PDA

View Full Version : Let your kids have their freedom!

THCDDM4
11-10-17, 15:05
Great article on why so many in generations of late are so weak, can't deal with failure or not being special and taken care of by someone else.

http://reason.com/archives/2017/10/26/the-fragile-generation

"We've had the best of intentions, of course. But efforts to protect our children may be backfiring. When we raise kids unaccustomed to facing anything on their own, including risk, failure, and hurt feelings, our society and even our economy are threatened. Yet modern child-rearing practices and laws seem all but designed to cultivate this lack of preparedness. There's the fear that everything children see, do, eat, hear, and lick could hurt them. And there's a newer belief that has been spreading through higher education that words and ideas themselves can be traumatizing.

How did we come to think a generation of kids can't handle the basic challenges of growing up?

Beginning in the 1980s, American childhood changed. For a variety of reasons—including shifts in parenting norms, new academic expectations, increased regulation, technological advances, and especially a heightened fear of abduction (missing kids on milk cartons made it feel as if this exceedingly rare crime was rampant)—children largely lost the experience of having large swaths of unsupervised time to play, explore, and resolve conflicts on their own. This has left them more fragile, more easily offended, and more reliant on others. They have been taught to seek authority figures to solve their problems and shield them from discomfort, a condition sociologists call "moral dependency."

This poses a threat to the kind of open-mindedness and flexibility young people need to thrive at college and beyond. If they arrive at school or start careers unaccustomed to frustration and misunderstandings, we can expect them to be hypersensitive. And if they don't develop the resources to work through obstacles, molehills come to look like mountains..."

-I've been saying it for a long time. Freedom is the only way. Safety doesn't exist and we need to go back to letting kids and adults alike enjoy more freedom. Our very future depends on it!

Firefly
11-10-17, 16:02
Oh boy.....more Generation Hating.

They are YOUR kids. Rear them how you think they would best survive.

I was always told that nobody lives forever and to always be nice until someone wont let you.

"Respect" is an overused, over abused word and concept. There are more people in this world undeserving of respect than people actually entitled to it. "Civility" is what needs to be taught.

Your teacher is reading out of a book.
Your preacher is reading out of a book.
Nobody else cares. Nobody is coming.

Learn to make it. Learn to say FIDO. And realize that more people will be totally meaningless to you than you should truly care about.

Ask for help, ask to understand.

But never ask for the answer.

In 20 years a lot of folks you "know" will either be dead or blips on the RADAR.

You gotta do it on your own. Ask for help when you really need it, but always be thinking. And dont buy nobody's bullshit. These people dont matter.

You arent your race. You arent where you live.

FIGURE IT OUT AND MAKE IT HAPPEN.
If you royally cock up, dust off, say shit happens, and find another bronco to bust.

Thats a jist if what I got. If you dont like or agree....

Soooooorry bout dat.

and

It dont mean nothin'

THCDDM4
11-10-17, 17:27
Oh boy.....more Generation Hating.

They are YOUR kids. Rear them how you think they would best survive.

I was always told that nobody lives forever and to always be nice until someone wont let you.

"Respect" is an overused, over abused word and concept. There are more people in this world undeserving of respect than people actually entitled to it. "Civility" is what needs to be taught.

Your teacher is reading out of a book.
Your preacher is reading out of a book.
Nobody else cares. Nobody is coming.

Learn to make it. Learn to say FIDO. And realize that more people will be totally meaningless to you than you should truly care about.

Ask for help, ask to understand.

But never ask for the answer.

In 20 years a lot of folks you "know" will either be dead or blips on the RADAR.

You gotta do it on your own. Ask for help when you really need it, but always be thinking. And dont buy nobody's bullshit. These people dont matter.

You arent your race. You arent where you live.

FIGURE IT OUT AND MAKE IT HAPPEN.
If you royally cock up, dust off, say shit happens, and find another bronco to bust.

Thats a jist if what I got. If you dont like or agree....

Soooooorry bout dat.

and

It dont mean nothin'

No hate here, bro. I'm 36 so it's mostly my generation I'm speaking to.

To each there own, yes. But shedding light on the negative consequences of sheltering kids is something folks should know about. They think they are keeping them safe, but they're messing them and the world up. They should be cognizant of their actions, maybe then we can change things for the better.

Firefly
11-10-17, 17:39
I was agreeing with you. :)

SteyrAUG
11-10-17, 17:49
During the 1950s my father and his friends would walk miles out of town to go camping for the weekend when they were still in junior high. Today you'd probably get arrested for letting your kids do that.

Diamondback
11-10-17, 18:13
No hate here, bro. I'm 36 so it's mostly my generation I'm speaking to.
37 and right there with you. Perhaps this helps explain, in tandem with most of my social circle in my formative years being my grandparents' age, why I tend to get along better with my seniors than my peers...

26 Inf
11-10-17, 19:25
So, how many of the folks posting here actually have kids to practice the various theories on?

And, of course, you do know you are saying the same things your great grandfathers said about the way your father raised you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN5zw04WxCc

Times change.

Diamondback
11-10-17, 19:32
I can only speaks from the mistakes of my own upbringing--being isolated from the world by walls of books through my formative years, and doubling-down on it through the turbulent teens, may have done more harm than I realized then, or even now.

On the other hand, given the quality of most people in my environment "Better NO company than bad company" had, and still has, a certain very strong resonance...

THCDDM4
11-10-17, 20:42
So, how many of the folks posting here actually have kids to practice the various theories on?

And, of course, you do know you are saying the same things your great grandfathers said about the way your father raised you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN5zw04WxCc

Times change.

I'm a father. My father was not around/present when he was around to raise me. My mother raised me.

It would be one thing to just spew these words without merit as a lot do. It is obvious to see the fruits of our labor. Nobody and no single parenting style is perfect.

My main point stands. More freedom for adults and children alike would be an overwhelmingly positive thing for this country and this world.

THCDDM4
11-10-17, 20:44
I was agreeing with you. :)

Been sleepless for 3 days straight with a teething and sick 9 month old. My initial perception and impression of your post was way off after rereading it. My apologies.

Diamondback
11-10-17, 20:44
I'm a father. My father was not around/present when he was around to raise me. My mother raised me.
Similar case here, the Sperm Donor was actually a greater help through his *absence from* my life than any presence of his would have been, in that it left an opening for better men to serve as role-models.

uffdaphil
11-10-17, 21:08
This isn’t the usual “kids today” issue of previous generations. Based on my direct observation the number of free range children is down at least 95% in the last 50 years. I live across the street from a park near where I grew up. In the 50s-60s it was occupied daily with pick-up baseball, cowboys and indians, made up field gamesetc. All unsupervised. Jammed with skaters in winter there is now no rink and the snow is untracked for months. Most days it sits empty except for the small playground which has a couple of toddlers with mothers a few times a week. Orginized baseball shows up a half dozen times per season with parents galore.I have seen zero kids building a fort or climbing a tree in decades. Video games have destroyed self directed play at the same time social media and texting has supplanted much face to face interaction. I’m not surprised at all by the rise in youth suicides.

Buckaroo
11-10-17, 21:33
Father of 4 the oldest of whom moved 1k miles to Wyoming upon her graduation from college to start a new life. Now she is married to a wonderful God fearing man and mother to our first grandchild.
Second is a son who went 1.5k miles away for college and now has a great job, a steady girl, and travels to climb and other such outdoors sports almost every weekend. (He's a much better shot than me dang it!)
Waiting to see how the last two strike out on their own to pursue their own future.
These are my claims to raising contributing members of society.
Now we are building a retirement home on 12+ acres that backs up to National Forest and I'm looking forward to giving our grandchildren a chance to learn about the world through exploring our backyard and beyond.
Wish me luck!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

BoringGuy45
11-10-17, 22:29
My first child is due to be born in March. A son :) .

He's going to do what I did when I was a kid: Go outside, wrestle and play tackle football in the yard without pads, have swordfights with his friends with sticks he finds in the woods, learn how to shoot, ride his bike all over the neighborhood with his friends, get dirty, scrape his knees, run around barefoot and probably break a few toes. If the sun is up, the TV, tablet, and computer are off. My wife has a tendency towards over nurturing (as she's an assistant pre-school teacher), but she's as fed up with the whole snowflake thing as I am, so I think she'll be okay with me letting our son get a few bumps and bruises as he grows.

I want my boy to be pissed and flabbergasted at the idiocy when he hears stupid, illogical opposing opinions in school, and ready to counter them with logic, not in need of therapy and a safe space. I want his response to danger to be "You picked the wrong guy to f*** with" rather than "Who will save me?"

SteyrAUG
11-10-17, 22:41
I'm just glad my father took me camping in the Rocky Mountains when I was about 10. Was cold as F in the morning and my dad couldn't quite master "eggs for breakfast" on the camp stove, but we actually went mountain climbing with all of our crap and slept under the stars and that crisp morning is still one of my fondest memories.

I'm glad my father gave in and bought me a real Luger in the 4th grade. He taught me how to shoot, he wasn't the most patient teacher and I certainly wasn't the best student but that is where it all began and firearms were a big part of our shared experience. Eventually I learned to apply most of the things he tried to show me.

I'm glad my father told me stories of his youth, especially the kind parents usually don't share with their kids. He taught me that the mistakes you make aren't nearly as important as what you do to fix them and make things right. He also told me that even when you try and do everything right, it can still go wrong.

I only wish he was still around so I could tell him I actually "got it" and I'd love to be able to take him out to dinner one more time. I feel like I got shorted 20 years or so, but at least I was able to have him come visit me in Florida whenever he wanted, go shoot a bunch of cool toys and eat like kings and never let him have the check.

I always remember him wishing he had grabbed an AUG in the 80s when they were $650 but he missed the boat. One of the best days shooting was turning him loose on mine.

https://i.imgur.com/bjHTKKv.jpg

Dienekes
11-11-17, 11:48
Couldn't agree more. Currently watching my 8 YO grandson suffer in public (gack!) school, 500 miles away from his dad. The place is--appropriately enough--run like a prison. The teachers are upset because he's a voracious reader and wants to read way above his grade level. And so on.

"What demon made me behave so well?" (Thoreau, "Walden Pond")

FIDO indeed.

Diamondback
11-11-17, 12:02
Couldn't agree more. Currently watching my 8 YO grandson suffer in public (gack!) school, 500 miles away from his dad. The place is--appropriately enough--run like a prison. The teachers are upset because he's a voracious reader and wants to read way above his grade level. And so on.

"What demon made me behave so well?" (Thoreau, "Walden Pond")

FIDO indeed.

Man, you shoulda seen the butthurt in the '80s when I was in elementary school and sped through the day's slice of Where The Red Fern Grows AND the three chapters after so I could get back to The Hunt For Red October... Modern educators hate uppity smart-kids, especially kids who are smarter than they are, know it and expect to be shown even a LITTLE respect. (Got lucky in high-school... had one instructor who if you knew your crap about something on the curriculum he'd let you "guest teach" under his supervision for the day. He gave me the whole week we were supposed to cover WWII... :D )

But can't have anybody be better at anything than anybody else, might make all the Precious Little Snowflakes get *sneer* HURT FEEEEEELINGS...

JoshNC
11-11-17, 12:35
I have a 5 year old son and a daughter on the way. I always planned on being a “free range” parent. We live in a moderate size southern city with somewhat high crime, a large population of entitled inner city types, heavy traffic, and liberal city leadership that is more concerned with equality than public safety. These factors cause me and my wife to be far more involved and less apt to give our kids the free roaming freedom we had while growing up in the 80s/90s.

It’s sad, but this is the world we live in. I believe personal development, responsibility, self sufficiency, etc can be instilled through Boy Scouts, camping, fishing, boating, shooting, etc and will focus on these with my children.

11-11-17, 14:11
Grew up in a very rural setting with thousands(not all ours!) of acres to roam. Both parents worked very hard. That was what we(society) were told is correct. Both parents working, career..career..career. My father traveled most of week. Mom was HS teacher, went back for Masters while working FT. Consequently, I was on my own for large parts of the week. I roamed the woods for miles by myself or with friends. Single shot .22 usually with me.

Was normal for me to be by self with little brother. We went all over the place. I was responsible for light cleaning and cooking as well as outside chores. I "grew up" very young. Not in a bad or unhappy way. We didn't know any better; never got in trouble, kept good grades, and were polite and well-mannered.

This upbringing has served me very well. However, wife and I made decision long time ago, before kids, to go back to more old-school approach. One parent was always going to be home with/for kids. Both of us were NOT going to work. She became an MD and I, as a CPA, would never match her income potential, became a stay at home dad when our first(7yrs. old now) arrived. We are strict, but fun, parents. Our children are well-behaved, well mannered, respectful, full of energy, and happy. They attend a private school that has conservative principles and is academically accelerated. The school administration also does not allow horseshit from students or parents.

We are struggling with how much freedom to give. Crime statistics show we are in a relatively good period but to me it seems the stats don't tell the whole story. My gut, which has proven good, tells me children are at greater risk than ever to falling victim to a gruesome end. As a CPA, I understand stats. Maybe children are statistically safer than ever(don't know), but my gut says otherwise. This is the dilemma we face in deciding how much freedom to give the kids.

I WILL allow my children to range, I just haven't figured out exactly how yet. It also doesn't help we have mountain lions, bears, moose, and big ass rattlers here. Fieldcraft was part of my growing up so I will pass on as much as possible, but roaming free is the best teacher.

My kids being kidnapped scares me to death. But, as a parent it is my responsibility to make my children able to function completely without me. So, we will somehow figure out a balance. Hell, mtn. lions are routinely in our neighborhood so 2 and 4 legged predators are an issue. There are no easy answers and individual responsibility and all the good that comes from free-ranging kids can be found in other areas; it just makes the parents have to work harder. Unfortunately, from my observations, many younger parents are more self-absorbed than they should be and don't seem willing, or don't know how, to make up for the loss from kids not free-ranging.

Pilot1
11-11-17, 15:33
This isn’t the usual “kids today” issue of previous generations. Based on my direct observation the number of free range children is down at least 95% in the last 50 years. I live across the street from a park near where I grew up. In the 50s-60s it was occupied daily with pick-up baseball, cowboys and indians, made up field gamesetc. All unsupervised. Jammed with skaters in winter there is now no rink and the snow is untracked for months. Most days it sits empty except for the small playground which has a couple of toddlers with mothers a few times a week. Orginized baseball shows up a half dozen times per season with parents galore.I have seen zero kids building a fort or climbing a tree in decades. Video games have destroyed self directed play at the same time social media and texting has supplanted much face to face interaction. I’m not surprised at all by the rise in youth suicides.

I was born in 1959, so I grew up in the 60's, and 70's. On weekends, and when off from school in summers, I'd leave the house in the morning, and wasn't expected back until dinner time. So often a full eight to ten hours gone, and absent adult supervision unless it was for organized sports. We did all the stuff you mention. If it wasn't pick up games of football, baseball, basketball, it was riding our bikes all over creation, or exploring the woods. Yeah we played Army, cowboys, and Indians, built forts, went sledding. It was a blast, and no parents telling us what to do, or how to do it. Very different from today I'm afraid.

26 Inf
11-11-17, 16:08
I was born in 1959, so I grew up in the 60's, and 70's. On weekends, and when off from school in summers, I'd leave the house in the morning, and wasn't expected back until dinner time. So often a full eight to ten hours gone, and absent adult supervision unless it was for organized sports. We did all the stuff you mention. If it wasn't pick up games of football, baseball, basketball, it was riding our bikes all over creation, or exploring the woods. Yeah we played Army, cowboys, and Indians, built forts, went sledding. It was a blast, and no parents telling us what to do, or how to do it. Very different from today I'm afraid.

You are five years younger than me, that is exactly the way it was. I somewhat blame parents living vicariously through their kids for the change.

During the summer kids used to as you mentioned, occupy themselves by pickup baseball, etc. Now they 'can't' play sports unless it is in a league, just not done.

My grandson started playing tackle football in the second grade, I told his parents they were nucking futs. I was quickly educated about the way things were in our community. We had, at that point, won state HS football championships, 6 of the last 8 years. The reason is that the kids in the youth program were coached by the staff members of our high school team and brought up on the the coache's system. If you did not come up through that system, and go to football summer camp, your likelihood of making the HS varsity and actually playing were limited.

Adults ruin stuff.

So now, Grandpa is throwing passes to the youngest grandson in the off season and teaching him to run routes. He's 8 and it is time we spend together, but it is BS.

SteyrAUG
11-11-17, 20:25
Adults ruin stuff.

At the end of the day it comes down to this. Remember all those dipshit kids you knew growing up (regardless of what decade it was)? Well now most of them are parents and they are still dipshits and they pretty much screw up everything they get involved in.

Buckaroo
11-11-17, 22:16
At the end of the day it comes down to this. Remember all those dipshit kids you knew growing up (regardless of what decade it was)? Well now most of them are parents and they are still dipshits and they pretty much screw up everything they get involved in.Word

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Moose-Knuckle
11-14-17, 02:37
I'm a Gen X'er in my late thirties, the world ain't what it was when i grew up in the 80's.

No way in hell I'm letting my son have the "free range" that I had due to this fact alone. Just look at the registered sex offenders in your area on your local PD/SO website, and keep in mind those are just the ones who have been caught and then actually registered themselves. I'm no helicopter parent but IMHO letting your young children out and about with no over watch is negligent.

As Pat Mac says, "Become the Agent in Charge of Your Own Protection Detail".

There are multiple videos floating around social media of European schools that encourage outdoor play time. This is one the many areas the US gets wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkiij9dJfcw

5.56 Bonded SP
11-14-17, 04:20
I'm a Gen X'er in my late thirties, the world ain't what it was when i grew up in the 80's.

No way in hell I'm letting my son have the "free range" that I had due to this fact alone. Just look at the registered sex offenders in your area on your local PD/SO website, and keep in mind those are just the ones who have been caught and then actually registered themselves. I'm no helicopter parent but IMHO letting your young children out and about with no over watch is negligent.

As Pat Mac says, "Become the Agent in Charge of Your Own Protection Detail".

There are multiple videos floating around social media of European schools that encourage outdoor play time. This is one the many areas the US gets wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkiij9dJfcw

I typed several paragraphs to this topic.. but decided to not share since it was so personal.

Basically I agree with this quote.
I had the free range no/little supervision type childhood, did whatever I wanted. It was great. Used to carry rifles on peddle bikes to friends houses to shoot squirrels and stuff.
I'm not very old, but the world is not the same place anymore.

Now I work in law enforcement, and it's hard not to just see the world as a drug infested perverted shit show.
I hope I can transfer to some tiny little farm town somewhere in the middle of no where and raise kids as far away from any city as possible. I really struggle not having a nihilistic outlook on humans as a species, the older I get the harder that becomes.

THCDDM4
11-14-17, 11:34
The world is pretty much the same is it ever was. Arguably and literally statistically safer even!!!.

It's just the perception, reporting and communication has changed as well as the fear and how we handle it.

Moose, your argument is the same I've been given when debating Gun control. "The world is a different place" "for the safety of my kids", Etc.

It's just not that different out there- but now it is in your face and you've got to fear it and coddle those kids or your a bad parent!!!

We speak a lot about freedom on this forum. How people seek to control us in the name of safety. Well, it's not right. Not for kids and not for adults. Not allowing our children to have these experiences is robbing them of too many things that's are important to their development and the future of our Nation and the American culture.

http://www.freerangekids.com/crime-statistics/

http://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-crime-report-shows-america-is-still-getting-safer-2015-1

I could post a ton more.

To each their own, parent how you see fit and that's the best for us all. But please be aware it is SAFER out there and all the fear in the world and coddling will not do our children any good. It will harm them and us as a whole.

Dienekes
11-14-17, 21:54
I grew up on just this side of the Canadian border. Used to ride my fat tire Schwinn back and forth across the border with just a wave from the border folks. The inspection stations on both sides were small structures, looking much like a small gas station of the day. The last time I crossed there the buildings were massive, ugly things full of officious people. It was like Checkpoint Charlie, complete with a detailed grilling about who the hell I was, where I was going, and why.

I half expected to be waterboarded, just on principle.

26 Inf
11-14-17, 22:35
The world is pretty much the same is it ever was. Arguably and literally statistically safer even!!!.

It's just the perception, reporting and communication has changed as well as the fear and how we handle it.

Moose, your argument is the same I've been given when debating Gun control. "The world is a different place" "for the safety of my kids", Etc.

It's just not that different out there- but now it is in your face and you've got to fear it and coddle those kids or your a bad parent!!!

We speak a lot about freedom on this forum. How people seek to control us in the name of safety. Well, it's not right. Not for kids and not for adults. Not allowing our children to have these experiences is robbing them of too many things that's are important to their development and the future of our Nation and the American culture.

http://www.freerangekids.com/crime-statistics/

http://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-crime-report-shows-america-is-still-getting-safer-2015-1

I could post a ton more.

To each their own, parent how you see fit and that's the best for us all. But please be aware it is SAFER out there and all the fear in the world and coddling will not do our children any good. It will harm them and us as a whole.

I think that articles such as the ones you linked to do show a decrease in crime, but those articles don't take into consideration 'why' it is safer. And whether it is actually 'safer' or rather that injury severity is lessened.

Technology has played an important roll - communications technology, see a crime (such as an abduction) report a crime on your cell. How many lives were saved in Texas today best of the quick reporting of the shooter and the fact that the school had an active shooter plan?

One of the reason murder rates have dropped is because of advances in emergency medical services, from first responder's all the way through the chain to the trauma centers. People who would have died 20 years ago, now routinely survive, that means the guy gets charged with agg battery versus homicide. So a drop in homicide may not necessarily mean things are 'safer.'

Fewer officers are killed today than in the 70's, 80's or 90's. Doesn't necessarily mean fewer people try to kill officers, just means fewer are succesfull - vests, communication, TQ's, EMS, etc.

Most law enforcement agencies of any size spent the 70's and 80's with an increased focus on crime prevention. This began slacking off in the 90's, but there is still a lot of residual knowledge and practices running around crime prevention. That being said, crime rates have probably been less impacted by that than they have been by the economy.

Kids don't drown or kill themselves at swimming pools as much because regulations on tank depth for diving boards has caused most older pools with 8 foot deep ends to remove their high boards. Yep, back in the day the deep end was only 8 foot. Fewer kids suffer cervical injuries as a result of the deeper tanks or removal of the high boards.

I'm kinda trying to point out that it may be kind of a case of perhaps stats and figures misleading us.

What do you think, more, or fewer, religious figures, abusing kids in the 70's and 80's, or today? Less likely to be reported back then.

I'm not sure I'm making my point, but I gave it a shot.

I'd love to let the kids run free, but I really don't think the world is the same.

Moose-Knuckle
11-15-17, 03:21
Basically I agree with this quote.
I had the free range no/little supervision type childhood, did whatever I wanted. It was great. Used to carry rifles on peddle bikes to friends houses to shoot squirrels and stuff.

I'm not very old, but the world is not the same place anymore.

Now I work in law enforcement, and it's hard not to just see the world as a drug infested perverted shit show.
I hope I can transfer to some tiny little farm town somewhere in the middle of no where and raise kids as far away from any city as possible. I really struggle not having a nihilistic outlook on humans as a species, the older I get the harder that becomes.

I worked 12 years for a large city PD, it's okay come on over to the Dark Side and be a misanthropist. We don't discriminate we hate everyone equally! :cool:

I have an uncle who moved his family way out to the boonies and put his kids in one of those K-12 schools that play six man football. His daughter was molested by one of the male teachers at the school. You can't "move" away from all threats.

The world has a population it has never seen before (7.6 Billion) all those human factors multiplied into damn near infinite numbers. No one kept crime stats 100-200 years ago.

MSM down plays violent crimes and only report on things they have an agenda for.

Seriously? Wanting to keep my kid safe is equal to the disarmament agenda? :blink:

Uh dude, yeah it's a LOOOOOT different out there. It is now publicly acceptable for sexual deviant men to use the same restroom, locker rooms, showers, ect. as females to include little girls.

Transgender Wyoming woman convicted of sexually assaulting 10-year-old girl in bathroom (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/19/transgender-wyoming-woman-convicted-sexually-assaulting-10-year-old-girl-in-bathroom.html)

So if a child wants to pull a pot of boiling water off a burner and onto their head we're not supposed to stop them in the name of "freedom"? I mean really where do we draw the line?

Who said anything about coddling? My kid will be shooting and taking MA before to much longer, he's a toddler.

Not directed at anyone particular . . .

At the end of the day, go and talk to parents who's children have been found dead, naked, and raped in a ditch then go and talk to parents who's children disappeared off the face of the Earth with out a trace never to be heard from again and see what their regrets are. YMMV.

thepatriot2705
11-15-17, 23:37
As a 20 something year old millennial, thank you to all the good parents in this thread. I grew up in a good suburb but my parents still trusted me and let me be a kid. I remember summer days where other kids were inside playing games while I was outside exploring, building forts, cutting down trees for said forts (i wasnt even in high school and my parents trusted me with hand saws!). In real world applications, Im much better off compared to my peers thanks to my wonderful parents. I can tuck point, frame, finish concrete, repair electronic devices, rebuild car engines, salvage iphones from water damage etc. The point of this is I was raised to not fear failure. All my successes and skills came through failure and being motivated along with the desire to succeed. I believe in the American Dream and I believe in making a living through honest hard work. I was always told that anything is possible, but be realistic. (Ok, my dreams can be a little unrealistic at times but dreams make life worth living). I can't help but look around and see the lack of creativity, the lack of thinking, the overly sensitive types. Im an old school God fearing man in a brave new world that looks bleak.

thepatriot2705
11-15-17, 23:49

At least you got to enjoy some good years. As a 20 something year old who survived college with an intact brain, it sucks. Im automatically labeled a racist for believing that the KKK has a right to free speech. A misogynistic for seeing abortion as murder. A misogynistic for believing taxpayers should not pay for birth control. A xenophobe for believing in border security, A transphobe for not wanting to sleep with a transgender individual. A bigot for what ever trending reason there is. ETC. Societal decay is real.

Then you have the MSM, tech giants, and social media corps pushing the alt left agenda.

If you dont believe in the alt left, you deserve to lose your job, be a social outcast, or die. That is the mentality on left. As a few corporations control the narrative, we are past the point of no return. Im looking for my golden ticket and then retiring to some where in the middle of nowhere oklahoma or nebraska or some where far away from the social cesspools that we call cities. I still have 50 or 60 years ahead of me, and it sucks to have this view of the world but id be in denial if I didnt acknowledge it.

Regardless of what people say, we are not a free nation. We are being held hostage but political correctness.

Not to derail the thread, but this is where over protective parenting has taken us. You cant be offended. You have to accept others point of views. You dont have to stand up for what you believe in.

Moose-Knuckle
11-16-17, 02:51
thepatriot2705,

You are my new favorite person and a credit to Generation Y.

THCDDM4
11-16-17, 15:37
I worked 12 years for a large city PD, it's okay come on over to the Dark Side and be a misanthropist. We don't discriminate we hate everyone equally! :cool:

I have an uncle who moved his family way out to the boonies and put his kids in one of those K-12 schools that play six man football. His daughter was molested by one of the male teachers at the school. You can't "move" away from all threats.

The world has a population it has never seen before (7.6 Billion) all those human factors multiplied into damn near infinite numbers. No one kept crime stats 100-200 years ago.

MSM down plays violent crimes and only report on things they have an agenda for.

Seriously? Wanting to keep my kid safe is equal to the disarmament agenda? :blink:

Uh dude, yeah it's a LOOOOOT different out there. It is now publicly acceptable for sexual deviant men to use the same restroom, locker rooms, showers, ect. as females to include little girls.

Transgender Wyoming woman convicted of sexually assaulting 10-year-old girl in bathroom (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/19/transgender-wyoming-woman-convicted-sexually-assaulting-10-year-old-girl-in-bathroom.html)

So if a child wants to pull a pot of boiling water off a burner and onto their head we're not supposed to stop them in the name of "freedom"? I mean really where do we draw the line?

Who said anything about coddling? My kid will be shooting and taking MA before to much longer, he's a toddler.

Not directed at anyone particular . . .

At the end of the day, go and talk to parents who's children have been found dead, naked, and raped in a ditch then go and talk to parents who's children disappeared off the face of the Earth with out a trace never to be heard from again and see what their regrets are. YMMV.

Pot of boiling water on their head?

I want people to let their kids go to the park without parents there. Without having a tracking device on them. Just let them have their own kid time, scrape knees, hike in the woods with friends, etc.

I'm not sure how you interpreted that as letting your kids seriously injure themselves with by pouring a boiling pot of water on their head...

The world is no more dangerous for kids than it used to be. Let them explore it on their own when they are at a responsible and mature enough age. That's all I'm saying. YMMV

Moose-Knuckle
11-17-17, 05:00
Pot of boiling water on their head?

I want people to let their kids go to the park without parents there. Without having a tracking device on them. Just let them have their own kid time, scrape knees, hike in the woods with friends, etc.

I'm not sure how you interpreted that as letting your kids seriously injure themselves with by pouring a boiling pot of water on their head...

The world is no more dangerous for kids than it used to be. Let them explore it on their own when they are at a responsible and mature enough age. That's all I'm saying. YMMV

The pot of boiling water analogy was for the whole "let kids do whatevs" mindset, freedom is cool and all but children at every age need structure and boundaries. I wouldn't think you would let your kid do that and that was not what I was implying.

We took our tot to our favorite park the other day, it has a age specific playground for 2-5 year olds. There is a large wooded area, my wife commented oh there must be a skunk close by. I laughed and said honey that ain't no skunk that is skunk WEED you smell. Sure enough as we were swinging our little man on the swings two thirty something year old Black dudes emerge from the tree line, they both made their way to the parking lot and left in separate vehicles. Now if two teens came out of the woods in a park after smoking the Mary Jane I wouldn't think much of it, but when two thirty somethings are meeting up in the woods in a public park in the middle of the day to burn a phatty yeah that screams downlow hook-up. Gross. Do that shit at your pad, not where little kids are playing.