PDA

View Full Version : On cheap handguns...

Slater
11-03-17, 15:31
I was browsing CDNN's site today. The Remington RP9 (yeah, I know) is $289.73 shipped with a $100 rebate from Remington. So minus the transfer fee that's $189.73. I'm surprised that Remington makes much profit on this particular gun - or do they?

26 Inf
11-03-17, 16:45
I don't know, but I just read a review that leads me to believe I need to sell all my Glocks :no: https://www.range365.com/remington-rp9-gun-review

Seriously speaking, Remington has a lot of firearms manufacturing experience. I've also been told that Remington puts pretty much all the waste produced by their manufacturing process to use in making other products. I think many of us would be surprised at how little money there is in the raw materials that comprise our firearms. Machinery, tool and die parts are something else, and the cost has include how much those costs are.

I wouldn't think they are losing money at 189.73. They probably just want to get the gun out there for the casual shooter. What is going to hurt them in that endeavor is the lack of holsters, etc.

Slater
11-03-17, 17:06
Take away CDNN's shipping charge and it's actually around $169.

And I've heard all the usual remarks, from "Outstanding new gun from Remington" to "it's a sputum-filled piece of distended rectum".

26 Inf
11-03-17, 19:21
Take away CDNN's shipping charge and it's actually around $169.

And I've heard all the usual remarks, from "Outstanding new gun from Remington" to "it's a sputum-filled piece of distended rectum".

Somewhere in between?

Grip angle doesn’t look the same as the Glock – plus or minus I don’t know. I shoot 1911, M&P and Glock without much fuss.

They say smaller grip circumference then Glock. This is probably accomplished by a single thickness metal mag versus the Glock’s liner/polymer cover construction.

Looks like finger cut-outs to help ease getting shooter’s finger onto the trigger – probably made possible by the shape of the mag – it funnels into a single stack.

Cocking striations front and rear on the slide.

Ambi slide control – meh, I’m a leftie and have always gotten by without them.

Oh! Ooooohh! “Fighting surface” on rear sight – for one-hand slide operation.

But dang it just looks fugly. Plus everyone would call you a ‘hi-point harry.’

I’d like to shoot one to see if it is any good, though.

Zirk208
11-03-17, 21:53
I was browsing CDNN's site today. The Remington RP9 (yeah, I know) is $289.73 shipped with a $100 rebate from Remington. So minus the transfer fee that's $189.73. I'm surprised that Remington makes much profit on this particular gun - or do they?

For some products, CDNN is the end of the line, where merchandise that doesn't get moves, goes to be liquidated. I'd say remington is done with profits on those models.

ramairthree
11-03-17, 22:39
It is a 45 sized platform in 9mm released with reliability and quality issues.

It is not long for this world.

On the other hand, sometimes a company will release a gun at great price points.

Look at the price of say, a CZ all metal, hell, all steel gun,
Feature for feature such as night sights, suppressor height sights, threaded barrel, etc. compared to Beretta, SIG, HK.

Or the price to what you get in a full sized game gun by Canik vs the other polymer offerings from the big companies.

There are some “cheap” guns at a great price point compared to competitors.

But fire sale guns I would avoid in general.

Dienekes
11-03-17, 22:56
Just what the world needs--another UGLY pistol.

Slater
11-04-17, 08:40
Possibly Remington intends (or intended) to build a .45 version on the same chassis?

ralph
11-04-17, 10:59
For some products, CDNN is the end of the line, where merchandise that doesn't get moves, goes to be liquidated. I'd say remington is done with profits on those models.

Yup, I agree looking through a CDNN catalog, you see the oddballs, the weirdo's, the stuff that just did'nt click with as many people as they thought..As a example, CDNN had/has Browning take down .22 semi autos, wonderful little rifles..except these are are chambered in .22 short..Who the hell has .22 short in stock? hell, just getting .22 long rifle can be a chore from time to time, but .22 short? Yup, that's why CDNN has'em.. end of the road for some unwanted rifles, pistols.....

Slater
11-04-17, 11:09
I believe the Walther PPX went there to die...

rathos
11-04-17, 21:11
CDNN is a clearing house for things that don't sell. Every great once and a while you will see a decent gun in there (they had springfield Long beach operators not that long ago) but most of their stuff is the red headed step children of the industry.

GNXII
11-04-17, 23:57
It bears repeating that CDNN is the proverbial "grave yard" for a lot failed designs/ models here in the US. That being said if you decide to move forward on a buy at a great price, remember that spare parts, aftermarket sights and even mags might become difficult or impossible to find if Remington dumps the RP9. Given the varied reviews of it and other fiascos such as the R51 its a strong posiability. Something to ponder if its your EDC/HD gun, maybe if its role is a fun range toy not so much! Choose wisely!!!

AKDoug
11-05-17, 01:00
Yup, I agree looking through a CDNN catalog, you see the oddballs, the weirdo's, the stuff that just did'nt click with as many people as they thought..As a example, CDNN had/has Browning take down .22 semi autos, wonderful little rifles..except these are are chambered in .22 short..Who the hell has .22 short in stock? hell, just getting .22 long rifle can be a chore from time to time, but .22 short? Yup, that's why CDNN has'em.. end of the road for some unwanted rifles, pistols..... Shouldn't take too much to ream it to .22LR, right?

***nevermind.. not available any more...

Kain
11-05-17, 09:10
It bears repeating that CDNN is the proverbial "grave yard" for a lot failed designs/ models here in the US. That being said if you decide to move forward on a buy at a great price, remember that spare parts, aftermarket sights and even mags might become difficult or impossible to find if Remington dumps the RP9. Given the varied reviews of it and other fiascos such as the R51 its a strong posiability. Something to ponder if its your EDC/HD gun, maybe if its role is a fun range toy not so much! Choose wisely!!!

This is a fair point. While I have dealt with CDNN for years, and bought several guns, lots of mags, especially glock mags, and all kinds of other stuff, they are a bottom feeder. Company going out of business, guess who often buys up every piece of remaining inventory? CDNN. Company dumps a design, dumps parts? CDNN buys them. Now this can mean that if you are looking for something cheap you can find it at CDNN, but it can also mean that it can hit or miss as to what they have, as well as the quality. CDNN is definitely one of those places where if their is doubt, you may not want to buy the item just to save a few bucks.

As far as the RP9 goes, I'll pass. I'd sooner, even though I hate .40, buy the $150 S&W shield in .40 that a friend bought, then buy something from Remington in their current state.

m4brian
11-05-17, 18:08
Some guns that i HAVE seen over the years at CDNN: Walther P99s, HK 2000s, and HK Compacts and some SIGs all at GREAT prices NIB.

Slater
11-06-17, 08:04
From Remington's website regarding the RP9:

"The slide stop of the Remington RP pistol WAS NOT designed for the primary purpose of manually releasing the slide into a closed position. However, the left side slide stop lever can be used as a “slide release” for shooters who choose to operate the slide in this manner. The right side stop lever will not easily release the slide and should not be used in this manner."

Seems a lot of folks take serious exception to this feature, calling it a design defect. Could be, I suppose, and Remington released this note after the fact, or they're right and it was designed this way from the start.

Big A
11-06-17, 10:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUeNP51XTeg

Big A
11-06-17, 10:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq5G_YkYD_4&t=5s

Big A
11-06-17, 10:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7uxjAz7UAA

Kain
11-06-17, 12:44
From Remington's website regarding the RP9:

"The slide stop of the Remington RP pistol WAS NOT designed for the primary purpose of manually releasing the slide into a closed position. However, the left side slide stop lever can be used as a “slide release” for shooters who choose to operate the slide in this manner. The right side stop lever will not easily release the slide and should not be used in this manner."

Seems a lot of folks take serious exception to this feature, calling it a design defect. Could be, I suppose, and Remington released this note after the fact, or they're right and it was designed this way from the start.

If designed solely as a slide stop, then the designers have issues in my opinion. If designed as a release, tgen the design has issues. Either way, I think it is less than satisfactory since even if you don't use it options are nice.

On note of slide "stops" if it is reachable with thumb then it damn well better work as a release. The only gun that I will personally aknowledge as having a slide stop is an H&K P7 series since it really does and there ain't no way to use it to release the slide. Of course the squeeze cocker releases it just fine. Different discussion I know.