PDA

View Full Version : New member - dumb questions?

gk2410
10-10-08, 06:49
I'm 60 years old, retired LE, and, while I still own a couple of Colt SP1's in my collection, have been away from the "information highway" as it relates to AR's for a long time. I've recently been looking at various offerings, both at gun shows and on the web, and noted that many of you are coverting to SBR's. Having previously owned an original Colt M-16 carbine (would you believe $313??) the sale of which I will always regret, I have taken to the look of the current M-4's.

I'm trying to decide whether to get the stamp for a SBR (the money doesn't bother me but the record and stigma does) or go with a 14.5" and a permanently attached flash hider. By the way, way back when, I remember a $5 stamp for at least the short barreled shotgun but I didn't know if it applied to the rifle too. No one bothered with the SBR alone because we could readily obtain licensing and covert to the XM177E2 configuration that was popular then.

So, a few questions:
1. What's the advantage of the SBR over the attached flash hider on a 14.5"?
2. Does anyone have a list of which flash hiders are the proper length (or a general overall length) that meets the necessary requirement?
3. If I choose to go the SBR route, am I, as an individual, allowed to just obtain the license and purchase the SBR upper and attach it to my AR, or is there more to it than that?
4. Has anyone done a study on the optimum barrel length? I just remember the noise and blast out of the little 11.5" guns, yet see a lot of offerings in that length (or 12" from LaRue).
5. Is there any ATF regulation limiting the number of guns you can covert?

I know that a lot of these may have been askeed in the past, but I just figure this is going to be a one time deal, so want to get your thoughts on it all.

Thanks in advance for all of the help and direction.
Greg

HAMMERDROP
10-10-08, 08:11
# 1. IMO the advantages are just for door kickers w/SBR's. You will lose more velocity with a short barrel and gain it w/longer barrels. Although I understand and I might be wrong that a polyagonal bore will help this somewhat depending on twist rate and bullet weight.
#2. Phantom, Vortex, KX3 flash hider will add enough length to a 14.5" barrel to make it legal w/out a Class III tax stamp.
#3. ? ? ? I dont have a SBR but unless someone else indicates different that should be about it. Slap it on, shoot away although it may need to be renewed yearly ?? I dunno hopefully someone who has such a weapon can inform you better on details.
#4. Longer barrels equal better accuracy but the best length, I guess unless you use it for hunting will be a personal preference. Optimum barrel length might be 18" since it is still manuverable but wil generate enough knock down power at greater distances with proper bullet weight than shorter barrels.
#5. Again someone here should be able to answer it with more hands on than I have. The ATF will also know.
But I hope this helps you with your decision, if you need to talk to a live body call G&R Tactical ask for Grant ... you can find him above or at the dealers forum.

Michael

JBnTX
10-10-08, 09:11
I'm 60 years old, retired LE, and, while I still own a couple of Colt SP1's in my collection,...

I'd think long and hard about "converting" those Colt SP1's into a SBR.

Older Colt AR-15's demand a premium price today and will definately be
worth more tomorrow.

Just a thought?