PDA

View Full Version : Storing LE6920 with the bolt back and firearm safety device through the magwell??

Wolf.545 x .39
11-07-17, 17:41
I have to store my Colt LE6920 with the bolt back so I can put a firearm safety device in through the magwell. It sits sideways attached to one of those old style home heaters. With the opening in the ejection port should I heavily lubricate that area because it is open due to the firearm safety device being through it. Will rust occur at 60 degree's. So far there has been no heat in the building I'm renting. Should I soak the bolt and chamber in Mobil 1? I want to keep this rifle rust free. I got the rifle new 11 months ago. Thanks

bamashooter
11-07-17, 17:48
Rust can occur at 60*. Keep the metals lubed with about any oil, corrosion inhibitor, grease.

5.56 Bonded SP
11-07-17, 18:05
Once in a while I spray out my guns with a garden hose because they get so filthy, I lube them normally after and store them away.
Never had a problem with rust doing as said above, even shooting corrosive ammo. So from my experience lubing normally will prevent any problems.

Just lube it like normal and don't worry about it. Your storage method sounds interesting, so you are basically locking it to a heater? Lol, I would figure out a different storage method personally. I would be more worried about the heater causing damage to my guns than rust.

Renegade0100
11-07-17, 18:29
Why store it like that anyhow?

As to answer your question, definitely keep it well-lubed to prevent rust from occurring. Grease may work better for long-term storage.

Wolf.545 x .39
11-07-17, 18:35
Once in a while I spray out my guns with a garden hose because they get so filthy, I lube them normally after and store them away.
Never had a problem with rust doing as said above, even shooting corrosive ammo. So from my experience lubing normally will prevent any problems.

Just lube it like normal and don't worry about it. Your storage method sounds interesting, so you are basically locking it to a heater? Lol, I would figure out a different storage method personally. I would be more worried about the heater causing damage to my guns than rust.

Living in poverty The heater is the only thing that is sturdy. Nobody can steal it. I'm living in a voardingvtype house so I have to.make sure my AR doesn't get stolen. I don't have it touching the heater itself. I was just thinking should I lube all metal parts? I have not shot this gun since buying new. I have no transportation to get to a range. I'm on disability.

Why store it like that anyhow?

As to answer your question, definitely keep it well-lubed to prevent rust from occurring. Grease may work better for long-term storage.

Should I lube even the barrel and chamber as well. This gun has only been fired by Colt as they supposedly test fire their Colt LE6920's unless I'm mistaken.

HeruMew
11-07-17, 18:46
Remember not to overlube.

Lube it all, but don't do so much that it's leaking oil. You don't need to go that far.

I don't blame you wanting to store your firearms in that manner. It's a great idea being in your situation.

No one should judge you any further, as it's every American's right (who is legally able to) to possess. At least you are being responsible in your situation.

Please though, as soon as you can, get out and shoot that rifle. Make sure it's sighted in.

I wish I was closer, I would absolutely advocate a ride back and forth to make sure you got to do so.

voiceofreason
11-07-17, 18:50
thin layer of oil over EVERYTHING metal

I wouldn't hesitate to keep some oil nearby so if it dries out over time and you need to use it, you won't be searching for lube

Wolf.545 x .39
11-07-17, 19:02
Remember not to overlube.

Lube it all, but don't do so much that it's leaking oil. You don't need to go that far.

I don't blame you wanting to store your firearms in that manner. It's a great idea being in your situation.

No one should judge you any further, as it's every American's right (who is legally able to) to possess. At least you are being responsible in your situation.

Please though, as soon as you can, get out and shoot that rifle. Make sure it's sighted in.

I wish I was closer, I would absolutely advocate a ride back and forth to make sure you got to do so.

Thanks. I'm living in a liberal big city in PA. Where officials despise me. A lot of crazy drug addicts and homicides also. I have it in my bedroom. If I lube all metal parts would it be a problem if I needed it for a serious situation? I just want to make sure this gun stays in great condition for years to come. It will be my bedside rifle along with my AK74.

I wouldn't hesitate to keep some oil nearby so if it dries out over time and you need to use it, you won't be searching for lube
Do guys lubricate the whole rifle in a heavy duty safe? A safe is what I want in my future.

I have a tube of EWL gun lube and Mobil 1 5w-30. Which one would be better to apply a thin layer of oil to? Also this rifle is not being kept in a damp basement. It is in a 2nd floor bedroom. I live in PA. And its starting to get cold.

5.56 Bonded SP
11-07-17, 19:36
Living in poverty The heater is the only thing that is sturdy. Nobody can steal it. I'm living in a voardingvtype house so I have to.make sure my AR doesn't get stolen. I don't have it touching the heater itself. I was just thinking should I lube all metal parts? I have not shot this gun since buying new. I have no transportation to get to a range. I'm on disability.

Ya, I could cut a cable gun lock with hand held wire strippers FYI. Your method is not very secure.
If you want it secure, get a safe. I bought a decent safe for just a few hundred bucks, then you can bolt the safe to the support beams of your walls/floors if you really wanted to, but if the safe is heavy enough don't worry about it.

Just a light thin coat of oil will be fine. DON'T shoot your gun with any lube in the barrel.
The Aluminum lower and upper receiver wont rust. Just lube the BCG, FCG, and steel parts. If you are really paranoid a light thin coat of oil on the outside of the barrel. Your chrome bore and chamber aren't going to rust.
Worry less, shoot more.
I highly doubt your gun is going to rust at all even with minimal oil.

joeyjoe
11-07-17, 19:38
Slip 2000 EWL? Would be an excellent option.

5.56 Bonded SP
11-07-17, 19:43
BTW, the best security is being discrete. Don't talk to your neighbors about guns or tell them you have any. Especially if you live in a shit neighborhood.

Wolf.545 x .39
11-07-17, 19:51
Ya, I could cut a cable gun lock with hand held wire strippers FYI. Your method is not very secure.
If you want it secure, get a safe. I bought a decent safe for just a few hundred bucks, then you can bolt the safe to the support beams of your walls/floors if you really wanted to, but if the safe is heavy enough don't worry about it.

Just a light thin coat of oil will be fine. DON'T shoot your gun with any lube in the barrel.
The Aluminum lower and upper receiver wont rust. Just lube the BCG, FCG, and steel parts. If you are really paranoid a light thin coat of oil on the outside of the barrel. Your chrome bore and chamber aren't going to rust.
Worry less, shoot more.
I highly doubt your gun is going to rust at all even with minimal oil.
Yes I know a safe is best. I do have a 100lb German Shepard being the door and I am almost ''Always'' home due to joblessness and disability. Still I go food shopping and I do worry about it. What makes it bad is that I'm living with a wretched former heroin addict who tells the neighbors everything. She is a crazy lady!!

BTW, the best security is being discrete. Don't talk to your neighbors about guns or tell them you have any. Especially if you live in a shit neighborhood.

Yes I would have been discreet about it but I was embroiled in a battle of ''Pure Hatred'' with the local police force who don't want citizens in their city owning guns. I publicized it on Facebook because it extremely pissed me off. Thousands were following me. Politics were plated against me so I kind of advertised it. Most of you guts don't live in a big city liberal police state. I challenged the police all by myself because they DO NOT control me! I had other rifle's anyway but they never knew it.

Yes I would have been discreet about it but I was embroiled in a battle of ''Pure Hatred'' with the local police force who don't want citizens in their city owning guns. I publicized it on Facebook because it extremely pissed me off. Thousands were following me. Politics were plated against me so I kind of advertised it. Most of you guts don't live in a big city liberal police state. I challenged the police all by myself because they DO NOT control me! I had other rifle's anyway but they never knew it.

I am a quiet guy but I publicized the rifle because where I live the police target gun owners. They tried to run me out of town because I was disrespecting them. But they started with me because they hate concealed carry citizens. I have been abusing them on the streets and on Facebook only because of the agenda they have. Oh Pennsylvania has a problem with the 3 biggest cities in the state regarding concealed carry and any other firearm. I was not being discreet because I don't take garbage from anyone. Hopefully Someone can sell me a safe cheap enough for my current place.

Voodoochild
11-07-17, 20:23
Keep it on point or it gets the hose again..

5.56 Bonded SP
11-07-17, 20:29
This isn't the best safe by any means, but it could stop your guns from being stolen, and alleviate any legal issues with the crazy room mate. http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/gun-storage/gun-safes/pc/104792580/c/104730480/sc/104369580/stack-on-gun-security-cabinet/1192870.uts?slotId=7
I would worry more about buying a gun safe then worrying about your guns rusting.

Wolf.545 x .39
11-07-17, 20:37
Keep it on point or it gets the hose again..

Yes I should have. I know I should have a safe. I'm gonna have to get one that is used that is somewhat cheap. I can't bolt it down because I'm renting acroom in my current place.

This isn't the best safe by any means, but it could stop your guns from being stolen, and alleviate any legal issues with the crazy room mate. http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/gun-storage/gun-safes/pc/104792580/c/104730480/sc/104369580/stack-on-gun-security-cabinet/1192870.uts?slotId=7
I would worry more about buying a gun safe then worrying about your guns rusting.

Thanks. I agree because where I live it would be drug crazed felons that would attempt to steal it. I'm almost always home but I'm still really comfortable uncomfortable when I have to leave the house despite my German Shepard. I'm def gonna check out your link. Thanks

Iraqgunz
11-07-17, 20:54
This one is baked like Colorado brownies.