PDA

View Full Version : Factory pinned lo pro gas block complete upper recommendations

dirkmagurk
10-28-17, 15:54
I recently have been looking around for a factory complete upper with a pinned lo profile gas block. Preferably one with a light weight barrel and a free float quad rail. My first thought was to order a DD M4 V5 with their LW barrel and 12” quad but it seems they’ve been discontinued.

Jaysop
10-28-17, 17:05
Noveske pins their gas blocks. Also LMT MRP barrels are all pinned as well. Off the top of my head that's what I came up with.
I never had a problem with my BCMs and the set screws fwiw.

nightchief
10-28-17, 18:20
Sons of Liberty Gun Works will pin a low pro gas block on their factory built uppers for a small fee

dirkmagurk
10-28-17, 19:40
I've wanted an LMT MRP for awhile but they're expensive "at least for me" and impossible to find in my area. I have no experience with Noveske, heard good things but for that kind of money I'd rather go with the LMT. I've never had an issue with BCM gas blocks either, but I don't exactly run them hard. A friend of mine showed me how he removes their gas blocks without a torch. He removes the handguard and shoots two or three 28 round magazines through the rifle, using gloves and a magwell/magazine hold or laying prone using the mag as a monopod. This gets the gas block hot enough to loosen the set screws fairly easily.

Jaysop
10-28-17, 19:45
Noveske is top quality but exspensive.
If your in the market for an MRP at a good price look over at Rainer arms. They have the uppers on sale right now.

rockapede
10-28-17, 21:56
I recently have been looking around for a factory complete upper with a pinned lo profile gas block. Preferably one with a light weight barrel and a free float quad rail. My first thought was to order a DD M4 V5 with their LW barrel and 12” quad but it seems they’ve been discontinued.

Ballistic Advantage offers complete uppers with their .625 Hanson profile barrels (tapered lightweight) and they pin their gas blocks. Caveat is the rails are a Keymod setup made by VLTOR, not a quad rail. I do not own any of their complete uppers but have several Hanson profile barrels. I've been very impressed.

everready73
10-29-17, 10:06
If your building and not looking for a compete upper AIM surplus sells Faxon barrels with pinned gas block. Bcm MK12 is one of the only ones they pin

dirkmagurk
10-29-17, 13:44
Thanks for that information, I had no idea Faxon offered pinned gas blocks. The Faxon barrel is most likely the route I'm going to go with this. Their gunner profile looks like a good balance.Do you happen to know if they still dimple and set screw these barrels as well?

AndyLate
10-29-17, 18:07
The 20 inch Gunner I bought from Aim has a pinned block and set screws, but is not dimpled. Why dimple if it is pinned?

My barrel has proven to be everything I hoped - light, consistent and reliable. Mine puts 5 rounds of any reasonable ammunition into 1.5 inches or better at 100 meters, with my best to date just under .6 inch.
Andy

Stickman
10-29-17, 18:12
You can buy the jig if you want to pin your own. Rainier Arms will also do the service. Lots of other places probably will as well. I would concentrate on the barrel qualities you want, as there is no reason the gas block can’t be pinned later on if you wish.

dirkmagurk
10-29-17, 20:07
Honestly I don’t feel comfortable attempting it myself. Who would your top recommendation be for either having a gas block pinned or possibly shaving down a FSB?

everready73
10-29-17, 20:57
Thanks for that information, I had no idea Faxon offered pinned gas blocks. The Faxon barrel is most likely the route I'm going to go with this. Their gunner profile looks like a good balance.Do you happen to know if they still dimple and set screw these barrels as well?
I don't believe they are dimpled, but Bryan at AIM had great customer service shoot him an email. If it is pinned I wouldn't feel the need for dimple, but they do make jigs for it. Here is the link for the 16'' Gunner. Solid deal with pinned gas block. https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XFX15A58R16NLQ&name=Faxon+Firearms+16+IN.+Gunner+.223%2f5.56+4150+QPQ+Nitride+Barrel&groupid=8006&fprdct=1

freefly
10-29-17, 21:50
A factory Colt OEM-2 upper can be had for relatively cheap these days.

dirkmagurk
10-30-17, 14:02
I would do that if Colt offered the OEM 2 with their mid length lw barrel CCU setup.

Clint
11-01-17, 18:48
We offer gas block pinning as an option on all our OPTIMUM barrels and uppers.

https://dqzrr9k4bjpzk.cloudfront.net/images/812059/469150450.jpg