PDA

View Full Version : This is an interesting handguard...

dlraymond30
11-03-17, 09:58
https://www.hardenedarms.com/ecProduct_684_83-Lumashark%20TM%20Accessories-LumaSharkTM%20Illuminated%20Hand%20Guard

What do you guys think? The price is not what I have any interest in discussing just the concept and this specific handguard. I think it's an interesting idea and will reserve judgement until a good hard use test(s) have been documented. It is capable of having not only a white light but an IR laser/illuminator... Wonder if there is a way to link both together so they both activate with one button..

Anyway, whatcha think guys, hit or miss?

-Darrin

RVTMaverick
11-03-17, 10:09
Yeah, this has been on here before/around.... does nothing for (me) especially considering it's price for T-6061 Aluminum ...

Peace Jeff

Duffy
11-03-17, 10:15
I think it's a step backward, it sacrificed the modular feature/quality of the AR by fixing accessories in place that can be, and should be moveable and removable to the user's preference.

militarymoron
11-03-17, 10:22
Miss. It'd make more sense to me to have the lights at the 10:30 and 1:30 positions.

drdremel
11-03-17, 10:24
The handgards put the lights on the areas you are most likely to grab. It would be better to have put the light in a better position. Second, now when the light needs to be replaced,you have to buy the entire vanguard as well. And third, the quality of the light is unknown. And all this in 6061. There are no positives to this setup

26 Inf
11-03-17, 10:29
From the looks of the picture I can not imagine that it would work for me.

Despite their assertion that there is no need to change your shooting grip, I doubt my hands are big enough to grip around the lights and rail.

I found no info on the switches, so I ass-u-me tail caps. That means on the 12" rail you linked to, you'll have 6 or 7 inches at the wrong end of the rail available for shooting grip.

Of course, this is just my take judging from the pictures. May be an entirely different animal in person.

On another front, my preference is for the light on free float rails to be mounted at 1 o'clock, activated by my thumb in conjunction with a vfg, so this rail wouldn't fit my preferences from the start.

JMO,

user
11-03-17, 10:35
Pass....

dlraymond30
11-03-17, 11:15
I also prefer my lights at the 12oclock position or at the 1oclock (lefty shooter here) with tail cap, angled button (wmlx), or toggle lever (tlr1hl).
I think the concept is a nice idea if the light was actually integral and didn't add that much rail bulk or take up so much space and changed the position of the light... Basically change everything lol... My question is now what do you guys think of the concept?

-Darrin

titsonritz
11-03-17, 11:25
:suicide:

That is all.

Circle_10
11-03-17, 11:44
Anytime something is alleged to be the "ultimate tactical" anything, I get suspicious.

RobertTheTexan
11-03-17, 11:47
Looks like another attempt to provide a solution to a problem that doesn’t even exist in the first place.
1. What if the light breaks?
2. What if you want to take advantage of new tech in LED’s or batteries?
3. What if you want to run a different light? IR for example?
4. The lights are in the wrong place.

One of the most significant tactical benefits of the AR platform is its modularity. This is anti-modular. I’d consider this a definite step backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thespyhunter
11-03-17, 12:11
Anytime something is alleged to be the "ultimate tactical" anything, I get suspicious.

^^^^ this

26 Inf
11-03-17, 12:18
One of the most significant tactical benefits of the AR platform is its modularity. This is anti-modular. I’d consider this a definite step backwards.

BINGO!

jackblack73
11-03-17, 13:25
It doesn't look significantly lower profile than when using a good mount, so no real benefit there. Meanwhile, you lose the ability to move the light to other locations. I also wonder if it can be upgraded when newer technology comes out. I really don't see any benefit to it.

CRAMBONE
11-03-17, 15:58

One of the first things I saw. I’ll pass even if it gives my rifle more death power.

Mr. Goodtimes
11-03-17, 18:33
https://www.hardenedarms.com/ecProduct_684_83-Lumashark%20TM%20Accessories-LumaSharkTM%20Illuminated%20Hand%20Guard

What do you guys think? The price is not what I have any interest in discussing just the concept and this specific handguard. I think it's an interesting idea and will reserve judgement until a good hard use test(s) have been documented. It is capable of having not only a white light but an IR laser/illuminator... Wonder if there is a way to link both together so they both activate with one button..

Anyway, whatcha think guys, hit or miss?

-Darrin

It’s not an interesting hand guard, it’s a stupid hand guard.

CRX85
11-03-17, 18:52
That entire description reminds me of a dialogue you would hear on a "as seen on t.v." infomercial.

JRHorne
11-04-17, 15:40
Miss. It'd make more sense to me to have the lights at the 10:30 and 1:30 positions.

( . )( . )

ACE31
11-04-17, 16:25
Whether you like the lighted handguard design or not, Hardened Arms produces some nice assembled uppers. IMHO a step above the regular joe PSA crowd.

RobertTheTexan
11-04-17, 17:12
( . )( . )

That's some great text skills man!

But I'm still trying to figure out if I can "weaponize" any of my handguards at home. I'm thinking that whacking someone upside the head with one of my LaRue rails would qualify as "weaponized".

11-04-17, 17:45
Not just to dogpile, its an interesting idea. Terrible execution. I would be interested in lights built into the end of a handguard with a pressure switch built in. But this thing is all con and no pro.

Iraqgunz
11-04-17, 17:47
Brought to you by the guys with Jenna Jameson gas ports and barrel extensions that come loose.

RobertTheTexan
11-04-17, 20:33
Brought to you by the guys with Jenna Jameson gas ports and barrel extensions that come loose.

IG, I can’t believe you would dis Jenna J. so harshly! :jester:

MistWolf
11-04-17, 21:22
Potentially a good idea. Poor execution.

mig1nc
11-05-17, 05:37
A handguard with a built-in DBAL-A4, with emission ports top and as close to centerline as possible, and ergonomic ambidextrous switching with a common battery source would be like the holy grail.

This is... Not so much.

Duffy
11-05-17, 07:04
It's a derivative of Surefire's MP5 and AR flashlight handguards from way back then. It's as though they built an AR around the flashlights, the AR being the afterthought. If you need that much illumination, it can probably be better handled by stand alone flashlights. The space these two lights occupy can't accept any accessories that the user might wish to mount.

A component with another function permanently fixed can be a good idea, the concept is hardly new. Some work very well, some shouldn't leave the paper stage. TA31ECOS's built in offset iron sights work very well, and use the space already there. Storage in pistol grips and stocks also combine functions without creating problems or take anything away from the host onto which another job was bestowed. PEQ4 and similar vis/IR laser aimer is another such example of good execution.