PDA

View Full Version : Front sight height question, M&P

nimdabew
11-07-17, 01:03
Is there an equation that I can use to determine what my front sight height should be?

I am trying to figure out what front sight height to use with my deltapoint pro with adjustable rear sight on the RDS for my M&P that I am having milled. I have heard everything from .436" to .460" and above. Dawson is willing to do a custom front sight for sight cost +$10 and I don't want to have to play "guess the height" with the rear sight. I want to have the most adjustment range for the rear sight with the optic irons, but the Dawson sight calculator only accounts for the front sight, not the rear.

When I get the slide back from ATEi, I can determine how deep the optic is milled into the slide, but won't know how high the front sight will be until then.

So, assuming I can find the middle point of the adjustment range of the rear sight, is there an easy way to figure out a front sight height without having an existing iron sight setup?

Side note, I will have my compact coming in soon so I can measure the height on those to get a rough idea of rear/front sight heights above the slide.

26 Inf
11-07-17, 12:37
Is there an equation that I can use to determine what my front sight height should be?

I am trying to figure out what front sight height to use with my deltapoint pro with adjustable rear sight on the RDS for my M&P that I am having milled. I have heard everything from .436" to .460" and above. Dawson is willing to do a custom front sight for sight cost +$10 and I don't want to have to play "guess the height" with the rear sight. I want to have the most adjustment range for the rear sight with the optic irons, but the Dawson sight calculator only accounts for the front sight, not the rear.

When I get the slide back from ATEi, I can determine how deep the optic is milled into the slide, but won't know how high the front sight will be until then.

So, assuming I can find the middle point of the adjustment range of the rear sight, is there an easy way to figure out a front sight height without having an existing iron sight setup?

Side note, I will have my compact coming in soon so I can measure the height on those to get a rough idea of rear/front sight heights above the slide.

First thing, where are you getting an adjustable M&P rear sight? I've been looking.

When you get your slide back could you shoot it with the rear sight you are going to use installed and the RMR removed from the mount, using the stock front sight? If you could shoot a group at ten yards - I think much further back than 10 and you might have trouble finding a piece of cardboard big enough - then use Dawson sight height calculator to figure the height you need. You will need to know the height of your front sight, though.

26 Inf
11-07-17, 12:38
doubled

MegademiC
11-07-17, 20:58
Measure front sight height
Measure rear sight.
Measure poi from poa.

The rest is some simple but tedious geometry, and you can plug and play different nights to see the effect.

My idiot operator pros are poi with the top of the front blade at 25yds.

nimdabew
11-08-17, 00:33
Ok, I think there is a little confusion here. I do not currently have a front sight. I want to know if I can plug numbers into an equation so I can get a proper front sight height instead of .436-.460+

Here is a picture of the adjustable rear sight in the Deltapoint pro.

https://1xajfw1icg7aoq9hbwm1lcrl-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/DPP-RIS.jpg

MegademiC
11-08-17, 07:18
Oh, I’m tracking now. Once we know the height of the rear from the slide, we could figure it out, assuming all m&p are the same.

The safe bet would be to zero the rds, and measure to the dot.
Maybe someone else has a better idea.

nimdabew
11-08-17, 16:09
That is not a bad idea. I can get a ruler on the front and overlap the rear and front, depending on how much of the window I want covered by the rear sight and order from there. Thanks!

nimdabew
12-18-17, 18:15
Ok, just got the slide back from ATEi and it looks amazing! Now, I have measured a few different places on the slide to get an idea of what I needed.

From the front of the optic, bottom of the window to the top of the slide, the measurement is .3100"

Center line of optic to top of the slide is ~.495"

I think a .440-.450" front sight would work best. Thoughts?