PDA

View Full Version : India's small arms contest

Slater
10-28-17, 15:48
With polymer mags taking over the world, what advantage could steel mags provide?

"Among the most important parts of the tender was the supply of steel magazines"

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/10/26/russia-exits-indian-tender-7-62x39mm-rifles-procurement/

Jellybean
10-28-17, 16:18
I was under the impression that classic steel AK mags are pretty damn near indestructible..... :confused:
So, I guess there's that over polymer mags.
BUT... given that at this point most legit plastic mags are a known quality.... I wouldn't have let that stop me from buying the rifles....
Probably some sort of politics involved...

Unless India's procurement group has been spending to much time on American fudd gun forums and have bought into "steel uber alles" tripe...? Probably start trying to source AR500 plates next... :laugh:

SteyrAUG
10-28-17, 17:17
With polymer mags taking over the world, what advantage could steel mags provide?

"Among the most important parts of the tender was the supply of steel magazines"

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/10/26/russia-exits-indian-tender-7-62x39mm-rifles-procurement/

Well my 100+ year old steel pistol magazines still work perfectly. Love Pmags but I wonder what they will be like in 100 years.

Moose-Knuckle
10-28-17, 17:29
India Home Affairs Office, I'm going to ass-u-me that is an internal police thing much like our DHS. AK's make since there but they should be flexible on the mag issue.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-28-17, 19:03
I bet it is as simple as tradition and helping the steel industry or the guys with the equipment to run the tools to make the mags.

India has the attention span and argumentivenss of Americans, the bureaucracy of the Brits, with a population density higher than China’s- all wrapped in some pretty strong nationalism.

Kain
10-29-17, 09:02
Could be as simple as procurement believing that steel mags are better for whatever reason that is. One should remember that the ones placing the orders, approving things, don't always know what they think they know.

Well my 100+ year old steel pistol magazines still work perfectly. Love Pmags but I wonder what they will be like in 100 years.

This is a fair point. I have USGI 20rd AR/M16 mags that are from the 60's and still work fine, I still use them. There are also guys running around with Steyr Aug mags from the 80's that report no issues. That said, I will be the one to ask what is the assumed service life supposed to be for a rife mag? I mean, I know that countries like to do, and the US is not different, the rifle, pistol, magazine, ect, is going to have a planned service life of X number of years, Y number of years later they still looking for something to replace it. But, how long does a magazine actually need to survive?

Ron3
10-30-17, 00:03
I like steel mags.

I'd like to see the Beretta ARX mags put to some tests. I have some but haven't used them much.

5.56 Bonded SP
10-30-17, 20:48
I am going to go a little off topic..
In regards to AR mags..
I've had Pmags that got spread feed lips from being loaded for over a year. Some people say it doesn't happen, however from my personal experience it is a real phenomenon.
The funny thing is, my USGI mags seem to be the mags that end up failing and causing malfunctions more often/randomly. My USGI mags never get spread feed lips from being left loaded, but they do end up getting dented or damaged easier than polymer mags. I think the thin metal bodies get deformed easier. So plastics do have some advantages in regards to weight savings, corrosion, lubricity, and being resistant to denting/deformation. However plastic feed lips will eventually spread when left loaded for extended times.
I think there is a perfect middle of the road solution that both western and eastern countries have discovered. Polymer bodies with metal feed lips and reinforcements like (10) AK mags, reference - http://www.k-var.com/shop/Circle-10-Magazines/ , and Lancers.

My steel surplus AK mags seem to be the most durable mags of all, the metal is thick enough that they usually wont get deformed from standard use and being dropped, and if their feed lips get bent, you can just bend them back in place. However, AR mag dimensions cant use the same thickness of steel that AK mags do. From my experience, magazine related failures have been the #1 cause of malfunctions in my AR's.

However over the years, I am a huge fan of polymer mags with steel feed lips and reinforcements. For my AR's lancers are all I currently buy, and I have had no problems with them at all, where for comparison with AR mags I have had problems with both Pmags and USGI mags.

I don't think an all metal or all polymer mag is the best, I think utilizing both technologies will compensate for each materials shortcomings.
I am not saying that Pmags are bad, or that USGI mags are bad.. I just believe that utilizing both polymer and steel together will fix any shortcoming of only using one material. Same goes for the rifle parts, I think both polymer and metal has their respectable attributes.

SeriousStudent
10-30-17, 20:53
What did you do with those PMag's? I can guarantee you that Magpul would love to see them, and would give you new ones for free in exchange.

Still have them? Still have pictures?

Firefly
10-31-17, 01:06
I dunno...I still have some 10 year old pmags and while they have seen some use and aint as pretty they still work

I have some Pmags that have been loaded with the same TAP ammo since at least 09 and no noticeable signs of stress. Like still loaded.

Anyone can kill a pmag given time and having some good ol USGIs is never a bad idea but I still have not as many pmags in 556 as I once did but the ones I have are all 7 years old minimum and havent been babied.

India is just being weird

SeriousStudent
11-01-17, 17:33
I have some original Gen1 Pmags that I still use, and they still work. Load, unload, shoot, drop, reload, etc.

I must just be a lucky dude. I keep waiting for them to break, and they never do.

Doc Safari
11-01-17, 17:46
If my OEM Glock mags do not last at least 100 years I will send them back with an angry letter.

5.56 Bonded SP
11-01-17, 17:56
What did you do with those PMag's? I can guarantee you that Magpul would love to see them, and would give you new ones for free in exchange.

Still have them? Still have pictures?

I never took pictures, I might have some laying around but I gave most of the Pmags away IIRC, I will have to look when I get home tonight. I don't consider it a big deal at all, I personally view magazines as somewhat dispensable, an AR mag only costs generally as much as 30-50 rounds of 5.56 ammo.
I will have to remember that though, I did not know Magpul would replace them. I do my best to separate duty mags from range/training mags.

I do have faith in both Pmags and USGI mags, but at this current time I favor Lancers for reasons previously stated in my last post.

5.56 Bonded SP
11-01-17, 17:59
If my OEM Glock mags do not last at least 100 years I will send them back with an angry letter.

Lol.
BTW, my Glock mags have been great. They have been dropped free loaded on concrete many times, and still function flawlessly. Glock makes great mags!

Hootiewho
11-02-17, 17:01

Yeap. HK P7M13 mags will be here and working loooooong after Pmags are kaput.

I hope in a tropical country like India they take into account how chemicals like deet can mess up a mag.

eodinert
11-04-17, 06:53
Yeap. HK P7M13 mags will be here and working loooooong after Pmags are kaput.

That's funny, because all of my HK mags seem to have an affinity for rust. As long as I keep my Pmags out of the microwave, I suspect they'll do better than my HK mags.