PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Semi-Auto Shotgun in New Jersey

veteran-USMC
11-09-17, 11:48
Gentlemen 2 days ago NJ elected a new Democratic Gov. who stated NJ will have stricter & tougher Gun Laws-will try to ban AR-15 rifles. I am looking into purchasing a semi-auto shotgun! I follow the rule of buying what my wife(5'tall & 135lbs.) can handle.
What do shooters think of Mossbergs 20SA semi-auto shotgun? Also can a woman the size of my wife handle a Berreta 1300 semi-auto shotgun? Ranges in NJ don't rent shotguns in my area-- so its you have to know for sure what will work for your needs!
Any suggestions on the above along with any recommended semi-auto shotguns that are reliable .This shotgun will be used solely for Home Defense.

PS I am a former Marine Veteran who has a lot of rifle experience & limited shotgun experience!

Kain
11-09-17, 12:42
Looking for hunting or HD guns? I know the Beretta is pretty well regarded. But, no experience with the mossberg model. Also, some light 20s are worse to shoot than a little larger 12 depending on load and buttpad.

Where in NJ are you? I know last few times I been there the stores that I visited had a rather short selection to even handle, tgat said, Sarco has a bunch of shotguns of various models, lots of hunting guns, but others as well and some pretty cheap. They next to the Heritage guild which while theur prices aren't great has a decent gun selection and possibly ability to rent, I dont know honestly. Both right across the NJ/PA border in PA.

veteran-USMC
11-09-17, 13:11
Looking for hunting or HD guns? I know the Beretta is pretty well regarded. But, no experience with the mossberg model. Also, some light 20s are worse to shoot than a little larger 12 depending on load and buttpad.

Where in NJ are you? I know last few times I been there the stores that I visited had a rather short selection to even handle, tgat said, Sarco has a bunch of shotguns of various models, lots of hunting guns, but others as well and some pretty cheap. They next to the Heritage guild which while theur prices aren't great has a decent gun selection and possibly ability to rent, I dont know honestly. Both right across the NJ/PA border in PA.
This shotgun will be used for Home Defense. Have you ever shot a Berreta 1301 Tactical? I reside close to Toms River. Thank-you for your attention!

GH41
11-09-17, 14:28
Like Kain said.. Most 20ga guns hurt more because they are lighter. 5' at 135 doesn't sound like she is frail but a shotgun isn't worth a damn if she doesn't practice with it. If it hurts her she won't do much practicing. I highly recommend lightweight 38cal revolvers for smaller people. A 642 S&W would be a good choice. BTW, I wouldn't recommend any Mossberg SA for home defence.

TomMcC
11-09-17, 15:35
deleted

sjc3081
11-09-17, 16:38
I though the Beretta 1301 was a range toy due to the magazine dump button fatal flaw

veteran-USMC
11-09-17, 16:46
I though the Beretta 1301 was a range toy due to the magazine dump button fatal flaw

You are correct with that fatal flaw! I was told that a gunsmith could easily fix that button

gunnerblue
11-09-17, 16:50
I've shot a Remington Versamax in competition for the past few years. Very reliable and relatively soft-shooting.

WickedWillis
11-09-17, 18:33
Are you unable to get a Benelli M4, or M2 in NJ?

Code3Patriot
11-09-17, 19:18
The fix for the 1301 "fatal flaw".

http://www.aridusindustries.com/products/yt-1301-latch-and-shroud/

veteran-USMC
11-09-17, 19:30
Are you unable to get a Benelli M4, or M2 in NJ?

I can get either shotgun. The M4 is close to $2600.00-wow!

veteran-USMC
11-09-17, 19:31
The fix for the 1301 "fatal flaw".

http://www.aridusindustries.com/products/yt-1301-latch-and-shroud/

Many thanks for this info! Might help me swing towards the 1301

Kain
11-09-17, 23:56
This shotgun will be used for Home Defense. Have you ever shot a Berreta 1301 Tactical? I reside close to Toms River. Thank-you for your attention!

No idea where Tom's River is. But if you are Close to Easton, it might be worth the day trip.

Like Kain said.. Most 20ga guns hurt more because they are lighter. 5' at 135 doesn't sound like she is frail but a shotgun isn't worth a damn if she doesn't practice with it. If it hurts her she won't do much practicing. I highly recommend lightweight 38cal revolvers for smaller people. A 642 S&W would be a good choice. BTW, I wouldn't recommend any Mossberg SA for home defence.

While I don't generally recommend shotguns for anything other than clays or hunting, and I say that having shot an inordinate amount of clays, for a woman, not knowing her proficiency with firearms, a .38 subnose is probably below a shotgun in the guns I would recommend for the same reason I generally don't care for light weight 20s, they recoil and aren't pleasant to shoot. And while something is better than nothing, get the girl something she likes shooting, especially for HD, because then she will want to shoot it and will practice with it.

Anyway, OP, can I ask why the desire for a semi auto shotgun for HD over something else? Like even a NJ legal AR with 15 round mags? Or are you banking on the shotguns not getting ****ed with by the new dickgrabber, I mean governor?

veteran-USMC
11-10-17, 09:02
No idea where Tom's River is. But if you are Close to Easton, it might be worth the day trip.

While I don't generally recommend shotguns for anything other than clays or hunting, and I say that having shot an inordinate amount of clays, for a woman, not knowing her proficiency with firearms, a .38 subnose is probably below a shotgun in the guns I would recommend for the same reason I generally don't care for light weight 20s, they recoil and aren't pleasant to shoot. And while something is better than nothing, get the girl something she likes shooting, especially for HD, because then she will want to shoot it and will practice with it.

Anyway, OP, can I ask why the desire for a semi auto shotgun for HD over something else? Like even a NJ legal AR with 15 round mags? Or are you banking on the shotguns not getting ****ed with by the new dickgrabber, I mean governor?

Good Morning Shooter! Presently I own a Tavor X95 -5.56 cal, rifle--sweetest rifle I have shot in my entire life. At 500 yards in the Marines I could hit the bullseye with a Colt M16--this rifle is even more accurate.
A N.J. Dem. Senator -Loretta Weinberg proposed banning the following list of guns in NJ-

w. "Assault firearm" means:
(1) The following firearms:
Algimec AGM1 type
Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder such as the "Street Sweeper" or "Striker 12"
Armalite AR-180 type
Australian Automatic Arms SAR
Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms
Beretta AR-70 and BM59 semi-automatic firearms
Bushmaster Assault Rifle
Calico M-900 Assault carbine and M-900
CETME G3
Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88 type
Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series
Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1 and Max 2, AR 100 types
Demro TAC-1 carbine type
Encom MP-9 and MP-45 carbine types
FAMAS MAS223 types
FN-FAL, FN-LAR, or FN-FNC type semi-automatic firearms
Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12 shotguns
G3SA type
Galil type Heckler and Koch HK91, HK93, HK94, MP5, PSG-1
Intratec TEC 9 and 22 semi-automatic firearms
M1 carbine type
M14S type
MAC 10, MAC 11, MAC 11-9mm carbine type firearms
PJK M-68 carbine type
Plainfield Machine Company Carbine
Ruger K-Mini-14/5F and Mini-14/5RF
SIG AMT, SIG 550SP, SIG 551SP, SIG PE-57 types
SKS with detachable magazine type
Spectre Auto carbine type
Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48 type
Sterling MK-6, MK-7 and SAR types
Steyr A.U.G. semi-automatic firearms
USAS 12 semi-automatic type shotgun
Uzi type semi-automatic firearms
Valmet M62, M71S, M76, or M78 type semi-automatic firearms

Weaver Arm Nighthawk.

Thank-fully our past Gov-Christy vetoed this proposal.
A new Gov is in town-Gov. Murphy a Dem. who says he's going to reverse all of Christ's veto's!

My Tavor X95 is legal along with the AR-15 rifles. I wonder if this new Gov bans all AR-15 weapon systems if the companies who made such weapons can make them legal again? A few years ago NJ banned all AR-15 rifles and the companies of these weapons found ways to make them legal again. Truthfully I wish I was better at law so I could understand what just might happen in NJ. This Tavor cost me $1800.00 & I don't wish to lose this fine rifle. I,m just wondering if my weapon ends up being banned if you can still use it for home defense in a lethal encounter.

Your 500% right about points you made about a woman shooting a shotgun verus a Tavor rifle> my wife loves the Tavor and is dam accurate with this beauty of a rifle.
PS Having fought for this country to have freedom is a joke because in NJ they are trying to take away all our 2nd amendment rights. Any opinions you have about the fore-mentioned -please share.

Time for more coffee!

CRAMBONE
11-10-17, 11:01
I would buy the Beretta.

I highly recommend lightweight 38cal revolvers for smaller people. A 642 S&W would be a good choice.

You are probably in the minority on that.

SpyderMan2k4
11-10-17, 11:10
I've been splitting time for the last couple years between two 1301s. They are lightweight and easy to handle. My 5'2 wife is relatively recoil sensitive and doesn't have an issue shooting them.

They've been incredibly reliable. One has roughly 4,000 rounds through it. I can only remember one issue - a fte toward the end of a class when it was completely dry. A little lube and it's been excellent since. The other has about 2,000 rounds through it and had a few issues (FTEs) in class a few weeks ago, but that was when shooting from odd positions and ever single gun had issues (870s, 590s, 1301s, M4s, etc).

They also are inexpensive compared to a Benelli. At this point the 1301 is worth looking into, it has a lot going for it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Arik
11-10-17, 11:49

It's out by the ocean. Not far from LBI, Seaside Hights, Point Pleasant. If you drew a straight line west you'd wind up in center City Philly. Easton would be about 1.5hr drive

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

WickedWillis
11-10-17, 12:13
I can get either shotgun. The M4 is close to $2600.00-wow!

They can be had for about $1600 if you dig.

HMM
11-10-17, 21:26
I caught my M2 3 gun on sale for 1200 a few weeks ago. It was the 21" model and not the new version (24" barrel) but I was okay with that. I was very happy to snatch it up for that price!

SeriousStudent
11-10-17, 22:27
I'd get the 1301, if it's in your budget.

Mine has been extremely reliable, and I don't pamper my defensive shotguns.

https://i.imgur.com/TgVVb8L.jpg

Screwball
11-11-17, 07:07
A N.J. Dem. Senator -Loretta Weinberg proposed banning the following list of guns in NJ

Just a heads up, that list is currently illegal... and has been the case since the early 1990s.

ARs aren’t illegal, unless it is a Colt with “AR-15” or “CAR-15” or has more that one evil feature (pistol grip, collapsible/folding stock, flash hider, grenade launcher, bayonet lug). NJ still has an active assault weapons ban on the books, which includes shotguns and pistols.

What happens after Murphy gets in is fair game... and probably will be on the level of California. I was here for the election (voted, as did my entire family and girlfriend; also talked a few people she works with out of voting if they were leaning Murphy), but will likely be leaving NJ within the next few months.

Semi-auto shotguns are tricky with NJ law. While the law reads you can only have one of four features (magazine over 6 rounds, detachable magazine, pistol grip, collapsible/folding stock), other parts of the law state the the pistol grip on a semi-auto shotgun is flat out illegal. It is complicated for a reason.

While a semi-auto shotgun is a good investment, if NJ proposes a law, grandfathering will likely not be included. That means all the guns/magazines people are buying will be illegal. Just something to consider... not saying to keep it and break the law, but pointing it out. Personally, I’d have to get some guns out of NJ (godmother lives in PA, so a cheap sheet metal safe and I’m good). If it occurs when I’m out of state before moving (FLETC), I’ll lock everything questionable in one safe and take both dial lock keys.

Even if I wasn’t already planning on leaving NJ, I’d likely be doing it now. I already know that I’ll probably be storing rifles/magazines that my father currently owns when I leave... at least until my parents get out of the state.

Kain
11-11-17, 10:38
It's out by the ocean. Not far from LBI, Seaside Hights, Point Pleasant. If you drew a straight line west you'd wind up in center City Philly. Easton would be about 1.5hr drive

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yeah, asked some family over there and got a general idea. Be honest, I grew up over there, and try to avoid going over there as much as possible. After living in the deep south and then looking at moving somewhere where pizza wasn't some sort of mystery dish I had a good bit of family wanting me to move back to NJ. Kindly explained that 2/3rds of my guns, over 100 mags, and probably 5K of ammo was straight up illegal in that place they still didn't understand that taxes, lack of jobs, ect also had me looking much stronger at PA. You'd have to pay me stupid money to work in NJ, let along live there.

Damn, that nice looking. One of the nicer set up semi defensive guns I've seen. And this coming from a guy who has been trying to get a 870P for myself. Of course I looking at a used 870, or possible another 17 locally for like $350. Always when I broke the gun deals pop up.

Anyway, OP I got your PM, I think screwball kind of covered what I was going to be getting at. Which is with what is currently legal there, and the fact that you'd need a crystal ball, a time machine, and divine intervention and not be able to predict what and how they would ban guns there isn't a whole lot of safe bets. I'd be one saying that if you have the X95 and like it then run that, slap a light on it, and train. To me a shotgun, for HD, is almost on the level of a revolver as to the amount of time and effort you have to put in it to be good, not some much getting shots, but getting the gun back in the fight once it goes dry, or god forbid goes down. An AR, a Tavor, even an AK, are pretty simple to clear if they malf, and pretty damn quick too when compared.

SeriousStudent
11-11-17, 13:50

Damn, that nice looking. One of the nicer set up semi defensive guns I've seen. And this coming from a guy who has been trying to get a 870P for myself. Of course I looking at a used 870, or possible another 17 locally for like $350. Always when I broke the gun deals pop up.

Thank you. It has industrial Velcro on the other side of the receiver for ammo carry.

I have a pair of 870P's. For a righthander, I think they are the best entry-level shotgun. I would also not discount a good Wingmaster made before Cerebus bought Remington.

Talk to Mark at Summit Gun Broker, he'll take care of you on a good shotgun.

veteran-USMC
11-12-17, 09:49
Just a heads up, that list is currently illegal... and has been the case since the early 1990s.

ARs aren’t illegal, unless it is a Colt with “AR-15” or “CAR-15” or has more that one evil feature (pistol grip, collapsible/folding stock, flash hider, grenade launcher, bayonet lug). NJ still has an active assault weapons ban on the books, which includes shotguns and pistols.

What happens after Murphy gets in is fair game... and probably will be on the level of California. I was here for the election (voted, as did my entire family and girlfriend; also talked a few people she works with out of voting if they were leaning Murphy), but will likely be leaving NJ within the next few months.

Semi-auto shotguns are tricky with NJ law. While the law reads you can only have one of four features (magazine over 6 rounds, detachable magazine, pistol grip, collapsible/folding stock), other parts of the law state the the pistol grip on a semi-auto shotgun is flat out illegal. It is complicated for a reason.

While a semi-auto shotgun is a good investment, if NJ proposes a law, grandfathering will likely not be included. That means all the guns/magazines people are buying will be illegal. Just something to consider... not saying to keep it and break the law, but pointing it out. Personally, I’d have to get some guns out of NJ (godmother lives in PA, so a cheap sheet metal safe and I’m good). If it occurs when I’m out of state before moving (FLETC), I’ll lock everything questionable in one safe and take both dial lock keys.

Even if I wasn’t already planning on leaving NJ, I’d likely be doing it now. I already know that I’ll probably be storing rifles/magazines that my father currently owns when I leave... at least until my parents get out of the state.

My local range & gun shop stated that many sem-auto rifles & shotguns are being traded for a gun that's not semi-auto because the Dems are in control and anything law wise can happen in NJ-----Penna is on my mind as far as moving!
Time for another cup of Java!

Screwball
11-12-17, 19:13
My local range & gun shop stated that many sem-auto rifles & shotguns are being traded for a gun that's not semi-auto because the Dems are in control and anything law wise can happen in NJ-----Penna is on my mind as far as moving!

That’s a little excessive, even for NJ. Murphy doesn’t get into office until mid-January...

Kain
11-12-17, 19:17
Thank you. It has industrial Velcro on the other side of the receiver for ammo carry.

I have a pair of 870P's. For a righthander, I think they are the best entry-level shotgun. I would also not discount a good Wingmaster made before Cerebus bought Remington.

Talk to Mark at Summit Gun Broker, he'll take care of you on a good shotgun.

Nice. I am looking at a 870P locally. Haven't gotten a response from the guy in two tries. First time when he posted it at $280 and I said, please let me know on local, I want. No answer. Recently reposted at $260, responded, still no answer. :( Guess my money not green enough.

I have my opinion on guys unloading guns that might be banned. I'll keep that shit to myself for the time being since I've reaped enough butthurt for my sunday.

But yes, come to the amish side. And you can have this ;)

https://i.imgur.com/jnMgZoW.jpg

Bayo lug, adjustable stock, flash hider, and mags over 15 rounds. Because 'merica!!!!

Damon
11-30-17, 17:53
I caught my M2 3 gun on sale for 1200 a few weeks ago. It was the 21" model and not the new version (24" barrel) but I was okay with that. I was very happy to snatch it up for that price!

Where did you score that M2 3 gun? That is a heck of a price.

jmoore
11-30-17, 20:38
You are correct with that fatal flaw! I was told that a gunsmith could easily fix that button

Yep - took two minutes to swap the release button. Can't recall the name - shouldn't be hard to track down. Turns the 1301T into as near to perfection as this old boy can find. It IS a a light gun, and the rules of physics DO apply!

geezer john

jmoore
11-30-17, 20:44

Which stock is that?

geezer john

SpyderMan2k4
11-30-17, 21:04
Which stock is that?

geezer johnIt's a Mossberg Magpul SGA with the Aridus Stock Adapter (which for the sake of disclosure is my company)

SeriousStudent
11-30-17, 22:29
It's a Mossberg Magpul SGA with the Aridus Stock Adapter (which for the sake of disclosure is my company)

This is true, the dude has gotten a bunch of my money. :cool:

Now get that sweet Zhukov handguard adapter ready for sale, I'm jonesing for one!

Alex V
01-28-18, 09:07

That is the reason why NJ sucks so much. Everyone just rolls over and takes it up the poop shoot. If you know anyone that wants to dump some good Semi auto's I'll be happy to give them pennies on the dollar. I ain't givin up shit.

The new 1301's introduced at Shot Show a few days ago no longer have that feeding problem. Beretta fixed it so if you can get your hands on one of the new ones, you won't have to have a gunsmith monkey with anything. Just a heads up. LAV did a video where the Beretta guy explained that the "fatal flaw" is now gone.

usmcvet
01-28-18, 22:10

Is this how you mounted the MagPul stock? http://www.aridusindustries.com/products/asa-1301-stock-adapter/

HMM
04-08-18, 17:58
Where did you score that M2 3 gun? That is a heck of a price.

Gamaliel, on close out. It was last years model with the 21" barrel. The new model has the 24" barrel and more cut out around the loading port. I'll probably have mine milled out a little more but I'm happy with the 21" barrel.

Todd.K
04-09-18, 12:05
The new 1301's introduced at Shot Show a few days ago no longer have that feeding problem. Beretta fixed it so if you can get your hands on one of the new ones, you won't have to have a gunsmith monkey with anything.

It's not a feeding problem, it's a shell release for unloading that can be accidentally activated.

For anyone looking at an older 1301 either closeouts or used, the fix is cheap and easy. No gunsmith required.

Pappabear
04-09-18, 12:39
I have a Benelli M2, that I have all gussied up. Benelli shotguns are my favorite semi autos. They run everything you feed it. I have a Nighthawk REM 870 for my pump HD gun.

I love to bird hunt so I'm eaten up with shotguns. Anyway, good luck with your purchase. The M2 price is very fair.

PB

Bimmer
04-16-18, 18:58
Gentlemen 2 days ago NJ elected a new Democratic Gov...

My local range & gun shop stated that many sem-auto rifles & shotguns are being traded for a gun that's not semi-auto because the Dems are in control...

First, don't panic.

I'm living your worst case scenario: I've lived in California on-and-off since 1992. ARs are still legal here, though it's a little complicated. If you want an AR, then get an AR.

Second, if you want a shotgun, then get a Benelli M2. Accept no substitutes.

jsbhike
04-17-18, 09:48
Have you given any thought to a pistol caliber lever action? Should be shorter OAL and less recoil than a shotgun.

gaijin
04-18-18, 20:46
Agree with PB, Benelli M2 is the gold standard in auto loader shotguns.

The_War_Wagon
04-18-18, 22:44
Can you get a pre-ban Benelli in?

titsonritz
06-13-18, 04:18
This is true, the dude has gotten a bunch of my money. :cool:

Now get that sweet Zhukov handguard adapter ready for sale, I'm jonesing for one!

It's got to be getting close. This was not on the website a short time ago
http://www.aridusindustries.com/products/1301hga-blk/

pgh_builder
10-11-18, 21:22
Beretta 1301!

KeithTexas
12-12-18, 10:46
Beretta 1301!

https://www.gunbuyer.com/mossberg-930-tactical-12ga-semi-auto-18-5-barrel-8-1-3-chamber-85322.html

Usually on sale for $399 delivered.

I've added an OR3GUN spacer and a Promag hi-notch safety button.

Semi-budget semi-auto semi-sweetness. :p

Merry Christmas everybody.