PDA

View Full Version : Colt AR15 A3?

dlraymond30
10-26-17, 21:03
Ive done a little research on this model and it looks to be from Canada sporting a hammer forged (cold?) barrel with a 1/9 twist with chrome bore. My question to all you guys is would you buy this (used, obviously) for $800 with low round count and in very good shape? Is it worth it in todays market? It is still stock. If you guys have any other advice and/or knowlege/experience with this version, please include.

Regards,
Darrin

flenna
10-27-17, 04:03
Ive done a little research on this model and it looks to be from Canada sporting a hammer forged (cold?) barrel with a 1/9 twist with chrome bore. My question to all you guys is would you buy this (used, obviously) for $800 with low round count and in very good shape? Is it worth it in todays market? It is still stock. If you guys have any other advice and/or knowlege/experience with this version, please include.

Regards,
Darrin

Is this the 6721? Colt used to call it the AR15A3. If so, that has the 1/9 heavy barrel. I don't know about being made in Canada, though. That is a nice, accurate weapon- Molon has some tests posted here with that gun with nice results. I have owned a 6721 for 20 years and it served as my duty gun for several of those. Currently I have it scoped out and use it for varmint hunting.

5.56 Bonded SP
10-27-17, 04:08
If it is a 20" gun maybe... Although you can buy a new A4 Colt or Fn clone for ~1000$

I would probably just buy a new gun, if it's not a 20" gun you might as well get a new 6920 or something similar for the same price or less.

I was not aware that any rifles from Canada were imported into the United States, if so that's news to me.

As I have gotten older I have sold and bought a lot of used guns. Now my philosophy on gun ownership is to buy new guns and never sell them, because I always regret buying used guns or selling my old guns. But that's just my personal opinion.....
do whatever makes you happy man.

5.56 Bonded SP
10-27-17, 04:12
Oh, is this the gun you are talking about OP? It is marked AR15 A3.. Don't think it's chf either..

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/colt-6721-ar15-a3-carbine-detail.html?Itemid=0

Personally, I would just snag a new 6920 or something like that for 800$... at least that way you know how the rifle was treated by its owner, which would be you.

voiceofreason
10-27-17, 05:54
Oh, is this the gun you are talking about OP? It is marked AR15 A3.. Don't think it's chf either..

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/colt-6721-ar15-a3-carbine-detail.html?Itemid=0

Personally, I would just snag a new 6920 or something like that for 800$... at least that way you know how the rifle was treated by its owner, which would be you.

+1

or just spend more $$$ and get exactly what you want. doesn't sound like you're that enthuzed (how is that a word?) about this purchase as is

Sancho Panza
10-27-17, 08:23
Colt AR6721, available NiB for $820, or maybe less...

5.56 Bonded SP
10-27-17, 15:48
Here is a brand new one for 827$
http://tssoutfitters.com/shop/colt-ar6721-carbine-ar-15-semi-auto-223-5-56-16-1-hb-30-1-4pos-stk-blk/

Stickman
10-27-17, 17:25
Is this the 6721? Colt used to call it the AR15A3. If so, that has the 1/9 heavy barrel. I don't know about being made in Canada, though. That is a nice, accurate weapon- Molon has some tests posted here with that gun with nice results. I have owned a 6721 for 20 years and it served as my duty gun for several of those.

Same thing here, I carried mine for awhile, then went with an M4 upper which was a bit lighter, and finally settled on a SBR upper. The 6721 is very accurate, however, it is the only weapon which has ever failed in a real world incident for me. Sh*t happens, and it is why we do clearance drills. Push on and win.

Doc Safari
10-27-17, 17:29
Same thing here, I carried mine for awhile, then went with an M4 upper which was a bit lighter, and finally settled on a SBR upper. The 6721 is very accurate, however, it is the only weapon which has ever failed in a real world incident for me. Sh*t happens, and it is why we do clearance drills. Push on and win.

Failed? How? One malfunction? Or you mean "failed" as in the upper was no longer any good?

Stickman
10-27-17, 18:06
Failed? How? One malfunction? Or you mean "failed" as in the upper was no longer any good?

Real world meaning not a training or range incident.

Failed, meaning did not fire when needed and I was unable to engage with lethal force at that particular moment.

When I mentioned the malfunction drills, I thought that explained it, evidently I should have been a bit more clear.

Like I said, it is why we train, or at the very least why we should train hard. I apologize for getting the thread off track with war stories, the 6721 is a solid weapon.

Sancho Panza
10-27-17, 20:38
After the danger was over, did you track the problem?

pat701
10-28-17, 09:03
Here is a brand new one for 827$
http://tssoutfitters.com/shop/colt-ar6721-carbine-ar-15-semi-auto-223-5-56-16-1-hb-30-1-4pos-stk-blk/

Out of stock already

Mrgunsngear
10-29-17, 15:10

Regards,
Darrin

Well, mine has a US barrel but here's a review I did of it a few years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj6X8HtwejU

Stickman
10-29-17, 17:01
After the danger was over, did you track the problem?

God intervened and decided it wasn't time for the bad guy to die. That is as honest as I can come up with. There was nothing wrong with the weapon, nothing wrong with the ammo, nothing wrong with the mag, and my malfunction clearance was done before my brain even processed the weapon issue.

Like I said, its why we train. I have always told people who I'm training them that we DO NOT rise to the occasion, but rather, we sink to our lowest level of training. Our worst must be better than their best. Not some of the time, but all of the time.

Doc Safari
10-29-17, 18:04
I guess I misread your post. I thought you used the word "failed" to mean the gun was no good after that incident. (I think I got maybe two hours of sleep the night before that post).

My 6721 is the most accurate AR I've ever owned. I keep it for SHTF just for that reason. When I've got some time to research precision scopes a little more, I think that rifle may get a 1-4 variable or something.

I can hit small targets with that rifle that the others just put rounds in the vicinity of.

flenna
10-29-17, 18:31
I guess I misread your post. I thought you used the word "failed" to mean the gun was no good after that incident. (I think I got maybe two hours of sleep the night before that post).

My 6721 is the most accurate AR I've ever owned. I keep it for SHTF just for that reason. When I've got some time to research precision scopes a little more, I think that rifle may get a 1-4 variable or something.

I can hit small targets with that rifle that the others just put rounds in the vicinity of.

Mine, too. Which, since it is not longer my duty gun, I use it for hunting. I put an inexpensive 3-9x32 on it for now until I decide to get something better with greater magnification. Which may be never since I can hit a groundhog in the head at 120 yards (the distance from my back deck to the woodline).

dpadams6
10-29-17, 20:58
Buy with confidence. The 6721 is a fantastic rifle.

dlraymond30
11-01-17, 10:39
apparently the seller said it is definitely a canadian make

titsonritz
11-01-17, 13:42
I have always told people who I'm training them that we DO NOT rise to the occasion, but rather, we sink to our lowest level of training. Our worst must be better than their best. Not some of the time, but all of the time.

You hear this a lot, that's because it is worth repeating.

5.56 Bonded SP
11-01-17, 16:47
Like I said, its why we train. I have always told people who I'm training them that we DO NOT rise to the occasion, but rather, we sink to our lowest level of training. Our worst must be better than their best. Not some of the time, but all of the time.

Yup, some very knowledgeable individuals have told me those same words in the past.