PDA

View Full Version : MLOK or KeyMod Rail Fail?

BigSam
11-13-17, 15:30
Anybody have this happen to them, or direct information on rail breakage? Specifically an MLOK or KeyMod free float rail,
maybe while using a VFG?

I'm asking because when I look at how thin most rails are, I'm surprised that I haven't heard of ANY breakage at all.
Not even with the cheaper offerings.

Thanks.

ghostly
11-13-17, 15:52
I have seen rails pull off key mods and bend the slots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyAR1
11-13-17, 15:54
I have broken 3 NRA National Match Service Rifle Free Floating tubes, but I have never broke a rail system. Of course I don't sling into a rail system like a NRA National Match Service Rifle.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

GTF425
11-13-17, 15:54
Seen the original KMR's bend slots with lights mounted.

Haven't seen it with a KMR-A yet.

titsonritz
11-13-17, 17:14
PIC are tougher than either and you can **** them up if you try a little.

BigSam
11-13-17, 17:46
Thanks for the info people.

GH41
11-13-17, 18:02
I'll bet you that all of the Keymod slot failures cited were the result of an idiot not being able to follow directions. M-loc is more idiot proof but I am still smart enough to prefer Keymod.

GTF425
11-13-17, 18:05
The case of the one I saw was from a cantilevered Surefire that took one hell of an impact straight on to the bezel.

Another member here, kaltesherz, had a well documented KMR failure as well.

It can be done, and as someone who happens to own a keymod rail, I understand its limitations.

ghostly
11-13-17, 18:16
I'll bet you that all of the Keymod slot failures cited were the result of an idiot not being able to follow directions. M-loc is more idiot proof but I am still smart enough to prefer Keymod.

I'm not an idiot and follow directions well, thanks. Perhaps you should be more careful in your blanket statements. Thank you for your valuable input on the subject matter. Perhaps if you don't have any response to the OP, you could keep your uninformed assumptions to yourself as it has added nothing to the topic.

kaltesherz
11-13-17, 18:32
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?167467-How-to-break-your-BCM-KMR-Rail-UPDATED-15JUL16-failed-again

GH41
11-13-17, 18:32
I'm not an idiot and follow directions well, thanks. Perhaps you should be more careful in your blanket statements. Thank you for your valuable input on the subject matter. Perhaps if you don't have any response to the OP, you could keep your uninformed assumptions to yourself as it has added nothing to the topic.

Perhaps you should decide what slot you fit in. Are you smart enough to use KM or not?

kaltesherz
11-13-17, 18:35

The first rail I busted was my fault, the second was not. Key Mod isn't as durable as M Lok.

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/05/05/details-on-the-ussocom-sponsored-keymod-vs-m-lok-test-conducted-at-nswc-crane/

ghostly
11-13-17, 19:31
Perhaps you should decide what slot you fit in. Are you smart enough to use KM or not?

Dude, give it up. There are lots of guys that have had an issue, especially with the original magnesium blend rail they quit making because it sucked. Get off your emotional attachment to a flawed system. You don't know half what you think you do. And GFY.

JSantoro
11-14-17, 08:10
Knock it off.

They're rail systems, not the hugs from your father always wanted but never got. They just don't rate this level of emotion.

markm
11-14-17, 10:38
The only rail I ever wrecked was a LaRue 10" (I think) I had the DD fixed front sight at the end. I smashed the crap out of the sight, and the LaRue has thin vertical walls under the pic rail It got bent to hell. I sorta fixed it by attaching an old carry handle and bending it back. But I never could love the thing after that because I didn't know if it was structurally sound.