PDA

View Full Version : Adj Carrier key?

dlraymond30
10-26-17, 22:04
I'm looking at getting a used 10.3" barrel that I will be suppressing and I am looking at either a Sun Devil adj gas key or the Bootleg adj carrier and wanted your guys technical know how regarding either of these items. Especially on something like a barrel with a pinned/welded suppressor like the spartan 3 or the trek if i decide to go that route. Any knowledge/experience would be hugely appreciated as I put a lot of weight to what you guys advise me on.

thanks,
Darrin

BLACKMAX1
10-27-17, 14:03
Never heard of the sun devil, but have heard good things on the bootleg one, and it can be adjusted with it in the gun. With your suppressor being pinned on I'm guessing the ease access to an adjustable gas block would be difficult? If not I'd recommend that over the carrier, the gas block is at least stopping the gas before it comes all the way back to the carrier. Not that it really poses an issue, just a thought. I run SLR adjustable gas blocks on two of my guns and love them.

Todd.K
10-27-17, 15:57
Get a 6920 barrel cut down, and don't touch the gas port. My next suggestion is a gas block tapped for a set screw with a .062" size.

Your application doesn't need adjustability, just a smaller port size.

markm
10-27-17, 16:48
Get a 6920 barrel cut down, and don't touch the gas port. My next suggestion is a gas block tapped for a set screw with a .062" size.

Agreed. Adjusting at the carrier doesn't seam like a good idea. We've choked down 7 or so barrels with the set screw method.

GH41
10-27-17, 17:10
Pin and weld on a used barrel.... Not me.

tom12.7
10-27-17, 17:54

This, ditch that used barrel and start fresh. There's a lot of reasons why you shouldn't regulate gas at the key.

Clint
10-27-17, 18:43
Yup, a dedicated suppressed barrel should have a gas port sized appropriately.

dlraymond30
10-27-17, 20:42
i was looking at the RGP barrel from sionics i beileve... reduced gas port especially for a possible permanent suppressor attached...

Todd.K
10-27-17, 22:33
I think that is just a good ammo port barrel. May not run on junk ammo and a bit less overgassed with a can. Not as good as a suppressed only port, and if you are pinning a can I wouldn't compromise.

mig1nc
10-28-17, 07:34
If you did get a full power 5.56 optimized gas port, you could still shoot shitty .223 junk ammo by dropping in a lighter buffer or spring.

It's all just a balancing act.

tom12.7
10-28-17, 16:38
If you did get a full power 5.56 optimized gas port, you could still shoot shitty .223 junk ammo by dropping in a lighter buffer or spring.

It's all just a balancing act.

That is very true if the port size is based on use with something similar to the H2/A5H2.

GSMullins
10-28-17, 19:42
I've run a Rubber City Armory adjustable gas key for a couple years, and it works fine, has enough range, and does not "creep" from where it's set. It uses a set screw to regulate gas, and a second set screw to lock the first in place. GTG, IMHO.

dlraymond30
11-01-17, 10:28
how many rounds do you have through that carrier with that adj key? What kind of shooting? Ammo? Also, did you stake the key or did you purchase the carrier with the key attached? If you staked it how did you do so? Ive been considering getting the MOACKS that is a sticky thread on here...

I know this is a lot but I'd really appreciate as much info as you can remember.

thanks for your time,
Darrin

tehpwnag3
11-01-17, 11:12
The MOACKS is a great, handy tool, but a little spendy for once or twice usage. You can properly stake a gas key with a punch and hammer, but the MOACKS does make it a whole lot easier and with far less risk of making it look all fugly.

how many rounds do you have through that carrier with that adj key? What kind of shooting? Ammo? Also, did you stake the key or did you purchase the carrier with the key attached? If you staked it how did you do so? Ive been considering getting the MOACKS that is a sticky thread on here...

I know this is a lot but I'd really appreciate as much info as you can remember.

thanks for your time,
Darrin

GSMullins
11-01-17, 11:16
how many rounds do you have through that carrier with that adj key? What kind of shooting?

500~1K rounds of target shooting and drills.

Ammo?

Everything from UMC and Tula to maximum hand loads, to be sure it cycles with all - which it does.

Also, did you stake the key or did you purchase the carrier with the key attached? If you staked it how did you do so?

Bought key alone, staked with Pocket MOACKS.

Clint
11-01-17, 18:45
Finding a barrel with a properly sized gas port for dedicated suppressed use will be difficult.

As stated before, it will generally need to be made using a cut down barrel.

As an easy alternative, we offer the MicroTune gas block, which accomplishes gas regulation at the proper location just above the existing gas port in the barrel.

This allows you to select the size to achieve the proper level of gas drive for nearly any application, including a dedicated suppressed SBR.

Its *almost* as good as a dedicated suppressed barrel and works on the barrel of your choice.

https://dqzrr9k4bjpzk.cloudfront.net/images/812059/230279010.jpg

MisterHelix
11-01-17, 18:51
Finding a barrel with a properly sized gas port for dedicated suppressed use will be difficult.

As stated before, it will generally need to be made using a cut down barrel.

]

Sionics offers an 11.5" barrel with a reduced gas port for suppressed use. I haven't personally used one, but everything else I've bought from Sionics has been gtg.

Clint
11-01-17, 21:16
The Sionics is a great barrel, but as mentioned, the gas port is sized larger than required for dedicated suppressed use.

MisterHelix
11-01-17, 21:50
The Sionics is a great barrel, but as mentioned, the gas port is sized larger than required for dedicated suppressed use.

I did not know that. The description makes it sound like it should be correct for suppressed use only.

11.5" CL - MC - CL - RGP - Stripped
"This Barrel is designed for use with a Suppressor. We do not recommend using this Barrel without a Suppressor as the weapon may not cycle properly."

http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/5/61-5-chrome-lined-stripped.html

Edit to add: my 2¢ for the OP: I've used adjustable gas blocks (SLR sentry) on some guns and plain, lo-pro gas blocks on others. I shoot suppressed 99% of the time. The only AGB that I kept is on a 6.8 hunting rifle. The 5.56's, well, they're slightly over gassed suppressed, but I don't think it's a big deal, and it causes no failure to function. If anything, it's one less potential failure point. The SLR-type AGB requires periodic maintence, and may not be accessible behind a pinned can. Clint's model may be a better "set it and forget it" option. Your circumstances may be different than mine, but I can't think of a scenario where I'd want to pin and weld a can to my barrel, but good luck with your project.

dlraymond30
11-03-17, 10:06
Thanks everyone for all your replies! And to Mullins I want to thank you for the response.
Regarding the pinned suppressor here is one helluva deal https://www.hardenedarms.com/ecProduct_750_72-Black%20Friday%20Sale-AR15%20Rifle-Stingray%2010.5%20556%2010"%20HD%20Quad%20Rail%20SS%20Suppressor%20Rifle
Even if it doesn't stand up perfectly it's still a damn good deal and one I think should be tested. If I can come up with the funds I'll be the guinea pig... Just don't see that happening however...
One last thing to BRT how difficult is it to change the GP on your block? Do you have pre-made sizes for something like running a 14.5" suppressed shooting cheapo bi -metal ammo?

-Darrin

Clint
11-04-17, 11:13
Swapping the gas port just involves removing the gas block and replacing the port.

It's an easy job at the work bench but generally too involved to do at the firing line.

The gas ports on the web store have a "pick for me" option and you select the relevant info for your application.

We can also provide application info for most configurations by emailing info@brt (spelled out).