PDA

View Full Version : AR Match vs. WOLF SRM primers

markm
10-28-17, 10:46
Teaser for you primer lovers... we're going to shoot these head to head this weekend. :cool:

We'll see if AR Match can compete with the Gold Standard in primification.

https://i.imgur.com/Qzj7ndM.jpg

masan
10-28-17, 11:55
If the Feds are better, just lie to me about, I spend enough buying 205s for benchrest. Plus Wolf sounds cooler :cool:

gunnerblue
10-28-17, 11:58
Looking forward to it as all I have are Federal and am waiting to pick up some Wolf.

markm
10-28-17, 12:46
If the Feds are better, just lie to me about,

Better? Playoffs? Playoffs? Ha. I'm just trying to see if they can come close to Wolf.

Ryno12
10-28-17, 13:20
I’m gonna doubt it. I haven’t seen a bench rest primer come close to the Ruskies yet.

markm
10-28-17, 13:38
I’m gonna doubt it. I haven’t seen a bench rest primer come close to the Ruskies yet.

I know. Maybe I'll try them with TAC next weekend to see if ball powder changes things.

308sako
10-28-17, 16:53
Always interested in the little things that can mean so much. This is a worthy attempt on your part and I do hope will yield some positive information (beyond what we already know.) Which is to say that the wolf primers were among the very best to be found at anytime or place.

darr3239
10-28-17, 21:25
Hey, what did you find?

A couple of hours before I was going to meet you my wife says, "the water heater is leaking!" Now my back and legs are sore, so are my son's, and no shots fired for all the money spent. They sure cost a lot.

Well we got 15 years out of the gas heater anyway.

markm
10-29-17, 22:21
Test gun was the 20 inch Rem 700 5R. Wind was right to left, and we did not hold off. Just shot the groups.

The AR Match Primers shot good. They add velocity for sure.. +/- 20 fps. Here's the first 5 round string.

Velocity 2748 SD 22

https://i.imgur.com/5F107bx.jpg

We also shot a 5 round group with an oddball slow round that was in the 2600s. Velocity was 2735 with an SD of 44. I have to think that there was a powder charge issue or a bad chrono read.

Wolf killed these primers on SD. First 5 round group was 2729 SD 9, and the second group was 2710 with an SD of 6.

https://i.imgur.com/qisHrqe.jpg

We also shot a group with another lot of WOLF that ran 2690 SD 11

The bottom line was that the groups were comparable, but Wolf crushed these primers on velocity consitency.

lesptr
10-30-17, 08:23
While I haven’t tried the Wolf primers, I do have the Federal premium AR primers. They seem to be sufficiently harder than standard primers to cause my Remington model 7 300BLK to have “light primer strikes”. In some instances it will take a couple of ties to get it to fire. I was hoping I could find a load that would work in 2 AR’s, the Rem 7, and the Handi rifle.

Perhaps I’ll try the Wolf primers.
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gaijin
10-30-17, 09:49
Looking at your groups I'd venture the Wolf primer group has the potential to be the accuracy load. Inclined to attribute the lone flier to "whatever".
Was distance 100 yds?

Are the Wolf SRM primers currently available anywhere? I checked a couple of the "usual places" that showed none in stock.
A SD of 6 is impressive.

darr3239
10-30-17, 10:10
Mark mentioned in another post the Wolfs are no longer being imported for some reason. So for me and others it's a bummer.

markm
10-30-17, 10:23
Looking at your groups I'd venture the Wolf primer group has the potential to be the accuracy load. Inclined to attribute the lone flier to "whatever".
Was distance 100 yds?

Yes. 100 yards. The WOLF load has shot 1/4" on good days. It's the standard load we run, and the baseline for the comparison. Everyone I know who has tried Russian primers has seen noteworthy reductions in S.D.

jaholder
10-30-17, 18:08
Mark mentioned in another post the Wolfs are no longer being imported for some reason. So for me and others it's a bummer.

This is why i avoid using foreign made primers. Once you find one that works great they're gone. Even S&B primers that Cablea's carries at fire sale prices are hit and miss in availability.

tommyrott
10-31-17, 10:11
fedarm.com has MTM primers available for sale on their website, 124.95 for 5,000 SRP. They also have small pistol, large pistol, and large rifle available. MTM is the manufacturer for wolf primers

Pappabear
11-01-17, 14:53
Trying them is a good idea, problem is finding them. We and the Ruskies are not playing well in the primer market. I will say that I have a friend / Riflesmith that said Federal have the hottest primers by far. Giving higher velocities some times. But as consistent as Wolf and possible others.

Pappabear
11-01-17, 15:00
The other take away that we have largely discounted is wind at 100 yards. Unless the wind was ripping, we took no notice. But when we inspected our target (with moderate wind) ALL the groups were blown left. Not huge but our vertical spread was half our horizontal. 6 different groups.

Note to self, pay attention to wind when shooting 223 at 100 yard groups. Thats why the Benchrest crazies follow the flags with intensity.

darr3239
11-01-17, 15:06
MTM is the manufacturer for wolf primers

So the MTM primers are the same, similar, or comparable to the Wolf primers?

markm
11-01-17, 15:29
So the MTM primers are the same, similar, or comparable to the Wolf primers?

No idea. $32 per thousand delivered for 5k of them is a little steep for a gamble. But if I had none, I'd try them.

darr3239
11-01-17, 18:34
Just received this email from Fedarm Sales in response to my questions: "These primers are manufactured in Russia. We have OEM made primers for Wolf and Tulammo. These are the same primers they use."

Begs the question as to why these are available when the Wolfs aren't.

I guess the lower price of the Russian primers has gone away.