PDA

View Full Version : Has Apple Tech 'Jumped The Shark'?

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-02-17, 11:38
My family went all Apple stuff about four years ago after Lenovo lost their mojo and Windows was a mess. For my wife and kids, MAC OS and iPads were so much easier for me to manage for them. What took effort to config in Windows just seemed to happen automatically in the Apple-verse.

I'd have to say that doesn't seem true anymore. Phones and iPads that seem to slow down over time, even when they are wiped clean and brought back. The recent iOS 11 made it so that my hotspot wouldn't function. Lots of websites with all kinds of solutions- including the highly ridiculed Windows solution of re-booting. Ended up I had to clear out all my network setting on the iPad to get it to link. My wife would have never figured it out. New and ever more complex interfaces on the iPads. I was just writing a long, technical email for work on my iPad and the mail app crashed and I lost it all. iPhones that don't want to open. And don't get me started about SIRI. What a complete waste of time. All it seems to want to do is answer math questions and push sales through the itunes function.

That and the X Phone doesn't even work in their demo. My Pro crashed installing the newest OS last night.

Apple always touted their simplicity and reliability due to better tech. I think it was just because it was simpler than windows, or definitely not as flexible. It is becoming more mature and the complexity is starting to kill it. I have a couple of co-workers that have ditched their iPhones for other options and they are thrilled with the changes.

Has Apple lost it mojo?

glocktogo
11-02-17, 11:54
My family went all Apple stuff about four years ago after Lenovo lost their mojo and Windows was a mess. For my wife and kids, MAC OS and iPads were so much easier for me to manage for them. What took effort to config in Windows just seemed to happen automatically in the Apple-verse.

I'd have to say that doesn't seem true anymore. Phones and iPads that seem to slow down over time, even when they are wiped clean and brought back. The recent iOS 11 made it so that my hotspot wouldn't function. Lots of websites with all kinds of solutions- including the highly ridiculed Windows solution of re-booting. Ended up I had to clear out all my network setting on the iPad to get it to link. My wife would have never figured it out. New and ever more complex interfaces on the iPads. I was just writing a long, technical email for work on my iPad and the mail app crashed and I lost it all. iPhones that don't want to open. And don't get me started about SIRI. What a complete waste of time. All it seems to want to do is answer math questions and push sales through the itunes function.

That and the X Phone doesn't even work in their demo. My Pro crashed installing the newest OS last night.

Apple always touted their simplicity and reliability due to better tech. I think it was just because it was simpler than windows, or definitely not as flexible. It is becoming more mature and the complexity is starting to kill it. I have a couple of co-workers that have ditched their iPhones for other options and they are thrilled with the changes.

Has Apple lost it mojo?

It happens to pretty much every business & organization. Employees have to justify their continued salary, so they develop increasingly complex widgets to prove they're still relevant. If you have the world's simplest and user friendly product, where do you go from there?

BoringGuy45
11-02-17, 12:14
I'll probably never go back to using PC, as the Mac operating system is much easier and, obviously, less prone to hacking and viruses. However, as for their mobile stuff, they unfortunately are doing the exact opposite of what Steve Jobs did to make the company so successful. They are no long innovative and they are making things overly complicated. Apple under Jobs was making new technology before anyone knew they needed or wanted it. Unfortunately, Apple now seems to be run by a bunch of guys who simply watch the market and try to catch the wave.

Co-gnARR
11-02-17, 12:48
Tim Cook IMO is the worst thing for Apple following Steve Jobs's passing. Apple is now Crapple IMO...still better than windows but the margin is closing. As Botingguy45 says, the innovation that Jobs brought to market has been lost. Cook OTH is about chasing the almighty dollar and running the company on the laurels created by Steve Jobs. Planned obsolenscence on $2500 computers is just burning me up. Perfectly good hardware at home is turned to junk overnight with software patches and upgrades....finding repair parts for computers >5 years old is tough, potentially expensive or just not possible. Even the computers themselves become paperweights after a few upgrade cycles to the OS...the software is not compatable with the hardware, and the firmware support dies off after a few revs. Apple seems more like Microsoft these days.

TAZ
11-02-17, 13:37
This is nothing new, you just haven’t been around Apple long enough to experience it. The newer versions of the OS are optimized for the newer devices. After a few cycles the legacy devices will not work with the new OS. If your device is the lowest common denominator on the supported list, you’re going to be hit or miss. It sux, I agree. However, Apple is in the business of making $$ and folks not buying new stuff doesn’t make them $$ since the OS updates are generally all free.

I have some very old laptops (2010 ish) that are still 100% functional. Don’t know which OS they are on though. I stopped updating them when when they got to the bottom of the list. Same for my iPad. I still have 2 original minis running strong. Over the years I have wiped them and started fresh. My laptops I pushed them on an update and the turned into DOGS.

I do agree that Timmy is nothing special when it comes to innovative ideas. Jobs was a unique individual who is probably never going to be replaced. His luck or drive (not sure which really) was incredible. Not a lot of those folks being cultivated in the current feel good, PC, safe space of a world we live in.

Watrdawg
11-02-17, 13:41
Since the new ios 11 updates I cant even open up my ipad. I haven't been able to figure it out so far.

ggammell
11-02-17, 14:30
There a desire from customers to upgrade phone service every 18-36 months. Apple indulges. Phones are only designed to last about that long. iPads go longer. Mac computers even more than that.

And we have to realize that Steve Jobs was a once in a generation innovator. Anyone after him cannot fill his shoes. They bring their own pair.

Arik
11-02-17, 14:33
I still use iPhone 4 as my work phone. Don't upgrade the IOS and it works fine but I only use it as a phone/txt. It's still on 3G. My sister got me a Ipad about 6 years ago. I don't upgrade that either although I rarely use it. I just prefer Android

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-02-17, 14:46
Since the new ios 11 updates I cant even open up my ipad. I haven't been able to figure it out so far.

My wife can get hers open, but it often takes a bit, or a couple presses of the power button.

2010ish MBP barely serves as a web browser. I have kept the IOS up to date, and maybe that is the problem.

I agree on the $2500 paper weights. My 2013 MBP is starting to get a little persnickety. I agree that Apple is in this to make money, but that should not be by hobbling older models. I take my car in for service and they maintain it, they don’t take a hammer to it to make it drive worse so I buy a new model. The new computers should have new features to compel me to want to buy it.

Jobs was great about inventing new tech and then making is dissappear. Toddlers could use iPads. I’d hate to give mine to one now- you can jack stuff up pretty good now with all the multitasking and such.

Bulletdog
11-02-17, 14:48
I've been complaining about this for years. Apple has been getting more and more PC-like, and PC has been getting more and more Apple-like. I switched to apple about 15 years ago, but I'm getting sick and tired of the hassles and personal intrusions. Hey Apple: I don't want your stupid updates. Everything is working perfectly as is. Stop asking me every day and not giving me a method of saying "No thank you." And while we are at it, how about you make a product that still works 2 or 3 years down the road. I like my current iPad and don't want to have to buy a new one every other year.

SteyrAUG
11-02-17, 15:35
A few times now. But you have to remember Apple isn't really Apple, in the beginning they mined a lot of new tech from places like Xerox. And so did everyone else. I remember times when Apple was a running joke and I can remember other times when you couldn't give a PC away for free.

Now the two tech giants basically purchase the next techno marvel or concept and the engineers who can produce it. But no matter what, Apple will always have a cult following who will purchase whatever they release regardless of how useful it is or isn't.

Honu
11-02-17, 16:55
agree with others when steve died apple died

I worked on mainframes :) then got a PC then a apple ][e then a mac 128 then a 512 then a PC then a few others along the way back and forth
when OS X came out I jumped back in full into the macs
we still have 3 mac pros here in the studio though and not sure I will replace all of them ?
I might get a macbook pro for the apple things we do ?

last month built up a nice new PC :) 7820x cpu 32gigs and a 1080 card great for my work and some play

reality is I love the OS more on the apple side but if you had been with them in the early days they were much better OS X these days is buggy and has its own issues the hardware is the same and is so locked down for pros that need to keep up etc.. the iMac is a great appliance and computers these days are so powerful nobody needs more that is a daily home user
those that need more power know what they need and used to be able to get it with apple but no more ?

look at the profits they make :) they make great stuff but its $$$$$ for what you get big time I have had 3 iphones since htey came out cause I tend to use them till they die as they do the job no plans on buying one soon either

as far as the OS goes ? again its not what it used to be but I mostly live inside programs these days and am getting away from OS centric software with things like google I can check on any device
adobe is the same way in some respects once inside its about the same

win 10 has been OK some getting used to things again and I do miss apple things for sure but the power I get now is so much more
comparing the latest iMac in the apps I am over 4x as fast

apple has no reason to pander to the old pro base that kept them alive and in my industry of design and photography many are leaving apple and of course many are joining
its a great system but again if you are new to apple in the last few years of comptuers you missed the really good days of true rock solid systems :)

also with a PC most are made with cheap power supplies and cheap parts as to why they are not good :) build a solid PC and its going to be rock solid

Hmac
11-02-17, 17:02
A few times now. But you have to remember Apple isn't really Apple, in the beginning they mined a lot of new tech from places like Xerox. And so did everyone else. I remember times when Apple was a running joke and I can remember other times when you couldn't give a PC away for free.

Now the two tech giants basically purchase the next techno marvel or concept and the engineers who can produce it. But no matter what, Apple will always have a cult following who will purchase whatever they release regardless of how useful it is or isn't.:rolleyes: They have 35% of the US cellphone market. That's quite a cult.

But yeah, Apple is losing its mojo a little as mandatory computer features, new products, and software capabilities get increasingly sophisticated. Fortunately for them, the whole Windows side is faring even worse.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-02-17, 17:24
I'll probably never go back to using PC, as the Mac operating system is much easier and, obviously, less prone to hacking and viruses. However, as for their mobile stuff, they unfortunately are doing the exact opposite of what Steve Jobs did to make the company so successful. They are no long innovative and they are making things overly complicated. Apple under Jobs was making new technology before anyone knew they needed or wanted it. Unfortunately, Apple now seems to be run by a bunch of guys who simply watch the market and try to catch the wave.

I feel the same way. We only use Macbooks Pros. But for phones, we steer clear of Iphones.

SteyrAUG
11-02-17, 18:01
:rolleyes: They have 35% of the US cellphone market. That's quite a cult.

But yeah, Apple is losing its mojo a little as mandatory computer features, new products, and software capabilities get increasingly sophisticated. Fortunately for them, the whole Windows side is faring even worse.

I meant "apple anything" like apple watches. If Sony made a similar product nobody would buy it.

BoringGuy45
11-02-17, 18:30
I feel the same way. We only use Macbooks Pros. But for phones, we steer clear of Iphones.

The only reasons I'm sticking with my iPhone is that I have 13 years of data and a few thousand dollars worth of music saved on Apple products, and I highly doubt that they would transfer over to a rival system's phone. Even if it could, I don't possess the technical know how to do it.

But I agree, that iPhone ranks near the bottom in terms of quality, innovation, and user friendliness compared to the others.

themonk
11-02-17, 19:51
Full disclosure I am agnostic and own both windows and Mac. I left the iphone long ago.

I think they lost it a few years back. The internal philosophy that they will make decisions on your behalf so you don't need to has been taken to the next level. There is now a level of arrogance that I can no longer buy into. The Macbook Pro with two USB C ports and one being used for power is an example. The inmates are running the asylum and on the plus side for apple's bottom line, you have to buy $200 worth of extra dongles and peripherals to get you laptop to do the same thing as past designs.

The iphone and ipad are no longer an intuitive device that you can give to an older person and have them figure it out. I think the argument that you can give it to a child is BS. You can give any technology to a child and they will figure it out very quickly. The older versions of iOS you could give to an 80 year old and they could figure it out. The systems are now very complex and the foundation no longer supports that level of complexity. Android is now the leader in innovation and all the "new" features that apple creates are recycled tech from android phones. I now get to hear how awesome wireless charging is even though I have had it for 3 years. Most people I talk too are locked in to iMessage which means in my eyes it's the new Blackberry messenger. If that's all you got we are getting to the end of the road.

What really amazes me is how many people don't see it. I can see it from crazy left wingers that love apple but I am amazed by free thinkers arguments as to why you should own apple devices. Maybe they are so busy they have not had time to take a look around at the landscape.

Interesting fact brought up to me by someone in the industry - if you look at all the behemoths in mobile (motorola, blackberry, ericsson, etc) in the last 20-30 years, the downward bell curve for those companies happen when they acquire a ton of profits and build themselves a new world HQ. Guess who is moving into the newest most awesome HQ ever?

M4Fundi
11-02-17, 21:51
Apple SUX! I am in Apple Hell right now. They created 2 clouds for me and have never been able to fix it. I have not had a professionally operable computer for years. Their CS is phony smiles and lies. I am going to buy a new computer in the next 2 weeks and am stuck with do I go PC and start all over learning how to run these things and spend forever getting it all transferred properly or stay with Apple Sux and start from scratch there and have to keep the old computer as an archive computer since Apple can't transfer my old computer onto a new one without dragging the problems with it... 12 years of info I can't transfer unless I do it all manually! Apple is now just a toy for trophy wives and kids... it is not a dependable professional device!

Honu
11-02-17, 23:41
I like the new ios on the ipad :) picked up a new pro the thing is freaking awesome :)
procreate for drawing not my thing but wife and kid are artists wife is a full time graphic designer and the thing is a awesome sketch pad and I do a lot of basic gsuite work and other consumption on the thing

if anything I keep hearing the apple phones are still better but I have to pick up and try a android phone sometime I reckon :) just so I know first hand

the cloud thing is so messed up so I feel for ya m4fundi its pathetic I have gotten mostly out of it except for our backups ? and jsut use the gsuite stuff

I love tech first apple pc I do not care I just love tech but I do find it funny either side cant give the other the kudos it deserves ? both have pros and cons and both are better than the other at certain things

with apple IMHO on a downward and MS on a upward with recent designer type thinking it is going to be interesting to see where things are in 5 then 10 years ;)

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-03-17, 02:20
I have a 12.9 ipad Pro with the pencil and the new iOS is really interesting. Snap pics, and mark up pics and documents with the pencil is awesome. My iPhone 6 won't show the latest comments in iMessenger for some reason, but only in vertical mode- not horizontal.

And only Apple could make a woman with an Aussie accent sound not sexy.

skywalkrNCSU
11-03-17, 11:44
iOS 11 was awful but with the 11.1 update it is running much smoother on my 6+. I actually bought a Samsung phone because the earlier version of iOS 11 was so bad my phone was barely usable but ended up returning it because I realized how much I like the apple ecosystem and 11.1 fixed my major gripes.

turnburglar
11-03-17, 11:53
I jumped to apple back in 2015 when I got a MacBook Air (still relevant and awesome) and I decided to ditch android because I hated the support for software. Idk if things have changed drastically in the android market since then, but as much as you guys are complaining software for your device slows it down after 3 years... consider yourself lucky. Back in the android days you counted yourself lucky if a software update came to your device. Often times I would have an 8 month old Flagship device and a new android OS would come out only to find out I wouldn't be getting it. Or to get it MONTHS after the initial release when the manufacture decided to finally release it. Thanks now hackers have had months to work on a solution. I liked how my iPhone 6 got all the updates as a 3 year old phone that the newest iPhones got.

I definitely understand how the iPads and phones being simple made it the sweet spot for women and children. Some of us are pro users though and want better capabilities like multi tasking. Personally I think IOS 9 was the most stable platform I have used and see 11 as being an improvement over 10, but it still is full of bugs that need working out.

I just bought an 8+ even though the X just came out. I honestly wasn't going to get a phone this cycle and recently had new parts put into my 6, but my wife 's 6 was having all kinds of bugs and she uses it for work so I said F it, lets go get new phones. The biggest reason I got the 8+ over the X was face versus thumb print and a longer battery life. Other than form factor the phones have identical hardware.

Djstorm100
11-03-17, 13:25
I'm 29 and growing up I couldn't get a laptop to last more than 2 year due to the charging port. Apples magsafe power connection and using intel processor with bootcamp I made the switch in 2007. In 2008 I got a macbook pro for school (mech designer) and it just finally died. The HD went out and the glue that hold the screen to the back had started to fail. I need a power computer to run the program that I use. It's hard to justify a $2,599 computer (Student discount). What I hate about apple is not full number pad. Putting in dimension using the top row is a PITA..really.

I can get a 15" P51 that's pretty ballsy, more so tha the macbook pro for 1,700 (friend of mine works there). Combine that with Apple going to the USB 3.2 thunderbolt hook up for everything...just matter of time for apple to remove it's head out of it's ass.

Hmac
11-04-17, 10:08
Combine that with Apple going to the USB 3.2 thunderbolt hook up for everything...just matter of time for apple to remove it's head out of it's ass.

$20 will buy one of many USB number pads for engineering and accounting types.

I agree that their whole new port paradigm is stupid. I needed a new computer and was waiting for the new MacBook Pros, but as soon as I saw the port concept, I immediately bought a previous-generation top-of-the-line MacBook Pro refurb. A huge part of my laptop needs is presentations hooking up to all different types of display devices and I had no desire to carry around a pocketful of dongles to get that feat accomplished.

That MacBook replaced my early-2011 MacBook Pro. It was working fine but I wanted a 13 inch and faster so I upgraded and gave the old one to my 3 year-old granddaughter. She can navigate that thing like a pro and it’s stood to everything from dropping to peanut butter and jelly.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-29-17, 09:42
How in the hell do you take something that basic and break it? The conspiracy side makes me think that they did this to open a door for a bit, or were screwing with the basic security for a back donor and screwed up the implementation.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/29/apple-rushes-to-resolve-huge-password-glitch-on-macos-high-sierra.html

That and whenever I update my iOS on iPad/iphone I need to tweak my hot spot settings.

Co-gnARR
11-29-17, 11:01
How in the hell do you take something that basic and break it? The conspiracy side makes me think that they did this to open a door for a bit, or were screwing with the basic security for a back donor and screwed up the implementation.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/29/apple-rushes-to-resolve-huge-password-glitch-on-macos-high-sierra.html

That and whenever I update my iOS on iPad/iphone I need to tweak my hot spot settings.

This is exactly why I never update anything on any platform until I know flaws like this don't exist.