PDA

View Full Version : Round count logs

contax_shooter
11-13-17, 20:58
How do you guys log round counts? I can’t keep track of what I wore or ate the day before, nevermind managing my bank account.

I’m not going to maintain an excel spreadsheet and notebooks get lost after the first range trip.

Zirk208
11-13-17, 21:04
I use one of those hipster "Field Notes" pocket notebooks and just keep a running round count for each firearm. I keep it in the safe and update when I unload after a range trip. It's probably off by a few hundred +/- but it's close.

fishindogwood
11-13-17, 21:08
I just use the “notes” in my phone to jot down round count when convenient, as well as an inventory of ammo types on hand. We always have our phones so it’s easy and convenient. It will even automatically transfer to a new phone so data shouldn’t get lost over time.

odugrad
11-13-17, 21:20
I just use a scrap piece of paper I keep in a magazine. I have a column with the rifle and just keep scratching out the previous round count with the new number next to the rifle. Nothing fancy or neat to look at.

Sancho Panza
11-13-17, 21:20
I Use Index Cards bound in a spiral.

DGB
11-13-17, 21:28
Regular spiral notebook. I also include any malfunctions, weather conditions, drills etc. It has, at times, helped me but not very often. I think it's an OCD thing, but the only person's time I'm wasting by doing it is mine, so I'll just keep doing it.

sinister
11-13-17, 21:29
Several vendors carry knock-offs of GI round count books.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71Dfrr4gzML._SL1024_.jpg

ghostly
11-13-17, 21:57
On precision rifles, I use round count books kept in my shooting kit. I also count primers---I buy enough primers to wear out a barrel all at once. At any time I can count how many are missing from the stash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

militarymoron
11-13-17, 22:00
TangoDown offers a pack of 5 weapon record books for $10.50:
https://tangodown.com/shop/tangodown-shooters-log-pack-of-5/

https://tangodown.com/wp-content/shopp_images/FC1C1645.JPG

contax_shooter
11-13-17, 22:00
Several vendors carry knock-offs of GI round count books.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71Dfrr4gzML._SL1024_.jpg

I may make a few of those and stash them in the grips.

In the end, paper and pen methods get old real quick. I might just stick with using “notes” on my iPhone and let the data get lost overtime.

Stickman
11-13-17, 23:19
How do you guys log round counts? I can’t keep track of what I wore or ate the day before, nevermind managing my bank account.

I’m not going to maintain an excel spreadsheet and notebooks get lost after the first range trip.

101,500 rounds on my G21 until it was seized.

RHINOWSO
11-13-17, 23:23
Type it into my phone on the range then transcript into those little log books.

Easy peasy.

darr3239
11-14-17, 00:08
101,500 rounds on my G21 until it was seized.

Was seized, or seized? :D

Stickman
11-14-17, 00:33
Was seized, or seized? :D

It was seized.

5.56 Bonded SP
11-14-17, 02:44
I tried once with a new sig550 i got a few years ago. It got really difficult/tedious after about six months so I just gave up and started estimating instead.

I buy cases of ammo at a time, and use the case (1000rounds) as an ambiguous way to estimate round counts. I separate my shooting and storage ammo which helps.

Some guys must be really anal retentive to have such accurate and meticulous round counts. ( no offense intended at all ). I'm anal/ocd about many things, but way too lazy to try and keep track of precise round counts. The difficulty in keeping accurate round counts I think gets increased when a person owns many firearms in the same caliber.

Cold/Bore
11-14-17, 06:52
It was seized.

By who and why? Inquiring minds want to know.

wahoo95
11-14-17, 07:15
What's the purpose? I can see why with a precision rifle but for AR'S and pistols I don't see the value in keeping a log outside of my general estimation based on my shooting habits.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

11-14-17, 07:19
I’ve gotten tired of excell spreadsheets or paper logging each range trip. So what I do now is buy a case of ammo and label it for the gun, even if I own other same caliber guns. If I lend or borrow a few mags to/from a buddy or another gun, I mark that on the side of the ammo case. Then I log the case when it’s spent.

Some of my guns I am to lazy to log anymore, and just deal with wear or breakage as it occurs.

Sancho Panza
11-14-17, 07:40
What's the purpose? I can see why with a precision rifle but for AR'S and pistols I don't see the value in keeping a log outside of my general estimation based on my shooting habits.

I like to know when it's near time for barrel replacement.

contax_shooter
11-14-17, 07:41

I’m inspired by Ned’s 1911 thread and want to keep a log for maintenance purposes similar to my car.

11-14-17, 07:57
I have two training handguns and one stainless barreled AR that I just keep a paper spreadsheet for.

My other ARs are not shot as much and were not built from all new parts, so they just get inspected. From what I've seen, most everything on an AR will let you know when it's getting ready to go, except the bolt. They just go whenever they want.

tehpwnag3
11-14-17, 08:12
I think replacement items are easier to track with a round count log. Similar to a vehicle's suggested maintenance schedule and chart based on mileage.

Jewell
11-14-17, 08:47
I keep a few Rite in the Rain notebooks.

pezboy
11-14-17, 09:38
Are you posting on a PC or smart phone? I use Google Keep.

26 Inf
11-14-17, 09:38
Wally World Pocket Notebooks. I divide them by using a piece of duct tape to make tabs for high use pistol or rifle. One for notebook for high use pistols and another for rifles.

Only reason I keep them is to track rounds for replacing wear parts. I round to the nearest 10 and keep a running tally, makes the math easier.

They are in the small end pocket of the primary range bag. I place one on each side of my timer which is the only other thing in that pocket. This serves to cushion the timer and as a reminder to jot down the rounds. I still forget

I have a serial number log in on my computer that I use to keep track of the dates I replace parts on pistols I carry.

Rayrevolver
11-14-17, 09:51
I have a word document for every firearm, suppressor etc.

Put notes about when or where I purchased and then log rounds and any malfunctions.

I am more interested in failure data etc than total round counts, but those are helpful for recoil spring changes etc.

Along with numbering magazines, how else are you going to remember what happened and when, with what flavor of ammo.

wahoo95
11-14-17, 09:59
I like to know when it's near time for barrel replacement.For anything outside of a precision rifle that time is way down the road and will show up when the groups loosen up too much. You don't need round counts to know that especially since it will vary from barrel to barrel and you'll end up using accuracy as a determination anyways. Should be able to determine whether you've put closer to 10k or 20k rounds on a gun without a log. If you're worried about small parts just change them on a scheduled basis such annual or semi annual etc depending on your shooting schedule rather than a log since the log won't determine when parts will fail.

Tracking failures? They're caused by so many different variables with ammo and mags being the most common culprits that I've never felt the need to track it. I can generally tell an ammo issue from a mag issue so I deal with each accordingly. If it's ammo related and not an anomaly it'll make itself very clear and you won't need a log for that. I don't need a log to remember if my gun didn't like a certain flavor or ammo and a log won't help with the occasional anomaly caused by an error in manufacturing.
My mags are marked so if it's related to a bad mag and the problem happens more than a few times toss the mag and the problem is solved. I'm not against anyone keeping a log if they feel the need to, just saying it's really not needed as much as some may feel.

markm
11-14-17, 10:32
Lol... Round count logs. We don't need no stinking round count logs.

contax_shooter
11-14-17, 10:59

Now that I think of it, I don’t believe Army Unit Amorers track that information like motor pool NCO’s do with vehicles

gunnerblue
11-14-17, 11:23
I keep a loose estimation based on the amount of components I’ve bought for a specific weapon. I buy bullets and primers by the case so I’m in the ballpark. I let my groups tell me if it’s time to replace a barrel.

kerplode
11-14-17, 13:01

I don't bother with this either...I did try for a while, but it mostly seemed like a waste of time so I gave up.

markm
11-14-17, 14:02
I don't bother with this either...I did try for a while, but it mostly seemed like a waste of time so I gave up.

Same here. Life is too short. It's an individual thing though. We're way too disorganized for this type of thing.

26 Inf
11-14-17, 16:20

How else can you post you fired 86,549 rounds to vet a magpul magazine for your carry gun?

Glock9mm1990
11-14-17, 16:20
I just keep mine in my note section on my phone.

11-14-17, 17:40
How else can you post you fired 86,549 rounds to vet a magpul magazine for your carry gun?

From the one mag. Without cleaning. One coat of seal lube at initiation of the test. All rounds are singles from low ready.

I totally did that last month alone. This month I’m testing my second PMag.

markm
11-14-17, 17:52

:lol:

RustyIron
11-14-17, 21:40
How do you guys log round counts?

I'm a shooter, not a bean counter.

26 Inf
11-15-17, 00:01
From the one mag. Without cleaning. One coat of seal lube at initiation of the test. All rounds are singles from low ready.

I totally did that last month alone. This month I’m testing my second PMag.

If you are going to operate operationally you need to re-vet the mag after you clean the pistol.

usmcvet
11-15-17, 07:44

Words of wisdom. I don’t care. But it’s cool if you guys do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slimedog
11-15-17, 09:42
Winter is for planning, inventory, record keeping, maintenance and reloading...

I use Excel to manage my entire life (budget, investments, diet/exercise, birthdays/holidays, fantasy football, car maintenance, firearms, etc.). Knowing things like how many rounds the G17 has on the current recoil spring or how ASC 20 round mags didn't lock the bolt back on one of my ARs in 2011 gives me peace of mind.

As a 50 something engineer, Excel is really the only tool I still know how to use effectively - so I use it with extreme prejudice.

-SlimeDog

EzGoingKev
11-16-17, 06:19
I keep a log of rounds fired and when parts were installed in an Access database.

At some point in time I will set up some queries that I can run that will show me when it is time to replace parts.