PDA

View Full Version : How would you classify?

556Diesel
11-03-17, 19:40
My rifle is a DPMS Oracle chambered in 5.56/.223, 16” barrel. I have a 3-9x scope on it and a Harris knockoff bipod.

How would you classify this? SPR? DMR? Recce (with a cheapa$$ barrel)? Nothing special rifle? Piece of crap?

-D

gaijin
11-03-17, 19:48
Curious why you need a "classification " for it.
If it works for you, for its intended purpose, why does it matter?

556Diesel
11-03-17, 19:52
I don’t need a classification - you’re right, it goes bang and I enjoy it.

I’d still like to know for two reasons:
1. So I can understand those terms better, using my real life example rather than a theoretical setup
2. If it’s of a certain type, then I might want to put more into the rifle to bring it up to that standard - I think that’s pretty normal, for folks to build toward a specific type of rifle

hk_shootr
11-03-17, 20:11
Low budget SPR

Important question is, how does it shoot?

556Diesel
11-03-17, 20:18
Thank you for the response, hk.

What makes it an spr? What’s your definition?

militarymoron
11-03-17, 20:25
"Fun plinker" - in a non-derogatory way.
"Scoped carbine".

It actually reminds me a bit of this setup:
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/attachments/hk-talk/17971d1388876315-mp5-bipod-hk94sg1.jpg

Leaveammoforme
11-03-17, 21:00
I'd consider it a Mishmash. Does everything, kinda. Excels at nothing in particular.

Warp
11-03-17, 21:25
Cheap range toy? What scope?

556Diesel
11-03-17, 21:53
As I’ve mentioned, it was cheap - the rifle was less than $300 with a deal online and a rebate. Less than $125 for both the scope and rds. $15 for the bipod.

I’ve only been able to reach out to 100 at an indoor range, but it shoots true and I have great confidence in it. Yes, I shoot paper with bulk ammo, but man, I love this thing and can’t wait to take it farther and farther.

I have the offset rds on it for closer in since I’m at the stage of having just one rifle. I suppose I’ll need to decide what I want this one to do and then what I want the next one to do.

Iraqgunz
11-03-17, 22:12
Get back to us after you put a lot of rounds in through it. The aluminum gas block will eventually fail. I'd also ream the chamber with a true 5.56 reamer before the primer blowing starts.

georgeib
11-04-17, 05:09
Although I'm not a fan of DPMS, congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the AR community! For the price you paid, you got a good rifle to help you start learning the AR platform, and what it's traditionally weak points are. Make sure you keep your rifle's moving parts lubed generously, as this will mitigate the vast majority of malfunctions.

Iraqguns is right about the gas block and chamber, but by the time you've fired enough through it for the gas block to fail, you probably will have learned enough to replace it yourself with a proper steel one. And as far as the chamber goes, make sure you ONLY shoot ammo marked as .223, NOT 5.56 Nato.

If you hang around this forum in the meantime, you'll learn what features an AR that you can stake your life on has. And when you're ready for your next purchase, you'll be well informed to make the best decision. For the time being, spend your money on .223 ammo and training; you'll be glad you did. Happy shooting!

Renegade04
11-04-17, 07:04
I don’t need a classification - you’re right, it goes bang and I enjoy it.

I’d still like to know for two reasons:
1. So I can understand those terms better, using my real life example rather than a theoretical setup
2. If it’s of a certain type, then I might want to put more into the rifle to bring it up to that standard - I think that’s pretty normal, for folks to build toward a specific type of rifle

What you have is an optics ready carbine with an inexpensive knock-off bipod. Personally, I would not put any more into it unless you plan on upgrading to a different barrel ( a good quality mid-length type), a better quality BCG, possibly a low profile gas block, a good quality free-float handguard, an upgraded trigger like the ALG ACT (or one that is similar), a good quality optic (need to define the purpose for the AR to determine whether a scope of a red-dot is better suited), a good quality optic/scope mount, a good quality bipod adapter, and a better quality bipod. Those are just a few things to consider. Often times, you would have been better off spending more money up front for an AR that was already set up better and more versatile. The DPMS Oracle is a fine entry level AR-15. It is basic and good for someone to learn with. In my opinion, it can be a good home defense/range gun the way it is now. Of course,, for a home defense AR, you do not need a variable powered scope on it.

tehpwnag3
11-04-17, 09:14
SCwB. (Scoped Carbine with Bipod)

ETA: Is that a offset RDS on there as well?

MisterHelix
11-04-17, 09:50
FWIW, it looks like you could take the thumb-screw front sight post off. You're not using it anyway, and it's probably irritating/distracting when seen through the optic.

QuickStrike
11-04-17, 12:39
Beater/loaner med/long range. Would be better my uses and as a loaner with a red dot imo.

BPDKar98k
11-04-17, 12:51
A training plinker and not much else. Better than nothing.

PaLEOjd
11-04-17, 13:44
Not trying to be rude but don't dump anymore money into that carbine, it's just not worth the effort. Adding accessories to a cheap rifle will not make it better, or really improve it's performance. Leave it the way it is, and enjoy. There is a ton of great information available on this forum, I would suggest you do some reading and educate yourself on the AR platform before making another purchase.
Sooner or later you will realize what you have and will make a better purchase in the future. Until then, practice, practice, practice......And stay away from 556NATO ammunition, DPMS in not properly chambered for that cartridge.

Renegade
11-04-17, 13:51
My rifle is a DPMS Oracle chambered in 5.56/.223, 16” barrel. I have a 3-9x scope on it and a Harris knockoff bipod.

How would you classify this? SPR? DMR? Recce (with a cheapa$$ barrel)? Nothing special rifle? Piece of crap?

Textbook definition of Modern Sporting Rifle. Not much different than a Remington 7400, Browning BAR, or any other autoloading hunting rifle from yesteryear.

556Diesel
11-04-17, 15:23
Many thanks for all the feedback, even through PMs.

I’m new to the forum and new to rifle shooting, so I’m glad and encouraged to hear that this will do me right for training up.

When I get more serious, I’ll begin with a better foundation and focus on the type of rifle I want, probably for accurate distance shooting.

In the meantime, I’m going to keep the investment super low as I already have. But I’m already loving my rifle and plan on keeping it as long as some people do hanging on to sentimental things like their first wristwatch or cigarette lighter.

5.56 Bonded SP
11-04-17, 15:49
Not trying to be rude but don't dump anymore money into that carbine, it's just not worth the effort. Adding accessories to a cheap rifle will not make it better, or really improve it's performance.

This^

bugsy714
11-04-17, 17:10
Looks like a fun little rifle to me and it should be able to do anything you wanted to do unless you plan on getting dropped in downtown Fallujah anytime soon :-)

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

bamashooter
11-04-17, 19:36
Nothing wrong with spending a few bucks on it. The most likely cost-effective improvement you can do with it is a trigger upgrade. several out there depending on what you'd best like.

Renegade
11-04-17, 19:48
Nothing wrong with spending a few bucks on it. The most likely cost-effective improvement you can do with it is a trigger upgrade. several out there depending on what you'd best like.

This, and most improvements can be migrated to another platform, so no $$$ lost.