PDA

View Full Version : How to best address over gassed AR.

ApexLocator
11-04-17, 18:18
I'd like to reduce the recoil on my AR15. After shooting only 40 or 50 rounds I end up with bruises on my shoulder from the Magpul MOE Fixed Carbine stock. I have a 16" 1/9 Carbine length barrel with a SureFire Pro Comp muzzle device on it. I tried increasing the weight of the buffer from a Carbine buffer to an H2 and it still kicks like a mother. I'm willing to replace the barrel with a middy but what about an adjustable gas block? Can I get the same results with said gas block or is a change of gas system a must? I'm shooting Federal American Eagle .223 55gr ammo. The rifle may not necessarily be overgassed as I have no issues with extraction of cartridges or the bolt not locking back on the last round. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hk_shootr
11-04-17, 19:10
Interesting.....I’ve never shot an AR that “kicked like a mother”

Interested in suggestions about a fix. Adjustable gas block, barrel replacement, an even heavier buffer, swap to a A5 buffer system

ApexLocator
11-04-17, 19:18

Interested in suggestions about a fix. Adjustable gas block, barrel replacement, an even heavier buffer, swap to a A5 buffer system

I know. Maybe I'm a wuss but I don't think a bruised shoulder is normal after every trip to the range. I've read countless posts about ARs having very little felt recoil. This is not one of them. Maybe I need a tougher shoulder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaijin
11-04-17, 19:24
If you've played with buffers and are certain your barrels "over gassed", go to the source and try adjustable gas block- or get a barrel with proper sized port.

Out of curiosity; what the heck ammo are you using and who's barrel is it?

TomMcC
11-04-17, 19:36
If you have shot other long arms, what would you compare your AR to?

AR's aren't really hard kicking affairs, not compared to my 12ga with buckshot or my 7mm RemMag bolt action.

After thought...are you properly seating the stock against your shoulder? Making sure the pointed end of the stock isn't the only contact point?

grizzman
11-04-17, 19:38
5.56 ARs do have very light recoil, and your experience is quite abnormal.

I seriously doubt an adjustable gas block or mid length gas system will stop the rifle from beating on you. I'm not familiar with your muzzle device, but an effective brake should have much more of an effect than any gas system modification.

Are you holding the rifle tightly to your shoulder? I sometimes use a s slip-on rubber butt pad when testing handloads for my lightweight .270 and 7mm Magnum bolt actions from the bench, and it works very well.

Adding weight to the rifle will also reduce felt recoil.

flenna
11-04-17, 19:55

I am at a loss here, too. My kids started shooting AR's at ages 9 or 10 because it is the lightest kicking rifle in the safe.

AKDoug
11-04-17, 20:48
I don't necessarily doubt your experience, but I'm also not sure you have an "overgassing" situation. Felt recoil varies very little between different buffers, so I can't imagine them fixing the problem for you. Would you mind telling us what AR you have and what is the current buffer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T3qjpZB6ME

ApexLocator
11-05-17, 00:27
If you've played with buffers and are certain your barrels "over gassed", go to the source and try adjustable gas block- or get a barrel with proper sized port.

Out of curiosity; what the heck ammo are you using and who's barrel is it?

Federal 55gr American Eagle .223
The barrel is a 16" 1/9 Twist by BFA with a Carbine Length Gas System.

ApexLocator
11-05-17, 00:29
If you have shot other long arms, what would you compare your AR to?

AR's aren't really hard kicking affairs, not compared to my 12ga with buckshot or my 7mm RemMag bolt action.

After thought...are you properly seating the stock against your shoulder? Making sure the pointed end of the stock isn't the only contact point?

I believe I am holding the stock tightly to my shoulder and am making as much contact area of the butt stock to the shoulder as well.

ApexLocator
11-05-17, 00:32
I don't necessarily doubt your experience, but I'm also not sure you have an "overgassing" situation. Felt recoil varies very little between different buffers, so I can't imagine them fixing the problem for you. Would you mind telling us what AR you have and what is the current buffer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T3qjpZB6ME
Hello Doug and thanks for your response. I'm running a 16" BFA branded barrel with a 1/9 twist and carbine length gas system. I has a SureFire ProComp muzzle device. The buffer is a BCM H2.

AKDoug
11-05-17, 00:43
Hello Doug and thanks for your response. I'm running a 16" BFA branded barrel with a 1/9 twist and carbine length gas system. I has a SureFire ProComp muzzle device. The buffer is a BCM H2.

With that comp on there I can suggest nothing. It shouldn't be kicking at all. Are you holding it with such a death grip that you're pressing it too hard into your shoulder?

Iraqgunz
11-05-17, 01:55
Something is wrong, but I am not sure what. It shouldn't be "kicking" like others have stated.

Straight Shooter
11-05-17, 06:34
Heavier buffer, full auto bolt carrier, VG Gamma muzzle brake. Its what i did...like butta now.

hk_shootr
11-05-17, 08:17
I know. Maybe I'm a wuss but I don't think a bruised shoulder is normal after every trip to the range. I've read countless posts about ARs having very little felt recoil. This is not one of them. Maybe I need a tougher shoulder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it possible that you simply aren’t getting the stock into your shoulder pocket? Poor form is the only thing I can think of where a shooter would be getting bruised by a .223

ApexLocator
11-05-17, 08:17
Heavier buffer, full auto bolt carrier, VG Gamma muzzle brake. Its what i did...like butta now.

Thanks! Is your rifle also setup with 16" barrel w/ carbine length gas system? Also, how heavy is your buffer. I'm running an H2 which seemed to soften the recoil marginally over the Carbine buffer I had before.

ApexLocator
11-05-17, 08:23
It's possible. I'll have to study that and see. I shot a friend's AR 15 that had an 18" barrel and rifle length gas system and that seemed noticeably softer to shoot. That's expected. I just got a Aero Precision 16" mid length upper. I'm going to place a Strike J-Comp muzzle device on it and try it on my lower to see that a middy shoots like. I shot only a couple of AR15s prior to getting mine and it's entirely possible my lack of experience with them is the problem. I don't bruise easily and that's what's perplexing about my rifle.

Clint
11-05-17, 09:17
It's entirely possible, perhaps even likely, the barrel is overgassed.

If so, there are several different ways to address this, ranging from fixing the gas, to replacing the barrel or replacing the upper.

Straight Shooter
11-05-17, 15:40
Thanks! Is your rifle also setup with 16" barrel w/ carbine length gas system? Also, how heavy is your buffer. I'm running an H2 which seemed to soften the recoil marginally over the Carbine buffer I had before.

Yes, and I think its an H3 buffer. Came with a semi-auto carrer, ditched it for a full auto. That muzzle brake helped a lot.