PDA

View Full Version : Glock Trigger: Do you prefer Gen 5 or previous generations?

Doc Safari
10-23-17, 11:05
I hate to admit it. I looked forward to owning a Gen 5 Glock 17 just because they did away with the finger grooves.

After firing six magazine fulls through my Gen 5 G17, I decided I just don't care for the Gen 5 trigger, and I traded my Gen 5 for a Gen 4 like my other Gen 4.

I suspect most people replying to this thread will vehemently disagree with me, but here's my reasoning:

Yes, originally, when I purchased my first Glock more than 20 years ago, I laughed and told everyone "I like everything about Glock but the trigger." So, finally Glock has addressed that trigger with modifications to the design that give it a very short take-up and a crisp release (but somewhat less of a "two-stage trigger" feel but that could be my perception).

Thing is, over the years I've gotten so used to the "old" Glock trigger that I've learned to use that long take-up as time to get my sights on target one last time before the "break" that fires the pistol. I fire my Gen 4's quickly and accurately. Several times during my second range session with the Gen 5 I actually fired before I was quite ready. I didn't like that at all.

I considered keeping both Gen 4's and a Gen 5 or two and just remind myself of the slight difference in training and manipulation to handle the different trigger pulls of the two.

Reluctantly, I decided that's more trouble than it's worth: I'd rather get used to one trigger or the other and have all my Glocks the same.

So, that put me in a position to have either all Gen 5's or all previous generations. I opted for the latter, since getting rid of what I already have to acquire nothing but Gen 5's would entail a lot of time and expense, not to mention the fact that so far Glock has only come out with 9mm's in the Gen 5's. Do I learn the new Gen 5 trigger and not shoot my 40 for a while hoping I can trade it off for a Gen 5 Glock 22 at some point?

I opted not to wait. I'd rather keep my Gen 4's and concentrate on practice and training rather than another rollercoaster of "sell this gun to buy that gun" so that all my Glocks eventually have the Gen 5 trigger. Since I've owned previous generations of Glocks for more than 20 years I've opted "not" to join the new breed of Glock trigger pull.

A buddy of mine, a retired LEO, actually agrees with me. He says after trying out someone else's Gen 5 he's opted to buy a Gen 4 instead.

What's your impression?

Do you prefer the Gen 5 trigger pull or the Gen 4 and earlier triggers?

EDITED TO ADD: I like polls like this because there is no "right" answer. I'm posting so that people will give their opinions and experiences and that will help a potential buyer decide which is right for him/her.

Eurodriver
10-23-17, 11:08
Gen5. 100%.

Less take up. Lighter break. It’s great. Nailing a C Zone IPSC offhand at 160 yards right out of the box. It’s my precious.

tn1911
10-23-17, 11:59
Honestly I prefer the Glock NY1 trigger. At first it was forced upon me by my Chief Deputy when I was in LE. But the more I carried it the more I understood it and eventually fell in love with it.

I currently own a G30S which is awaiting night sights and a NY1 trigger.

Firefly
10-23-17, 12:36
I try to run minus connectors but honestly if it is 5.5 or thereabouts, I dont care. Gen 5 trigger doesnt seem any different.

1911s are for people who want trigger jobs and frog hair triggers.

Honestly, all glock triggers suck. You just work around it. Get used to it. They are at least consistent.

There are oodles of guns with better triggers than a glock but thats where it stops.

ghostly
10-23-17, 13:20
I think as a group, gun owners either are Glock fanboys giving them too much credit or we hate them. I'm in the middle. It isn't my favorite, but I shoot them for logistics reasons. I actually prefer H&Ks, but I can't walk into the local shop and purchase parts, magazines, holsters, etc. magazines are $50+.

I've got 1911s too. You can get nearly anything for a 1911 anywhere, but they are such an antiquated design and no two are the same. They can be fussy as well as limited.

So I'm left with Glock as my staple. I'm not in love with it. But I shoot my guns, not love on them.

Yep all generation Glock triggers suck, but who cares? You just have to overcome it...like factory AR triggers suck. Factory AK sights suck. Hell, factory Glock sights suck but we can make them work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaLEOjd
10-23-17, 13:21
Really not much of a difference in trigger pulls between generations. The Gen.5 feel mushy like the factory ( - ) connector. Not a fan of the mushy trigger but it's really no big deal.

ruckusjuice
10-23-17, 13:46
I prefer the trigger of my Gen5 19 to that of my Gen 3 and Gen 4. The 5 is smoother and has of a gritty feeling during the pull. The wall after taking the slack is less pronounced so it’s more of a rolling break, which I prefer to a hard wall.

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-23-17, 14:35
I have a well used gen3 17 and the trigger on my Gen5 G19 fells about the same. Nothing special, just a regular old trigger.

Biggy
10-23-17, 14:58
The main thing I like about my Gen 5 G19's trigger is that the front sight doesn't move after the break. The somewhat rolling break on a factory stock Gen 5 trigger suprises me *a little* more as to when it will break. The aftermarket Apex Tactical trigger kit among other things seemed to remove *most but not all* of the rolling break, creep, sponge, etc.

Zirk208
10-23-17, 15:01
102 rounds through the gun and you gave up on it?

Doc Safari
10-23-17, 15:06
102 rounds through the gun and you gave up on it?

I think I explained it pretty thoroughly. I just don't have either the time or the money to invest in a lot of practice to get to know the new trigger. It will probably be two to three months before I can make it back to the range with any Glock. I also think it's a mistake to keep a mix of Glocks and their different trigger pulls. That's just me. It would be my luck if I expected one trigger pull in an HD situation and it turned out to be the other. I don't want a mix of triggers between my AR's either. They're all going to be factory or they're all going to be Geissele or something. I decided to stick with what I'm familiar with.

I guess you can make me stand on the side of the room now with the guys who prefer their 1911's to trying something new.

Truth is: the lightness of the Gen 5 trigger spooked me a little. I've relied on the long trigger stroke all these years as a way of making it go off when I want it to. As I stated, a few times this last range session the Gen 5 actually fired a bit before I was ready.

Agree or disagree: I understand most people are going to prefer the Gen 5 trigger, but I'm not one of them. Nothing wrong with the new trigger: I just don't think I can warm up to it.

Cagemonkey
10-23-17, 19:04
Gen 5 is the best stock Glock trigger yet.

buckshot1220
10-23-17, 19:45
I prefer Gen3, but have only tried two Gen5s and maybe I'll need to take a second look.

The three Gen4s I had were all horrible in their own special way (too much creep on one, spongy on another and one that broke so early the overtravel made it nearly impossible to put groups together).

w3453l
10-23-17, 20:09
For someone that has experience with HK V1 Light LEM, how would you compare that to the Gen 5 Glock trigger? I'm in CA, so I have no way of even trying out a Gen 5. I'm only asking out of curiosity, it's difficult for me to really imagine a trigger pull just by reading. I do have a P2000 in Light LEM though, so that sort of gives a benchmark to compare to.

Thanks

10-23-17, 20:23
For someone that has experience with HK V1 Light LEM, how would you compare that to the Gen 5 Glock trigger? I'm in CA, so I have no way of even trying out a Gen 5. I'm only asking out of curiosity, it's difficult for me to really imagine a trigger pull just by reading. I do have a P2000 in Light LEM though, so that sort of gives a benchmark to compare to.

Thanks

Not even close. The V1 LEM is like a real long travel two stage trigger, a little smoother, and much lighter first stage than a Glock Gen3 or 4.

The Gen 5 trigger still has the typical Glock take-up, but the break is rolling, or mushy. Closer to a TLG LEM, but much shorter travel and reset.

I don't do well with crisp triggers. I always shot double actions, and rolling 1911 triggers best. I immediately felt better behind the Gen5 than any other Glock. I can get on the trigger on the press-out like a DA and the over-travel doesn't affect me as much as the others.

The best way I can describe it: If you like a mushy trigger, you'll like the Gen5, if you like a crisp trigger, you'll like the Gen 1-4.

BuzzinSATX
10-23-17, 20:45
I have not shot a Gen 5 yet, so I didn't vote, but I can tell you this...I had bought a Walther PPQ .45 because I THOUGHT i wanted a nice trigger on a .45 striker, and I ended up selling it for a G21 Gen 4 (most of my Glock's are Gen 4's). I could shoot that PPQ really well, but honestly, I didn't like the feel of that trigger being so light. I can shoot the G21 almost as well, so no big loss on accuracy, and i much prefer the gen 4 trigger.

I am sure for folks who shoot guns with really nice triggers, it's a great gun. But I'm gonna hold off for now, and stick with my tried and true 4.5 connector and the polish job of the internals. Works for me...

Besides, I already promised myself my next Glock would be a 10MM, and next 9MM would be a CZ...

SSGGlock
10-23-17, 22:38
I like my gen 5 17. But I do agree with the OP, I let off two rounds unexpectedly, sights on target but before I wanted. Makes since to stick with one style, but for me when they come out with the gen 5 34, all my others will be pushed back in the safe.

SSGGlock
10-23-17, 22:42
Truth is: the lightness of the Gen 5 trigger spooked me a little.

+1. But I’ll get use to it.

ghostly
10-24-17, 08:56
The lightness spooked? I put a trigger gauge to one and it was 6.5 lbs compared to 6 lbs for a Gen 4, or 5 lbs for a Gen 3 minus. I'll bet it was more the lack of a defined wall.

Doc Safari
10-24-17, 08:57
The best way I can describe it: If you like a mushy trigger, you'll like the Gen5, if you like a crisp trigger, you'll like the Gen 1-4.

I would say, if you like a long take-up and a definite break that gives you for-all-intents-and-purposes a two-stage trigger, then pick Gens 1-4. If you like very little take up and more of a smooth transition to the second stage, then Gen 5 is your baby. That's why I didn't like Gen 5: the break is not as obvious that you're getting there and I had at least a couple shots go off before I had the sights where I wanted 'em.

Doc Safari
10-24-17, 08:58
The lightness spooked? I put a trigger gauge to one and it was 6.5 lbs compared to 6 lbs for a Gen 4, or 5 lbs for a Gen 3 minus. I'll bet it was more the lack of a defined wall.

I'll buy that. The Gens 1-4 you can definitely feel when you get to that second stage. Gen 5 you're there before you know it.

If I had lots of money to rotate my whole collection and the time and money to invest in practicing the new way of doing things, I could learn to love the Gen 5 trigger. Unfortunately, I gotta stick to what I'm used to because I just don't have the opportunity to start over.

Helix12
10-24-17, 09:22
I haven't yet tried the Gen5, although I will in the near future, so I didn't vote.

I'm a 20-year Glock owner and currently own five of them and have owned a number of others over the years. To me, most of the Glock triggers break like a staple gun going off. With my Gen 4 Model 19s especially, the front sight bounces around when the trigger breaks. I dry fire a lot and it's kind of a wonder that these guns shoot as accurately as they do because of the staple gun type break. My two G43s aren't quite as bad as the 19s.

As a long time Glock owner and shooter I've just gotten used to their triggers. But, of all the striker fired guns I currently own or have owned the Glock triggers are the poorest. Past generation haven't been horrible and they are perfectly functional for a defensive type handgun. They are not what I would call good. I like Glocks but certainly don't buy them because of their triggers.

I'm looking forward to trying the new Gen5 trigger to see what improvement has been made.

Also, the PPQ was mentioned as having too light a trigger. There is a difference between smooth and light. The PPQ is smooth. Put it on a trigger gauge and see for yourself. On the gauge there is only about half a pound difference between the PPQ and the Glock triggers in my guns.

Just my opinion.

SSGGlock
10-24-17, 17:18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Its not the pull. I agree it’s the wall or lack there of.

Biggy
10-24-17, 17:48
Its not the pull. I agree it’s the wall or lack there of.

Yeah, the trigger break on my Gen 5 G19 feels kind of like a delayed reaction break, not necessarily good or bad, but different. But if I can get good hits with it at speed, under a timer, I don't care what kind of trigger it has.

bear13
10-25-17, 07:53
Gen 5 is the best Glock trigger for me. You have to treat is like a smooth light double action. It is a rolling break. And a lot of people would pull less shots if they learned how to use them correctly. Out of every gun I have seen people shoot. Shots get pulled left in a Glock esp gen 4 more then other guns. The takeup then the wall, then snatched shot.

Everyone is different but to me that rolling break is great. I prefer this to my vp9/p-10c/p320c/etc I also shoot a da pull very well and usually better then a sa as long as it is under 9lbs