PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys grease your skids?

ABNAK
10-21-17, 15:03
Shot my new AR build today and as I was finishing up cleaning and about to slide the carrier back into the upper a thought hit me: after all these years of shooting AR's and beaucoup cleaning sessions I've never put anything on the bottom of the carrier where it rides along in the upper, the "skids" if you will. Do many of you do this? If so, grease of some sort or just oil?

Eurodriver
10-21-17, 15:08
I place drops of oil on all wear surfaces on the BCG. Slides into the upper like a warm knife through butter.

I do not use grease.

voiceofreason
10-21-17, 15:20
Anywhere metal is rubbing against something gets some kind of lube. Anywhere that shows wear gets extra. Bottom of the BCG, definitely. Lugs, cam pin, rails, O-rings, firing pin, etc.

Someone once told me that as long as there is a lot of lube around the BCG, the entire area will be coated quickly when firing. Still have to lube the firing pin and the extractor pin every other time, but for the most part the BCG will be coated regardless. Same guy that said that the AR15 doesn't need cleaning and as long as you lube it, it'll be fine.

I don't doubt it works for him, but I still lube the BCG by area and clean my ARs every 500 rounds.

MegademiC
10-21-17, 15:52
I always oil it, I never use grease.

gunnerblue
10-21-17, 16:08
I never specifically oil the skids (never grease anything) and none of my AR’s show significant wear in this area. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong but the bolt carrier on an AR is essentially free-floating. How much contact is there between the carrier and upper?

gaijin
10-21-17, 16:12
I oil the bottom and top contact surfaces of the BCG where it rides in the upper, among other parts, to answer your question.

5.56 Bonded SP
10-21-17, 16:16
Short answer yes I do..

Long answer..
I use lucas red n tacky grease and motor oil on the rails the bcg rides on. I never put any lube on the bottom of the bcg that touches the ammo in the mag, nor do I lube the hammer face because I don't want oil on my ammo.
I usually oil the gas rings and cam pin, but I like coating the cam pin with a very light layer of grease, then putting a drop of oil on the cam pin once the bcg is assembled. I lightly oil other springs and surfaces that need it.
Never had an issue, always stays lubed, and functions in negative tempatures (it gets cold here ). I have been doing this for years and many thousands of rounds with guns used at many classes.
I love using grease, I just use it sparingly. A little goes a long way, and I use it in combination with oil. I think neither oil or grease can do everything the other one does, so I use both.

Lucas red n tacky has a drop point of 540 degrees Fahrenheit which is higher than most oils.
I use a small amount of grease on the rails of all my guns, pistols, shotguns, rifles. I just rub a little on my finger and rub it on the surface. Sometimes I put a drop of oil on the greased surfaces to lower the viscosity, even when doing that the greased surfaces stay lubed forever unlike oil that will drop off with gravity.

Lubing my pistols, shotguns, and rifles has never given me a single malfunction using grease. It is easy to clean up and a very effective lube if applied properly. I shoot in the cold winters very often.
Try using some mixed with motor oil to lower the viscosity of you think it's too thick.

There is a guy on YouTube that literally stuffed the entire inside of his AR-15 with grease ( just not the barrel ) and it functioned flawlessly. However I recommend just using a small amount to put a light coat on the surfaces you want lubed. If you do live where it gets in the negative fahrenheit temperatures for months out of the year just mix a little bit of oil with the grease to lower the viscosity and you'll be good to go.

Straight Shooter
10-21-17, 16:26
Yes. Tetra...but Im now using & trying a tube of lightweight lithium grease from an auto parts store, if I decide to use it exclusively..itll last my lifetime.

5.56 Bonded SP
10-21-17, 16:44
Yes. Tetra...but Im now using & trying a tube of lightweight lithium grease from an auto parts store, if I decide to use it exclusively..itll last my lifetime.

Most white lithium grease has a low drop temp, it burns at low temps. I suggest getting a grease like Lucas red n tacky with a drop temp around 540 degrees.

You can adjust grease viscosity by mixing it with oil.

Eta: wait nevermind, you said lithium not white lithium.

556BlackRifle
10-21-17, 17:09
I hit all the lube points with a little FP10.

Eurodriver
10-21-17, 17:15
Short answer yes I do..

Long answer..
I use lucas red n tacky grease and motor oil on the rails the bcg rides on. I never put any lube on the bottom of the bcg that touches the ammo in the mag, nor do I lube the hammer face because I don't want oil on my ammo.
I usually oil the gas rings and cam pin, but I like coating the cam pin with a very light layer of grease, then putting a drop of oil on the cam pin once the bcg is assembled. I lightly oil other springs and surfaces that need it.
Never had an issue, always stays lubed, and functions in negative tempatures (it gets cold here ). I have been doing this for years and many thousands of rounds with guns used at many classes.
I love using grease, I just use it sparingly. A little goes a long way, and I use it in combination with oil. I think neither oil or grease can do everything the other one does, so I use both.

Lucas red n tacky has a drop point of 540 degrees Fahrenheit which is higher than most oils.
I use a small amount of grease on the rails of all my guns, pistols, shotguns, rifles. I just rub a little on my finger and rub it on the surface. Sometimes I put a drop of oil on the greased surfaces to lower the viscosity, even when doing that the greased surfaces stay lubed forever unlike oil that will drop off with gravity.

Lubing my pistols, shotguns, and rifles has never given me a single malfunction using grease. It is easy to clean up and a very effective lube if applied properly. I shoot in the cold winters very often.
Try using some mixed with motor oil to lower the viscosity of you think it's too thick.

There is a guy on YouTube that literally stuffed the entire inside of his AR-15 with grease ( just not the barrel ) and it functioned flawlessly. However I recommend just using a small amount to put a light coat on the surfaces you want lubed. If you do live where it gets in the negative fahrenheit temperatures for months out of the year just mix a little bit of oil with the grease to lower the viscosity and you'll be good to go.

Do you put this much effort into shooting your AR?

5.56 Bonded SP
10-21-17, 17:23
Do you put this much effort into shooting your AR?

Yep, and many other types of guns too.
I also roll my own ammo.

I see lots of AR guys scoff at grease, so I shared my positive experience with it.
I'm sure for every one guy that says yeah use grease, there will be 10 more guys that will tell Op not to use grease even though they never have used it themselves.

Eta: I shoot roughly 500 rounds a month not including all the ammo that I get paid to shoot at work.

TomMcC
10-21-17, 17:32
No grease, just oil. I found grease to be kind of a filth magnet and a hassle to clean and of no real benefit. I do use a bit of grease on the bearing surfaces of my triggers though.

Eurodriver
10-21-17, 17:40
Yep, and many other types of guns too.
I also roll my own ammo.

I see lots of AR guys scoff at grease, so I shared my positive experience with it.
I'm sure for every one guy that says yeah use grease, there will be 10 more guys that will tell Op not to use grease even though they never have used it themselves.

Eta: I shoot roughly 500 rounds a month not including all the ammo that I get paid to shoot at work.

That’s great. You should try contributing some of that knowledge to threads that can actually help members become better shooters. As you alluded to yourself, it really doesn’t make a difference what grease/lube one uses. Go shoot some of the drills mentioned in the training threads and offer up your own so folks can benefit from all of the shooting you do.

5.56 Bonded SP
10-21-17, 17:47
That’s great. You should try contributing some of that knowledge to threads that can actually help members become better shooters. As you alluded to yourself, it really doesn’t make a difference what grease/lube one uses. Go shoot some of the drills mentioned in the training threads and offer up your own so folks can benefit from all of the shooting you do.

I would prefer to contribute in other ways then telling people what drills to shoot no offense.
I like shooting for fun too, and shooting drills at work is more stressful for me than fun.

If people want to chicken wing their ARs and shoot dirt clods I could care less, how other people shoot is none of my business.

MisterHelix
10-21-17, 17:49
A very thin layer of grease on the bolt carrier rails can make for smooth cycling, but the trade offs in cleanup and concerns of cold-weather performance tend to sway me to sticking with CLP or mobil1.

Someone once said "if it rotates, oil it, if it slides, grease it", but I'm not sure that's appropriate advice for lubing an AR.

I figured I might as well try it since I have a lifetime supply of Aeroshell from re-barreling projects.

TomMcC
10-21-17, 17:52
I think the point is that this site isn't really the chicken wing, dirt clod site.

Eurodriver
10-21-17, 17:59
I think the point is that this site isn't really the chicken wing, dirt clod site.

Bingo.

Well, it’s not supposed to be at least, and it wouldn’t be if guys like Bonded SP would contribute.

I guess a lube thread, something hitting you in the cheek thread, or a best backup cam pin to your backup bolt thread are better contributions to the shooting community than...you know... actually shooting.

Shooting drills at work is stressful though. So I get it.

5.56 Bonded SP
10-21-17, 18:01

I understand that, and implied no disrespect. I'm sure there are plenty of great drills and techniques being discussed in the other thread that will help others become great shooters, and I'm sure there are many shooters that are much more efficient than I am with an AR here.

Op asked about grease and I gave my input on it. I dont recall OP asking about drills.
I guess next time I could just sum it up with a yes or no answer or perhaps not contribute at all.

tom12.7
10-21-17, 18:02
Grease does not flow like oils do. Unfired, grease seems smoother than oils over time. Unfortunately, abrasive residue from firing does not flow away as easily when you compare it to an oil. There's other things that we can look at, but there is a place for a "grease" and some for an "oil". Some can argue well between a "grease" and a "paste". For most, the BCG is better served with an appropriate oil.

5.56 Bonded SP
10-21-17, 18:06
. There's other things that we can look at, but there is a place for a "grease" and some for an "oil".

I agree with that part totally, which is why I use both.

Jewell
10-21-17, 18:43
I put greese on the triggers. Nowhere else.

tom12.7
10-21-17, 18:47
Certain portions of the FCG can be good examples of what may be an appropriate use for this platform.

bamashooter
10-21-17, 19:26
I run a bit wet with Mobil 1 synthetic, Mobil 1 synthetic grease, Lucas 5wt synthetic fork oil, and Green Grease. Whichever of those within easy reach. Less grease in winter.

26 Inf
10-21-17, 19:35
I've started using ALG Very Thin Grease everyplace on my bolt carriers and on the slides and locking surfaces of my pistols.

It seems to be working as advertised.

10-21-17, 19:37
I grease the outside of my carrier sometimes. My reasoning is not logical, though. I like the goopy way it feels on a q-tip when I eventually clean it. TW25b. Generally, though, I just throw more CLP on it.

EzGoingKev
10-21-17, 19:55
If I clean my rifle and it is going in the safe I use synthetic chassis grease as it stays put and the rifle will run with it. I have ALG's purple stuff in the grip so if it needs lube while in use it gets that.

YMMV and IDGAF. This is not something worth arguing over IMO.

SiGfever
10-21-17, 21:27
I use Slip2000 EWL grease on the bottom of the BCG.

T2C
10-22-17, 03:40
I've run grease and I've run oil on the BCG. On a recommendation by two local shooters, one retired military, I tried Lucas Red and Tacky grease. It worked well, but trapped too much dirt to suite me. Clean up was a bit more involved than when I used oil, so I stopped using it.

After using a lot of different products over the years, I settled on Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil. I apply it to areas where I see wear marks on the BCG.

If you ask about lubrication on M1 Garands or M1A's, you'll get a different answer.

GrumpyM4
10-22-17, 03:40
nor do I lube the hammer face because I don't want oil on my ammo.

???

The hammer never contacts the ammunition. Not sure where you're going with this.

huh? Oils don't have a drop point.

Lubing my pistols, shotguns, and rifles has never given me a single malfunction using grease.

I've lubed with greases of several varieties and many different oils and have had many malfunctions over the years. No lube will prevent failures %100. If you've never experienced a failure, you're not shooting enough.

CRAMBONE
10-22-17, 06:24
Is anyone still using Frog Lube?

Warp
10-22-17, 07:22
Is anyone still using Frog Lube?

NO!

I was one of the suckers that got pulled into that. Then I started reading reports here and there about some supposed problems, so I judiciously lubed up an AR with Frog Lube paste, shot it for a couple hundred rounds, then set it in the safe for several months. Finally, I set it outdoors in just-below-freezing weather for a few hours prior to shooting. I don't consider those things unreasonable. It failed 100%. I would not get it it to fire (FTFire), trying the top half dozen assorted factory rounds in the mag. Field stripped it, wiped the entire BCG, firing pin, and FCG (did not remove FCG) down with a rage and applied some Slip 2000 EWL. BANG, worked. I could feel the hammer being bogged down and moving less freely when I started, then loosening up as I got rid of the frog lube.

If I had not done that, I don't know if I would believe it.

Just give me some Slip 2000 EWL, for any gun I have, and I'm happy. I don't really use grease to speak of, maybe just a dab here or there on sliding surfaces like maybe a tiny bit on handgun slide/frame contact points, usually Tetra gun grease. Slip 2k EWL is where it's at IMO. Or synthetic motor oil. Lube the right spots with the right amount from time to time and that's really all there is to worry about.

Ron3
10-22-17, 22:53
I grease (Thin layer/sparingly) what slides and oil what rotates on all my guns. Also if moving parts contact something but I just can't get grease to it, it gets oil.

The only AR-type I have now is an AR10 and when it had it's stoppage I found the grease seemed to have too much grit suspended in it and I think it's what caused the stove pipe. This was after about 250 rnds IIRC.

What I like about grease is that it will hold the grit but still lube and it's when it's time to clean the part wiping it off removes the grit, too.

But like I said, it can only hold so much grit in suspension and still lubricate. I think I didn't use enough grease and/or failed to clean it off and replace it.

It does make me think that since oil runs off everything and the AR in particular blows oil off perhaps the best thing for them is to liberally oil down the action, often.

NYH1
10-22-17, 23:07
I hit all the lube points with a little FP10.
Me too.

NYH1.

5.56 Bonded SP
10-22-17, 23:08
???

The hammer never contacts the ammunition. Not sure where you're going with this.

huh? Oils don't have a drop point.

I've lubed with greases of several varieties and many different oils and have had many malfunctions over the years. No lube will prevent failures %100. If you've never experienced a failure, you're not shooting enough.

Bottom of carrier contacts hammer, which could get excess lube on ammo.
I've had malfunctions but they are usually magazine related, soon as I put the gi mag away that I had a malfunction with, the malfunction problem goes away.
Never had a malfunction from what lube I decided to use.

I misspoke on the drop point part.

GrumpyM4
10-23-17, 00:00
Bottom of carrier contacts hammer, which could get excess lube on ammo.
I've had malfunctions but they are usually magazine related, soon as I put the gi mag away that I had a malfunction with, the malfunction problem goes away.
Never had a malfunction from what lube I decided to use.

I misspoke on the drop point part.

You do realize you're on a forum with a lot of professionals who either use, or fix this equipment for a living? Who've used or seen these things work in high round count and/or combat environments who already know exactly how this shit works..... and who don't give two shits about how much lube gets on the hammer because of lube transfer..... because it doesn't ****ing matter....

You ARE aware of this, right?

5.56 Bonded SP
10-23-17, 00:58
You do realize you're on a forum with a lot of professionals who either use, or fix this equipment for a living? Who've used or seen these things work in high round count and/or combat environments who already know exactly how this shit works..... and who don't give two shits about how much lube gets on the hammer because of lube transfer..... because it doesn't ****ing matter....

You ARE aware of this, right?

Funny how I choose to maintain my own personal weapons gets your panties in a wad.
I carry guns at work too, but I don't use that part of my life to swing my dick around on the internet.

Did I say that what I do is better than what everyone else does? Did I say that what I do is the only way to do it correctly? No I did not, I just said what I personally do and shared my experience with using Grease. ( which was the OPs question.)

Eta: take a chill pill.

As you said this shit doesn't matter so it's not worth getting worked up over. I also can't imagine that excess lube getting into any firearms chamber is a good thing. But if you disagree that is fine, I don't care.

Iraqgunz
10-23-17, 02:28
Just what we needed another lube thread. Just when you thought Glasnost was here.

MWAG19919
10-23-17, 05:32
If you're talking about that flat, slightly angled portion on the bottom of the BCG, then yes I do lube it. I put a teeny tiny amount of grease on it and distribute it evenly and thinly once I've lubed everything else.

jeffk14
10-23-17, 09:56
Funny how I choose to maintain my own personal weapons gets your panties in a wad.
I carry guns at work too, but I don't use that part of my life to swing my dick around on the internet.

Whole lotta "crank twirlin'" goes on around here for sure. I used to engage some but mostly just lurk now. The technical articles and references on here are very good and there's a lot of valuable info on the forums but you gotta do a lot of mining to get to the meat of it sometimes. And FWIW, I don't carry guns at work, I've never been in combat and I've never fired a shot in anger. I'm just a very mechanically astute HOBBYIST.

And don't fail to observe the number one commandment around here: "Thou shalt kneel before The Alter of the Pony".

QuickStrike
10-23-17, 10:23
I put a light layer of grease on those raised areas on the BCG. The top ones too.

After that, sliding the BCG back and fourth in the upper feels smoooooth...

Eurodriver
10-23-17, 10:27
The Middle Ages were to the enlightenment as lube threads are to what M4C could be without them.

TomMcC
10-23-17, 10:40
The Middle Ages were to the enlightenment as lube threads are to what M4C could be without them.

I'll use a religious joke to explain. I'm a Presbyterian, the joke in Presbyterianism is "everything has been said already, it's just that everyone hasn't had their shot at saying yet".

Mr. Goodtimes
10-23-17, 10:48
No! I absolutely DO NOT under ANY circumstance, lubricate the skids on my helicopter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomMcC
10-23-17, 10:52
No! I absolutely DO NOT under ANY circumstance, lubricate the skids on my helicopter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang, you have a helicopter? What other cool stuff do you have?:D

Eurodriver
10-23-17, 11:20
Dang, you have a helicopter? What other cool stuff do you have?:D

Chainsaws, a KAC, and a relationship with F2S.

MSparks909
10-23-17, 12:16
MSparks909's quick lube guide

Step 1: Buy can of CLP from Walmart
Step 2: Open the dust cover on your AR
Step 3: Spray a copious amount of CLP onto/into the vent holes of your bolt carrier
Step 4: Load ammo and close dust cover
Step 5: Shoot...and when the magazine locks open, look inside your action and marvel at how perfectly lubricated everything is

Step 6: Repeat as needed; clean yearly

MattC
10-23-17, 13:25
Slip 2000 EWL...everywhere...