PDA

View Full Version : Profiles

DocGKR
10-10-08, 12:27
Is there any way people could be encouraged to actually accurately and completely fill out their profiles so folks can judge their experience levels and background when responding to posts?

Jay Cunningham
10-10-08, 12:35
Is there any way people could be encouraged to actually accurately and completely fill out their profiles so folks can judge their experience levels and background when responding to posts?

Of course we could "encourage" it - but then again, people can make up whatever they want in their profiles. The staff and mods have neither the time nor the inclination to vet all the current members and every new applicant, so it's basically the honor system anyway.

ST911
10-10-08, 13:05
I would support a requirement that users complete some generic pertinents so that the context of their input could be considered.

Simple data could be offered and maintain PERSEC. Something like "LEO, SWAT, LEFI, Pacific Northwest" would be useful. "Army Vet, IT Guru, Rec Shooter, SE USA." "USAF-AD, Downrange."

Where a cred was suspect, inquiries could be made as needed.

I like the lightfighter setup... Intro, profile, participate.

Jay Cunningham
10-10-08, 13:07
I would support a requirement that users complete some generic pertinents so that the context of their input could be considered.

Simple data could be offered and maintain PERSEC. Something like "LEO, SWAT, LEFI, Pacific Northwest" would be useful. "Army Vet, IT Guru, Rec Shooter, SE USA." "USAF-AD, Downrange."

Where a cred was suspect, inquiries could be made as needed.

I like the lightfighter setup... Intro, profile, participate.

This isn't LightFighter.

DrMark
10-10-08, 13:12
Interesting topic, which brings to mind a question:

It looks to me like the public profile pages have changed format sometime over the last year. When one enters info about himself (under Bio in User CP, for example), where does this info appear in the person's public profile?

In other words, how do we put information into our public profile?

LOKNLOD
10-10-08, 13:15
On a related note...

I may just be interweb-challenged, but is it possible to still view people's profiles by clicking their name? When I click, I can see their posts, do a visitor message, etc. -- which are all good features -- but I don't see the traditional "location, occupation, interests" information. The only place that shows up is in the "members list" which is hard to find people in.

Am I doing it wrong?

Jay Cunningham
10-10-08, 13:15
Interesting topic, which brings to mind a question:

It looks to me like the public profile pages have changed format sometime over the last year. When one enters info about himself (under Bio in User CP, for example), where does this info appear in the person's public profile?

In other words, how do we put information into our public profile?

You enter that data from your "control panel" and it appears under the "About Me" tab in the profile.

ST911
10-10-08, 13:18
This isn't LightFighter.

Understood. Offered only as an example.

DrMark
10-10-08, 13:40
You enter that data from your "control panel" and it appears under the "About Me" tab in the profile.

I see where to enter info in the CP, but I don't see any "About Me" tab in people's profiles.

I think this is the same point of confusion that LOKNLOD is referring to.

sl4mdaddy
10-10-08, 14:53
I see where to enter info in the CP, but I don't see any "About Me" tab in people's profiles.

I think this is the same point of confusion that LOKNLOD is referring to.

When I click on your username and then select view public profile I get here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/member.php?u=60

DrMark
10-10-08, 15:13
When I click on your username and then select view public profile I get here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/member.php?u=60

Right.

Do you see an "About Me" tab or any indication of my occupation (since that's info I entered)?

David Thomas
10-10-08, 15:47
Right.

Do you see an "About Me" tab or any indication of my occupation (since that's info I entered)?

No, I didn't.

SHIVAN
10-10-08, 16:06
Right.

I can, but not from the front end. It looks like settings would need to be tweaked in the board code to allow profiles to be public.

It's unrealistic to be honest. Wish everyone was on the up-and-up, but they're not. If this is something everyone wants -- maybe we can start a collection of funds for specific background checks of each new member??

I'll offer the first $20 towards background checks for users here. Anyone else?

My company pays $1500 a month for 50 basic checks, so we'd have a way to go.:eek:

LOKNLOD
10-10-08, 16:14
I can, but not from the front end. It looks like settings would need to be tweaked in the board code to allow profiles to be public.

It's unrealistic to be honest. Wish everyone was on the up-and-up, but they're not. If this is something everyone wants -- maybe we can start a collection of funds for specific background checks of each new member??

I'll offer the first $20 towards background checks for users here. Anyone else?

My company pays $1500 a month for 50 basic checks, so we'd have a way to go.:eek:

If you click on the "Members List" link at the top, everyone's profile info is visible there (helps to click "posts" to sort by # of posts, so some familiar stuff is at the top). So it's not really "not public" just "not easily viewed". It used to be on people's profile page, prior to the board update when the social groups, friends, and visitor messages were included.

I don't think we should force people to do it, or make a big deal about it, or require intros like LF, but it would be nice to be able to easily see the info that people choose to share. For example, if I post a comment saying that I don't like the way something is designed, it might be useful for people to look and see that I'm an enginerd, and not a doorkicker, and take my opinion within the context of where it's coming from.

If anything, it's in very close alignment with the M4C.net goal of qualifying our statements with relevant info.

C4IGrant
10-12-08, 11:19

No.

Even if people did fill them out, they would most likely make themselves appear better than they are.

C4

Turnkey11
10-13-08, 00:02
No.

Even if people did fill them out, they would most likely make themselves appear better than they are.

C4

We could post ERB's and DD214's...:D

sl4mdaddy
10-13-08, 07:53
Right.

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/5098/screenerlx2.png (http://imageshack.us)

LOKNLOD
10-13-08, 08:40
(screen shot)

I don't have those tabs. I be Dr. Mark doesn't either. I wonder if I've got them disabled somehow.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/LOKNLOD/th_untitled.jpg (http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/LOKNLOD/untitled.jpg)

DrMark
10-13-08, 09:38
I don't have those tabs. I bet Dr. Mark doesn't either. I wonder if I've got them disabled somehow.
You're right, I do not see that tab on my own or anyone else's profile.

There are really 2 separate issues being discussed in this thread.

First, should folks be encouraged/required to provide some background info. Those who run the forum have been clear that that's not going to happen, in part because the resources are not available for any sort of vetting process. Also, it's been made clear from the beginning that this forum wasn't going to be a restricted forum like 10-8, but more accessable like arfcom (but kept to a narrower focus).

Second, the profile information that we do enter is no longer accessable from the public profile, but only by going through the member list. I, for one, think making it accessable from the public profile via the "about me" tab would be nice, if that's reasonably doable. Heck, maybe it's just some setting I missed somewhere...

SHIVAN
10-13-08, 10:30
I messaged Admin to check on why we can't see the profile information that is available via the Members List.

Hopefully he'll correct that...

LOKNLOD
10-13-08, 10:34
First, should folks be encouraged/required to provide some background info. Those who run the forum have been clear that that's not going to happen, in part because the resources are not available for any sort of vetting process. Also, it's been made clear from the beginning that this forum wasn't going to be a restricted forum like 10-8, but more accessable like arfcom (but kept to a narrower focus).

Yes. I respect (and agree with) the staff/mods decision not to hound everyone over their profile/intro post/whatever. Its a lot of time and effort wasted and there's little to no reward in taking the time to pester everyone about it.

Since it is on the "honor system" I do think a polite request on the registration page would be reasonable, and that very well may be in place -- it's been two years since I registered, I don't remember what it said. Beyond that...good luck.

That said, I also believe that if more people would just toss us all a bone and tell us something about themselves it would help us understand where they're coming from. It would definitely help with the goal of qualifying our statements (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19280) without everyones background needing to be reiterated in every post.

Of course if we can't see anyone's profile to begin with, it's a moot point.

Second, the profile information that we do enter is no longer accessable from the public profile, but only by going through the member list. I, for one, think making it accessable from the public profile via the "about me" tab would be nice, if that's reasonably doable. Heck, maybe it's just some setting I missed somewhere...

I agree here and if it's possible, it would at least help out for those who do opt to take the time to fill out their profiles honestly. If it's not feasible, that's fine. I tried every link I could find to see some setting that I had turned off, but no luck. If I knew anything about board code, I'd be happy to help on the back end, but I don't.

I've learned a lot from the site, am proud to be a member here, and want to see the board continue to do well. The bigger it gets, the harder it is to keep on track, though...nature of the beast. If there's anything I can do, please let me know.

ETA: Thanks, SHIVAN. :)

VooDoo6Actual
10-13-08, 18:18
There is a world that should be,
and a world that is.

WE live in the world that is.

I agree w/ the Mods/Staff's position 110%.

I see no benefit whatsoever when you have FRAUDS abounding in this industry who are Cross Vetting their phoney buddies and their buddies are crossvetting them or putting them on their Board of Directors.

Some of them have DUPED LEO/MIL/FEDS/DoD for years nuff said.

Then you have the felons who change their name etc.

There is no way w/o BONAFIDE DD214's, FIT Reports, MOS Schools, employment records etc.

It would be simply way to cost prohibitive etc.

Sounds a lot like the same problems with Wall Street and Washington to me. VENALITY.

FRAUD, is The NUMBER ONE Crime...

Jay Cunningham
10-13-08, 19:16
Usually we figure out pretty quickly those worth listening to, those who should be ignored and those who should have their account locked.