PDA

View Full Version : Browning Hi Power

czgunner
11-05-17, 12:02
I recently picked up a MK3.
I’ve wanted one for a long time, and finally got a decent deal.
I know it’s considered dated, but I’m drawn to it.
It shoots pretty good, but the trigger is terrible. Even with the mag safety removed.
So, I’m going to send it out to have some work done. Probably Action Works.
I’m going to have better trigger, hammer seat installed. Heinie sights, and maybe a refinish.
For a “fighting”/carry gun, is there anything you experts would recommend?

MisterHelix
11-05-17, 12:27
The BHP is, in my opinion, the nicest of the old school classics. My last was a FBI/HRT clone worked over by the Novak custom shop. Really a nice pistol. Really pretty, nostalgic, classic, and cool.

Sold it.

Though I'm no expert, For a "fighting"/carry gun, I recommend a box stock Glock 19 or 17. I know, not what you were asking.

"Pretty" is not a quality that contributes to my survival, and that's all a "fighting gun" means to me.

My 2¢

yoni
11-05-17, 13:56
I carried a Hi Power for years as an issue pistol. I currently own 3 of them, a highly worked over Cylinder and Slide, a Novak Special Ops, and a stock pistol.

Modifications in my book are as follows remove magazine safety, good action job, if needed better sights.

If I was told I had to go back to carrying a Hi Power over my CZ P09/07. I would lose a lot of sleep over it. My main issue is the slide is way to narrow to mount a RDS.

Stealing a line from Forged in Fire, Your Hi Power "will kill"

gaijin
11-05-17, 14:59
Yeah; sights, good trigger and barrel crown if needed- you're GTG.
P-35 is one of my two primary carry handguns. I have total confidence in it.

VALG17
11-05-17, 15:10
The High Power is a fun novelty from yesteryear. I had a couple and enjoyed them. Sold them. Never looked back. I know, cool story, me.

Pilot1
11-05-17, 15:43
I've had a MK III BHP since I bought it new in 1994. It is the factory Silver Chrome model with the tall adjustable rear sight, therefore it has only been a range, and HD gun for me. It is box stock, and is among my most accurate, and reliable pistols. It is still relevant in this age of plastic. Flush 15 round mags are available form Mec-Gar, and they are excellent. For the most part I have moved to the CZ-75 platform over the years, and have several variations of that pistol. However, the BHP is right up there.

Corse
11-05-17, 16:05
I don't think there is anything wrong with a hi power, not too big, not too heavy, holds enough bullets, can be superbly accurate. The biggest down fall is the price. They can be a perfectly serviceable carry gun, I need a second one. I would do what yoni and gaijin said.

yugo308guy
11-05-17, 16:39
I have owned several BHPs, from stock mk3, to full customs from Novak, Action Works, and my current Jim Garthwaite. The single most noticeable modification I have noticed is Garthwaite’s hammer, sear and trigger. It is so far above any other custom, or stock, BHP trigger that it is hard to exaggerate. There is virtually no take up, no creep at all, just a solid wall and super crisp break. Reset is shorter than a glock, or my Steyr M9A1s! As close to a great 1911 trigger as I have felt, and I’ve have a couple custom 1911s to compare with, including a Novak.

11-05-17, 20:27
Nothing wrong with a MKIII just the way they come. The trigger is MUCH better if you use original phosphated mags. The shiny blued mags cause the mag disconnect to not slide as smoothly. The safeties are just as workable as an aftermarket. The sights have a good sight picture. Paint the rear bars black. The plastic grips are nice and thin and can be stippled. Grip tape sticks well the the front and back of the frame.

A Hi Power trigger never cleans up like a 1911. I've shot some nice ones (Don Williams, Novak, C&S, and even an Alchemy)and never thought the result of custom work was worth the money or trouble.

czgunner
11-06-17, 14:09
Action works answered the phone, I think I’m going with them.

yugo308guy
11-06-17, 14:15
Nothing wrong with a MKIII just the way they come. The trigger is MUCH better if you use original phosphated mags. The shiny blued mags cause the mag disconnect to not slide as smoothly. The safeties are just as workable as an aftermarket. The sights have a good sight picture. Paint the rear bars black. The plastic grips are nice and thin and can be stippled. Grip tape sticks well the the front and back of the frame.

A Hi Power trigger never cleans up like a 1911. I've shot some nice ones (Don Williams, Novak, C&S, and even an Alchemy)and never thought the result of custom work was worth the money or trouble.

Never is a strong word. Just because you haven't felt one does not mean they aren't out there. I used to think exactly like you, until I got my Garthwaite. I'm telling you, there is a huge difference!

OP, you will be very happy with Don Williams! He is absolutely one of the best. I believe he has put some out with the Garthwaite trigger package, you might want to ask him what he thinks.

czgunner
11-06-17, 14:26
When I talked to him this morning I told him I wanted the garthwaite parts. He seems to have a good opinion of the parts.

glocktogo
11-06-17, 14:29
Having owned and carried a BHP in the past, I'd echo what you're intending plus better sights, thin grips (they have a pretty fat butt for carry lol) and one more thing. If you stick with the stock hammer, I'd have the "no bite" hammer mods done, which is undercutting the back side of the hammer shank, and bobbing the spur if it's not a rowel hammer. Even if you don't have fleshy hands, all it takes is one poorly acquired grip to leave the web of your hand pinched and bloody!

czgunner
11-08-17, 14:03
Another question...I kind of want the reset reduction work, but it disables the firing pin block safety. No go on a carry gun?

gaijin
11-08-17, 16:35
The "short reset" mod is worth it in my book, especially if you're a 1911 shooter.
All I'll say in regards to your question of - is it advisable on a carry gun is;
You're disarming a "safety feature".
None of the pre Mklll guns had a FPS.

It's your decision.
My belief is "a righteous shoot is a righteous shoot".

Dienekes
11-09-17, 23:04
Mk. III: mag disconnect removed, C&S safety; Spegel delrins, 15 round Mec-Gar Mags. And an extra Mk. III if the first one breaks.

If it's good enough for the Tiptoe Boys to rescue Rosalind Lloyd, it's good enough for the likes of me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw2b06X_1F8

squid8286
11-10-17, 21:26
Nothing wrong with a MKIII just the way they come. The trigger is MUCH better if you use original phosphated mags. The shiny blued mags cause the mag disconnect to not slide as smoothly.

I haven't tried it on mine, but I have read where some people will take fine sand paper and rough up the area where the mag disconnect makes contact. It was said that this improved the pull when using blued mags. I just shoot mine with whatever mags happen to be with it that day. The P-35 is a fine weapon.

AndyLate
11-11-17, 11:08
None of the pre Mklll guns had a FPS

My MKII does as well (late MKII).

A G19 is my carry/bump in the night gun, but I don't consider the HP as a quaint old fashioned obsolete gun. They are compact and generally reliable, and not terribly heavy.

Andy

dwhitehorne
11-12-17, 08:32
I saw this thread and though the OP wanted exactly what my hi-power copy has. I bought this a few years ago in a whim. I had actually never heard of Israel Arms until I saw this pistol listed. Honestly I prefer the CZ75 over the hi-power but this particular pistol has what I consider to be a perfect trigger. It started out as a $300 is handgun that the original owner sent to a hi-power gunsmith in southern Virginia. As far as I can tell the only thing that was done was add a Cylinder slide trigger, sear, safety lever and mill it for the Heine sights. The CS trigger is the perfect shape for me. It moves about a 1/16 of an inch before it breaks. There is no creep or mush just a solid wall and then snap. It is quite impressive. I'm not sure if it is just the parts or the gunsmith's work. I have had quite a few hi-powers and clones (Browning, FN and FM) because I love the look but all of them chew up my hand. I was able to bob this hammer down and now no more hammer bite. If I was doing this over I would definitely get the Cylinder Slide no bite hammer. I have almost bought one a few times but the trigger is so perfect for me I haven't wanted to screw it up. I have LOK grips on it now. They are actually to thin for me and they flex when I grip the pistol. I put a line of tape behind them to take some of the flex out. I will get some different grips at some point but this is just a range toy so I'm not in any hurry. This definitely not a family heirloom but it is one good shooter. David

https://s20.postimg.org/wrrnr4ul5/IMG_0356.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/wrrnr4ul5/)
https://s20.postimg.org/4rnk6rr3t/IMG_0357_-_Copy.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/4rnk6rr3t/)
https://s20.postimg.org/c7mtsku8p/IMG_0358_-_Copy.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/c7mtsku8p/)
https://s20.postimg.org/424rufdpl/IMG_0363_-_Copy.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/424rufdpl/)