PDA

View Full Version : Elcan optics

Mojo58
10-24-06, 21:40
I got the opportunity to check out the Canadian military issue optics on a buddy's M4 (I guess it would be a C8). I was very impressed with the quality of the glass. Even the boldness of the reticle against foliage was easy to pick up unlike some other reticles that practically disappear in that background. I've met many Canadian Forces soldiers that love these optics. The only complaint that I've heard has been the mount. When I talked to my buddy about this, he told me that most of those problems are user induced (the mount is overtightened on the rail and damage either to the rail or the mount itself occurs. Often the use of Gerber tools or Leatherman pliers are used to overtighten the mounts). Does anyone here have any experience with Elcan optics and care to comment?

Ross
10-25-06, 02:17
I have one on my C7A1 clone. I like it alot. My scope is very old, and was one of the prototypes the Canadians used in testing. The reticle is completely different than the standard one, because it was a test model. That information came from ELCAN themselves.

Anyway, mine has a fourth gen mount on it, and I've never had any problem. The early mounts blew, and troops had to shim them with papaer, etc to keep them from moving around. The adjustments are on the mount, not the scope, so on the early mounts, the adjustments wore and became loose.

For me as a civillian, where I'm not having to change rifles, scopes, nor rezero every year from a mechanical zero (rather than from my personal setting), I honestly haven't even touched the adjustments after the first trip to the range.

I zeroed it, and haven't had to mess with it since. I've had the scope off several times, and it's returned to zero each time. On a .223, I don't see much need to fiddle with all the adjustments anyway. Sorta like A2 sights. Yeah, you can adjust all sorts of things, but rarely do I ever do it anyway.

So while my fourth-gen scope mount supposedly took care of any problems, I really don't use it in a way to cause the main problem of wearing out the adjustments.

The scope itself is rugged as all get-out. With the adjustments on the mount, the scope is basically just a sealed tube with glass and prisims in it. The reticle is etched on and doesn't have to move, as you move the whole tube to zero. So you don't get weird things like the cross-hairs sitting off to the side of the FOV, etc.

What I like most about it is the scope really pulls in light. I compared it to some Russian gen one night vision, and the ELCAN was actually far better at seeing in the dark than the night vision scope. When it gets crappy outside, like dark, snowing, raining, etc. you still get a nice clear, crisp image.

I would assume as old as my set-up is (about 8 years old) that they have even newer generation mounts. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, other than choking at the price, but you get what you pay for in optics.

KevinB
10-25-06, 18:40
The mount still blows.

What I posted on Profession Soldiers.

Well I have always hated the Elcan in any version. We never found any based from GenI to the current GenV C79A2 version to hold a zero.

I jumped one and came off it with a base only (the opitc was AWOL) - this was the time I decided a BIS was a good idea -and no one would move forward of me and my buusted sight when the it went live (Go figure trust is so low )

Do to the external adjustment system all impacts are transfered immediately upon the elveation dial and the windage screw -- these two points are the features that hold it to the mount...

I'd love to saw the new ones are any better -- but I can't.

I veiw this optic as a 6 month life span -- maybe a lot longer if your in a leg unit that does not shoot.

I fail to understand why they cant adopt an internal adjustment system - like the ACOG. It would add a great deal of impact resistance.

IMHO have played with both -- I went out and spent my own $ on the S&B Short Dot - which I bought before I became a dirty contractor rolling in money.

A buddy of mine pointed out there is a reason why NONE of his six uppers he is issued has any ELCAN product on them... (EOTech's, Aimpoint, ACOG's,Nightforce and S&B)
most any user that has experience with them comes back and says -- great optic -- to bad its wrapped in a crap mount.

That was in relation to a Military usage - For a civilian sight that wont take the same amount of abuse... Well its your ass and your dollars.

Submariner
10-25-06, 19:23
Sold the ones I had (should have listened to KevinB years ago when I asked him). I'm not sure even Mark LaRue could make his magic on a mount.

sparrow
10-29-06, 18:55
I love the Elcan...as a Service Conditions shooter the scope is excellent and very intuitive, the glass is above reproach. Mine goes on deployments such as Op-Starbucks and Op-Gun Holiday and I have yet to have an issue. Ofcourse when when we are asked at work to provide council on optics for professional users who need magnified optics we always go with Kevin's line and tell them to buy Acog or S&B Shortdot, however we have yet to have an actual agency purchase the shortdot based on budget restraints.