PDA

View Full Version : M4 stock rattle

Augee
10-24-06, 21:05
Hello,

The M4 style collapsible stock body on my Double Star AR seems to be loose fitting, it rattles around on the buffer tube. I originally bought it at a gun show from a dealer who had several AR's for sale, and various components that could be parted out and refitted for various configurations depending on what the buyer wanted.

IIRC, it originally had a "Crane style" stock body with the big cheek rests, but I had it replaced with a standard M4 stock. Granted, there's not too much play, relatively, of course, but if pressure is applied in the wrong direction then the stock body can actually block the charging handle from being pulled out all the way, not usually an issue, based on the way I tend to hold it when locking back the bolt, but I noticed it markedly when my girlfriend tried to yank it back with the stock in her lap and couldn't get it to go, and once I noticed it, it is kind of annoying.

Am I correct in surmising that I've got a mil-spec buffer tube, and an out of spec stock body? I'm afraid I can't say exactly what stock is attached, it is an unmarked M4 style stock, on a four position buffer tube. Like I said, I don't know exactly what was originally fitted to it, either, though I believe it was a Crane style stock.

Anyone got any advice out there on what the problem may be, am I correct? What can I do to fix it, I'm assuming buy a new stock body... Anyone got one for sale/trade? Also, I've never actually had to disassemble a carbine stock... any training I've gotten has been geared towards operational use and maintenance, so all I can really do is open the thing up, break down the BCG, and clean the whole thing (though damn well, I'd like to state! Made an old GI beater M16A1 they issue at LDAC purr using nothing but CLP and wet wipes!), and run a bore snake down the barrel.

Thanks,
~Augee

Robb Jensen
10-24-06, 22:32
It's very likely you have a commerical M4 stock (large diameter whole where reciever extension goes) and a Mil-Spec reciever extension (smaller diameter).

Hello,

The M4 style collapsible stock body on my Double Star AR seems to be loose fitting, it rattles around on the buffer tube. I originally bought it at a gun show from a dealer who had several AR's for sale, and various components that could be parted out and refitted for various configurations depending on what the buyer wanted.

IIRC, it originally had a "Crane style" stock body with the big cheek rests, but I had it replaced with a standard M4 stock. Granted, there's not too much play, relatively, of course, but if pressure is applied in the wrong direction then the stock body can actually block the charging handle from being pulled out all the way, not usually an issue, based on the way I tend to hold it when locking back the bolt, but I noticed it markedly when my girlfriend tried to yank it back with the stock in her lap and couldn't get it to go, and once I noticed it, it is kind of annoying.

Am I correct in surmising that I've got a mil-spec buffer tube, and an out of spec stock body? I'm afraid I can't say exactly what stock is attached, it is an unmarked M4 style stock, on a four position buffer tube. Like I said, I don't know exactly what was originally fitted to it, either, though I believe it was a Crane style stock.

Anyone got any advice out there on what the problem may be, am I correct? What can I do to fix it, I'm assuming buy a new stock body... Anyone got one for sale/trade? Also, I've never actually had to disassemble a carbine stock... any training I've gotten has been geared towards operational use and maintenance, so all I can really do is open the thing up, break down the BCG, and clean the whole thing (though damn well, I'd like to state! Made an old GI beater M16A1 they issue at LDAC purr using nothing but CLP and wet wipes!), and run a bore snake down the barrel.

Thanks,
~Augee

MontanaVet
10-26-06, 14:50
Get some adhesive Velcro, the kind that you can stick to something. Remove the stock from the rifle. Cut a small piece of Velcro from the fabric side and stick it on the edge of the buffer tube (on the round part, not the end). Replace the stock and your rattle should be fixed.