PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy Build??

turnburglar
11-11-17, 21:40
Hey Forum Mates,

I recently decided to rebarrel my upper, for no other reason than a great veterans day sale at Faxon.

I bought the Match 14.5 gunner, because I have always wanted a light weight 14.5 barrel. Since I do have a decent stock pile of 77gr ammo I decided to go with the match barrel over a regular stick.

When I go to torque the barrel nut and flash hider is there any advice from the forum as to what procedure I should follow for the most inherent accuracy as possible? When I am done I want to have a shoot off between the new 416R match barrel and a regular BCM stick.

Thanks in advance

Clint
11-11-17, 21:57
Don't over torque the muzzle device

PrarieDog
11-12-17, 17:10
Use barrel blocks to support the barrel when tightening, as in don't rely on the receiver to resist torque when installing the brake.

Hulkstr8
11-12-17, 17:44
Use barrel blocks to support the barrel when tightening, as in don't rely on the receiver to resist torque when installing the brake.

You think a reaction rod is good enough?

grizzman
11-12-17, 17:46
You think a reaction rod is good enough?

Since the reaction rod interfaces with the barrel extension, no torque will be transferred to the receiver.

PrarieDog
11-13-17, 00:00
Reaction rod would work. Barrel blocks can be made from wood if you don't have a rod.

tehpwnag3
11-13-17, 08:58
I'm hoping your barrel extension is snug inside of the upper receiver. If not, use Loctite 243 or 609. Perform normal install process. I don't think there is a definitive torque range to worry much about (like, higher or lower produces better accuracy). Some years ago, the AMU standard was 60ft/lbs.. Not sure if that changed. I prefer closer to 40ft/lbs..

On my precision builds, I use shims from Advanced Armament and Rocksett on the muzzle device. Completely degrease the threads with brake cleaner. I choose a shim that allows the MD to almost time by hand. Season the threads with light back and forth torque. You may need to choose a slightly thicker shim at this point. The final torque is about 10-15 ft/lbs..

It's best to match the bolt to the barrel extension, but you may not have that option. Some high-end barrels are sold with the bolt for this reason.

dhena81
11-17-17, 23:21
I'm hoping your barrel extension is snug inside of the upper receiver. If not, use Loctite 243 or 609. Perform normal install process. I don't think there is a definitive torque range to worry much about (like, higher or lower produces better accuracy). Some years ago, the AMU standard was 60ft/lbs.. Not sure if that changed. I prefer closer to 40ft/lbs..

On my precision builds, I use shims from Advanced Armament and Rocksett on the muzzle device. Completely degrease the threads with brake cleaner. I choose a shim that allows the MD to almost time by hand. Season the threads with light back and forth torque. You may need to choose a slightly thicker shim at this point. The final torque is about 10-15 ft/lbs..

It's best to match the bolt to the barrel extension, but you may not have that option. Some high-end barrels are sold with the bolt for this reason.

Do such manufactures actually headspace the bolt to the barrel extension?

Jmedic_
11-18-17, 09:36
I recently bought the reaction rod for my new build, changed my life. Never going back! I believe botach has a reaction rod that is cheaper, if you’re looking to save some money, and it probably functions identically to the reaction rod. But I was sold once I saw it interfaces w/ the ramps and takes the pressure off the receiver. Plus, you can slide the upper to any position for ease of installation for various things.

turnburglar
11-18-17, 14:26
Do you think I could get away with just using barrel blocks for the barrel nut and flash hider?

I will be using an ALG rail and plan on following their torque method using the shims.

Kenneth
11-18-17, 15:50
Do you think I could get away with just using barrel blocks for the barrel nut and flash hider?

I will be using an ALG rail and plan on following their torque method using the shims.

We all used to build AR’s before the reaction rod was a thing.

I still use blocks for my upper builds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk