PDA

View Full Version : PDQ Ambi Bolt Release Verdict?

Brazos_Jack
11-05-17, 10:08
These look really interesting. I read a lot of glowing reviews on some blogs. I've also read of some problems on some several year old posts on some other forums. Have any past problems been addressed? Are any of you using these. How are they working out?.

tommyrott
11-05-17, 13:38
I have one that I performed the Dremel mod to my Bushmaster lower, have had zero problems with it. And I have an Aero Precision gen2 ambi lower receiver as well and also have had zero problems with it

Stickman
11-05-17, 15:23
These look really interesting. I read a lot of glowing reviews on some blogs. I've also read of some problems on some several year old posts on some other forums. Have any past problems been addressed? Are any of you using these. How are they working out?.

No link? No pics? No nothing? :(

krichbaum
11-05-17, 16:04
I tried one and regret cutting the lower for it. For me it's hard to use for locking the bolt back, which was the only function I wanted from it (don't care about a right side bolt release). And it can cause failure to lock the bolt back on an otherwise properly functioning gun. So I have a lower now that is cut for one but I took the thing off of it. FWIW mine didn't break/chip like some of them apparently did.

tommyrott
11-05-17, 17:56
48439484404844148442been able to lock back with trigger finger on both hands as I shoot ambidextrous quite a bit.

Brazos_Jack
11-05-17, 20:23
krichbaum

Was it pressure from the port door that caused the failure to lock back with the PDQ? Did it happen on the last round of a magazine or when operating the charging handle with an empty mag in place?

VIP3R 237
11-05-17, 23:01
I have 2 Aero’s and one modified lower with the pdq. It does work but with one of my aero’s the bolt doesn’t always lock back on the last mag. I don’t know if it’s the port door pressure or if it’s the Pdq has too much mass to overcome.

Brazos_Jack
11-08-17, 18:39
"but with one of my aero’s the bolt doesn’t always lock back on the last mag. I don’t know if it’s the port door pressure or if it’s the Pdq has too much mass to overcome"

I think the problem is the combination of the two.

I've also looked into things like the Magpul BAD and the Troy. It looks like none are "ready for prime time" as they come from their respective vendors.

I've read of one guy who made his PDQ 100% by ginding away about half of the part that extends from the starboard side of the receiver, drastically cutting the weight and removing most of the arms material where it contacts the port door.

It seems that for $60 bucks, the vendor should make them this way to start with:
https://minivandoorgunner.blogspot.com/2016/03/teal-blue-bravo-pdq-ambi-bolt-release.html

mig1nc
06-25-18, 11:04
Any updates on this? I saw the new HK416 ambi bolt release and thought it looked remarkably like the PDQ... At least in LAVs video.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

cdmiller
07-10-18, 00:39
If anyone is interested in the PDQ lever or the HK version, I would suggest just buying an ADM UIC lower. I have several, have never had any problems with anything not working the way it is supposed to, and use my trigger finger to both lock the bolt back and release it. At this point the only AR lower that I own that is not an ADM UIC lower is an AXTS (pre name change to Radian) AX556 lower that is SBR’ed..

VIP3R 237
07-10-18, 12:12
I appreciate the link. I’ll have to modify mine.

"but with one of my aero’s the bolt doesn’t always lock back on the last mag. I don’t know if it’s the port door pressure or if it’s the Pdq has too much mass to overcome"

I think the problem is the combination of the two.

I've also looked into things like the Magpul BAD and the Troy. It looks like none are "ready for prime time" as they come from their respective vendors.

I've read of one guy who made his PDQ 100% by ginding away about half of the part that extends from the starboard side of the receiver, drastically cutting the weight and removing most of the arms material where it contacts the port door.

It seems that for $60 bucks, the vendor should make them this way to start with:
https://minivandoorgunner.blogspot.com/2016/03/teal-blue-bravo-pdq-ambi-bolt-release.html

BillB
07-10-18, 14:08
I have one too but mine is on a billet lower and the mod to my lower was much less invasive than that on a mil spec lower, it was so easy and quick it was almost scarey, and the lever works perfectly. I've had 0 issues with any function of the gun and all operates as it should. I personally like it.

Gunfixr
07-10-18, 15:49
I put one in a rifle I built for my wife several yrs back, as she shoots long guns lefty. As installed, it had one issue, not always locking the bolt on the last round.
Upon close inspection, the dust cover rode it pretty solidly, and the right side sticking out seems to add quite a bit of mass, especially that far away from the pivot point.
So, I recontoured much of that side. Milled some off the bottom of the right side button and arm, cut a little lightening pocket in the bottom of the button, and put a shallow bevel along the top outside of the arm, where the dust cover rode.
Gtg ever since. The steel was quite hard, so I'm not expecting it to bend or give way without getting a pretty serious hit.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

TheWambo
07-11-18, 17:36
My take on the PDQ after a few months use:

Few things to note if you're just skimming.

1. I'm left handed, and Ive used Magpul BAD levers on other rifles

2. The PDQ is a safer and equally effective option in my opinion.

3. I think I'd like it better if I was right handed

Now there's not too many different different schools of thought for left handed bolt manipulation; and before I got a BAD lever I basically manipulated the bolt catch the same as Lary Vickers (not as fluidly of course but same motion).

This method works fine and would probably be what I'd focus my training around if I had a higher probability of having to pick up and rapidly use a non ambi augmented AR in combat; but Im a civilian in all aspects. I primarily target shoot, but I'm working on developing a more combat oriented skillset. Unless I'm shooting a friends gun at the range Im using all my own gear, so why not orient it for my use.

Ive used all the main BAD lever style offerings from different companies and while they were very useful for a lefty, I never really liked the Idea of it being placed inside the trigger guard. I'm sure with proper discipline and conscious effort this would never result in an ND in a perfect world, but I'll openly admit I'm far from perfect and I'd rather not play the odds game with a firearm.

There have been a few documented cases of ND's that were potentially BAD lever related in the competitive world, which prompted me to look for a better solution on the market.

I narrowed my search down to the PDQ and the Geissele Maritime extended bolt catch. While I like the Geissele option, the tab for the release wasn't in a comfortable position to reach with the Magpul K2 grip on my rifle, it was doable with a regular A2 grip, but I really like the K2 so I decided to look into the PDQ lever.

Instead of modifying an existing gun I opted to just get a new Aero Precision Ambi lower that has the PDQ pre installed, and build another rifle.

My experience thereafter was overwhelmingly positive, but ill break it down into pro's and con's

Pro:

-Feels secure and purpose built (no sloppy wobble like a BAD)

-Engages reliably with quality mags

-Comfortably acessible with my right hand thumb from a magwell grip (or via index finger for right handed people, I suspect this was the original designed use)

Con.

-Causes slight wear/rub on the dust cover (I don't care but just be aware if you do for some reason)

-Requires modification of factory forged lowers for use (I havent heard of any ill effect on the lower's integrity)

-may not lock the bolt back reliably in some very specific circumstances or combinations thereof

1. Weak or worn magspring
2. Overly stiff bolt catch spring (only read of this once and I think it may have actually been caused by reason 1
3. Something pushing down on the dust cover blocking the lever from traveling upward.

The only malfuction I've experienced personally that was possibly related to this lever was a few failures to lock the bolt open on an empty mag. These all occurred with the same mag, which is my oldest, cheapest and least reliable mag. I couldn't replicate this with any of my Magpul, Lancer, or even my Hex Mags, so I'd surmise it was more mag related than lever related.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180711/2ce70aa2591244524d32b72ffccfcf8b.jpg

justin_247
07-11-18, 19:35
The LMT MARS-L is the better solution...

https://lmtdefense.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/M7SL.png

Rogue556
07-12-18, 13:54

I've got one of these lowers and I've really been trying hard to keep myself from swapping all of my lowers to these. They really are awesome, especially now that they offer them stripped. No issues using USGI, Magpul Gen 2 or 3, or Lancer L5AWM mags. It's also nice having an ambi lower that looks more traditional (not flashy) yet still has well placed and functional ambi features. Also, for those that care, the anodizing on it is really nice and doesn't seem to be as prone to showing wear as other manufacturers anodizing, at least from my sample of one.

Mr. Goodtimes
07-12-18, 17:55
The only thing I’d buy from PDQ are chicken tenders. They should just stick to what they’re good at. Everybody feels like they have to be in the AR game now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatrioticDisorder
07-15-18, 07:39

That lower looks amazing, I love LMT! I have a bunch of AX556 lowers as well, I love these too and are also a better solution! The reli-catch/release also gets you close to full ambi (no ambi mag release, due to Radian not given them the ok to produce an ambi mag release apparently) if you want to make a current lower almost full ambi.

This PDQ product looks interesting, but I see you have to hack up a current lower? Is there no way around that? If so, it would be a no go for me.

R.O.U.S.
07-15-18, 18:50
I've handled one LMT mars lowers in person. I wish I knew about them before going into weird boutique lowers. They are definitely good quality, and the right side bolt catch is solid, and is very smooth. The only caveat I can think of is that aftermarket bolt catches are not compatible.

mig1nc
07-16-18, 05:59
If I had it to do over again, I'd start with an LMT MARS, KAC, or Radian. Maybe an ADM, but I like the others better. But the reason I was drawn into this thread is I have a lower that I SBR'd over half a decade ago that I want to add ambi to. So, I'm kind of bound to this little guy.

BillB
07-19-18, 17:54
Yeah, this has me on the whole full ambi kick again. Operations Parts has a pre-order for another run of Radian ADAC lowers.
Does the LMT MARS have the same functionality as the ADAC? ie the bolt lock back with the right side mag release?
Honestly both look great and I'm sure both are top quality but honestly, I much prefer forged lowers. Some billet receivers loose the look for me. I guess I just prefer the mil look.

justin_247
07-19-18, 19:43
Does the LMT MARS have the same functionality as the ADAC? ie the bolt lock back with the right side mag release?

The two are... different. With LMT, the bolt catch is almost literally a mirror of the catch on the left-hand side and you manipulate it exactly the same way to drop the bolt or lock the bolt back, just with your right-hand.

With the Radian, the function is split up between two buttons... it has a dedicated button on the right-hand side to release the bolt and the magazine release button doubles as a bolt catch.

mig1nc
07-20-18, 08:14
The two are... different. With LMT, the bolt catch is almost literally a mirror of the catch on the left-hand side and you manipulate it exactly the same way to drop the bolt or lock the bolt back, just with your right-hand.

With the Radian, the function is split up between two buttons... it has a dedicated button on the right-hand side to release the bolt and the magazine release button doubles as a bolt catch.So, with the Radian you have to drop a mag to lock the bolt back with your right hand?

Duffy
07-20-18, 09:51
A-DAC works by using an actuator rod, the mag button pushes it diagonally and moves the bolt catch. Both the mag release button and bolt catch have to be modified to work, the receiver needs the channel for the actuator rod as well, so all proprietary components.

Redi-Catch replicates this by using an S shaped spring, and a modified bolt catch which holds the spring. The spring reaches up to the back of the bolt catch, when the mag release button is pressed, the spring pivots the bolt catch down, locking the bolt carrier back.

The problem with Redi-Catch is it precludes the use of any ambi mag release, Norgon, KAC, Troy, our EMR-A, because the mag catch plate is proprietary.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/redicatchabcrf5_zpsq9znqaz4.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Duffypoo/media/redicatchabcrf5_zpsq9znqaz4.jpg.html)

The interesting tidbit (to some, maybe) is Redi-Catch's use of another spring adds to the pressure required to press the mag release button. In addition to the mag catch's own spring, the mag catch now has another spring that adds resistance, it feels about twice as hard with a Redi-Catch installed. I first noticed it, and realized this isn't a bad thing, but something I wanted. The factory spec mag catch spring is rather weak, it's not hard to accidentally drop a mag, especially if you have the rifle slung, with the ejection port facing your armor with pouches and gear attached.

With our EMR-A, we use an extra power (calibrated to 30% stiffer) spring, which we also make available separately. Much to my surprise, these extra spring rate springs are quite popular on our site.

Dennis
07-20-18, 11:06
I really like both the ADAC lowers and Redi-Catch. Dropping the mag prior to locking the bolt back makes sense for both immediate action and administrative functions. I was pretty quick locking the bolt back the old way but these make it quick and easy with no shifting grip/aspect of the weapon.

I like the drop in simplicity of the Redi-Catch but the ADAC is cleaner. I was also able to modify larger/nicer bolt catches to work with the ADAC lower so you don't have to stick to the boring standard paddle OEM one.

I wish I was able to procure a full ambi lower before our state rights diminished in 2016 but they were rare back then...

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

justin_247
07-20-18, 16:14
So, with the Radian you have to drop a mag to lock the bolt back with your right hand?

Not exactly... with the Radian you have to drop a mag to lock the bolt back with your right hand if you don't want to remove your right hand away from the fire controls. You can always lock the bolt back with the left-hand bolt catch if you don't want to drop the mag.

If you think about situations where you may need to lock the bolt back with your right-hand, particularly certain kinds of functions to correct a malfunction, the ADAC makes a lot of sense. I really can't think of any situations where I need to both quickly and manually lock the bolt back WITH the magazine in the weapon.

BillB
07-21-18, 08:22
These show my minimal modification to this particular lower. It seems to do what he said it would do. Like some others I don't care too much for the shape and it's slightly concluded by the FA but I have plenty to engage and work the device. Overall I guess I'm happy with it. Plus I got a small discount due to receiving the nickel one instead of the black finish.
When I run one of my slick side uppers on this lower it becomes even more easily manipulated and is quite fast with practice.
I had it for quite the while after buying it because I chickened out and couldn't bring myself to chop a new BCM lower for it but when I got this lower and saw how it was machined there, I knew I had found the perfect candidate for a PDQ.