PDA

View Full Version : Conceal 5" 1911

Spade
10-10-08, 14:16
This may have be answered some where already but I couldn't find it. I have a few friends that carry shorter versions of the 1911. I have been kicking around the idea of carrying a full 5" 1911 my conceal carry. I currently carry an XD 45 ACP service model. I does ok but most of the printing issues are with the wider grip. Im a pretty good size guy 6'-2" & around 230 lb. So carry a somewhat larger gun is really not to difficult. If anynone is currently doing this I would like to know how you like, any problems you are having & what sort of holster you are using. Like wise if others are totally against the idea please be detailed in your response. Thanks for the help guys

markm
10-10-08, 14:26
Concealment was much easier when I was carrying a 1911. The 1911 is much thinner than a modern pistol. I just used a Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB holster most of the time.

Littlelebowski
10-10-08, 14:38
I've carried full size and Commander size at about 4:30. No problems.

Bigun
10-10-08, 14:47
Same height larger build but my Springer Loaded stainless dissapears into a Desantis cozy partner. My favorite size for a concealment peice is a commander length slide and a Officers model grip frame.

MarshallDodge
10-10-08, 14:48
I would suggest trying a 4.25" gun while you are shopping. When shooting a 4.25" I only feel a slight difference between it and a 5". Accuracy and velocity differences are not enough to concern me at defensive distances. Also check out a bobtailed model while you are at it. You can carry the gun canted forward and not get poked in the ribs when you bend in the guns direction.

I just used a Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB holster most of the time.
+1 for Milt Sparks.

SethB
10-10-08, 14:58
The Government Model is perfect for carry. I wouldn't go any smaller.

DocGKR
10-10-08, 15:03
The key with 1911's is to remember that they run best in the .45 ACP, 5", single stack, steel format. 1911's are quite easy to carry using a proper holster, like a Milt Sparks Heritage #1, Kramer #2, Custom Carry Concepts Looper, Alessi DOJ, or Raven Phantom. The biggest issue is the heavier weight of a steel 1911 compared to a polymer or aluminum frame pistol. This can be mitigated somewhat by using an alloy frame like the SA LW 1911 below, but this is a conscious choice to sacrifice durability for ease of carry:

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/postimages/57950-Rogers_SA_LW1911.jpg

While LW 1911 frames are not as durable as the steel ones--this may or may not be an issue depending on your practice schedule. If you are shooting less than 5000 rounds a year, either will likely work fine; with higher round counts, then you'll probably want to have a steel frame. This can also be worked around by having two otherwise identical 1911's--a steel one for practice, and a LW one for carry.

Hawkeye
10-10-08, 15:32
As already mentioned, carrying a fullsize 1911 is not a problem. The biggest thing, and its true regardless of the weapon, is to use a proper belt and holster. When selecting a belt and holster, cheap should not be anywhere in the equation. If your prefer leather, get a good GUN belt from someone like Sparks, Kramer, Galco, etc... Same with the holster. All the ones Doc mentioned are good.
I personally prefer kydex, and have long had great results using a Wilderness 5 stitch belt and a Blade Tech IWB holster for my Glocks and 1911.
Also, adapt you wardrobe to carrying, not your carrying to your wardrobe. Get your pants a big larger in the waist. Make sure the pants FIT. Get used to wearing a unbuttoned cover shirt, even in the summer, and that its loose enough to be cool, comfortable, and properly conceal the weapon, but not so large as to look sloppy or odd. Make sure your t-shirt underneath is more close fitting so as to not bunch up around the gun, and cause you to grab a handful of shirt along with the grip when drawing (found this out the hard way). One of the biggest mistakes I see people make in regards to concealed carry, is in their wardrobe (second only to belt/holster selection).

Chief_Wiggum
10-10-08, 16:16
My 5" 1911 conceals better for me than my G19. I'm 6'2" 215lbs and the 1911 just disappears. I carry it in an Alessi PCH (amazing holster, btw) with a Rafter S belt. I can wear it under a T-shirt even. With the 1911, the big factor is the weight. Make sure you wear a wide sturdy belt and get a quality holster and you'll be set.

buzby
10-10-08, 16:39
I'm 5'10" and 125#. My daily carry rig is; a 5" 1911 Springfield px9109l, in a Concealco iwb holster, and a wilderness 5 stitch belt. I feel comfortable with this setup while wearing anything other than a tight t-shirt.

RD62
10-10-08, 17:11
6'4" 235, SA fullsize all steel, Gov't Model, IWB.

No problems. As already mention besides the weight it's usually the grip that makes CCW difficult.

-RD62

sff70
10-10-08, 17:25
As others have mentioned, a 5" 1911 is very practical to conceal given a good holster and belt, and some thought as to attire.

Buy cheap holter/belt = buy twice.

I've been very satisfied with a Kramer IWB and a Bianchi pancake. I have a RCS on the way.

While I love my Commander, the 5" 1911s are inherently more reliable than the shorter models.

300LW
10-10-08, 17:54
Barrel length has little effect on concealability. The critical dimension is grip length (height of gun). Any good IWB holster should conceal well, I like to carry with the gun between belt and pants, sacrificing little concealability for much greater comfort.

BobM
10-10-08, 18:28
I use a Sparks SS-II and a Kramer Belt Scabbard with a Kimber Desert Warrior. Both conceal very well and are comfortable for all day (16 hour) carry.

RWK
10-10-08, 20:54
When I used to carry a 1911, I wore it in a Milt Sparks Roadrunner. I never had any issues keeping it concealed. As other people have already mentioned, you need a sturdy belt.

One of the best pieces of advice I've received regarding pistol selection for concealed carry was to carry the largest pistol you can conceal. If you can conceal a full size 1911, I say go for it.

John_Wayne777
10-10-08, 21:44
When I used to carry a 1911, I wore it in a Milt Sparks Roadrunner. I never had any issues keeping it concealed. As other people have already mentioned, you need a sturdy belt.

One of the best pieces of advice I've received regarding pistol selection for concealed carry was to carry the largest pistol you can conceal. If you can conceal a full size 1911, I say go for it.

Ironically, I find that the 1911 conceals better than most other handguns. The slim profile makes it tuck in well against your side, hiding easily under an untucked t-shirt.

...and now thanks to the innovators at Raven concealment, you can comfortably conceal 4 magazines for the 1911 using a quad mag carrier:

http://www.themalabarfront.com/images/Quad%20G9,%202.JPG

It's a bit bulky with double-stack mags...but it's perfect with single stacks like the 1911.

adh
10-10-08, 22:28
I'm 6'5 and 215lbs
I carry a 1911 Govt regularly. For me the problem is not the barrel length at all! It is the holster and printing. Just about any IWB I've ever tried (blade tech, sparks, galco, comptac) works well for concealed carry. I persoannly draw much better from Kydex than leather, and the comptac CTAC holds the pistol higher up and allowed for the best draw of any of them for me (I'm currently running a Sparks SSII though). The problem I get is with OWB holsters and printing. I usually wear T-shirts (over a tank top) hanging out over the belt, or a button up camp shirt (liek the Tommy Bahamas). Wearing a T-shirt, printing on the shirt is horrible with just about any OWB holster I've ever tried. With the camp shirts it is, however, much more forgiving. Yet, an OWB will reveal the muzzle end of the holster very easily any time I raise my arm(s). All this said, I also carry a G19 on occassion and have had the same issues regarding printing regardless of the shorter barrel/grip length. In my experience, if you were to use a good IWB, you'll have no problems carrying a full size 1911. What IWB??...For me it has been trial and error over a number of years to find what works best for me. I believe that concealment holsters, unlike a lot of other things we discuss here, are much more subjective in what will work best for the individual.

Stay safe and Best of luck,

ADH

and don't shy away from that 5" 1911

trio
10-11-08, 00:00
for me the best invention that has increased the concealability of a 1911 is the BOBTAIL MSH....

as many have said, the slim profile of the 1911 lends itself to concealability, and assuming you aren't overaly short, the extra barrel length down your waist isn't an issue....

the problem most people have, again as said, is the printing from the butt of the gun....

I am currently having Fusion Firearms build me a 5" 1911 with a bobtail on it....

to me, the two biggest things that screw up concealability on a 1911 are

1) the MSH/butt of the gun

and

2) the beavertail which many times will print...

get a good smith to make you a traditional, no beavertail 1911 w/ a bobtail and it'd be about the best of both worlds

having said all that, I am sticking w/ my G19....

even with a good belt I find a 1911 is just too damn heavy for me, much to my regret (i love the guns)...with everything I carry, and with (as my wife loves to point out) my white boy butt (or lack thereof) too much stuff on the belts and pockets equals my pants at my ankles...

POF.Ops
10-11-08, 00:47
I've tried to carry a 5" 1911 and the biggest problem I've had is the weight. Even with a wilson sharkskin belt and kramer holster. I'm 5'9" and 190lbs. Belt and holster make all the difference so stick with top tier makers and you should be fine. I find it much easier to carry my 3" alloy Kimber in a Sparks VMII.

lonewolf21
10-11-08, 01:05
i carry my full size springfield everyday. im a big guy too at 6'2 275lbs. i guess the way i dress makes it easier, button up shirt, jeans. i have been using a sidearmor iwb holster for years. combine that with a wilderness polymer lined ring belt and youve got it covered. love the extra weight, reminds me that carrying a gun is a bit of a discipline, and it should not be forgotten that your packing the power to save your life. thats my mindset anyway.

BAC
10-11-08, 02:13
I'm on and off campus too much to carry as much as I'd like, but when I do I carry a good ol' M1911A1, Liger belt, carried IWB in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II holster. I'd really like to get a Brommeland Max Con V, since it sits a little lower and cants a little more. I'd never be confused as "big", so every advantage I can get in concealment I take. Love my gun, trust my rig. You do notice that few pounds of steel at the end of the day though (well, 12+ hours of carrying anyway).

-B

JonInWA
10-11-08, 13:14
After much experimentation, my preference is to Blade-Tech's excellent IWB holster; I have had them made for both my 5" SIG GSR and my 4.25" Nighthawk Talon II. They work very well in terms of comfort, concealment, draw angle, support, and ease in both draw and re-holstering.

A quality belt is a crucial part of the concealment equation (in terms of both effectiveness and comfort); I've come to prefer Wilderness, 5.11 (excellent and inexpensive dress belt selection for carry), Kramer, and Galco.

Best, Jon

threeheadeddog
10-11-08, 13:19
I carry a full size 1911 in 10mm daily. The real trick for me was not the gun printing but the holster. I have used the milt sparks summer special and didnt like it due to the loops printing.
I now carry in a Wilson Combat featherweight. It is an ultra thin leather holster with a plastic low profile hook. Everyone I have shown this holster too likes it. It is a copy of a safariland design(I forget wich model but if you look at safarilands website it is obvious) but doensnt have the tension screw. Both my uncle and stepdad now use this holster though they use the safariland version, one for a fullsize aluminum framed springfield 1911 and one for a older model smith 5903 i think.

Spade
10-13-08, 07:18
Thanks for all the great feed back guys. That is exactly the information I was looking for. Sounds like the weight appears to be the only major issue I am hearing about. Sounds like I need to start shopping around. Thanks again for all the help

David Thomas
10-13-08, 08:10
I have been using a Nossar VALOVAK - IWB to carry a full size 1911 lately. I am using a Mitch Rosen 1.5" belt. A good belt goes a long way in helping with the weight of your pistol. In my experience, a 1911 is just as easy to conceal as a Glock 19.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/DavidThomas/Nossar2002.jpg

For weight comparison:

My 1911 (loaded with Corbon 200gr. DPX) set up with the Valovak weighs 3 pounds and 2.8 oz.

My Glock 19 (loaded) in a Comp-Tac M-Tac holster weighs 2 pounds and 3.2 oz.

My S&W model 37 (loaded) in a Mitch Rosen ARG weighs 1 pound 4.8 oz.

My S&W 642 (loaded) with CT grips in a renegade ankle holster weighs 1 pound 5.1 oz.

variablebinary
10-13-08, 09:01
I personally think 1911's carry better than most modern DA/SA double stack pistols. Same is true of the Hi-Power

Federale
10-13-08, 09:20
The advantage of the 1911 is that it is slim. The disadvantage is that its heavy. But a good holster and belt combo helps with the first and solves the second.

I also agree with what's been said about the LW frames. They're nicer to carry but you've got to consider how often you're going to shoot it. Durability and recoil are the main issues. But I think most people don't end up shooting often enough for it to become a factor (and I think the internet leads to some rather lofty claims about how many rounds actually get shot).

Littlelebowski
10-13-08, 09:21
I shot the hell out of my aluminum framed Kimber 5". Durability was not a concern nor is it now. A friend owns it and still shoots it.

LSK
10-13-08, 09:26
I am 5'9" 165lb and have been carrying a 5" 1911 in a IWB holster for thirty years. It conceals better than any other pistol I have ever carried.

motorcopm4
10-17-08, 06:52
I carry a SA lightweight Champion operator 4' in a UBG holster 99% of the time but can also carry my 5' its just a little too long when I sit down.

I'd recommend the www.ubgholsters.com the turn around was only 3 weeks for me can't beat that:eek:

rob_s
10-17-08, 07:35
The thoughts on concealing fullsize 1911s.

Milt Sparks Versa Max II. Live it, learn it, love it. While no one holster works for all people, this is the de facto holster for most people concealing a fullsize 1911.

I find that grip length is a bigger issue than barrel length. If I had to have just one, I'd go with an abbreviated grip length and the 5" barrel. As it is I generally opt for a lightweight officer and a steel fullsize to have two options.

I find that barrel length is only an issue when I'm sitting on my ass most of the day. If I spend at least half of my day in the field instead of in the office, the 5" gun is a non-issue.

I actually find it easier to conceal a 5" 1911 than I do a Glock 19.

Lumpy196
10-17-08, 12:16
The thoughts on concealing fullsize 1911s.

Alessi Versa Max II. Live it, learn it, love it.

You mean Milt Sparks, right?

rob_s
10-17-08, 12:38
You mean Milt Sparks, right?

Doh! Editing now.

Spade
10-17-08, 12:47
Thanks again guys for all the help. Like I said now comes the joy (or sometimes the pain) of shopping around for the new firearm. In the meantime I have also been checking out all the different holsters suggested.

Lumpy196
10-17-08, 13:03
Doh! Editing now.

Just wanted the truth you posted crystal clear ;)

Alpha Sierra
10-17-08, 16:54
Barrel length is not an issue if you carry IWB. The grip and how it prints are the biggest concealment headaches with handguns.

rob_s
10-17-08, 19:47
Barrel length is not an issue if you carry IWB. The grip and how it prints are the biggest concealment headaches with handguns.

I don't find this to be true.

If I spend too much time sitting, the barrel becomes extremely uncomfortable. It has nothing to do with concealability, and everything to do with comfort.

Alpha Sierra
10-17-08, 21:35

If I spend too much time sitting, the barrel becomes extremely uncomfortable. It has nothing to do with concealability, and everything to do with comfort.

Then it's a question of build because I can drive three hours with a S&W 4" N frame IWB with zero discomfort. A 4" N frame is as long or longer than a 5" 1911 since barrel measurement in semi autos includes the whole length of the chamber.

rob_s
10-17-08, 21:55
Driving I have no issue. I'm talking about sitting in a desk chair. Everyone is different, and I was just pointing out that your absolute statement of "Barrel length is not an issue if you carry IWB" is not actually an absolute (which your further statement of "it's a question of build" would support).

SeriousStudent
10-17-08, 22:29
Another vote for the Versa Max II, along with a Rafter S Leather belt. I use a Mitch Rosen carrier for a spare mag and a Surefire, and it's a very comfortable rig. I use it to tote a full-size Desert Warrior, and everything just works.

It just disappears under an untucked shirt on weekdays, or a blazer at church.

I am thinking about getting another holster, and start carrying the 1911 with the X300 I have. But I'm still looking for a good holster that I can carry IWB with that gun/light combo.

motorcopm4
10-18-08, 05:49

Agreed +1

Dualspringfields
10-18-08, 07:14
Carry a Springfield 1911 5" everyday.Winter I use a belt holster summertime IWB. I use Tucker Gun Leather holsters. I love them. They are well made and the guy is just a real nice fella. I wear the HF1 winter and the Answer IWB in the summer. http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/index.html

Check 'em out. And good luck.

1911pro
10-18-08, 08:08
I carry a Springfield Pro in a Milt Sparks HR-LTD inside the waistband. I am 5ft 10 and about 165 pounds. I carry just behind the hip with just a untucked t-shirt in the summer. No problem hiding it. I also use a Milt Sparks 1 1/4 belt. A good belt makes all the difference in the world.

mattpittinger
10-18-08, 09:19
I carry a full size Clark Custom Kimber every day. I use Milt Sparks Executive Comp. The holster is very comfortable, does not shift at all.

Sam
10-18-08, 16:40
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/T-1_005.jpg

A Glock 19 conceals very well in a Raven Phantom holster. The holster in the picture was made to fit an M&P full size but the Glock 19 fits like a glove. Raven make 1911 holsters too.