PDA

View Full Version : Mag Questions

556Diesel
11-03-17, 19:23
Had some additional questions from a previous thread:

1. Why do so many of you like Lancer mags so much? I mainly use Magpul.

2. What’s the use case/application for 20rd mags?

Thanks,
D

mack7.62
11-03-17, 19:32
Can't answer about Lancer, I like Magpul because they are combat proven and tested. Twenty round mags are good for bench shooting and low prone where a longer mag may keep you out of position. I also like them on a war belt because they don't stick up above the belt and hit a plate carrier and for special loads.

11-03-17, 20:00
I've never used a Lancer. Lots of Pmags and every g.i. mag ever made.

I use 20s for shooting from a bench or bipod. Other than that, an Okay 30.

Krazykarl
11-03-17, 20:05
I actually prefer 20 round straight usgi aluminum. Classic look, low profile for bench shooting, 20 rounds to a box of ammo...

friendlyfireisnt
11-03-17, 20:17
1.Lancer's are a well designed magazine. Durable, reliable. But expensive. Right now, I only keep a few for .300blk to be different than my primary magazines (PMAGS and USGI)

2. 20's are good for prone, bench use, etc. I keep my accurate handloads in 20rnd mags. Everything else goes in 30rnd mags.

Warp
11-03-17, 21:21

1. Why do so many of you like Lancer mags so much? I mainly use Magpul. Of course Magpul PMAGs are great, they are the standard. The older 20's, with the straight wall, sometimes hung up feeding one of the final rounds, but other than that, nothing but excellence reported on PMAGs pretty much everywhere all the time

Thanks,
D

1. Lancers get good reviews pretty much anywhere you look, and the limited use I have with mine has been good*. That metal up top really makes them seem tough.

2. With one of my optics up top, I can only fit a 20 round magazine in my rifles when stored inside my quick access rifle safe. Pretty narrow answer, but that's one of my big reasons for 20 round mags. Also on the occasion I want to shoot an AR with only a sling for support and nothing else, where a 30 round inevitably end up acting as a monopod or otherwise getting in the way

*Minor exception, my 30 round translucent/clear Lancer L5 AWM mags (bought several years ago) will often not drop free if there are 2-3 rounds in the mag and the muzzle is tilted up about 45*. That is just enough inside the mag to create a bulge apparently, but not enough weight to force it to drop free.

Iraqgunz
11-03-17, 23:23
I haven't seen lots of people extolling virtues of the Lancer mag. With that said they do work. I have some only because they were being given away at ridiculous prices and because President for Life DJT told me to diversify. This is why I have quality aluminum mags, and a few others.

Personally I like using certain mags for range, etc.. while maintaining a large supply for TEOTWAWKI.

Wake27
11-03-17, 23:45
I used Lancers briefly and they were good, but didn't drop free in my Noveske lower. GI mags and Gen M3 PMAGs are the only mags that do, so I am slowly building up a stupid stockpile of the M3s. I love those mags.

AR-n-Ky
11-04-17, 02:09
I like Lancer L5 AWM magazines because they fall free from all of my AR 15's, even my notoriously picky slightly out of spec lower.

They have been 100% is feeding and locking the bolt back.

I like that I can see the load in them, I like how they feel, they have a good grip.

They are my preferred magazines, but I have less of them then anything else except for the Daniel Defense magazines.

I have less of them because they cost more and rarely go on sale. If I could pick up some for a good price I would buy more.

As for 20 round magazines, they are great for bench shooting, as they don't get in the way.

They are great for NRA National Match Service Rifle shooting for the same reason, as the magazine can not touch anything, like the ground.

You can use it as a palm rest in off hand, but in prone, it better not touch anything!

My favorite in order are Lancer L5 AWM magazines in 1st place. U.S.G.I. and MagPul in 2nd place. Daniel Defense magazines in 3rd place, Hexmag magazines in 4th.

I have Troy BattleMag and I have broke them. They have a lifetime warranty and they have replaced them with no questions asked. But I have broke them.

As for the HexMags so far I have had good luck with them. I have acouple of 1st Gen and a few of the 2nd Gen magazines and I have never had a problem with them. Also, on sale you can pick them up at $5.99 or so.

I also have some 2nd Amend2 magazines and so far they have worked fine. I got 10 for $2.00 each when a gun shop went out of business. So far they have worked fine. They just feel kind of cheap.

But yeah, Lancer L5 AWM magazines are my favorite.

batman4706
11-04-17, 08:58
I like Lancers because they work well with the 300 Blackout & 458 Socom. I had a case head rupture on my 300BO & it blew the magazine out and all the internals went flying. We gathered them all up and put them back in the magazine and I'm still using it. I use the 20's for bench shooting and the 30's for pig hunting.

556Diesel
11-04-17, 15:12
No one is using 10rd mags?

I like the way they look and they don’t get in the way shooting bench/prone.

Is the argument for using 20rd mags that you get more cartridges in and still can go bench/prone?

I like the 10rd for accuracy target shooting and the 30rd for shooting while standing and for hd scenarios.

Warp
11-04-17, 16:32
No one is using 10rd mags?

I like the way they look and they don’t get in the way shooting bench/prone.

Is the argument for using 20rd mags that you get more cartridges in and still can go bench/prone?

I like the 10rd for accuracy target shooting and the 30rd for shooting while standing and for hd scenarios.

My reason for 20 round mags and not 10 is that I have yet to encounter a situation where a 20 round mag interfered, so why cut capacity in half with a mag you can barely grab onto? The 30's stick down farther than the pistol grip, the 20's do not, based on that it seems to me that it will be hard to find a scenario where the 30 is too long, the 20 is too long, and the 10 is not.

bamashooter
11-04-17, 19:38

1. Why do so many of you like Lancer mags so much? I mainly use Magpul.

Thanks,
D

Because they're good?

w3453l
11-06-17, 17:40
1. Lancers get good reviews pretty much anywhere you look, and the limited use I have with mine has been good*. That metal up top really makes them seem tough.

2. With one of my optics up top, I can only fit a 20 round magazine in my rifles when stored inside my quick access rifle safe. Pretty narrow answer, but that's one of my big reasons for 20 round mags. Also on the occasion I want to shoot an AR with only a sling for support and nothing else, where a 30 round inevitably end up acting as a monopod or otherwise getting in the way

*Minor exception, my 30 round translucent/clear Lancer L5 AWM mags (bought several years ago) will often not drop free if there are 2-3 rounds in the mag and the muzzle is tilted up about 45*. That is just enough inside the mag to create a bulge apparently, but not enough weight to force it to drop free.

I've noticed that a couple of my smoke/translucent L5 AWM mags have a similar problem. Regardless of how the muzzle is tilted, when there are < ~10 rounds in the mag, it will not drop free. They drop fine empty, or loaded > ~10 rounds. I'm assuming it's just that there is enough rounds in the mag to create a small bulge up top, but too few rounds to have enough weight pulling down to overcome that tension in the mag well.

They work fine in every other case, so I don't let it bother me. I bought mine around May of 2013 for what it's worth.

5.56 Bonded SP
11-06-17, 20:45
I've noticed that a couple of my smoke/translucent L5 AWM mags have a similar problem. Regardless of how the muzzle is tilted, when there are < ~10 rounds in the mag, it will not drop free. They drop fine empty, or loaded > ~10 rounds. I'm assuming it's just that there is enough rounds in the mag to create a small bulge up top, but too few rounds to have enough weight pulling down to overcome that tension in the mag well.

They work fine in every other case, so I don't let it bother me. I bought mine around May of 2013 for what it's worth.

There was a recall for a batch of lancers, here is a link where they say they will fix them for free.
https://lancer-systems.com/awc/3_15follower/

All of my lancers were manufactured in 2016, and none of them have the problem you mentioned FWIW.

Moose-Knuckle
11-07-17, 02:06
I own a bunch of the Lancer 5.56 20 rounders that I acquired when Aim was giving them away at $8.99 a pop. I do prefer their 7.62 mags in my DD5.

Generally I stockpile and cache USGI for 30rnd mags when I happen upon good deals, also the Gen M3 PMAGs.

As for use, I like 20 rounders in LW KISS rifles. The Gen M3 20rnd mags with Ranger plates make a nice combo.

pag23
11-07-17, 03:38
I like my Lancer 30 rounders..I have smoke and black ones...they function just as well as my Magpuls. However I am my diversified in my magazines... DH, Magpul, Lancer, some HK, but I use Magpul as my primary ones.