PDA

View Full Version : thought you guys would like this...

dlraymond30
11-08-17, 09:27
Im gonna get one.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spike-s-Tactical-Lower-Multi-Pipe-Hitters-Union-p/sp-stls024.htm

-Darrin

RVTMaverick
11-08-17, 09:44
NAaa, I'd rather buy this one for less money and comes with the "Integral trigger guard" (^_-)

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/_p/SP-STLS031.htm

or this one https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/_p/SP-STLS022.htm

However, IF I really was going to buy one, I'd get 2 of these for less money then 1 of the others https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/_p/ANDER-LOWER-CLOSED.htm

Hulkstr8
11-08-17, 09:47
I was under the impression that folks around here hate Spike's Tactical.

bugsy714
11-08-17, 09:50
Is there a reason people don't like spikes?

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

ghostly
11-08-17, 10:10
I wouldn't buy Anderson anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krazykarl
11-08-17, 10:16
Pass...

bugsy714
11-08-17, 10:17
Still curious why people don't like them

Jewell
11-08-17, 10:38
Still curious why people don't like them

B/c their stuff is usually pretty overpriced for what it is, and usually appeals to a certain crowd. With that said, I do own a build with a Spikes lower. I didn't get it b/c it had a punisher roll mark, or b/c it was shaped like a skull. I got a plain Jane dueling dicks one b/c it was available to me at the time, and actually came at a good price. I just made sure to put a good lpk (BCM) into it. So far it's held up just fine, and given me 0 issues.

26 Inf
11-08-17, 11:49
I think that most of Spike's designs appeal to a segment of owners that isn't heavily represented on the forum. That doesn't mean those folks should go away, it just means they are going to hear some negatives.

I will say that JoeBob's ships fast and is pretty good about inventory control. I live about 120 miles from them and generally get something I ordered one to two days later. They definitely get the orders filled and shipped in a timely manner.

JMO

Wake27
11-08-17, 11:52
I need to start keeping track of all the issues I see with Spikes, there were at least two different people just the other day I'm pretty sure.

556BlackRifle
11-08-17, 11:58
Pass!!

Kain
11-08-17, 12:25
I need to start keeping track of all the issues I see with Spikes, there were at least two different people just the other day I'm pretty sure.

What were the issues?

Last I checked the main issue a number had with Spikes was regarding past business practices. Similar to CTD after SH.

^Rb
11-08-17, 12:35
Spikes is decent stuff, but you'll get no love for it on M4C -- it is what it is.

Personally, in a depressed market (AR15's in 2017), I'm only interested in buying "blue chips" as an investment vehicle (Colt, KAC, etc.).

Wake27
11-08-17, 12:38
What were the issues?

Last I checked the main issue a number had with Spikes was regarding past business practices. Similar to CTD after SH.

I'll post if I run across them again, I don't even remember where they came up. Definitely reliability issues though. I just don't pay much attention because most of the gimmicky lowers they make are pretty douchey IMO.

tehpwnag3
11-08-17, 13:46
I agree with all of this. They also had some shady shit going on with their production certs a while back, but I think they sorted that out. Would be nice to know if they have or haven't.

I was under the impression that folks around here hate Spike's Tactical.

B/c their stuff is usually pretty overpriced for what it is, and usually appeals to a certain crowd. With that said, I do own a build with a Spikes lower. I didn't get it b/c it had a punisher roll mark, or b/c it was shaped like a skull. I got a plain Jane dueling dicks one b/c it was available to me at the time, and actually came at a good price. I just made sure to put a good lpk (BCM) into it. So far it's held up just fine, and given me 0 issues.

I think that most of Spike's designs appeal to a segment of owners that isn't heavily represented on the forum. That doesn't mean those folks should go away, it just means they are going to hear some negatives.

Spikes is decent stuff, but you'll get no love for it on M4C -- it is what it is.

Personally, in a depressed market (AR15's in 2017), I'm only interested in buying "blue chips" as an investment vehicle (Colt, KAC, etc.).

556BlackRifle
11-08-17, 13:48
These are GTG and only about $1 difference in price.

https://www.rainierarms.com/mega-forged-lower/

RVTMaverick
11-08-17, 14:35

Sweeeet!:D & Thanks ;) :cool:

Stickman
11-08-17, 14:40
Is there someone who still thinks the "pipe hitter" me too crowd is cool?

Diamondback
11-08-17, 15:21
Pffft. For less than the cost of a gaudy-ass Spike's I'll just buy a forged EPL and cut my own. (Which I'd do anyway even if Spike's WERE in EPL price territory... the only reason I have an Anderson is that it was what the owner of a local board could get for a Group Buy site fundraiser. I'm thinking if he ever gets to a next round with better lowers, I'll kick that one over to a dedicated .22LR... it's a range plinker, not a Bet My Ass On.)

Iraqgunz
11-08-17, 16:11
People should be more concerned about putting stuff together correctly with the correct parts and not some gimmicky markings.

bamashooter
11-08-17, 19:47

I will say that JoeBob's ships fast and is pretty good about inventory control. I live about 120 miles from them and generally get something I ordered one to two days later. They definitely get the orders filled and shipped in a timely manner.

JMO

More and more JoeBob's is my go to. Good prices more than not, good inventory, and speedy shipping. But a couple of days ago I shopped elsewhere when a particular trigger was discounted 40.00 +.

MegademiC
11-08-17, 20:24
People should be more concerned about putting stuff together correctly with the correct parts and not some gimmicky markings.

...and nothing says gimmicky like a logo and name that is going for the “hardass” crowd.

My very limited experience with Spikes was positive, but stuff like this is a turn-off.

Centuion, KAC, and BCM seem to perform just fine and they don’t even have a punisher skull or Jolly Roger offering. Hmm.

Colt and DD are actually used by the most serious of users, and the guns seem to take lives just fine without having “pipe-hitter” on the side.

CRAMBONE
11-09-17, 00:09
The Pipe Hitters Union stuff was cool 5 years ago. Now not so much.

Two reasons Spikes isn’t liked (at least for me), first they price gouged during the two Obama elections just like CTD. And I refuse to spend money on their stuff for that reason. Second is the “fighting dicks” logo.

Kdubya
11-09-17, 01:10

I've been doing the same type of tracking, but for BCM and Colt. Mostly because they're both given the little kid gloves treatment whenever a problem is mentioned. In the past 6-9 months I've probably logged a little over a dozen unique instances of BCM issues, and about half that amount for Colt.

They make good rifles/components. My intent in tracking their "goofs" isn't meant to prove otherwise. It's just that the "they can do no wrong, shut it down" parade gets a bit tiresome for someone who values objectivity.

I know there's a line between baseless mudslinging and legitimate criticism. But, frankly, the propensity to err on the side of diminishing legitimate criticism (of select mfgs/brands) is disconcerting. I cringe every time unequivocal "good to go" advice is given to a new prospective AR owner when they ask about certain brands. It conveys that one can simply buy a certain rifle, take it out of the box, load up a mag, stash it in a safe, and it'll be ready if called upon. There are plenty of examples in which that belief would leave one in bad shape if a serious need arose for that firearm.

I know that "trust but verify" goes without saying for more serious shooters and many of those who frequent the forums. In reality, that knowledge is not a given for a lot of gunowners. Ultimately, that's on them. But, minimizing legitimate issues and inferring absolute reliability doesn't do those type of people any favors.

kwelz
11-09-17, 01:23
Is there someone who still thinks the "pipe hitter" me too crowd is cool?

My shop has gotten so many requests for them that they finally broke down and got some of the lowers to use to build guns for people.

RVTMaverick
11-09-17, 07:40

Two reasons Spikes isn’t liked (at least for me), first they price gouged during the two Obama elections just like CTD. And I refuse to spend money on their stuff for that reason. Second is the “fighting dicks” logo.

I'm sorry to have to ask this question but.... CTD.... Who is this?:o

Kain
11-09-17, 07:46

Cheaper than Dirt.

dlraymond30
11-09-17, 07:49
So paying $150-$250 for a stripped lower that has "Colt M4" or "Knights Armament" is OK and had nothing to do with vanity but wanting a jolly Roger or zombie is? Huh...
OK everyone that has spikes stuff they don't want because it's spikes please lemme know! It's sure to be super duper cheap because they are terrible, right?
Just yankin your chains guys, no offense intended.
BTW can anyone elaborate on why spikes is so vilified on here? They use FN chf and non-chf barrels and make all their products to the exact standards that colt, bum etc does... And EVERY manufacturer "price gouged".... That's capitalism! I mean, $600+ for a bcm kind upper? Why? Because we are willing to pay that... When it hits the fan and there is a banning scare, they will increase dramatically and guess what? We'll pay it.

Diamondback
11-09-17, 07:49

"Cheaper Than Dirt." Rather unsavory, skeevy vendor known for ripoff shipping rates and no-friend-of-ours business practices.

Post-Sandy Hook:
http://www.theblaze.com/news/2012/12/18/online-gun-retailer-cheaper-than-dirt-suspends-firearm-sales/
http://www.guns.com/2012/12/19/and-so-the-shooting-world-says-good-riddance-to-cheaper-than-dirt/
http://1776patriotusa.com/cheaper-than-dirt-boycott-continues/

#NeverForgive - a $60 Pmag (not the drum; a D60 at that price is a steal) is just BULLSHIT.

tehpwnag3
11-09-17, 08:49
Spike's had issues with being forthright with their production certifications. Some pretty knowledgeable people took them to task on their certs and it was kind of a shit show until the certs finally came out some time later. It's been awhile since I've last looked back on that saga, but I remember it being pretty shady "don't look over there" type stuff.

During the panic, it wasn't just "capitalism". When you cancel existing orders, jack up your prices, and pretty much force your customer base to pay more than what they were already in line for, that's ****ing crooked and greedy. That's not the same thing as posting a bolt carrier group on GB and having potential buyers bidding it up to $500.

So paying $150-$250 for a stripped lower that has "Colt M4" or "Knights Armament" is OK and had nothing to do with vanity but wanting a jolly Roger or zombie is? Huh...
OK everyone that has spikes stuff they don't want because it's spikes please lemme know! It's sure to be super duper cheap because they are terrible, right?
BTW can anyone elaborate on why spikes is so vilified on here? They use FN chf and non-chf barrels and make all their products to the exact standards that colt, bum etc does... And EVERY manufacturer "price gouged".... That's capitalism! I mean, $600+ for a bcm kind upper? Why? Because we are willing to pay that... When it hits the fan and there is a banning scare, they will increase dramatically and guess what? We'll pay it.

MegademiC
11-09-17, 09:17

Capitalism also means we can shop where we want. You can’t love capitalism for jacking up prices and vilify it at the same time when people don’t support your business anymore.

Wake27
11-09-17, 10:50
BTW can anyone elaborate on why spikes is so vilified on here? They use FN chf and non-chf barrels and make all their products to the exact standards that colt, bum etc does... And EVERY manufacturer "price gouged".... That's capitalism! I mean, $600+ for a bcm kind upper? Why? Because we are willing to pay that...

Please don’t start this.

titsonritz
11-09-17, 12:59
the only reason I have an Anderson is that it was what the owner of a local board could get for a Group Buy site fundraiser.

I just couldn't bring myself to do it but have wondered how many, if any, had issues with those lowers.

^Rb
11-09-17, 13:01

In short, supply & demand. Colt & KAC lowers double as investment vehicles because they fetch a premium on the secondary market (particularly during demand shocks; e.g. when the Libs try to gun-grab via legislation). They're known quality and they don't make as many of 'em as Spikes does and never sold them for budget prices (brand dilution).

Personally, I'm not one to vilify Spikes' stuff -- it's decent, for what it is, but again, you'll get no love for it on this board. It is what it is.

titsonritz
11-09-17, 13:06
#NeverForgive - a $60 Pmag (not the drum; a D60 at that price is a steal) is just BULLSHIT.

They had them for $100 and yeah it was complete bullshit

titsonritz
11-09-17, 13:07

Not even sure how cool it was then.

Petty much sums up Spikes for me as well.

Diamondback
11-09-17, 13:16
I just couldn't bring myself to do it but have wondered how many, if any, had issues with those lowers.
Stipulating that mine has ONLY seen dry-fire testing, I haven't had any problems with it other than having to hammer the takedown pins both in and out the first few times.

To the peanut gallery: titsonritz is another member of the site I referred to. A little Inside Baseball here. :)

RVTMaverick
11-09-17, 15:29
[QUOTE=Diamondback;2559502]Stipulating that mine has ONLY seen dry-fire testing, I haven't had any problems with it other than having to hammer the takedown pins both in and out the first few times.

[QUOTE]

Hey DiamondBack,

I have to say, I would much rather have them being too tight, as compared to being too lose..;)

ghostly
11-09-17, 15:44

I have. Multiple times. I've helped friends assembled them who wanted as cheap a rifle as they could get. I've seen trigger guard pins misaligned and undersized. I've also seen bolt catch holes drilled at an angle.

AKS-74U
11-09-17, 18:28
I think the bad rep comes from people buying the lowers because they like the way they look, and the "aesthetics first" crowd tends to suck at building guns, so we end up with Spikes lowers on guns that don't run well.

C-grunt
11-09-17, 22:37
I wont buy Anderson anymore. I had two lowers that had hole alignment and other fitment issues. Saving 40 bucks over am Aero isn't worth the hassle to me.