PDA

View Full Version : BCM 11.5 ELW or Gov profile?

ICBM556
11-09-17, 19:59
I am trying to decide on which barrel profile to go with. Is there any reason to get the GOV profile over the ELW. I am not sure the weight would be that much difference in that length of barrel and I hear a lot that heat may be an issue with the ELW.

Any assistance is appreciated.

nightchief
11-09-17, 20:52
I am trying to decide on which barrel profile to go with. Is there any reason to get the GOV profile over the ELW. I am not sure the weight would be that much difference in that length of barrel and I hear a lot that heat may be an issue with the ELW.

Any assistance is appreciated.

What's your use for it? Run suppressed? I had a HF gov profile first, then went to a standard ELW. Both ran just fine. About 3kish rounds on the gov w/o issue. ELW has about 2500ish rds on it with out a failure. Gov grouped a little better and had less POI shift with an SF can. Both of mine are gassy with a can. Balance is a little better with the ELW, though I think it's negligible. All shooting with mine are on a range or hunting.

ICBM556
11-09-17, 21:06
What's your use for it? Run suppressed? I had a HF gov profile first, then went to a standard ELW. Both ran just fine. About 3kish rounds on the gov w/o issue. ELW has about 2500ish rds on it with out a failure. Gov grouped a little better and had less POI shift with an SF can. Both of mine are gassy with a can. Balance is a little better with the ELW, though I think it's negligible. All shooting with mine are on a range or hunting.

Thanks
No suppression, just a pistol build at this point.

C-grunt
11-09-17, 22:22
Only reason I can think to go with a gov profile over a ELW is if you want a FSB or you just like the look of a gov profile.

GeneralPurpose
11-09-17, 23:42
ELW without a doubt. From a technical perspective, optimized barrel profiles like the ELW make the most sense. Additionally, the balance and weight are noticeably better with the ELW in my experience.

Stickman
11-10-17, 00:37
The ELW all day every day. Unless there is a specific reason not to.

cd228
11-10-17, 05:38
I'd personally go with the ELW. I own one in 14.5 with a pinned brake and I like it over my GOV profile barrels. Given that the GOV profile's origin, it was literally a solution to a non existent problem.
https://everydaymarksman.wordpress.com/tag/20-barrel/

ghostly
11-10-17, 05:56
What do you intend to do with said rifle? That would be a big factor for me.

Things to consider. What hand guard? FSB? Suppressor? Is weight a concern?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ICBM556
11-10-17, 07:07
MCMR or KMR no fsb. I wouldn't think weight will be an issue at this length with either profile but I do want it to be light as possible due to wife wanting to use it.

GeneralPurpose
11-10-17, 10:46
MCMR or KMR no fsb. I wouldn't think weight will be an issue at this length with either profile but I do want it to be light as possible due to wife wanting to use it.

It's not so much weight as it is balance due to how the weight is distributed. You would be surprised. I replaced my government profile 10.5" with an optimized profile, and it made a world of difference.

ICBM556
11-10-17, 11:13
It's not so much weight as it is balance due to how the weight is distributed. You would be surprised. I replaced my government profile 10.5" with an optimized profile, and it made a world of difference.

Thanks for that info.

kremtok
11-16-17, 11:18
My 11.5” BCM is ELW-F. It does everything that I want it to.

RHINOWSO
11-16-17, 12:43
My 11.5” BCM is ELW-F. It does everything that I want it to.

Mine too. Suppresses well with a Saker 556K. Great lightweight rifle.

I've BTDT with the "pig" SBR - no thank you.

308sako
11-17-17, 09:29
11.5" ELW is my choice, and it's the third 11.5" BCM barrel for me.

https://i.imgur.com/YoeRsXW.jpg

Only wish the gas port was a little bit tighter, currently using a Superlative adjustable gas block, but only have had that mounted for a week.

https://i.imgur.com/lSusokD.jpg