PDA

View Full Version : Scope mount help

ubet
10-25-17, 00:28
I'm going to be putting a pstII 2-10 on a colt 6920. What mount setup would you recommend? For my bolt rifle I've always used badger ordnance or nightforce.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

freefly
10-25-17, 01:29
Personally, I prefer QD cantilever mounts for 30mm/34mm tube variables on an AR. In that category, I like/use the ADM Recon mounts on everything now.
However, the similar offerings from Bobro and Larue are excellent as well (owned/used them all). Can't go wrong with any of those, IMO.

ghostly
10-25-17, 07:22
Do you need QD? If not the Nightforce is a nice unit and lightweight. It returns to zero as well as, if not better than the QD mounts if you torque it to the same value.

Aero makes a good mount as well.

Of the QDs, I like GDI quite a bit. The Bobro isn't bad either.

LMT/556
10-25-17, 09:43
Geissele 05-381B (30mm tube) x2 here. They might not be super light but in scope mounts I'm liking bullet proof.

Jsp10477
10-25-17, 11:23
I have a Nightforce unimount and an ADM qd. Both have held up fine. I haven't removed either so rtz hasn't been a concern. I like the NF more than the ADM and if I needed another mount I'd buy another Nightforce.

seedubs1
10-25-17, 13:32
non-qd here. Never liked QD.

Nightforce, JP, GG&G, or Badger are my favorites
Warne if on a budget and wanting something robust
AP if on a budget and wanting something light and "robust enough"

0uTkAsT
10-25-17, 15:51
Aero Precision if you're on a budget, weight is a priority, or QD is unnecessary. They can be a turd to level the scope in, but I have not had one fail and I am not easy on my shit.

Bobro and EOTech are my favorites for QD currently. ADM and LaRue make good mounts as well with a tremendous track record.

The Geisseles are sexy and probably bombproof just like everything else they make, but I don't have one nor do I see myself picking one up any time soon.

ubet
10-25-17, 16:03
The thing I liked about the nightforce was the 20moa cant in case I ever want to put it onto something with more range. The geisselle looks like a good mount, but damn it's expensive. I'm not looking for robust enough, I'm looking for robust, but not outrageous. Something under the $250 mark preferably. Qd isn't as important as well built.

LMT/556
10-25-17, 16:07
Both geissele 05-381B mounts I've purchased were under $250. Last one was from optics planet a few days ago purchased with a nightforce.

ubet
10-25-17, 16:09
Both geissele 05-381B mounts I've purchased were under $250. Last one was from optics planet a few days ago purchased with a nightforce.Huh. Could have sworn the ones I priced earlier were in the $350 range....

freefly
10-25-17, 16:35
Just FYI:

ADM 30mm Recon QD mount w/ 20MOA base @ $166 shipped w/ coupon code "year17":
American Defense Recon 30mm 20MOA (https://www.opticsplanet.com/american-defense-amer-def-recon-30mm-20moa-q-d-scope-mount-2-offset.html)

LMT/556
10-25-17, 17:44
Optics planet list is $325. I qualify for government discount, but if you watch for the sales around the holidays they are priced lower, around $243 sometimes. I dropped some coin at optics planet :rolleyes: so...

Eurodriver
10-25-17, 17:48
Is the FSP too close for running a full power cantilevered scope?

ubet
10-26-17, 07:49
Is the FSP too close for running a full power cantilevered scope?I'm not sure honestly

0uTkAsT
10-26-17, 09:05
Is the FSP too close for running a full power cantilevered scope?

Depending on the magnification, you will definitely see it. A true 1x scope will show it as a slightly distorted and magnified version of what you'd see through a red dot. Beyond about 1.2x you will see a blurred shadow of the FSP and beyond about 3-3.5x depending on the scope it begins to disappear from view altogether.

OrbitalE
10-27-17, 14:14
Huh. Could have sworn the ones I priced earlier were in the $350 range....

Beyond sales that bring the price lower, several models were recently discontinued and blown out by retailers.

LMT/556
10-27-17, 14:37
Current sale is $260

ghostly
10-27-17, 14:55
Current sale is $260

That isn't bad at all. I've avoided them in the past because of cost compared to NF, etc. I would give them a try if I needed something right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seedubs1
10-30-17, 09:32
Always wondered why the JP mount doesn't get more love??? You can pretty much always find them for $200 or a bit under. Does everything the Geissele mount does, and gets rid of the 1/2" nuts that are a snag point. It's like a beefed up Aero Precision mount. VERY nice IMHO.

That isn't bad at all. I've avoided them in the past because of cost compared to NF, etc. I would give them a try if I needed something right now.

0uTkAsT
11-01-17, 15:18
Always wondered why the JP mount doesn't get more love??? You can pretty much always find them for $200 or a bit under. Does everything the Geissele mount does, and gets rid of the 1/2" nuts that are a snag point. It's like a beefed up Aero Precision mount. VERY nice IMHO.
They are rock solid, but they don't have a G in the name. They are also heavier and more expensive than ADM mounts, without the QD capability or as much available offset.

OP, there are so many good options you just need to figure out what your priorities are and go from there. If you zero in on the features that are most important to your application and stick with a good manufacturer, you won't be disappointed with anything from ADM, Seekins, JP, LaRue, Aero, Geissele, Nightforce, EOTech, Bobro, GDI, SPUHR, Midwest Industries, Badger, Warne, GGG, Leupold, Vortex, or shit I could go all day.

SomeOtherGuy
11-01-17, 16:16
Almost any US-made mount, but:

OP, there are so many good options you just need to figure out what your priorities are and go from there. If you zero in on the features that are most important to your application and stick with a good manufacturer, you won't be disappointed with anything from ADM, Seekins, JP, LaRue, Aero, Geissele, Nightforce, EOTech, Bobro, GDI, SPUHR, Midwest Industries, Badger, Warne, GGG, Leupold, Vortex, or shit I could go all day.

1) In my experience the AeroPrecision mounts can mark the scope tube even when carefully tightened per directions.
2) I had one of the first QD Midwest mounts that came out and had trouble with the QD system. Mine might have been a fluke, but I like the ADM much better.
3) GGG is OK but their QD clamp isn't the best and they are pricey for what you get. Fit and finish seems to trail ADM, Larue and Bobro.
4) Leupold makes several grades of mount. The lower priced Mark 2 has sharp edges.
5) Vortex doesn't make any mounts, they re-badge others. At times their re-badged mounts have included Seekins, ADM, and generic Chinese iffy stuff. Just buy the name-brand unless the Vortex happens to be cheaper and you are 100% certain who made it.
6) Spuhr, which is Swedish, is ungodly expensive but in terms of quality is the only exception I'd make to buy US. They are at least as good as any US mount, if you want their specific features.

ubet
11-01-17, 17:32
Does the adm have any can't to it? Cant and sturdy are the two priorities, that and being high enough

MisterHelix
11-01-17, 17:45
The Aero Precision SPR mount is lightweight, (relatively) inexpensive, and low profile. I can't say how durable it is. It doesn't look or feel particularly robust, but likely good enough for my hunting 6.8x43.

The Bobro Q/D mount is heavy, (relatively) expensive, and not particularly low profile. It looks and feels very robust. I have one mounted on a KAC SR15 that I consider a "serious use" rifle.

Depends on what your goals and parameters are, I suppose.

freefly
11-01-17, 17:48
Does the adm have any can't to it? Cant and sturdy are the two priorities, that and being high enough
Yes, they make one with a 20MOA base, just like the one I posted in this thread last week (Post #11), as well as a 30MOA option.

Edit: And it looks like it's even cheaper now @ $160 shipped, with the latest coupon code.

ubet
11-01-17, 17:55
Yes, they make one with a 20MOA base, just like the one I posted in this thread last week (Post #11), as well as a 30MOA option.

Edit: And it looks like it's even cheaper now @ $160 shipped, with the latest coupon code.Ah hell I missed the link I guess. Thanks, I'll probably go that direction.

0uTkAsT
11-01-17, 22:21
The Aero Precision SPR mount is lightweight, (relatively) inexpensive, and low profile. I can't say how durable it is. It doesn't look or feel particularly robust, but likely good enough for my hunting 6.8x43.
They seem to be plenty durable. I have three, all SPR length. One is on a hard use rifle, one is on my truck gun that realistically gets beat up more than my hard use gun, and one on a rimfire range toy. They have all held up to many hard knocks and general abuse without any issues. Frank Proctor is actually the one who originally turned me on to them, and if they're good enough for him...

My one and only complaint is a minor one, and that is they can be a pain in the butt to level the scope in properly.

YMMV

seedubs1
11-02-17, 06:00
I’d pay an extra $50 for an Aero scope mount with standard 4 bolt split rings. That hinge design is a pain to level a scope in and get the correct bolt torque. And the hinge is the standard failure point I’ve seen from people using too much torque when mounting a scope.

They seem to be plenty durable. I have three, all SPR length. One is on a hard use rifle, one is on my truck gun that realistically gets beat up more than my hard use gun, and one on a rimfire range toy. They have all held up to many hard knocks and general abuse without any issues. Frank Proctor is actually the one who originally turned me on to them, and if they're good enough for him...

My one and only complaint is a minor one, and that is they can be a pain in the butt to level the scope in properly.

YMMV

0uTkAsT
11-02-17, 10:38
I’d pay an extra $50 for an Aero scope mount with standard 4 bolt split rings. That hinge design is a pain to level a scope in and get the correct bolt torque. And the hinge is the standard failure point I’ve seen from people using too much torque when mounting a scope.
Won't get any arguments from me there, I hope they do make that a reality.

Now on the subject of new or hypothetical ultralight mounts, I know that Scalarworks is coming out with a series of scope mounts soon. Without a doubt, they will be amazing.

Wake27
11-02-17, 11:57

Now on the subject of new or hypothetical ultralight mounts, I know that Scalarworks is coming out with a series of scope mounts soon. Without a doubt, they will be amazing.

I hope they're still on track for the stated timeline, I'm really looking forward to one. I asked if they'd be releasing in 1.93" and was told their plan was to make a riser that would work for any of their optics. Sounds cool, but it seemed very conceptual unfortunately.

seedubs1
11-02-17, 14:46
If they can get the cost down anywhere close to what the Aero Precision mounts are selling for.....I'll swap all of my mounts.

For now, I'm sticking with JP. It's like a beefed up Aero Precision.

OrbitalE
11-02-17, 22:18
If they can get the cost down anywhere close to what the Aero Precision mounts are selling for.....I'll swap all of my mounts.

If only Ferrari could get the cost down anywhere close to what the Mustang sells for, I'd swap all of my cars.

Wake27
11-02-17, 23:16
Yeah Scalarworks and AP are in a whole different league then AP.

seedubs1
11-03-17, 09:12
I disagree. The Aero mount is pretty high quality. It has recoil lugs, great lock up, and IMHO, it's a great design and doesn't give up much to some of the higher dollar mounts. If they updated it with true split rings instead of the hinged design, it'd be about perfect. And yes, I do have higher dollar scope mounts to compare to.

I think a lot of the scope mounts out there are overpriced.

0uTkAsT
11-03-17, 13:04
I disagree. The Aero mount is pretty high quality. It has recoil lugs, great lock up, and IMHO, it's a great design and doesn't give up much to some of the higher dollar mounts. If they updated it with true split rings instead of the hinged design, it'd be about perfect. And yes, I do have higher dollar scope mounts to compare to.

I think a lot of the scope mounts out there are overpriced.
I agree that Aero mounts are in a playing field where quality far surpasses their sale price, but others being overpriced in comparison is a moot point because most of these companies have been around for a good while and obviously sell sufficient quantities at their respective price points to remain in business. They're not trying to push Walmart-like product volumes, nor are they competing to be the low cost leader. I think Aero is, on the other hand, trying to position themselves as the go-to manufacturer for quality yet affordably priced ARs and accessories, which they are doing very well at.

seedubs1
11-03-17, 13:28
Well stated. It all comes down to the business model companies want to run.

I agree that Aero mounts are in a playing field where quality far surpasses their sale price, but others being overpriced in comparison is a moot point because most of these companies have been around for a good while and obviously sell sufficient quantities at their respective price points to remain in business. They're not trying to push Walmart-like product volumes, nor are they competing to be the low cost leader. I think Aero is, on the other hand, trying to position themselves as the go-to manufacturer for quality yet affordably priced ARs and accessories, which they are doing very well at.

ra2bach
11-16-17, 15:01
I like the ADM that holds SWFA 1-6 but I want something with horizontally split rings, not the vertically split rings that ADM has. other than Bobro, who does an affordable horizontal split mount?

I'm not against using something non-QD, like separate rings...

SomeOtherGuy
11-16-17, 15:23
I like the ADM that holds SWFA 1-6 but I want something with horizontally split rings, not the vertically split rings that ADM has. other than Bobro, who does an affordable horizontal split mount?
I'm not against using something non-QD, like separate rings...

If you consider Bobro to be affordable - um... then ADM's Delta mount is a high quality QD mount in the same price range with horizontally split rings.

https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/1020/

If you don't care about QD, Warne makes a really nice extended mount that sells for around $100-120. Search for "Warne Gen 2 extended MSR mount".

ra2bach
11-19-17, 19:50
If you consider Bobro to be affordable - um... then ADM's Delta mount is a high quality QD mount in the same price range with horizontally split rings.

https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/1020/

If you don't care about QD, Warne makes a really nice extended mount that sells for around $100-120. Search for "Warne Gen 2 extended MSR mount".

thanks, that Delta mount looks beefy. it's about the same price as the single lever Bobro but 1.5oz heavier. it looks like it could handle more scope weight but I don't worry about the Bobro that I already have.

I have been looking at that Warne mount but I don't know what type of reputation it has. I can see using it for a light scope on a 5.56 but wonder if it's up to the weight of a 25oz scope on a 308...

SomeOtherGuy
11-19-17, 20:19
I have two of the ADM Delta 30mm with no forward extension. It's an extremely sturdy mount. I haven't tested it to destruction but I imagine it standing up to any realistic abuse. I think I read that they were designed for use with the SCAR Mk17, but I could be wrong on that.

I have several of the Warne gen2 mounts in use also, both 30mm and 1" sized. It is also an extremely sturdy mount, with no apparent weaknesses. It also has a considerable forward extension of 2"+, but is not clumsy on setups that don't require that much extension (unlike many of the QD super-extended mounts). If you don't need QD it's a great mount, US-made, at a very low price. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a .308 with a 25-30oz scope.