PDA

View Full Version : Faxon gunner barrel

tanktop
11-01-17, 21:02
Just wondering what type of groups people are saying out of this barrel once it’s a little warm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AR-n-Ky
11-02-17, 02:11
While not the GUNNER, I have one of their pencil weight barrel on a SBR. It is very accurate, I'm getting groups with it in the 1.5" to 2" @ 100 yards and even hot not much bigger.

I'm interested in what people are getting with their GUNNER, because I have two builds planned and I want to use a 18" in one and 16" in the other.

I'm sorry that I couldn't answer your question, but I did want to relate that I'm very happy with the accuracy of the thinner pencil weight barrel, it's more accurate than my FN pencil weight midlength gas barrel, not by much, but more accurate none the less.

titsonritz
11-02-17, 12:34
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?165508-Ask-Us-Anything-Faxon-Firearms&highlight=faxon

Stickman
11-02-17, 14:28
I’m interested as well....

tanktop
11-02-17, 19:51
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?165508-Ask-Us-Anything-Faxon-Firearms&highlight=faxon

Golly, gee thanks, I wouldn’t have thought to read that! Oh wait a second, I did read that. Since it’s not addressed in that thread perhaps you can tell me your experience with the Gunner barrel and how much you notice it affecting accuracy.

TomMcC
11-03-17, 02:27
I do shoot an 18" gunner, problem is that getting the barrel good and hot and then benching it isn't a scenario I see happening. In 3gun where I shoot it most of the time, the barrel does get hot, but there's no opportunity to bench it.

JC5188
11-03-17, 04:54
Golly, gee thanks, I wouldn’t have thought to read that! Oh wait a second, I did read that. Since it’s not addressed in that thread perhaps you can tell me your experience with the Gunner barrel and how much you notice it affecting accuracy.

I think his point (although a bit ambiguous) was that the question belonged in that thread.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this one ends up merged with it.

AndyLate
11-03-17, 07:36
It depends what you call warm. I've never had my 20" barrel hot enough to see a noticeable change in accuracy or POI shift, but I don't do mag dumps with this rifle, especially from the bench. Cold or hot enough to be uncomfortable to the touch (but not hot enough to burn), it puts 5 shots under 2" inches at 100 meters.

I think the 18" Gunner would make for a great gun, light and a little more compact than my rifle, which I am very happy with.

Andy

tanktop
11-03-17, 07:43
I think his point (although a bit ambiguous) was that the question belonged in that thread.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this one ends up merged with it.

I apologize, long day... the reason I created a new thread is I specifically wanted end user feedback rather than manufacturer. The other reason I ask is I know my skills need improvement so I didn’t want to use my shooting as a benchmark for the barrel. Thanks everyone for replying and to anyone else who would like to!

Mrgunsngear
11-03-17, 08:31
I apologize, long day... the reason I created a new thread is I specifically wanted end user feedback rather than manufacturer. The other reason I ask is I know my skills need improvement so I didn’t want to use my shooting as a benchmark for the barrel. Thanks everyone for replying and to anyone else who would like to!

I have my review filmed for mine on a hard drive somewhere but it needs editing..... so who knows when it'll be posted but, depending on the ammo, I got 1.1-2'' 5 shot groups at 100 yards if I remember correctly

everready73
11-03-17, 10:39
No personal experience, but a few people on TOS have spoken highly of this barrel. Minimal POI change after getting hot due to profile and MOAish accuracy

turnburglar
11-03-17, 11:38
Faxon's Gunner profile is next on my upper build list. It shouldnt experience any more change in impact than a govt barrel. Behind the gas block it maintains the govt profile, and infront of the gas block it uses the pencil profile to reduce unnecessary weight and droop. While I don't have any experience yet with a axon barrel, my issued Colt M4 got super hot and always maintained minute of man MOA with M855. I wouldn't hesitate to use a gunner barrel on a hard use rifle.

MarshallDodge
11-04-17, 13:55
I have had an 18" on one of my AR's for a short time and am very happy with it.

Observations-

- It will get hot pretty quick on 90 degree days but doesn't seem to affect the point of impact much. I sighted it at 100 with 55 FMJ handloads then proceeded to pick off weed stems on the range between 25 and 50 yards while the barrel was hot. Not the most accurate bullet but it seems to shoot well in the 1:8 twist, hovering around 1.5 inches.

- On another day, with handloads using 77 Noslers and 8208, I put a sub 2" group on a 200 yard target, and was able to hit a 10" steel plate at 675 yards 4 out of 5 times in a 7-10 MPH full value wind. I'm pretty certain that the one miss was me making a bad wind call.

- It is a great balance of weight and accuracy. The setup balances very well with a B5 stock.

tanktop
11-04-17, 18:51
I have had an 18" on one of my AR's for a short time and am very happy with it.

Observations-

- It will get hot pretty quick on 90 degree days but doesn't seem to affect the point of impact much. I sighted it at 100 with 55 FMJ handloads then proceeded to pick off weed stems on the range between 25 and 50 yards while the barrel was hot. Not the most accurate bullet but it seems to shoot well in the 1:8 twist, hovering around 1.5 inches.

- On another day, with handloads using 77 Noslers and 8208, I put a sub 2" group on a 200 yard target, and was able to hit a 10" steel plate at 675 yards 4 out of 5 times in a 7-10 MPH full value wind. I'm pretty certain that the one miss was me making a bad wind call.

- It is a great balance of weight and accuracy. The setup balances very well with a B5 stock.

Thanks for that great answer, just what I was looking for. I’ve been getting 2”-4” groups but it’s a combination of me, poor benches and wind (thank you Colorado). I need to find a calmer day and shoot prone supported.

JRHorne
11-05-17, 08:04
Brownells has the 11.5" for $125 and the $10 off plus free shipping coupon works, so I just ordered one for under $115 shipped. Hope to have some reviews in a couple of months, just got to decide on a rail and gas block combo.

BufordTJustice
11-05-17, 11:56
I have my review filmed for mine on a hard drive somewhere but it needs editing..... so who knows when it'll be posted but, depending on the ammo, I got 1.1-2'' 5 shot groups at 100 yards if I remember correctly

Been using my first gen 18” GUNNER for a few years now. Currently serves as my wife’s upper and she LOVES it.

Mine does 100% hits on a reduced IPSC silhouette at 500 with federal xm193 and a Geissele SSA in her gun with wind under 5mph. Grouped about at 3-4” at 200 with the same Ammo. Soft shooter.

BrigandTwoFour
11-05-17, 13:50
I recently finished up a project using an 18" Gunner. Hardest part was finding someone willing to do the drill/pin job on the FSB.

https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/img_1669.jpg

Sadly, I have not had it out to the range yet to do an accuracy evaluation or provide data on your heat question. That said, I can tell you that I love the way this barrel handles. My go-to carbine has a BCM 16" pencil barrel, and the 18" gunner feels a better as far as balance and handling go, so much so that I sometimes question if its actually lighter.

That said, I would suggest that a barrel of this weight/profile is not meant to be precision oriented. That's not to say that it can't produce good groupings, but that is not really it's intent. These make for great walkabout rifles that will be carried often and shot moderately. It will put the first several shots where they need to go. If you're planning on mag dumping, or need to maintain high levels of accuracy over long rapid strings, then a different profile is in order.