PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Rifle vs. Carbine Buffer Spring Weight Difference

AR-Tenner
10-24-17, 11:41
Hi Folks,

I have been doing a lot of searching, and have not been able to come up with an answer as to the difference in load weights between the buffer springs used in a CAR receiver extension and rifle receiver extension. I am familiar with the official technical specs on them, but these only relate to the minimum and maximum length:

RIFLE: 11 3/4 Inches (29 85 cm)
minimum to 13 1./2 inches (34 29 cm)
maximum

CARBINE: 10 1/16 inches (25.56 cm)
minimum to 11 1/4 inches (28.58 cm)
maximum.

I have also seen it listed that the number of coils differs officially, with the CAR spring having 37 to 39 coils, and the rifle spring having 41 to 42 coils. This is as far as technical information and exact measurements I consider authoritative go on the differences between these springs.

I have read in various postings that the rifle spring, in addition to being longer, is also weaker, and that the carbine spring is stiffer to go along with its abbreviated cycling space. This was not official, however, and while it seems logical, I do not trust that it is true.

David Tubbs made an excellent video in which he has a pressure scale in the bottom of a modified receiver extension, and he tests and records the bolt load weight (spring pressure when bolt is closed and locked) and the spring pressure when the bolt is retracted all the way. He tested the M4 carbine springs, but did not test a rifle spring.

I was wondering whether anyone either has the technical specs of the difference in spring tension or material between the rifle and carbine springs, or has done weight tests with these different springs to test their various weights.

Thanks, and I look forward to finding out this information.

markm
10-24-17, 12:30
There was a thread on it here a few years back. The guy from AAC at the time did some quantitative analysis on carbine and rifle load/tension. rsilvers was his username.

AR-Tenner
10-30-17, 11:14
There was a thread on it here a few years back. The guy from AAC at the time did some quantitative analysis on carbine and rifle load/tension. rsilvers was his username.

Thanks for the suggestion; I did quite a bit of searching, but couldn't locate it. Would anyone happen to know where I can find it?

I am actually going to try testing springs myself and will report my findings here. I am planning to tape the latch down on my charging handles, loop some heavy-gauge fishing line around the back of the handle, and use my trigger pull gauge to measure the closed-bolt and open-bolt pressure.

Todd.K
10-30-17, 11:50
A spring calculator would be the easiest way to get a comparison.

AR-Tenner
10-30-17, 12:28
A spring calculator would be the easiest way to get a comparison.

I thought of using these, but have heard that they are not accurate enough to be useful for such applications. If I am incorrect, can you recommend one that works well with gun springs?

Todd.K
10-30-17, 14:19
I've never designed springs, so I don't know one to recommend. I have no reason to believe they are not accurate.

Here is the thread referenced earlier.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?94336-Action-Spring-Analysis

26 Inf
10-30-17, 18:28
I've never designed springs, so I don't know one to recommend. I have no reason to believe they are not accurate.

Here is the thread referenced earlier.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?94336-Action-Spring-Analysis

Is the chart still there? It doesn't show for me.

AR-Tenner
10-31-17, 18:51
I can't see the chart, either. I contacted the guy who posted it, but he might not be active right now.