PDA

View Full Version : G23 to keep or not to keep.

Kevslatvin
10-31-17, 12:52
I've got a G23 but I've been kicking around trying to trade it for a G19. Mainly because 9mm is cheaper to shoot. I bought it back before the AWB sunset in 2004. At the time I thought since I can only have 10rnds I'll take 10 of the larger.40. Jump to the present and standard capacity mags have been available for may years even if 9 is less powerful I get more of them. That said it's really a moot point since I carry a G43 99% of the time now anyway. I have though of just getting a conversion barrel but I read of potential reliability issues. I had thought of just getting a G19 barrel and slide but that starts to get close to the cost of just buying another gun. Thoughts.

CDR_Glock
10-31-17, 13:21
Get a 19 if you ever intend to use it for defensive purposes. It would complement the G43 well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kevslatvin
10-31-17, 13:37
Get a 19 if you ever intend to use it for defensive purposes.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That has crossed my mind. If I had a conversion barrel or G19 slide/barrel and I had to use it in self defense, though legal how would it be viewed by law enforcement or if it got so far as court. So I guess carry it as a 23 if I keep it?

Kevslatvin
10-31-17, 13:40
My other question is a conversion barrel reliable enough for a pistol class? I wouldn't care to take one some day but 9mm ammo is much cheaper now days.
I don't think I'll miss the 23 but silly as it is I get attached to things and I've had it along time. I can't use the effectiveness of the .40 as an argument since I rarely carry it anymore.

ggammell
10-31-17, 14:22
That has crossed my mind. If I had a conversion barrel or G19 slide/barrel and I had to use it in self defense, though legal how would it be viewed by law enforcement or if it got so far as court. So I guess carry it as a 23 if I keep it?

Zero issues.

My other question is a conversion barrel reliable enough for a pistol class? I wouldn't care to take one some day but 9mm ammo is much cheaper now days.
I don't think I'll miss the 23 but silly as it is I get attached to things and I've had it along time. I can't use the effectiveness of the .40 as an argument since I rarely carry it anymore.

A pistol class would be the ideal place to shake out a conversion barrel and setup.

The effectiveness of a .40 compared to 9mm is no longer an issue.

Firefly
10-31-17, 14:36
Just rebarrel and blaze 9mm until it dries up and .40 is all you can get.

Kevslatvin
10-31-17, 15:04
Just rebarrel and blaze 9mm until it dries up and .40 is all you can get.

This reminds me of one of the past ammo shortages when Walmart's shelves were bare except for a few lone boxes of .357 sig. I have thought of with 9mm and 357 sig barrels I could shoot 3 different calibers. But then again I don't know how much I'd shoot the 357 just due to cost.

5.56 Bonded SP
10-31-17, 15:05
I'm not a fan of .40
I vote to go 9mm or 45

Doc Safari
10-31-17, 15:10
NUMBER NINE...NUMBER NINE....NUMBER NINE.....

Even if you are careful and exercise prudent gun safety, you could accidentally grab the wrong ammo for the wrong barrel at some point. You arrive at the range and realize, "Oops. I grabbed 40 and still had the 9mm barrel installed." Or, if it went the other way you could accidentally chamber 9mm in the 40 barrel and have a really bad day.

I would choose one and stick to it, preferably nine since the practice ammo is cheaper and there are really good defensive loads as well.

everready73
10-31-17, 15:39
I would get an upper conversion or 9mm barrel. Good luck trying to get someone to trade you a 9mm for 40. Also, if trying to sell they are the least popular and you wont be getting a premium for it

glocktogo
10-31-17, 15:40
Trade for a G19. /thread

Beat Trash
10-31-17, 18:02
I would through it out there for sale and see what you’re offered for it. If you can get enough money out of the 23, then take the money and run to the G19.

If you are going to take a huge hit, then consider a 9mm barrel.

CDR_Glock
10-31-17, 18:29
One confounding factor is that you can get a 9 mm and 357 Sig Barrel.

I took my 23, and use a 9 mm Lone Wolf Barrel. I placed it into a Roni Micro Stabilizer.

Instagram: MuzzleblastMD

MegademiC
10-31-17, 19:52
My thoughts, if your shooting a stock gun get a 19.

If you buy a barrel anyways(threaded for comp or silencer), just get a conversion barrel and try it out.

If you do: KKM conversion barrel. May need to upgrade the extractor if you shoot aluminum(my experience). Hold it to the same reliability std of a stock gun (discounting teething issues if experienced).

People buy a new gun run 1000rds through it and trust it... but they also have a converted pistol with 5000 trouble free rounds but don’t trust it?

Arik
10-31-17, 20:06
Or, if it went the other way you could accidentally chamber 9mm in the 40 barrel and have a really bad day.

At worst you'll get a funky shot. It's not going to explode.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Evel Baldgui
10-31-17, 20:13
G19... How can you argue against not having one ? :-)

Spiffums
10-31-17, 22:12
Get a 9mm conversion barrel and a factory (or aftermarket) 357 sig barrel and you have 3 guns in one!

Kevslatvin
10-31-17, 22:51
I may take it with me to the next gunshow and see if I can do some trading. With how cheap the LE trade in G23's are on AIM I don't know (like some mentioned) if I can actually get much for it. It's gonna be awhile before I do anything. I have to finish my Saiga conversion first. Conversion barrels are cheap enough I may get one after I finish this Saiga.

L-2
10-31-17, 23:18
As your financial advisor, you should be patient and wait until you can afford to buy a Glock 19 (whichever Gen).

If you go the conversion barrel for a G23 to shoot 9mm, I estimate you would break-even after buying ~3,000 rounds of 9mm instead of 3,000 rounds of .40, for fmj practice ammo. In other words, 3,000 rounds of 9mm plus the price of a conversion barrel equates to 3,000 rounds of .40.

The price for 3,000 rounds of 9mm can be more than the price of a new G19 anyway.

.40S&W isn't a bad round and has worked well for many of us for years, even decades. I say it's best to own both, but apparently having enough money right now is the problem. I like the idea of seeing for how much you can get by selling the G23. I suspect $300-$400 is a good range to expect depending on its condition and the possible offers.

After going through that ammo-shortage-period, it is comforting to have firearms in a few calibers although 9mm, .40, and .45ACP were all hard to get at times.

sundance435
11-01-17, 07:57
I wouldn't expect to get more than $300 for it on trade, especially for a 19. If you can afford to, I would just keep the 23.

Doc Safari
11-01-17, 08:51
At worst you'll get a funky shot. It's not going to explode.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply it would. I guess I should have said, "You'll have a really frustrating day at the range."