have those BIG DOT sights on my Gen 4. YMMV.

We are indeed talking about these, correct?

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m119/HD1911/Mobile%20Uploads/324CA24D-D195-4309-81A0-32ACE748B335_zpsqdi6wtej.jpg

Doc Safari
10-18-17, 11:22
We are indeed talking about these, correct?

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m119/HD1911/Mobile%20Uploads/324CA24D-D195-4309-81A0-32ACE748B335_zpsqdi6wtej.jpg

They did look a lot like those. I remember particularly the serrated grooves on the rear sight.

HD1911
10-18-17, 11:23
They did look a lot like those. I remember particularly the serrated grooves on the rear sight.

Gotcha. Just wanted to make sure.

Doc Safari
10-18-17, 11:26
ANY sights with small dots are useless to me.

HD1911
10-18-17, 11:28
ANY sights with small dots are useless to me.

How big of a dot are you looking for?? That's a pretty large orange circle... that front sight width is .140".

Or are you concerned with the subdued tritium vials in the rear? I guess I'm confused...

Doc Safari
10-18-17, 11:33
How big of a dot are you looking for?? That's a pretty large orange circle... that front sight width is .140".

Or are you concerned with the subdued tritium vials in the rear? I guess I'm confused...

All my Glocks either have the XS Big Dot sight sets, or OEM sights with a nice big dot and a U-notch. Lining up three little Tritium dots just ain't happenin' for me anymore.

HD1911
10-18-17, 11:39
All my Glocks either have the XS Big Dot sight sets, or OEM sights with a nice big dot and a U-notch. Lining up three little Tritium dots just ain't happenin' for me anymore.

That's just it, Mr. Doc... you only need to focus on that ginormous glaring blazing orange circle on the front sight. Find a little daylight on each side of her and blam. Easy peasy. No need to line up the 3 tritium vials. Waaaay higher viz than the OEM Plastic sights, both at night and during the day... and I'd venture to bet more visible than even your XS Big Dot. Of course, you are the best judge at what's most visible to your eyes, of course. But I guess I'm just kinda dumbfounded at hearing the Ameriglo Bolds being called Not Hi-Viz. Same as the Trijicon HDs. Kinda the opposite of Non Hi-Viz. :D

Doc Safari
10-18-17, 11:41
That's just it, Mr. Doc... you only need to focus on that ginormous glaring blazing orange circle on the front sight. Find a little daylight on each side of her and blam. Easy peasy. No need to line up the 3 tritium vials. Waaaay higher viz than the OEM Plastic sights, both at night and during the day... and I'd venture to bet more visible than even your XS Big Dot. Of course, you are the best judge at what's most visible to your eyes, of course. But I guess I'm just kinda dumbfounded at hearing the Ameriglo Bolds being called Not Hi-Viz. Same as the Trijicon HDs. Kinda the opposite of Non Hi-Viz. :D

Truth be told I didn't actually throw the pistol up to my eyes and sight through them. I just kinda looked down at the pistol and thought, "Tiny little dots. No thanks." Maybe I'll head back to that LGS and see if he's still got that pistol so I can look through the sights and see how visible the front is. I used to have Trijicon three-dot tritiums on most of my pistols, but that's back when I could see!

HD1911
10-18-17, 11:45
Truth be told I didn't actually throw the pistol up to my eyes and sight through them. I just kinda looked down at the pistol and thought, "Tiny little dots. No thanks." Maybe I'll head back to that LGS and see if he's still got that pistol so I can look through the sights and see how visible the front is. I used to have Trijicon three-dot tritiums on most of my pistols, but that's back when I could see!

Ummm... yes, we gotta get you back there ASAP! :D

You owe it to yourself.

Doc Safari
10-18-17, 13:06
I found this. I'll leave it here for "things that make you go 'Hmmmmmm.'"

Read the fine print about Gen 5 Glocks requiring a different sight height:

https://dawsonprecision.com/new-dawson-precision-glock-gen5-g17-competition-fixed-sight-set-black-rear-fiber-optic-front/

What sayest thou?

68whiskeyncoke
10-18-17, 19:44
Interesting. I have a pair of the Haley Thirteen sights on my Gen 5 17 and havent noticed any issues with sight alignment or POA/POI.

Linebacker
10-18-17, 20:23
In my opinion, Trijicon HD's is the holy grail of night sights, although expensive. I favor the U-notch and slightly taller sights.

MegademiC
10-18-17, 21:14
Fwiw people perceive orange/red and chartreuse differently. Some people find orange/red best - I lose it in quite a bit of various lighting and find the chartreuse easier to pick up. It’s the “green” as sold by trijicon and Ameriglo- check those out as well. I’m an i-dot fan so that narrows it down, but there are a lot of choices - browse Ameriglo a sight and try to find something local so you have an idea what real world use will look like.

PrivateCitizen
10-19-17, 11:13
I have been very happy with the Ameriglo Pro-IDOT

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YY2T4I/

They strike a perfect balance of "U-notch" only and a pattern on night sights (dot over dot 8 )

The under-dot is easy to 'ignore' in lit shooting while logical and uncluttered at night (I never like the three dot in the dark under pressure)

There is also a flat front for one-hand slide operation if that give you tingles. I have them on my G19s and will be adding them to my G26s.

ETA: Threre is also a green option which I have't tried: https://www.amazon.com/Ameriglo-Pro-IDOT-Glock-17-Green/dp/B006QP7R9A

Eurodriver
10-19-17, 11:21
I too am curious if Trijicon HDs would work on the Gen5. I like the Ameriglos but I have HDs on all my G19s and would like to keep the sight pictures the same. Do they require different height sights from previous Gens?

bear13
10-19-17, 17:05
I installed factory gen 4 height Glock sights on my gen 5. No problem there. Also the fbi sights are ridiculously brighter. You DO NOT LOOK AT THE TRITIUM VIALS. Never line three dots up by the dots....unless it is night time. The only reason you ever use the rear dots with the front is for a sight picture in the dark. The idea of the fbi sights is like trijicon hds. Just a better application. Have fbi sights in hand very nicely built. When sight picture comes up you have a giant front orange dot in between the black rear. About as fast as you get besides fiber. But with the advantage of a sight picture in ALL types of lighting.

Doc Safari
10-19-17, 17:08
I installed factory gen 4 height Glock sights on my gen 5. No problem there. Also the fbi sights are ridiculously brighter. You DO NOT LOOK AT THE TRITIUM VIALS. Never line three dots up by the dots....unless it is night time. The only reason you ever use the rear dots with the front is for a sight picture in the dark. The idea of the fbi sights is like trijicon hds. Just a better application. Have fbi sights in hand very nicely built. When sight picture comes up you have a giant front orange dot in between the black rear. About as fast as you get besides fiber. But with the advantage of a sight picture in ALL types of lighting.

I actually ordered the Dawson sights: bright front red fiber optic, black rear. I've learned from shooting that as long as you can see the front sight, the rear just needs a wide notch with plenty of light on either side of the front sight and you don't need dots on the rear. To boot: in the dark I'll have a bright hand-held tactical flashlight in the other hand anyway. On top of that, if I have to shoot a perp in the bedroom I probably won't take the time to line up the sights perfectly.

bear13
10-19-17, 17:12
Fair enough. I have ran fiber. I have also had fiber break. Hence why to me these fire on all cylinders.

Black rear. Whatever color front attracts your eyes is one of the fastest sight pictures.

These just came today. Waiting install
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171019/372e29bfc0a8da8c307b94126f651535.jpg

Doc Safari
10-19-17, 17:17
I have a request: since we don't know 100% if the Gen 5's require a different sight height.....

If you purchase sights meant for previous generations, would you for the benefit of other members test them out on your pistol and report back to us if they shot to POA on your Gen 5?

That would make this thread much more useful.

I personally think we will find out fairly quickly that most will be fine, but I could be wrong.

bear13
10-19-17, 17:30
I have a request: since we don't know 100% if the Gen 5's require a different sight height.....

If you purchase sights meant for previous generations, would you for the benefit of other members test them out on your pistol and report back to us if they shot to POA on your Gen 5?

I personally think we will find out fairly quickly that most will be fine, but I could be wrong.

I literally just wrote that I had installed gen 4 sights on my gen 5. The first time I responded to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc Safari
10-19-17, 17:32
I literally just wrote that I had installed gen 4 sights on my gen 5. The first time I responded to you

I know. Thank you for that. I was obviously addressing other members who might join this thread showing off what they bought. In fact, you gave me the idea to make the request. Fair enough?

bear13
10-19-17, 17:34
I know. Thank you for that. I was obviously addressing other members who might join this thread showing off what they bought. In fact, you gave me the idea to make the request. Fair enough?

The only time anyone made this a real issue was dawson. The fbi sights have to be a different height. They use 147 grn ammunition.

Doc Safari
10-19-17, 17:37
The only time anyone made this a real issue was dawson. The fbi sights have to be a different height. They use 147 grn ammunition.

Full disclosure: I didn't get out the calipers and measure my front sight, but shooting the pistol for the first time I thought the sight picture was "different" somehow and I kept looking at it thinking, "Are the sights taller or is there more light on either side of the front sight making it look taller?" Could be either one.

Could just be my perception. Since I don't keep track of what sights Glock installs on which pistols it wouldn't have done me any good to look for markings on the sights themselves. Since I've installed XS Big Dots on my other Glocks I couldn't exactly compare two pistols side-by-side either.

It's good to know what other people are putting on their Gen 5's though, just to establish the knowledge base. We've already seen from another thread and on other boards that the pistols seem to be zeroed better in a lot of cases with the rear sight drifted to the right a hair. Mine is.

The point is I'm assuming sights made for previous generations will be fine for the Gen 5 but then again it's good to get multiple reports one way or another.

Evan_O
10-19-17, 18:33
I have three gen5 G17s and two gen5 19s. I have used Heinie, Ameriglo Defoor, Dawson and meprolight sights on them. All of the mentioned sights are marketed and sold as gen3/ gen4 sights and all have shot poa/ poi.

bear13
10-19-17, 18:58
I have three gen5 G17s and two gen5 19s. I have used Heinie, Ameriglo Defoor, Dawson and meprolight sights on them. All of the mentioned sights are marketed and sold as gen3/ gen4 sights and all have shot poa/ poi.

Defoors are pretty sweet. I have not owned a set but have shot with them.

Eurodriver
10-19-17, 23:35
Full disclosure: I didn't get out the calipers and measure my front sight, but shooting the pistol for the first time I thought the sight picture was "different" somehow and I kept looking at it thinking, "Are the sights taller or is there more light on either side of the front sight making it look taller?" Could be either one.

Could just be my perception. Since I don't keep track of what sights Glock installs on which pistols it wouldn't have done me any good to look for markings on the sights themselves. Since I've installed XS Big Dots on my other Glocks I couldn't exactly compare two pistols side-by-side either.

It's good to know what other people are putting on their Gen 5's though, just to establish the knowledge base. We've already seen from another thread and on other boards that the pistols seem to be zeroed better in a lot of cases with the rear sight drifted to the right a hair. Mine is.

The point is I'm assuming sights made for previous generations will be fine for the Gen 5 but then again it's good to get multiple reports one way or another.

I can promise you that the sight picture on the factory G19.1-4 is significantly different than the G19.5. The sights are also very different. It’s not just your perception.

I might get the calipers out and measure the sight height with OEM plastics on a Gen4 and 5 and see if there is a difference.

The OEM Gen5 plastic sights are so good that I have considered leaving them on permanently.

bear13
10-20-17, 06:57
I can promise you that the sight picture on the factory G19.1-4 is significantly different than the G19.5. The sights are also very different. It’s not just your perception.

I might get the calipers out and measure the sight height with OEM plastics on a Gen4 and 5 and see if there is a difference.

The OEM Gen5 plastic sights are so good that I have considered leaving them on permanently.

The sights are different for sure, the markings in the rear and the gap is different. They are better. But they are still cheap plastic.

Eurodriver
10-20-17, 08:03
The sights are different for sure, the markings in the rear and the gap is different. They are better. But they are still cheap plastic.

So are MOE handguards and the frame of the G19 itself :)

bear13
10-20-17, 08:24
So are MOE handguards and the frame of the G19 itself :)

That is bullshit. High strength polymer and cheap plastic should never be compared.

sundance435
10-20-17, 10:40

I thought it was just me, but the factory plastic sights on the Gen5 19 I handled did seem quicker/easier to line up.

Doc Safari
10-20-17, 10:52

One would think that there is not. I'm reading multiple reports on this and other forums that sights made for previous Gen's shoot to POA on a Gen 5. But do tell us what you find.

You and me both. I think the disrespect for the plastic sights came from two things: holsters will eventually wear down the front sight from multiple presentations, and sometimes the front sight isn't very tightly installed and can be shot off. I actually shot one off a Gen 2 Glock 17 in the first hundred rounds or so over 20 years ago.

I still love the XS Big Dot sights, though. I broke down and ordered a set of those last night. I guess the Dawson sights will go in the spares box when they arrive. Then again, Glocks tend to breed in storage so they may get installed eventually.

MegademiC
10-20-17, 12:06
That is bullshit. High strength polymer and cheap plastic should never be compared.

It’s not BS. All plastic is polymer. Glocks and magpul furniture are plastic.

bear13
10-20-17, 13:24
It’s not BS. All plastic is polymer. Glocks and magpul furniture are plastic.

You really think they are all the same? Seriously? You can get cute with definitions but there is a huge difference in structure with cheap plastic and good polymers.

Plastic sights break. That is why people do not want to run them.

L-2
10-20-17, 13:40
For those who may not have closely examined the new G17Gen5 and G19Gen5, mine have the same front sight as current previous generations. On a side note referring to Post#37 of a front sight being "shot off". Old Glock front sights did not usually use a screw. They either were staked on; or used a pin to expand the front sight base. Glock front sights are now secured with a screw coming up through the slide from the bottom. Whether the screw-on method is stronger-or-not might be debatable, it definitely allows for easier removal, replacement, or re-use of the front sight. The current polymer Glock front sight is #6956.

On my Gen5 Glocks, the rear sights were marked 6.1 (mm) whereas prior G17 & G19 generations came with 6.5 (mm) rear sights. There were some reports/comments of others' Gen5 Glocks coming with 6.5 rear sights, but not mine. The new 6.1 polymer rear sight is narrower overall, and its notch is wider than the older #154 6.1mm rear polymer sight. Glock's latest parts list does indicate a new 6.5mm polymer rear sight for the Gen5 Glocks, part #39724, but I've not yet seen the part number for a Gen5 6.1mm rear sight.

Note, I don't think Glock used the #33270 6.1 G42/43 rear sight but I haven't yet closely compared the two. If I remember to do so, I'll look at my original G43 rear sight and my G17/19Gen5 rear sights, but I'm traveling right now and can't do so.

My G17/19Gen5 guns do seem to shoot lower at 15 yards (remember, mine came with 6.1 rear sights, not 6.5), but I've typically noticed most of my non-Gen5 Glocks shooting higher than point of aim (POA) anyway. (If there was one, a 6.3mm rear sight would probably be better for me.)

To answer the original post's title of "What replacement sights for Glock Gen 5?" the answer is always going to be anything you want and it's all personal preference. Night sights, steel sights, round rear notches, and different width front sights, are some of the many options out there. Every sight maker hopes it'll have just the right combination available to sell its sights to you.

PaLEOjd
10-20-17, 13:43
My G17.5 came with the Ameriglo night sights and they are definitely a bit taller than previous generation Glock OEM sights.
I have also installed standard Glock night sights and Trijicon's (6.5mm rear) out of curiosity and can confirm that they are both POA/POI, just like previous generations. Not sure about Mepro's, I didn't get around to swapping them over yet but I do know the Mepro rear is a bit taller than the standard 6.5mm.
The Gen.5 OEM plastic sights are definitely tad taller than previous generations and have a wider rear notch. It really doesn't matter that they are taller because both the front and rear are taller, so they align properly.
A good example of sight height can be found on the Dawson Precision page, I can't explain it near as well as they do.

Doc Safari
10-20-17, 14:22
For those who may not have closely examined the new G17Gen5 and G19Gen5, mine have the same front sight as current previous generations. On a side note referring to Post#37 of a front sight being "shot off". Old Glock front sights did not usually use a screw. They either were staked on; or used a pin to expand the front sight base. Glock front sights are now secured with a screw coming up through the slide from the bottom. Whether the screw-on method is stronger-or-not might be debatable, it definitely allows for easier removal, replacement, or re-use of the front sight. The current polymer Glock front sight is #6956.

Thanks for posting this. I would never have thought to look and see if they changed the sights and the way they are mounted. Yes, the one I shot off was one that relied on the pinned-to-expand method. IIRC that sight was a little wobbly in its mount even before it went flying.

Based on your post, I may just keep the OEM sights for a while. The other main beef, holster wear, might have been improved upon also if they started making the sights from the same polymer as the frame. I frankly don't know if they do or do not.

Eurodriver
10-20-17, 16:54
My G17.5 came with the Ameriglo night sights and they are definitely a bit taller than previous generation Glock OEM sights.
I have also installed standard Glock night sights and Trijicon's (6.5mm rear) out of curiosity and can confirm that they are both POA/POI, just like previous generations. Not sure about Mepro's, I didn't get around to swapping them over yet but I do know the Mepro rear is a bit taller than the standard 6.5mm.
The Gen.5 OEM plastic sights are definitely tad taller than previous generations and have a wider rear notch. It really doesn't matter that they are taller because both the front and rear are taller, so they align properly.
A good example of sight height can be found on the Dawson Precision page, I can't explain it near as well as they do.

I just measured a Gen5 and Gen4 side by side with OEM plastic sights.

Gen5 Front .145”
Rear .185”

Gen4 front .145”
Rear .165”

Doc Safari
10-20-17, 16:58
I just measured a Gen5 and Gen4 side by side with OEM plastic sights.

Gen5 Front .145”
Rear .185”

Gen4 front .140”
Rear .165”

Would that be enough to notice a "significant" difference in POA if you installed Gen 4 height sights on a Gen 5, or are those few thousands/hundredths of an inch not even going to be noticed for the most part.

EDITED TO ADD:

Let me clarify. Obviously there would be difference, but for practical accuracy would it translate to a difference in "inches" of POA, or just "fractions of an inch" in POA?

Biggy
10-20-17, 17:19
The following formula can be used to determine front sight height or rear sight height height for that matter, like if you mix and match different brands of front and rear sights. http://stores.kensight.com/front-sight-height-guide/

L-2
10-20-17, 19:54
Here are photos of the stock Glock polymer sights on my G19Gen5. The photos depict the "6.1" and the shorter width of the rear sight.

Eurodriver
10-20-17, 23:17
Would that be enough to notice a "significant" difference in POA if you installed Gen 4 height sights on a Gen 5, or are those few thousands/hundredths of an inch not even going to be noticed for the most part.

EDITED TO ADD:

Let me clarify. Obviously there would be difference, but for practical accuracy would it translate to a difference in "inches" of POA, or just "fractions of an inch" in POA?

That is an excellent question and my gut says that it will affect it significantly (in handgun terms) at 25y. Certainly from a POA with the front sight bisecting the target (how I like it) to perhaps a 6:00 hold.

I will say this - right now my Gen5 shoots exactly to POA POI at 25y. I want to keep it that way. I do not see how switching to Gen4 height aftermarket sights would retain that.

bill530
10-21-17, 00:09
My experience with oem Glock sights on gen 3 and 4 pistols have always seemed to impact a few inches high from point of aim at 25 yards requiring more of a 6 o clock hold. My gen 5 17 seemed to be much closer to poa/poi at 25 with the plastic sights. I did install Proctor y notch sights on it and they also seem to be poa/poi. Just my experience anyways with a sample size of one gen 5 pistol.

Mjolnir
02-18-18, 11:19
AmeriGlo GL -947 or GL-847

Chipper78
02-24-18, 18:46
Maybe I should start my own thread to ask this question but this seems as good a place as any since it’s already about Glock sights. Who here has actually seen with their own eyes a set of stock Glock sights break?I mean you saw it, you were there. It happened to you or a friend and you have first hand knowledge of it. Not something you read on a forum or heard about from some you tuber. I ask because I have recently acquired a gen 5 19 and a gen 5 26. I’ve already purchased new sights for them because that’s what everyone says you’re supposed to do, that and I had Amazon points to burn. But I can’t help wondering just how necessary it is to replace them. I’ve had both guns to the range with the stock plastic sights and I shot rather well with them, and I didn’t really mind the goal post and dot arrangement like I thought I would. Reading through this thread I see where some people are considering leaving the plastic sights on, and others consider that to be foolish. I just wonder where the whole “you have to replace them first thing” deal came from. Thanks.

Mjolnir
02-24-18, 21:12
AmeriGlo GL-947 or AmeriGlo GL-847

Warp
02-24-18, 22:53
In my opinion, Trijicon HD's is the holy grail of night sights, although expensive. I favor the U-notch and slightly taller sights.

That's where I am sitting.

I too am curious if Trijicon HDs would work on the Gen5. I like the Ameriglos but I have HDs on all my G19s and would like to keep the sight pictures the same. Do they require different height sights from previous Gens?

Old post I know, but I'm not happy with my 'old' Trij HD model on my Gen5 G26.

G26.5 with Trijicon HD GL101-Y
https://i.imgur.com/MuvAE6k.jpg

For me, it shot high. And not just with 147gr ammo, with all of it.

Here was a back to back I did to compare.

Old Faithful G19.4 with GL101-Y
https://i.imgur.com/t1osLxU.jpg

G26.5 with GL101-Y
https://i.imgur.com/vxKrcBv.jpg

EDITED TO ADD:

For me in my comparison so far, it's a self-defense-relevant discrepancy. I haven't been shooting Glocks the last month or so to put more effort into determining if an ammo swap would cover it, etc, but the fact is that with multiple ammo types (including lighter weight than the 147 pictured above), the G26.5 with the same old Trij HD sights printed noticeably higher for me, same sight picture same everything, than several other Gen3/4 Glocks with the same sights shot the same way with the same ammo. Only the Gen5 threw them high.

Maybe I should start my own thread to ask this question but this seems as good a place as any since it’s already about Glock sights. Who here has actually seen with their own eyes a set of stock Glock sights break?I mean you saw it, you were there. It happened to you or a friend and you have first hand knowledge of it. Not something you read on a forum or heard about from some you tuber. I ask because I have recently acquired a gen 5 19 and a gen 5 26. I’ve already purchased new sights for them because that’s what everyone says you’re supposed to do, that and I had Amazon points to burn. But I can’t help wondering just how necessary it is to replace them. I’ve had both guns to the range with the stock plastic sights and I shot rather well with them, and I didn’t really mind the goal post and dot arrangement like I thought I would. Reading through this thread I see where some people are considering leaving the plastic sights on, and others consider that to be foolish. I just wonder where the whole “you have to replace them first thing” deal came from. Thanks.

I haven't seen it. I have also replaced the sites on all of my Glocks before even taking them to the range for the first time over at least the past decade.

If it is to be a defensive pistol it ought to have (tritium) night sights anyway IMO

ST911
02-24-18, 23:41

They can last a long time and many have good luck with them. Most who do simply don't use them in enough volume or intensity. The plastic pinned on models could come off over time or when hit just right. In duty holsters, the edges would wear or round due to internal friction. Some duty and CCW holsters are worse than others. The sight picture is also a little wonky until the gen5 variant. In the earlier, shooters would often align the sights high so that the ball was round when in the bucket, rather than the bottom third cut off for proper placement in the rear notch. This is corrected in the gen5 version. Pin-on fronts were replaced with screw-on years ago. Still plastic though. They could be functional, but there are better options.

I have replaced dozens of front sights due to the above.

I routinely reinstall improperly installed screw-on aftermarket front sights. Many folks don't use a thread locker, or enough torque, or bother to straighten them.

Chipper78
02-25-18, 08:37
Thanks for the replies. I’m going to go ahead and change them out since I have them. Hopefully I don’t run into any issues with them shooting high.

RHINOWSO
02-25-18, 13:54
On my Glock 19s I have been using Ameriglo I-Dot Pros, however I tried a set of the Ameriglo Agent sights and really really like them. They have some specifically for the Gen 5 (mine are all Gen4s).

SickMAK90
05-20-18, 10:29
My 19.5 came with a 6.5 marked rear sights while my 26.5 came with a 6.1 marked rear.

I’m about to order a set of sights for the 26 but I can’t decide which I should buy. The sights on the 26.5 appear to be the same height as the front and rear factory sights from my 19FS.

Should I get gen 4 or gen 5 sights?

OxWhite
05-20-18, 12:27
I have seen ameriglows. They are nice

L-2
05-20-18, 14:20
My 19.5 came with a 6.5 marked rear sights while my 26.5 came with a 6.1 marked rear.

I’m about to order a set of sights for the 26 but I can’t decide which I should buy. The sights on the 26.5 appear to be the same height as the front and rear factory sights from my 19FS.

Should I get gen 4 or gen 5 sights?
-Measure the sights on your G26Gen5 to ensure what you actually have installed right now. One person's Gen5 may have different height front or rear sights that someone else's.

-If you're OK with how it's already sighted-in, then, if you can, order the same heights for front & rear.

My G19Gen5 and G17Gen5 came with the standard .165" fronts (~4.1mm); and 6.1mm rears. Another guy got the .165" front with a 6.5mm rear.
I hit fine with the G19Gen5 with those sight heights, but hit better using the G17Gen5 using a 6.5mm rear.

I've also read a report somewhere where somebody got the newer 4.9mm front sight (~.192") on his new G26Gen5.
All this may be further confused if going with some of the newer Ameriglo night sight sets. I don't know how tall the Ameriglo rear sights are folks are buying and Ameriglo has some night sights with individual front sights of .180", .200", or .220".

SickMAK90
05-20-18, 14:22
I’m going to have to take it for another range session before I decide. It did seem to be shooting low at 10 yards but seems about right at 25. I was also shooting a g19 that day so next time I’ll take the 26 only to verify where my zero is.

titsonritz
05-20-18, 16:04
Do some one-handed clearance drills, you'll see how long stock Glock sights last pretty fast.

jwfuhrman
05-20-18, 16:20
I use Haley Strategic Thirteen Sights on Glock I own now after running them for the last 2 years on my Lonewolf Glock. Picked up a Gen 5 17 and immediately got the HSP sights. No difference in POA/POI for me.

TRSTNG
05-20-18, 16:37
I like Ameriglo Hackathorns. Plain rear nice bright front post. Ameriglo makes great aftermarket Glock sights.

Walker_Texasranger
05-20-18, 18:18
Gen 5s need taller front sights to maintain the same POI of previous gens. Dawson is selling specific gen 5 sights. Something to do with how they lock up differently.

TRSTNG
05-20-18, 18:22
Gen 5s need taller front sights to maintain the same POI of previous gens. Dawson is selling specific gen 5 sights. Something to do with how they lock up differently.

Not my experience and I now own seven Gen 5 Glocks. And once again, if you are looking for some kind of super-dooper target/match grade handgun...the Glock ain't it. Want a handgun that puts rounds *effectively* on target? Glock all the way.

SickMAK90
05-21-18, 09:14
I went ahead and installed the steel sights from my gen 4 “summer special”. I cannot see any difference in height between the stock gen 5 sights and the “summer special” sights.

The stock plastic front sight was already getting beat up from a JM custom kydex IWB holster...

MountainRaven
05-21-18, 13:36
Not my experience and I now own seven Gen 5 Glocks. And once again, if you are looking for some kind of super-dooper target/match grade handgun...the Glock ain't it. Want a handgun that puts rounds *effectively* on target? Glock all the way.

I don't know what you're trying to suggest, here.

RHINOWSO
05-21-18, 16:20
I don't know what you're trying to suggest, here.

I don't think he does either.

It's a pretty well accepted fact that Gen 5 9MMs need different sights than Gen 4 for a similar POA-POI relationship.

Or maybe Ameriglo just makes Gen 5 specifics sights for $hits and grins????

Walker_Texasranger
05-21-18, 17:23
I don't think he does either.

It's a pretty well accepted fact that Gen 5 9MMs need different sights than Gen 4 for a similar POA-POI relationship.

Or maybe Ameriglo just makes Gen 5 specifics sights for $hits and grins????

I think he was saying that he doesn’t care how accurate his sights are or what his zero is. That’s what I took from it.

MegademiC
05-21-18, 22:22
I think he was saying that he doesn’t care how accurate his sights are or what his zero is. That’s what I took from it.

Confused as well. I was going to respond but deleted it as it looked like he was “baiting”. I didnt see where anyone stated that the glock is match grade or capable of 1” groups at 50 or even 25yds, so i can only assume he created an argument to argue.

Mr_Happy1
05-21-18, 23:52
Has anyone put night sights on a Gen 5 26? I will be getting one soon, and I would like to put Heinie's on it. I saw they offer a Gen 5 specific model, so I think I should be ok.
A

TRSTNG
05-22-18, 16:23

Nope, he was not saying that, just trying to make clear again that folks looking for "match" accuracy in a Glock are looking for the Glock to be not a Glock. Not baiting or otherwise. Just the facts amigos.

parishioner
08-17-18, 13:16
Has anyone tried Defoor’s on their Gen 5s?

As far as I know there aren’t Defoor Gen 5 specific sights yet.

vicb
08-19-18, 09:37
Has anyone put night sights on a Gen 5 26? I will be getting one soon, and I would like to put Heinie's on it. I saw they offer a Gen 5 specific model, so I think I should be ok.
A

Yes, I installed the Trijicon HD-XR sight on my G26.5. Life haven’t taken it to the range yet but will next week.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180819/6f720e30f7de830de0d242d1331db3c9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180819/903dc5b89fa4023460674d42b869214e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

08-19-18, 11:39
I like the bright colored front sight and a subdued rear sight. I don't really care about shooting at distance..min of man is perfectly fine with me. Something fast on target with a noticeable front sight is what I am after.

carl.c
08-19-18, 13:23
I've have Defoors on my 19.5. So far matches up ok for POA/POI.

sndt1319
08-19-18, 20:50
The stock night sights on the 19X have worked great for me. I don’t see any reason to swap them out for something different at this point but they are a far cry from the standard plastic Glock sights.

El_Chingon
08-19-18, 22:51
I replaced my G19X night sights to Ameriglo yellow night sights. i was not a fan of the original sights on the G19X

MStarmer
08-20-18, 13:43
I think just about any Glock sights will fit, but most aren't giving any guarantee on poa/poi (other than Dawson). I ran a set of Proctor "Y" notch sights and they were pretty much dead on at 25yds. I don't care for the shape of his new rear sight so now I'm running a Combat Precision rear with a Dawson Precision front, but it had to be .245 to get my poa where it needed to be. Awesome setup though.

Pic is with the stock front but the dawson pretty much is the same thing but taller.
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1813/44111740972_79a5819b97.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2ad1cL9)Combat_Precision copy (https://flic.kr/p/2ad1cL9) by Michael Starmer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/156641484@N07/), on Flickr

hile
08-20-18, 13:47
I'm running Dawson adjustables on all of my Glocks (fiber front), except the ones that will have a red dot. Those get fixed Dawson all black sights.

parishioner
09-28-18, 13:46
Am I correct in assuming this is the corresponding steel sight for the 6.1 polymer one currently on my 17.5 or are these designed for Gen 1-4? Someone earlier indicated the polymer Gen 5 6.1 notch was wider than the previous 6.1 sight.

https://store.teamglock.com/gun-parts/slide-parts/sights-tools/glock-steel-rear-sight-6-1mm.html

I enjoy the Glock sight picture and just want a steel set.

L-2
09-28-18, 19:10
Am I correct in assuming this is the corresponding steel sight for the 6.1 polymer one currently on my 17.5 or are these designed for Gen 1-4? Someone earlier indicated the polymer Gen 5 6.1 notch was wider than the previous 6.1 sight.

https://store.teamglock.com/gun-parts/slide-parts/sights-tools/glock-steel-rear-sight-6-1mm.html

This is a wrong assumption as the Gen5 Glocks come with its "GMS" rear sights. Currently, there is no metal-only GMS rear sight.

I recommend shooting the stock Gen5 sights to ensure the point-of-impacts are where you want them. A few of us with Gen5 Glocks have switched to the Gen1-Gen4 sight heights as the Gen5 models were hitting too low for us.

mbinky
09-29-18, 13:11
You know I though the rear sight on my 17.5 looked a little different (std. polymer). It is definitely wider and it has a "6.5" printed in the notch.

So if I wanted to put on Trijicon or factory GNS on would the regular ones for the gen 1-4 work?

L-2
09-29-18, 19:07
You know I though the rear sight on my 17.5 looked a little different (std. polymer). It is definitely wider and it has a "6.5" printed in the notch.

So if I wanted to put on Trijicon or factory GNS on would the regular ones for the gen 1-4 work?

Here's some more info and some advice/recommendations.
I just got back to this thread after looking at Glock's latest parts list. Glock now has its "GMS" rear sights offered as "night sight" versions.
I've not seen, ordered, or used these sights (yet). If they're metal, this could be what those who want a Glock GMS, aka Gen5, rear sight in metal. These come in 6.1, 6.5, 6.9, or 7.3mm heights and will then need to paired with a front sight of appropriate height (perhaps a metal night sight, too).

Glock's GMS front night sights come in two heights, 4.1 or 4.9mm. Before the GMS/Gen5 models came out, Glock's front sights only came in the 4.1mm height.

For me, my two Gen5 Glocks came with sights which hit lower than I'm accustomed. I was aware of Glock's changes in sight heights, and thought the new models somehow were hitting higher than the older Gen Glocks. All I know is that there are others besides me who were hitting too low with the sights Glock is putting on its Gen5 models. I (we) found the regular 4.1/6.5mm (front/rear) sights are hitting fine in my (our) Gen5 models.

This got a bit more complicated when I bought an Ameriglo-brand sight set, advertised for Gen5 models, with a .200" front and 6.9mm rear (sorry for the inches vs. mm lack of conversion) but I was able to use the front and rear using other spare sights I had in my parts box instead of just trying to return them.

Yet there are some folks who seem OK with the sight heights Glock is installing on its Gen5 guns. I really recommend confirming one's shooting with the provided sights to ensure ordering a set which is RIGHT FOR YOU. My Gen5 G17 and G19 came with the usual 4.1mm front but with 6.1mm GMS rear sights. Other folks have received Gen5 Glocks with 4.9mm front sights; and then there are the Ameriglo brand sights and I'm not aware of all Ameriglo sight height variations (yet).

parishioner
10-04-18, 17:38
Here's some more info and some advice/recommendations.
I just got back to this thread after looking at Glock's latest parts list. Glock now has its "GMS" rear sights offered as "night sight" versions.
I've not seen, ordered, or used these sights (yet). If they're metal, this could be what those who want a Glock GMS, aka Gen5, rear sight in metal. These come in 6.1, 6.5, 6.9, or 7.3mm heights and will then need to paired with a front sight of appropriate height (perhaps a metal night sight, too).

Glock's GMS front night sights come in two heights, 4.1 or 4.9mm. Before the GMS/Gen5 models came out, Glock's front sights only came in the 4.1mm height.

Thanks for the info. The GMS night sight does appear to be a tritium 3 dot setup. Not sure how long I can hold out waiting for metal GMS with the Glock sight picture. May have to just go with something else.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181004/f0aed71ef6c5c9a7647bdffa774c16cd.png

mbinky
10-04-18, 19:33
Does anyone know why the sights for the gen 5 changed? Did the slide/bore height change or something or was it just the notch width?

MountainRaven
10-04-18, 20:44
Does anyone know why the sights for the gen 5 changed? Did the slide/bore height change or something or was it just the notch width?

From what I understand, the improved lock-up has resulted in a POI shift trend in the Gen5 guns (I say trend, because I have seen factory Gen5 guns with factory-installed sights that are both the normal Gen4/3 height rear and Gen5 height sights).

mbinky
10-05-18, 08:27
Thanks for all the reply's guys. One last question if I may. How do you determine the front sight height of the factory plastic sights without measuring? My rear is clearly marked 6.5, and my front has one dot on the right side. Would this be a 4.1 or 4.9 front sight? Looking at GT Distributors website it lists two heights for the front gen 5 GMS night sight.

I prefer Glock factory NS and if I decide to add them I want to make sure I get the correct ones.

I will say I definitely prefer the sight picture with the wider rear notch on the factory plastics.

ETA: I measured my front sight and got 4.09mm (from top of sight to top of slide) with my digital caliper so I guess I need the 4.1mm GMS. My rear sight measured 6.49mm (marked 6.5) from top of sight to bottom of dovetail.

sjc3081
10-05-18, 18:07
This is what I did, I called Ameriglo customer service. The tech guy was was very qualified, I gave him my wishes/ requirements. I wanted point of aim and point of impact dead on at 25 yards. Narrow front sight green tritium and subdued rear dual green tritium wide notch. I was set up with a custom set for $100 shipped.

MStarmer
10-22-18, 10:51
There are so many good choices out there. For me Ameriglo Hacks or Bold are my preference but I'm growing very fond of a fiber optic front with a Combat Precision rear (bottom pic). I have come to the conclusion though that for me I almost always start with the rear sight I want, install a plain blade front and then after shooting order a front sight that will give me the POA/POI I'm looking for. Some people aren't as picky so out of the box works. For me it doesn't.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/893/41414615071_39238d624a_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/266EJcr)Sights (https://flic.kr/p/266EJcr) by Michael Starmer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/156641484@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1813/44111740972_79a5819b97.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2ad1cL9)Combat_Precision copy (https://flic.kr/p/2ad1cL9) by Michael Starmer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/156641484@N07/), on Flickr

RHINOWSO
10-22-18, 11:06
While not shown above, Ameriglo Agents give a similar sight picture to Trijicon HDs.

Basically they are Ameriglo's Bold with a rear U-notch sight.

parishioner
11-03-18, 22:07
So 10-8 claims the sights didn’t change.....

This is from their website when I was looking at their rear sight.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181104/ecc00c84b206faa0444a25b1b7e718fe.png

Tigereye
11-04-18, 05:16
For those of you who like the Trijicon HD's. https://www.armsunlimited.com/Trijicon-HD-Tactical-GLOCK-Night-Sights-9mm-40cal-p/gl101.htm

crazymailman
11-04-18, 18:19
I have the Trijicon HDs on my 19, but if I were to buy today I would most likely get the Night Fision Accur8 sights.

jpeto3969
11-05-18, 18:22
I replaced my G19X night sights to Ameriglo yellow night sights. i was not a fan of the original sights on the G19X

Are these gen 5 specific sights or no?

davidjinks
11-06-18, 07:33
I really like Glock brand night sites. They’re relatively inexpensive, bright and they work. If you’re not a night site person, Glock standard steel sites cannot be beat. Easy to use, fairly accurate and inexpensive.

The Agent Sites are good but I haven’t had luck with them with getting proper POA/POI. Of course, I’m lazy and don’t want to purchase different height sites to experiment.

Sight height?

Ironbutt
11-06-18, 08:29
I have Ameriglo Hackathorn's on my G19.4 & the I-dots on my G17.4. The big orange circle on both really draws my old eyes to the front sight. After eight months of shooting my 19x I'm not really happy with the factory sights that came on my it, so I'm going to replace them with either the I-Dots or Hacks. I just haven't decided which.

Looking on Ameriglo's web site, they have the same sight sets for Gen 5, but they have different part numbers than the other generations. They don't list the sight heights , so I'm not sure if there's an actual difference or not.

jpeto3969
11-06-18, 08:42
I have Ameriglo Hackathorn's on my G19.4 & the I-dots on my G17.4. The big orange circle on both really draws my old eyes to the front sight. After eight months of shooting my 19x I'm not really happy with the factory sights that came on my it, so I'm going to replace them with either the I-Dots or Hacks. I just haven't decided which.

Looking on Ameriglo's web site, they have the same sight sets for Gen 5, but they have different part numbers than the other generations. They don't list the sight heights , so I'm not sure if there's an actual difference or not.

I just put hackathorns on my 19x last night. They’re NOT the gen 5 specific hackathorns so we will see how they shoot here soon, opens at 10. I can tell you they come with the .165” front sight. I’ll post after after I’m done.

jpeto3969
11-06-18, 09:43
So, after installing the ameriglo hackathorn sights for glocks other than gen 5, I’d say they’re shooting poa using the combat sight pic.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181106/c2f5798339b13e54cde15e97f33d6ec0.jpg
This is 10yds

NQNPIII
11-11-18, 21:43

Gen4 23 notch width .365 Gen5 26 .625

Front sights on G4 19+23 .61

front on G5 26 .575 rear is marked 6.1 reading from the top of the slide to the top of the rear sight 5.8

front G4 17 6.6 / rear 6.6 of the slide to the top of the sight

'nuther G4 17 front 6.1 / rear 6.8 off the slide to the top of the sight

And just because I have a G21

G4 21 front 6.3 / rear 8.1

We're all over the friggin map here boys and girls.............

I installed some Ameriglo's

G4 19 with FBI Agent Ameriglo front 8.0 / rear 7.5 top of slide to the top of the sight

Not sure where my numbers are supposed to be measured on from the rear sights. :confused: