PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight vs Mid-length vs Rifle

crusader377
10-10-08, 21:43
I recently purchased my first AR/M4 a month ago which was a CD M4LE. I'm extremely happy with my first purchase but I'm considering adding a second rifle to my collection in the next 3-6 months. I'm looking to get either a Lightweight or a Mid-length or a 20" barrelled AR15. Would like to spend between $800 to $1000 but I still want a high quality rifle. My initial thoughts are the following:

Lightweight

Build a lightweight (would need a few recommendations)
or buy a lightweight from a quality manufacturer

Mid-Length

Build a midlength based off of a BCM Upper receiver and BCG.

Rifle:

Upcoming CD M16A4 (Marine Corp model)

Thank you in advance for all of your help with your recommendations

Parabellum9x19mm
10-10-08, 21:49
i'd go with the BCM middy or N4 16"

both are great

downside of the BCM is availability, you need to wait for it to be in stock. downside of the N4 is that the lead time is around 6 weeks. either way you probably have to wait, but the wait is worth it in both cases.

28_days
10-10-08, 22:32
Actually I believe 16" BCM mid-lengths are in stock currently (GR Tactical). :D

762mmFMJ
10-11-08, 11:09
Personally, I'd get the 20" M16A4 clone. A lightweight is not going to be that much lighter than what you already have, it will just be a slightly lighter version, and the only difference between what you already have and a midlength is the length of the gas system. Besides, I think everyone should have at least one 20" AR, they're my favorite. ;)

Eventually you need to buy/build all of the above though. :D

carbinero
10-11-08, 11:15
What's the mission/goal?

crusader377
10-11-08, 14:59
I don't really have a specific mission. Just want another high quality rifle/carbine for my collection.

urbankaos04
10-11-08, 18:33
I don't really have a specific mission. Just want another high quality rifle/carbine for my collection.

Then I would definitely go for the mid-length BCM. While the 20 inchers do offer a bit more reach "out there" and increased terminal ballistics, I don't think that that's enough to offset the increased utility of a the 16" mid-length. Plus, terminal ballistics are not compromised excessively, as compared to going to a shorter barrel, 14.5" or less. But, remember, you gotta use the heavier OTMs in order to get the most outta the cartridge. 6.8 SPC wold be better, but that's a whole different topic!

Oh, and as for the N4 middy, I also wanted to get one badly, but after thinking about the quality and price point of the BCM, I just went with the BCM. Sure the N4 will probably out shoot it, but I know I won't be able to outshoot my BCM. I still kinda want an N4, but I'm happy with my other middy, which is a GTS Operator and what I consider my recce-type upper due to it's above average accuracy potential, not quite N4 accurate, but good enough.

I think you'll be just fine with a BCM middy. They're quality uppers at a great price!

Mr. Clean
10-11-08, 20:05
Actually I believe 16" BCM mid-lengths are in stock currently (GR Tactical). :D

They are indeed. I just placed an order with Grant on Friday!

Oh, and as for the N4 middy, I also wanted to get one badly, but after thinking about the quality and price point of the BCM, I just went with the BCM. Sure the N4 will probably out shoot it, but I know I won't be able to outshoot my BCM.

I agree. Plus, I was told (by Noveske) that there were no uppers to be had for at least four weeks.

carbinero
10-11-08, 22:20
If you want it now, I'd agree with the BCM middy.

If you can wait, one or both BCM and CD may have 20" uppers within a season or so.

If you decide to wait, however, and McCain wins, it may be a good time to celebrate by going 6.8spc. To whet your appetite, see what's going on at ar15performance.com

Parabellum9x19mm
10-12-08, 02:22
if the BCM middy is in stock, i'd pick it up. they tend to move pretty quick. strike while the iron is hot.

i had to wait for mine. just clicked the "notify me when back in stock" button on the Bravo Co website, and when it was back in stock - i pounced.

if you want a midlength upper that follows the TDP exactingly, i don't think you can do any better for the money. great value.

i don't really care too much about finish on ARs, but i must admit my BCM upper is very purty. i was expecting lots of handling marks and such from such a no-nonsense piece of kit, but the upper i got looks virginal. i was very impressed by every aspect of the upper receiver group.

to be fair, i haven't had a chance to put the BCM through the same paces as my N4 uppers yet, but i'm sure it will stack up quite favorably. it might not be quite as accurate and the bbl might not have the same life expectancy....but for me at least, its purely theoretical....i'm probably not a good enough shot to be able to notice the accuracy difference...and i probably wont shoot any single upper enough to burn out the barrel, as i spread out my shooting amongst several ARs.

Curare
10-15-08, 22:16
You can have lightweight barrel profiles in carbine, midlength, an rifle length gas systems.