PDA

View Full Version : CZ SP-01 Phantom vs P-09 ... need opionions

redsnake
11-08-17, 10:59
So I've been thinking about getting another Duty Sized 9mm and want a DA/SA, not striker fired pistol. I'm a big fan of the CZ lineup and would like the weight savings of the Polymer frames of these 2 along w/the large mag capacity.

I haven't been able to lay hands on either of these pistols at my local gun shops so thought I'd ask here as I value the knowledge most of you guys/gals have. I like the looks of the P-09's hammer and trigger more, but like the beaver tail and apparent grip of the SP-01 better. I wish I could combine the hammer and trigger of the 09 to the 01 and that would be my ideal pistol (assuming since I haven't shot either). I'm not really looking to do a lot of mods/custom work on the pistol to start with, just shoot the heck out of it right out of the box.

I get the feeling it may be a wash and just get the one I can get a better buy on, but what is your opinion if you've handled both?

Sam
11-08-17, 11:09
I've handled both guns and curious about both guns. I am a huge fan of the P07, which is the compact version of the 09. There is virtually very little weight difference between the 09 and the SP01 Phantom. The difference is in the magazines. The SP series use the more readily available CZ75 magazines, while the 09 use its own magazine. Trigger reach for me is about the same for both guns. Between the two, I voted for the SP01 Phantom due to the more readily available and cheaper magazines.

But if you want to throw in the all metal SP01 Tactical, I would go with that. Your reason may be different. But my use for the gun would be for shooting matches, training, practicing, etc. Not for carry. So I would want the heaviest chunk of metal to soften the already light recoil 9mm. Basically I choose the SP01 Tactical (metal) as a game gun.

bulldozer3
11-08-17, 11:24
You can swap the trigger, hammer, etc on the phantom, see CZ custom and Cajun Gun Works.

Both great guns and can be made ever sweeter by the above two places. One thing to consider, trigger work on the p09 is easy to DIY. I do my own p09 work, but send my older 75 styles (like the phantom) out for them to do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

redsnake
11-08-17, 11:28
Thanks guys. I should've mentioned in my original post that I currently have a Spinx SDP Compact that is similar to the SP-01 models and I love the way it shoots... part of the reason I'm looking at getting a larger/duty sized CZ. I was wondering how the internals of the 2 pistols differed and if one was better/easier/simpler than the other. I like doing my own tinkering and if I can do that it adds an additional 'check' to that pistol.

To be honest, this is going to be a WANT IT pistol and 'fun gun' more than anything else. :)

Kenneth
11-08-17, 12:27
Get the P09.

I️ have a SP01 Shadow, P01, P09, and a P07.

The P09 is the softest shooting one of them all and the urban grey comes with extensions where it holds 21 rounds in a mag. It’s fun to shoot suppressed as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SomeOtherGuy
11-08-17, 12:33
Between your two choices I'd get the SP-01. But I'd rather have a metal SP-01 or just a CZ-75B, for the same reasons Sam stated.

I currently own/shoot a CZ-75BD and a P-07. Both good, but very different from each other. I prefer the original CZ grip shape over the P-07, and as noted CZ-75 mags are more available - they also cost about half as much!

dwhitehorne
11-08-17, 16:25
I voted P09. Out of the box I think the P09 has a nicer trigger. Both can be made great but we have been mentioned I also think the P09 is easier to work on. I also like the shape of the P09 trigger over the more curved SP01. Good luck with your choice. David

ritepath
11-08-17, 18:31
I found a FDE p-09 several years back at a fun show, it's been my HD pistol ever since. It's as accurate as my 75...If it's true the phantoms mags fit my 75 and P-01 I'd have to go with the Phantom.

That being said cheaper option, Mec-Gar mags can be bought for the Phantom, I'm not so sure about the 09 mags, you may be stuck buying factory mags.

C-grunt
11-08-17, 19:28
I work with a Team CZ shooter. Her preference is a SP01 Phantom for competing. She'll straight up embarrass you with that gun.

Edit: Might be the SP01 Shadow actually...

Kenneth
11-08-17, 21:02
I work with a Team CZ shooter. Her preference is a SP01 Phantom for competing. She'll straight up embarrass you with that gun.

Edit: Might be the SP01 Shadow actually...

I’m willing to bet she is shooting a Shadow and maybe a Shadow 2.

If you want a all metal gun get a Shadow for sure. You have to carry it cocked and locked or with the hammer down. There is no decocker. The P09 can be carried either way.

I️ still vote P09. They are just too easy to shoot.

SomeOtherGuy
11-08-17, 21:11
I’m willing to bet she is shooting a Shadow and maybe a Shadow 2.
If you want a all metal gun get a Shadow for sure. You have to carry it cocked and locked or with the hammer down. There is no decocker. The P09 can be carried either way.
I️ still vote P09. They are just too easy to shoot.

Obviously the only solution is to buy both, or all three. That's what a CZ owner is eventually going to do anyway, why not start out that way?

Kenneth
11-08-17, 22:22
Obviously the only solution is to buy both, or all three. That's what a CZ owner is eventually going to do anyway, why not start out that way?

Very true.

I️ started with a Shadow and then a P01. Then a P07 and then a P09. Then I️ needed an SBR so obviously a Scorpion. Haha.

Now I’m waiting on a Precision trainer .22.

GaryXD
11-09-17, 15:24
I have owned both. Still have the P-09.
I bought the Phantom to use in IDPA competition. I found that the standard capacity mags would not drop free reliably in my gun. The 19rd mags worked just fine, but they're too long to fit in the IDPA box. YMMV.

ritepath
11-09-17, 18:35

True...I started with the P-09, then 75, and a few months ago P-01...I only need one more either a SP-01 or just bite the bullet and go Shadow 2.

Kenneth
11-09-17, 18:54
True...I started with the P-09, then 75, and a few months ago P-01...I only need one more either a SP-01 or just bite the bullet and go Shadow 2.

Shadow 2 duh!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171110/c563db0ba3d5ccc2f0b5587cbb98dbb3.jpg

Not my gun but I️ sure want to buy it lol.