PDA

View Full Version : Another Atlas bipod question

Pappabear
10-19-17, 20:38
I have always run the standard Atlas bipod. However, I have a hunt coming up and thought maybe a PRS or other might be more well suited. If you have experience, I’m all ears.

PB

Slippers
10-19-17, 23:02
It solves my biggest gripe with the original: the legs no longer spin. It also has supports that help prevent forward/backward rotation when you loosen the cant/panning knob.

OrbitalE
10-20-17, 00:07
^Yup. I got a PSR to avoid the spinning legs thing. Overall though I don't know that I'm a fan of the Atlas style bipod; the various leg mechanisms tend to lockup due the grit/dusty/blown-up dirt where I shoot long range.

bp7178
10-20-17, 00:37
Which leg mechanism in particular? I can't say I've ever had a bi-pod "lockup" due to dirt.

OrbitalE
10-20-17, 02:03
The Atlas has to primary mechanisms: the ball-bearing locking collar on each leg and the pivot button lock on each leg. I've had the locking collars freeze up due to accumulated grit, when the whole bipod is kinda tinted red from kicked up dirt.

Pappabear
10-21-17, 10:55
Kinda strange we shoot in the desert and grim dirt dust has never locked up legs up. Maybe you got a jacked up set.

PB

Pappabear
10-21-17, 10:56
It solves my biggest gripe with the original: the legs no longer spin. It also has supports that help prevent forward/backward rotation when you loosen the cant/panning knob.

I think I'll try one. Thanks

PB

Slippers
10-21-17, 11:56
If you can stomach the cost, the kac bipod is even better than the atlas psr. The cant and panning are separate adjustments, the qd mechanism is faster and doesn't require tuning to each pic rail, and the legs have a wider angle which I find much more stable. It also has two forward leg positions between folded and 90 degrees, instead of only 45 degrees on the atlas. Weight is about the same. I think one ounce more on the kac.

OrbitalE
10-21-17, 12:08
Kinda strange we shoot in the desert and grim dirt dust has never locked up legs up. Maybe you got a jacked up set.

PB

You ever lube anything on yours? The bipod was pretty heavily lubed in most areas as it arrived from the factory, perhaps that contributed.

Pappabear
10-21-17, 17:45
You ever lube anything on yours? The bipod was pretty heavily lubed in most areas as it arrived from the factory, perhaps that contributed.

Yea, that is strange too, mine have never been lubed to a point that I noticed. I would guess your right about that speculation, lube and dirt is no Bueno

PB

Pappabear
10-21-17, 17:47
Slippers, PM inbound

Thanks

10-22-17, 18:46
I coughed up the cash for an Atlas with non-spinning legs two years ago and it's been the best bipod I've used. The Harris is a little faster to deploy, if that's a consideration, but the spinning legs made them almost impossible to use effectively anywhere but on a purpose made shooting mat or bench.

Watrdawg
10-23-17, 07:06
I'm looking at getting one for my Rem 5R. I bought the picatinney mount for it but it doesn't work. The rail mounts properly to the rifle but my current Atlas bipod will not fit. The quick detach mount of the bipod takes up too much room between the 2 sling mounts. Anyone have any other ideas or possibly a different rail mount?

I think I just figured it out. I was just on their site and I bought different fasteners. I am also seriously looking at the PSR