PDA

View Full Version : Cobalt Kinetics, where does it fit in the AR world

TactiCool1976
10-19-17, 14:28
So i snagged one a week ago on a deal that i couldn't pass up... and when i was at the gun range yesterday, someone asked me about the rifle and i wasn't sure how to explain it... i mean i know it's high end.. but is it more of a race gun, or is it a battle rifle? or a bit of both? i know from reading about Cobalt Kinetics, that in the beginning they basically ran their guns till they died to find out what worked and what didnt...

Stickman
10-19-17, 14:44
So i snagged one a week ago on a deal that i couldn't pass up... and when i was at the gun range yesterday, someone asked me about the rifle and i wasn't sure how to explain it... i mean i know it's high end.. but is it more of a race gun, or is it a battle rifle? or a bit of both? i know from reading about Cobalt Kinetics, that in the beginning they basically ran their guns till they died to find out what worked and what didnt...

Battle Rifle = .308

How much did you pay? What caliber and model is it?

albatros43
10-19-17, 14:44

I think they fall into the "TactiCool" category :) Seriously though, I'd say race gun, and definitely not battle rifle.

TomMcC
10-19-17, 15:14
I would call it a highly stylized boutique gun. But if it works, and works well.....who cares? I shoot with guys that have highly stylized and customized pistols and they work really well. Shoot the bajeebers out of your new stick and tells us how it's going.

AnaH12
10-19-17, 15:29
I think they fall into the "TactiCool" category :) Seriously though, I'd say race gun, and definitely not battle rifle.

totally agree with you

TomMcC
10-19-17, 15:41
Serious bling to compete with your Cobalt.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/10/19/airborne-arms-herja-1300-yard-supersonic-ar-15-cartridge-224-valkyrie/

TactiCool1976
10-19-17, 15:41
Battle Rifle = .308

How much did you pay? What caliber and model is it?

its the 223 wylde.. as for the model..... i dont know... cuz the one i have is not like the ones on their website it's like a mix of two.. the LGS i go to, and bought it from, the GM, said it was a custom gun that cobalt had done up and only made 4 of them.. as for the price...... lol under 1700$

Sry0fcr
10-19-17, 15:44
I dunno where they fit in. Functional modern art?

Stickman
10-19-17, 15:56
its the 223 wylde.. as for the model..... i dont know... cuz the one i have is not like the ones on their website it's like a mix of two.. the LGS i go to, and bought it from, the GM, said it was a custom gun that cobalt had done up and only made 4 of them.. as for the price...... lol under 1700$

Sounds like we are rounding it off to $1700. Did it come with anything? They are a very niche market, some people are going to hate on their looks, personally I don't feel all AR15s need to look the same.

5.56 Bonded SP
10-19-17, 16:05
Yikes
For their LE/MIL lineup I was not very impressed...

I don't think I have ever seen a gun description that says milspec magazine release but then not mention the receiver materials..

No nitride or chrome lined barrel either?

Weight cited at 14lbs

Sounds like a great investment

Recon line
https://www.cobaltkinetics.com/product/recon

Eclipse line
https://www.cobaltkinetics.com/product/eclipse

TactiCool1976
10-19-17, 23:40
Sounds like we are rounding it off to $1700. Did it come with anything? They are a very niche market, some people are going to hate on their looks, personally I don't feel all AR15s need to look the same.

yea it was just under 1700... and nope no RDS or anything, one of the guys at the gun store sold me his vortex strikefire 2 for a 100$ so i put that on... as for the actual details of the rifle, the next time i stop in i'll see what i can find out... i do know it doesnt have the " dual drop " , has a 18 inch barrel, has the muzzel break of the "edge"... it could be a custom "edge" version.. idk... if i knew how to put up pictures on here i would ...

TactiCool1976
10-19-17, 23:41
Here we gohttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171020/fce078dffeff66b198481135d3b48ff1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171020/84068dd84b4fa83d7fe526f964f7c8c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

VIP3R 237
10-20-17, 00:00
Disclaimer: I work for Cobalt. Receivers and hand guards are 7075 T651, barrels were QPQ’d 4150 cmv but aware now LiFe treated 4150 cmv . It’s a new treatment done by Parker Trutec that is kind of the next evolution of nitride:
‘The LiFe Process offers in comparison to our traditional nitride, creates a smoother (less porosity) surface finish, this imparts higher corrosion resistance and lubricity characteristics. The hardness and depth are almost identical to the QPQ process. Most firearms manufacturers are reporting a major increase on wear properties also. In my opinion the oxide is also a deeper black with the LiFe process. This process is unique to Parker TruTec MMI and the Tennessee plant we are the only company in the U.S. doing anything like this using nitrocarburizing.’

Yikes
For their LE/MIL lineup I was not very impressed...

I don't think I have ever seen a gun description that says milspec magazine release but then not mention the receiver materials..

No nitride or chrome lined barrel either?

Weight cited at 14lbs

Sounds like a great investment

Recon line
https://www.cobaltkinetics.com/product/recon

Eclipse line
https://www.cobaltkinetics.com/product/eclipse

TactiCool1976
10-20-17, 00:07
And a couple morehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171020/20213a032a9dfc61be2f1e1e5e8fd154.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171020/efb51d7fb40bfcd9ea34c101840d868f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171020/f8f25acfaba25b6dcf4a5649aa369fe8.jpg

5.56 Bonded SP
10-20-17, 00:46
Disclaimer: I work for Cobalt. Receivers and hand guards are 7075 T651, barrels were QPQ’d 4150 cmv but aware now LiFe treated 4150 cmv . It’s a new treatment done by Parker Trutec that is kind of the next evolution of nitride:
‘The LiFe Process offers in comparison to our traditional nitride, creates a smoother (less porosity) surface finish, this imparts higher corrosion resistance and lubricity characteristics. The hardness and depth are almost identical to the QPQ process. Most firearms manufacturers are reporting a major increase on wear properties also. In my opinion the oxide is also a deeper black with the LiFe process. This process is unique to Parker TruTec MMI and the Tennessee plant we are the only company in the U.S. doing anything like this using nitrocarburizing.’

You guys need to post those specs on your website, I bet your sales would increase.

vicious_cb
10-20-17, 02:25
I dunno where they fit in. Functional modern art?

The AR as a fashion statement has been going on for a while. While I dont mind it some companies tend to go full retard.

JC5188
10-20-17, 06:21
And a couple morehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171020/20213a032a9dfc61be2f1e1e5e8fd154.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171020/efb51d7fb40bfcd9ea34c101840d868f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171020/f8f25acfaba25b6dcf4a5649aa369fe8.jpg

Two side forward assist???

RVTMaverick
10-20-17, 06:38
CONGRADS!

From the 1st time I ever saw one of these I thought.... That thing looks AWESOME!

Plus with the extra features of certain models and how they operate is SWEET! IMHO that is.... Last round fired, mag. auto drop while bolt held open, feed another mag. auto chambers next round! Plus others
features..... ME Likiee :cool:

Please keep us posted how she shoots/Review.;)

Peace Jeff

Tx_Aggie
10-20-17, 07:19
Two side forward assist???

I think the forward assist also drops the bolt on these guns, so those are ambi bolt releases.

seedubs1
10-20-17, 07:49
Everybody hates on it looking like a space gun.....but they're one of the few companies actually innovating and making something different in the AR market. Good on them for that.

Lots of people heap praises on KAC for innovation to the AR platform.....but hate on Cobalt for innovation.....double standard much?

RVTMaverick
10-20-17, 08:27
Everybody hates on it looking like a space gun.....but they're one of the few companies actually innovating and making something different in the AR market. Good on them for that.

Lots of people heap praises on KAC for innovation to the AR platform.....but hate on Cobalt for innovation.....double standard much?

YOU Must not have read My Reply, Saying "Everybody hates on it looking like a space gun" Also, I could careless if somebody doesn't like the look of my AR and or anything as for that matter..;)
I for 1 love the look of it, I think it looks Awesome ::cool:

Eurodriver
10-20-17, 09:09
Is innovation just for the sake of innovation a good thing? Are cosmetic enhancements actually beneficial?

Is the extra money spent on this rifle over a 6920 going to result in more putting rounds on target more quickly and more accurately?

seedubs1
10-20-17, 09:10
"Everybody" isn't meant to be taken literally. Most on this board will hate it solely because it looks like a space gun.

YOU Must not have read My Reply, Saying "Everybody hates on it looking like a space gun" Also, I could careless if somebody doesn't like the look of my AR and or anything as for that matter..;)
I for 1 love the look of it, I think it looks Awesome ::cool:

seedubs1
10-20-17, 09:12
Substitute Cobalt for KAC, BCM, LMT, Sionics, Larue, etc... and the question is still just as viable. Yet nobody on this board questions someone buying from those other brands.

Is the extra money spent on this rifle over a 6920 going to result in more putting rounds on target more quickly and more accurately?

RVTMaverick
10-20-17, 09:44
"Everybody" isn't meant to be taken literally. Most on this board will hate it solely because it looks like a space gun.

I know seedubs, it's a play of words :jester: I like to play sometimes, maybe I should stop but here I go again.. IMHO It doesn't look like a space gun at all... :p

It looks like a Can Opener and a Bottle opener, that can also start up a camp fire, warm up a can of food a cup of coffee mm with it's Marvin the Martian Laser Beam.... Easy now,... See>> :dance3:

Eurodriver
10-20-17, 10:02
Substitute Cobalt for KAC, BCM, LMT, Sionics, Larue, etc... and the question is still just as viable. Yet nobody on this board questions someone buying from those other brands.

So the answer is definitely no.

M4C should create a rule that until you’ve shot the MNQ in under 40 seconds you can’t ask about brands, buffer weights, gas port size, handguard preferences, triggers, BUIS, barrel length, muzzle devices, or anything else that doesn’t matter.

I have a suspicion that anyone who owns of these rifles definitely can’t meet that benchmark, and yet I can’t generalize owners of BCM, Noveske, KAC, etc in the same manner.

seedubs1
10-20-17, 10:28
Pics of cracking open beers with the Cobalt, or it didn't happen. Can you review if it's better at opening beers than the armadillo Larue sends?

I know seedubs, it's a play of words :jester: I like to play sometimes, maybe I should stop but here I go again.. IMHO It doesn't look like a space gun at all... :p

It looks like a Can Opener and a Bottle opener, that can also start up a camp fire, warm up a can of food a cup of coffee mm with it's Marvin the Martian Laser Beam.... Easy now,... See>> :dance3:

26 Inf
10-20-17, 11:11
You know, that doesn't float my boat, but if folks that own them are happy and shooting, I'm happy for them.

I would be more interested in the rifle if it was traditionally styled with the same operating features, but that is just me.

MegademiC
10-20-17, 11:51

His point is function>form. KAC offers real improvements, as does Noveske. BCMs claim to fame was making TDP rifles for less $ than colt (sale price), and earning a track record of great durability. Their improvements have been more recent and they came out with a light, low price, decent hand guard, and great barrel profiles, all of which are quantifiable improvements for a marginal increase in price.

Cobalt is new and the price is approaching KAC prices. Of course they will have to prove to people why the extra price is justified. We see unecessary(opinion) machine work, which is added cost with no real benefit. Are they great rifles? I don’t know, just explaining the perspective. It’s not a double standard, it’s a unique situation.

Edit- and eurodriver would be someone that would question why someone buys a KAC or anything else over a colt (or m4 equivalent). He has a multiple-page thread on that exact topic and it’s a good read.

Caduceus
10-20-17, 11:54
So the answer is definitely no.

M4C should create a rule that until you’ve shot the MNQ in under 40 seconds you can’t ask about brands, buffer weights, gas port size, handguard preferences, triggers, BUIS, barrel length, muzzle devices, or anything else that doesn’t matter.

I have a suspicion that anyone who owns of these rifles definitely can’t meet that benchmark, and yet I can’t generalize owners of BCM, Noveske, KAC, etc in the same manner.

Define MNQ?

Mr. Goodtimes
10-20-17, 12:15

There’s no double standard at all. Why you ask? Because KAC innovates by actually markedly improving the AR-15 platform. Kobalt Kinetics “innovates” by taking the AR-15 and making it look like something from HALO. That’s not innovation, it’s art, and stupid art at that.

Cobalt Kinetics is, however, providing what many gun owners want, and that’s not a gun that works well and is functional at an affordable price but rather a gun that makes the owner feel special and unique in their otherwise melancholy, mundane and purposeless lives; and at a price point that meets or exceeds that of a KAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5.56 Bonded SP
10-20-17, 12:40
The $5,000 model comes with a bolt assist on both sides of the upper receiver. That's some big-time Innovation right there lol

js8588
10-20-17, 12:44
The $5,000 model comes with a bolt assist on both sides of the upper receiver. That's some big-time Innovation right there lol

OPs $1700 has the "bolt assist" (did you mean "forward assist", perchance?) on both sides of the upper. They also function as a bolt drop. That's pretty innovative, especially on a race gun (which these are). I prefer ambi bolt drop on the lower, but I can see the advantage of either.

VIP3R 237
10-20-17, 12:50
You guys need to post those specs on your website, I bet your sales would increase.

Preaching to the choir on that one. I've been saying for almost 3 years that we need to have more specs and go into detail on the website.

Adrenaline_6
10-20-17, 13:18
If you actually look at the Cobalt Kinetics objectively, there are some actual "improvements" offered. Are they necessarily needed, probably not, but improvements none the less. So it is pretty, whats wrong with that? If you don't like pretty, don't buy it, but knocking someone who does is kind of a douche bag thing to do. It's their money, let them spend it how they want. As long as the gun is reliable and is made well, no harm, no foul. I can't justify spending the money, but if I had bills falling out of my ass, I'd buy one. If I didn't like it and it sucked, who's problem is it? Mine not yours.

To say you shouldn't be able ask about buying something unless you meet certain performance criteria is a pretty ridiculous statement. That would be equal to restricting sportbike owners from asking anything if they cant run 1' 20's or less at Jennings, not being able ask about a sports car if you cant run the Sachsenring within 15 seconds of the cars recorded official lap time there, or ask about a 4 x 4 unless you plan to actually use it to trail ride on a weekly basis. Come on. Why not let people be, help them out if they need help, and just you do you. Isn't this supposed to be a knowledge and support forum?

To the OP, nice gun btw!!! Tell us how it shoots!

WickedWillis
10-20-17, 13:27
The real Elephant in the room though, is the fact they are calling it the BAMF, when the correct term from the film is Bad Mother****er.....

Eurodriver
10-20-17, 13:28
To say you shouldn't be able to buy something unless you meet certain performance criteria is a pretty ridiculous statement. That would be equal to restricting sportbike owners from getting anything more than a 250 if they cant run 1' 20's or less at Jennings, not being able to buy a sports car if you cant run the Sachsenring within 15 seconds of the cars recorded official lap time there, or buying a 4 x 4 unless you actually use it to trail ride on a weekly basis. Come on. Why not let people be, help them out if they need help, and just you do you!

No one is saying you can’t buy something until you’ve reached a standard of proficiency. I’m just advocating you shouldn’t be able to discuss it on this forum. Time spent discussing buffer weight, finish, gas port sizes, etc is time that could be spent dry firing, buying ammo, and shooting.

What you seem to be missing is that we are trying to help people become better shooters, not better gun owners. The mission statement of this forum does not support fancy artwork used by people with minimal levels of training. If people wish to discuss the Cobalt rifle they can go to TOS. In a similar manner that you wouldn’t discuss a CBR600 on M4C.net, you wouldn’t discuss any old “AR15”-ish rifle either.

Mr. Goodtimes
10-20-17, 13:32
If you actually look at the Cobalt Kinetics objectively, there are some actual "improvements" offered. Are they necessarily needed, probably not, but improvements none the less.

Just because someone changes something or does it different doesn’t make it better. I like to pull my knees up to my chest and rock back and fourth when I take a dump, does that make my way of taking a dump any better than the guy who just squats down? I don’t think so.

[QUOTE=Adrenaline_6;2549934 So it is pretty, whats wrong with that? If you don't like pretty, don't buy it, but knocking someone who does is kind of a douche bag thing to do. It's their money, let them spend it how they want. As long as the gun is reliable and is made well, no harm, no foul. I can't justify spending the money, but if I had bills falling out of my ass, I'd buy one. If I didn't like it and it sucked, who's problem is it? Mine not yours. [/QUOTE]

Because the OP asked what people though and we told him, you just happened to get your jimmies rustled.

RVTMaverick
10-20-17, 13:33
WOW... just wow.... Let the mr goodtime roll

I don't think you have a clue about these and sounds like you're pissed, because why?
You don't like it, then you don't like it, that's fine but to just be talking
down your nose like that, Please, just STOP.

And no, I do Not own one of these Awesome Firearms but I sure the heck would like to!

And again, Congrads to the OP!;)

There’s no double standard at all. Why you ask? Because KAC innovates by actually markedly improving the AR-15 platform. [B]Kobalt Kinetics “innovates” by taking the AR-15 and making it look like something from HALO. That’s not innovation, it’s art, and stupid art at that.

Cobalt Kinetics is, however, providing what many gun owners want, and that’s not a gun that works well and is functional at an affordable price but rather a gun that makes the owner feel special and unique in their otherwise melancholy, mundane and purposeless lives; and at a price point that meets or exceeds that of a KAC.

Mr. Goodtimes
10-20-17, 13:35
[B]WOW... just wow.... Let the mr goodtime roll

I don't think you have a clue about these and sounds like you're pissed, because why?
You don't like it, then you don't like it, that's fine but to just be talking
down your nose like that, Please, just STOP.

And no, I do Not own one of these Awesome Firearms but I sure the heck would like to!

And again, Congrads to the OP!;)

Go back to arfcom, your village is calling.

5.56 Bonded SP
10-20-17, 13:37
OPs $1700 has the "bolt assist" (did you mean "forward assist", perchance?) on both sides of the upper. They also function as a bolt drop. That's pretty innovative, especially on a race gun (which these are). I prefer ambi bolt drop on the lower, but I can see the advantage of either.

I meant forward assist..

I don't know if I consider two forward assists innovation.

Ambidextrous bolt releases are definitely a good thing though.

5.56 Bonded SP
10-20-17, 13:39
Preaching to the choir on that one. I've been saying for almost 3 years that we need to have more specs and go into detail on the website.

Also prob want to correct the weight, it says they are all 14 pound rifles.

Adrenaline_6
10-20-17, 13:45
No one is saying you can’t buy something until you’ve reached a standard of proficiency. I’m just advocating you shouldn’t be able to discuss it on this forum. Time spent discussing buffer weight, finish, gas port sizes, etc is time that could be spent dry firing, buying ammo, and shooting.

What you seem to be missing is that we are trying to help people become better shooters, not better gun owners. The mission statement of this forum does not support fancy artwork used by people with minimal levels of training. If people wish to discuss the Cobalt rifle they can go to TOS. In a similar manner that you wouldn’t discuss a CBR600 on M4C.net, you wouldn’t discuss any old “AR15”-ish rifle either.
I know...I fixed it. You probably were already replying though. My bad.

Adrenaline_6
10-20-17, 13:49
Just because someone changes something or does it different doesn’t make it better. I like to pull my knees up to my chest and rock back and fourth when I take a dump, does that make my way of taking a dump any better than the guy who just squats down? I don’t think so.

Because the OP asked what people though and we told him, you just happened to get your jimmies rustled.

Why do you pull up your knees while you take a dump? Because it works for you. It might not work for someone else. It doesn't make him better either that it doesn't. I am not rustled in anyway.....and lay off my jimmy.

TactiCool1976
10-20-17, 13:52
Two side forward assist???Yes it's ambi forward assists, ambi 45 degree safety.. just doesn't have the dual drop feature... which for me is kinda mehh

TactiCool1976
10-20-17, 13:53
Pics of cracking open beers with the Cobalt, or it didn't happen. Can you review if it's better at opening beers than the armadillo Larue sends?I will see what I can do lol....

5.56 Bonded SP
10-20-17, 13:54
Just because someone changes something or does it different doesn’t make it better.

This, unless there is documentation to prove that the changes somehow significantly increase performance by longer life of parts or whatever.

Adrenaline_6
10-20-17, 14:07

I get what you are trying to push and your intent to help people to become better shooters and respect your ability as a good shooter, but there are multiple sub forums here. What you are referencing would better fall under the training sub forums. I would think AR "General" discussion would be the perfect place for his question. No?

Eurodriver
10-20-17, 14:29
I get what you are trying to push and your intent to help people to become better shooters and respect your ability as a good shooter, but there are multiple sub forums here. What you are referencing would better fall under the training sub forums. I would think AR "General" discussion would be the perfect place for his question. No?

Ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you say but how you say it?”

These threads are always about “wow look how cool it is!” Which do not necessarily belong here.

It’s not like discussing the Cobalt is banned on M4C. But when discussions about the Cobalt revolve solely around looks, form, space gun neatness, etc it certainly doesn’t belong here.

Everyone thinks people on this forum just pick on certain brands that aren’t Colt, BCM, etc. but in reality it’s because no one ever ever ever makes a thread with a Cobalt and says “Hey I bought this rifle. I like the way it looks. I’ve noticed that my groups at 400 from the bench are significantly smaller than out of my buddy’s Colt. Here are the barrel specs. Any idea why it’s more accurate?”

That would be a perfectly acceptable discussion within the CoC of M4C about the Cobalt.

VIP3R 237
10-20-17, 14:37
Also prob want to correct the weight, it says they are all 14 pound rifles.

Thanks for that, I have passed along the info so hopefully it will be corrected as well as more detailed specs.

Stickman
10-20-17, 14:51
Yeah, if we could get rid of the fecal fixation that would be great...

RVTMaverick
10-20-17, 15:00
Dear GOD!
TC bought a new AR15, He posted Questions/Wondering what you guys thought about where it fit in the AR world. WTH man...
Also... IF You dont' like the looks of firearms then Why is there 10s of 1000s of pictures of them here on M4Carbine and equal as many guys telling
the poster of the picture... OH Man, that looks great or so on and so forth..

Cobalt Kinetics, where does it fit in the AR world

Ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you say but how you say it?”

These threads are always about “wow look how cool it is!” Which do not necessarily belong here.

It’s not like discussing the Cobalt is banned on M4C. But when discussions about the Cobalt revolve solely around looks, form, space gun neatness, etc it certainly doesn’t belong here.

Everyone thinks people on this forum just pick on certain brands that aren’t Colt, BCM, etc. but in reality it’s because no one ever ever ever makes a thread with a Cobalt and says “Hey I bought this rifle. I like the way it looks. I’ve noticed that my groups at 400 from the bench are significantly smaller than out of my buddy’s Colt. Here are the barrel specs. Any idea why it’s more accurate?”

That would be a perfectly acceptable discussion within the CoC of M4C about the Cobalt.

I Dislike Snobs, try not to be one..

Peace Jeff

vicious_cb
10-20-17, 15:24
I dont get it, do people get butthurt now because we dont give them enough props on their purchase? Because thats what it seems like. Im sorry but this isnt TOS.

The experienced user realizes just because something looks nice doesnt mean it will perform well. The Cobalt gun screams looks > performance otherwise it would have 2 forwards assists. This is coming during a time where people are starting to realize you dont need a forward assist in the first place.

Where does this fit in the AR world? Its the type of AR that you hang on a wall and admire rather than shoot.

WickedWillis
10-20-17, 15:33
Dear GOD!
TC bought a new AR15, He posted Questions/Wondering what you guys thought about where it fit in the AR world. WTH man...
Also... IF You dont' like the looks of firearms then Why is there 10s of 1000s of pictures of them here on M4Carbine and equal as many guys telling
the poster of the picture... OH Man, that looks great or so on and so forth..

Cobalt Kinetics, where does it fit in the AR world

I Dislike Snobs, try not to be one..

Peace Jeff

It's a boutique brand as of now, with no concrete track record that caters to a demographic that usually has more money than sense. SO it fits into the "Use it in race courses, impress people at the range, looks sweet on instagram" role. Until otherwise proven.

26 Inf
10-20-17, 15:52
Define MNQ?

Modified Naval Qual

Member C-grunt posted a derivitive of it:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?200554-Benchmark-Times-to-Shoot-For-With-Your-AR15-An-M4C-Collaboration-Project

The qual was popularized by Trident Concepts - Jeff Gonzalez - he used it to rank shooters with this scoring method:

Start from 0. Add 2 points for every second OVER par; subtract 1 point for every second UNDER par; add 5 points for each miss.

25 to 40 = MM

10 to 24 = SS

under 10 = EX

Adrenaline_6
10-20-17, 15:59
It's a boutique brand as of now, with no concrete track record that caters to a demographic that usually has more money than sense. SO it fits into the "Use it in race courses, impress people at the range, looks sweet on instagram" role. Until otherwise proven.

Now this is what would be considered a great answer to a straightforward question posed by the OP. Thanks WW for the helpful post. The guy never asked for props or people to admire it. It was "is it more of a race gun, or is it a battle rifle? or a bit of both?". That's it.

Some comments parallel a bunch of women looking at a hot woman in a short skirt and high heels saying to each other "look how slutty she looks and how dare she wear that, that's stupid, I would never do that! Come on guys. We are men here. Men like toys. Some for utility, some because it's pretty, some because they do both. Now everyone grunt and adjust themselves.

TomMcC
10-20-17, 16:26
Modified Naval Qual

Member C-grunt posted a derivitive of it:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?200554-Benchmark-Times-to-Shoot-For-With-Your-AR15-An-M4C-Collaboration-Project

The qual was popularized by Trident Concepts - Jeff Gonzalez - he used it to rank shooters with this scoring method:

Start from 0. Add 2 points for every second OVER par; subtract 1 point for every second UNDER par; add 5 points for each miss.

25 to 40 = MM

10 to 24 = SS

under 10 = EX

I was talking on the other thread about this..........don't think I'll make under 10 sec. That's pretty darn fast when you consider two fast reloads alone are soaking up 3 sec.

pinzgauer
10-20-17, 16:28

No offense to the Space Gun, but I see a very big difference between KAC and LMT driving functional / engineering / reliability changes versus largely cosmetic embellishments. But maybe I'm missing something.

That said, even though it's probably not my thing... I can see they put a lot of thought into the styling, and I think everyone should be able to have their rifle exactly the way they want it.

So if OP likes it, and it was a good deal, go have fun!

5.56 Bonded SP
10-20-17, 16:43
Yes it's ambi forward assists, ambi 45 degree safety.. just doesn't have the dual drop feature... which for me is kinda mehh

That is 48118

I've never needed the forward assist, and I can't remember exactly but I believe the Air Force was against the idea of installing a forward assist because if the rifle can't chamber there is probably a chamber or bore obstruction; in which case forcing the gun to chamber could cause a kaboom. Yet for some weird reason I feel like I need a forward assist again 48118

A dual drop feature and or bolt release would be much more functional for various applications than a dual forward assist. A dual forward assist is really just adding weight for 99.99% of applications.

5k for a gun that basically only stands out for having a dual forward assist and flared magwell 48118

Then they say stuff like this without even giving the specs on the barrel

The barrel on the EVOLVE is made by Proof Research- which is factually and demonstrably the best barrel on the market. No other barrel approaches the performance of the Proof.

I am all for capitalism, and I do hope the company does well. However, is it getting you better performance for the money? The short answer is no it is not.
I am 100% sure I could shoot a Colt6920 with an RDS or 1x4 just as effectively and fast if not more so.
Then again, I also think DD is extremely over priced. I shoot a lot, so I feel vindicated in assuming what I highlighted in red.

If guys want to spend a bunch of money on these kind of guns, cool more power to you. Personally I would rather buy a well built gun for a good deal, and spend the rest of that money on ammo/training and optics. I won't lie and say I haven't bought overpriced guns, because I have a Tavor X95, but that is one of those things that somewhat vindicated the cost because of the 16'' barrel in a 26'' OAL package + battle proven for 1500$ NIB. In the case of Cobalt Kinetics, the only thing driving the cost is the custom space looking receivers, but that is cosmetic and not a functional standpoint. Functionally a Colt 6920 is probably superior, or at the very least equal.

I am sure there are guys that think these race guns are a better gun for them than a 6920, and that is fine because at the end of the day it's our own damn money to spend how we choose.

5k for any non NFA ( either 2 stamp or full auto ) is just way out of my budget, and I consider myself middle class. I can't see this gun doing anything that a basic Colt,BCM, FN, or whatever does for a fraction of the cost.

5.56 Bonded SP
10-20-17, 16:44
No offense to the Space Gun, but I see a very big difference between KAC and LMT driving functional / engineering / reliability changes versus largely cosmetic embellishments. But maybe I'm missing something.

That said, even though it's probably not my thing... I can see they put a lot of thought into the styling, and I think everyone should be able to have their rifle exactly the way they want it.

So if OP likes it, and it was a good deal, go have fun!

Concisely said.
+1

Bladeruner69
10-21-17, 19:31
So one of my best friends and shooting partners has been working with the Cobalt for about 3 years. He goes back to the original Panty Dropper and is on their sponsored shooting team. He is on of the top 3 gunners in the nation and won Nationals last year running a B.A.M.F. Although highly tuned, this rifle RUNS. It is a race gun not a combat rifle but it is reliable. It has some true innovations on it(compensator, mag drop, ect.)

Although I don't own one(far to deep $ in other ARs) I would not hesitate. Most of us on this site are not paid defenders and use are rifles for sport.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

26 Inf
10-21-17, 19:46
I was talking on the other thread about this..........don't think I'll make under 10 sec. That's pretty darn fast when you consider two fast reloads alone are soaking up 3 sec.

It is not 10 seconds, it is ten points. You start from zero and add two points for every second over 25.

If you shoot it in 25 seconds with perfect hits your are a scratch shooter - zero points, you made par.

To get to ten you need to be perfect on your hits and shoot it in 30 seconds. Or, shoot it in 25 and miss two.

Kind of like golf with an AR.

26 Inf
10-21-17, 19:50
So one of my best friends and shooting partners has been working with the Cobalt for about 3 years. He goes back to the original Panty Dropper and is on their sponsored shooting team. He is on of the top 3 gunners in the nation and won Nationals last year running a B.A.M.F. Although highly tuned, this rifle RUNS. It is a race gun not a combat rifle but it is reliable. It has some true innovations on it(compensator, mag drop, ect.)

Although I don't own one(far to deep $ in other ARs) I would not hesitate. Most of us on this site are not paid defenders and use are rifles for sport.

So, I guess it is safe to assume he'd shot 40 or less on the MNQ?

Thanks for sharing that perspective. I probably wouldn't want to carry my bullseye pistol into combat, either.

TomMcC
10-21-17, 19:56
It is not 10 seconds, it is ten points. You start from zero and add two points for every second over 25.

If you shoot it in 25 seconds with perfect hits your are a scratch shooter - zero points, you made par.

To get to ten you need to be perfect on your hits and shoot it in 30 seconds. Or, shoot it in 25 and miss two.

Right, right, a points system not time.....I forgot about the subtraction of points.

Bladeruner69
10-21-17, 20:18
So, I guess it is safe to assume he'd shot 40 or less on the MNQ?

Thanks for sharing that perspective. I probably wouldn't want to carry my bullseye pistol into combat, either.https://youtu.be/tOqOC6Xx31U

Eurodriver
10-21-17, 20:23

Oh snap really?

26 Inf
10-21-17, 21:05
Oh snap really?

Yep. If I die tomorrow they'll bury me with a MM badge.

TomMcC
10-21-17, 21:14
https://youtu.be/tOqOC6Xx31U

So Keith Garcia?

Bladeruner69
10-21-17, 22:08
So Keith Garcia?He was my TL many years ago. He went from a good shooter for a cop to world class/national champion. Just grinds away at miniscule details. I shoot more than 90% of the population and he tires me out.

TomMcC
10-21-17, 23:28
He was my TL many years ago. He went from a good shooter for a cop to world class/national champion. Just grinds away at miniscule details. I shoot more than 90% of the population and he tires me out.

Learn all you can......not many are in your position.

Bladeruner69
10-21-17, 23:39
Learn all you can......not many are in your position.Man, I can't even begin to tell you a how much I have gained training with him. He pushes me harder than I would ever push myself

js8588
10-22-17, 09:13
Wrong thread reply. My bad