PDA

View Full Version : trijicon accupoint

sgtmajor
10-10-08, 23:38
how do you guys like the German crosshair? what are your opinions about it? im thinking about getting it for a custom upper that im having done thats rolling a noveske 16" recon i would love to squander my child's college fund on optics but thats not an option:D

http://trijicon-inc.com/parts/German4.jpg
http://trijicon-inc.com/parts/TR21-3web1.jpg

Parabellum9x19mm
10-11-08, 00:12
i like the original TR21. i dont like the #4 german duplex offerings. offers no advantage and just clutters the sight picture.

also, you might want to reconsider your signature...i know people love it on the SIG and HK forums, but people are less enamored with sig-lists over here. you should try to fit better in and have some sort of kick-ass saying in greek or latin.

bullitt5172
10-11-08, 08:53
i like the original TR21. i dont like the #4 german duplex offerings. offers no advantage and just clutters the sight picture.
also, you might want to reconsider your signature...i know people love it on the SIG and HK forums, but people are less enamored with sig-lists over here. you should try to fit better in and have some sort of kick-ass saying in greek or latin.

I would add that is your opinion, nearly everyone that has seen it in person really likes it. I run one and it works great on an AR.

Nick S
10-11-08, 09:42
bullitt

any plans for mil-dots or ACOG-like BDC in the 1.25-4 Accupoint?

Thanks

Nick

Parabellum9x19mm
10-11-08, 09:51
I would add that is your opinion, nearly everyone that has seen it in person really likes it. I run one and it works great on an AR.

yup. just my high-drag, low speed opinion. i thought i made it clear by prefacing my statements with "i like" or "i don't like"...but maybe i should have included a better disclaimer :p

i have seen this reticule in person, but i find the tip of the triangle of the original TR21 to be a more precise POA than the dot + duplex. i find it to be less cluttered and faster, but that's just me. i don't think anyone would say that more options is ever a bad thing...and Trijicon has loads of options.

use whatever works best for you.

and if you couldn't tell, i was just playing around about the sig-line comment ;)

Gutshot John
10-11-08, 10:24
I love the original TR-21 and run mine exclusively. One of its big plusses is that you can run it both eyes open which is what the fancy-term BAC means.

I don't really like the new reticles, and I can find no real advantage with the one I saw and iirc the Trij rep said it didn't have the BAC capability. All in all I didn't really like it enough to switch from the original.

If you're using it more as a sniper scope on a precision rifle, than the mil-dot, german reticle might be quite nice, less so on an M4. That being said, if that was my purpose, I'd go with much nicer glass.

bullitt5172
10-11-08, 22:46
yup. just my high-drag, low speed opinion. i thought i made it clear by prefacing my statements with "i like" or "i don't like"...but maybe i should have included a better disclaimer :p

i have seen this reticule in person, but i find the tip of the triangle of the original TR21 to be a more precise POA than the dot + duplex. i find it to be less cluttered and faster, but that's just me. i don't think anyone would say that more options is ever a bad thing...and Trijicon has loads of options.

use whatever works best for you.

and if you couldn't tell, i was just playing around about the sig-line comment ;)

You were talking about my sig line???

bullitt5172
10-11-08, 22:47
bullitt

any plans for mil-dots or ACOG-like BDC in the 1.25-4 Accupoint?

Thanks

Nick

I'm pushing for it, we'll see if I can get anyone in the office to agree with me :D

sgtmajor
10-11-08, 23:07
I'm pushing for it, we'll see if I can get anyone in the office to agree with me :D

champagne would fall from the heavens and angels would sing if you could get us a accupoint with a BDC thats my whole reasoning behind not purchasing one yet.

MisterWilson
10-12-08, 01:37
champagne would fall from the heavens and angels would sing if you could get us a accupoint with a BDC thats my whole reasoning behind not purchasing one yet.

This.

Parabellum9x19mm
10-12-08, 02:00
You were talking about my sig line???

no, i was talking to the OP but he got rid of it ;)

its all love. i was just playing around.

but the whole listing your firearm collection in your sig-line is a pet peeve of mine. its so commonplace on firearms boards nowadays, i'm glad we have an oasis here where such practice is less common.

thanks for getting rid of it, OP. mega props to you!!!!!! now you need to replace it with "kafir" in arabic script or "come take them" in greek or something like that :D hehe

Bushytale
10-12-08, 02:56
another vote for the amber triangle. If it washes out you have a black post with a point. I have mine mounted on a 16 inch and zero at 50 yards which keeps you about + or - 2 inches out to about 225. I also see no need to clutter the sight picture. my .02

uscbigdawg
10-12-08, 18:43
I'm partial to the red triangle over the other offerings. However, the ultimate design for me in an Accupoint would be true 1x, a chevron and then like 2-3 vertical stadia.

Rich

ETA: I guess it'd be horizontal stadia (i.e. for vertical hold offs, but y'all know what I meant).

sovereign
10-16-08, 06:36
I'm partial to the red triangle over the other offerings. However, the ultimate design for me in an Accupoint would be true 1x, a chevron and then like 2-3 vertical stadia.

Rich

ETA: I guess it'd be horizontal stadia (i.e. for vertical hold offs, but y'all know what I meant).

Have you tried the German reticle as well? I recently acquired a TR21R nib but have not mounted it yet because something in the back of my head is telling me I want the TR21-3:confused:...

Damascus
10-16-08, 10:48

+1. I'd buy a TR21 TOMORROW if there was one available with some sort of quick ranging reticle... how hard would it be to stick a TA01-NSN crosshair reticle, or even a TA31F's chevron w/ ranging tree in one of those :D
I'd take a mil-dot, but I don't think I'd be "ranging" anything with a 4x scope... but I'd still buy one over the current 3 "contemporary" options lol. Quick reference BDC points would be killer though.

sgtmajor
10-16-08, 23:05
+1. I'd buy a TR21 TOMORROW if there was one available with some sort of quick ranging reticle... how hard would it be to stick a TA01-NSN crosshair reticle, or even a TA31F's chevron w/ ranging tree in one of those :D
I'd take a mil-dot, but I don't think I'd be "ranging" anything with a 4x scope... but I'd still buy one over the current 3 "contemporary" options lol. Quick reference BDC points would be killer though.

this is my point. i wont be doing any 1000 yard shoots my a 4x scope but it would be nice to get out to the 650 range and be able to hit a man sized target.

uscbigdawg
10-17-08, 08:50
I zero the top of the triangle at 100 yards. The bottom is about 200. However, if I'm shooting an array of long targets, I just click up to the longest distance and the hold for the shorter ones. Click back to my original zero when done.

Rich

LOKNLOD
10-17-08, 09:35
The ranging feature could be useful for many but I think it would require some fundamental changes in the design of the optics. Front vs. rear focal plane.

Right now the recticle is fixed in size, and covers more/less of the target depending on the level of magnification (rear focal plane). For the ranging features to work the recticle would need to vary in size with the magnification, so the distance between stadia lines/mil-dots/whatever would remain constant relative to the size of the target (front focal plane).

Design changes to incorporate this into the scope, while maintaining the fiber optic illumination, might be cost prohibitive? I love my TR21R but if it was a $1200 scope instead of a $600 scope, I would still be using my Aimpoint.

I suppose if the recticle could be made simple, and not too "busy" as to be distracting at close range, then it could be designed so the ranging features are only accurate on 4x power? That might be an acceptable compromise.

I would also rather see a ranging recticle than a BDC. With so many varied 5.56 loadings knowing the range and your load's POI at that range is easier for me than trying to correllate where things hit relative to some specific loading. Plus it's good to be able to range things even when you're not shooting at them.

sgtmajor
10-17-08, 11:59
The ranging feature could be useful for many but I think it would require some fundamental changes in the design of the optics. Front vs. rear focal plane.

Right now the recticle is fixed in size, and covers more/less of the target depending on the level of magnification (rear focal plane). For the ranging features to work the recticle would need to vary in size with the magnification, so the distance between stadia lines/mil-dots/whatever would remain constant relative to the size of the target (front focal plane).

Design changes to incorporate this into the scope, while maintaining the fiber optic illumination, might be cost prohibitive? I love my TR21R but if it was a $1200 scope instead of a $600 scope, I would still be using my Aimpoint.

I suppose if the recticle could be made simple, and not too "busy" as to be distracting at close range, then it could be designed so the ranging features are only accurate on 4x power? That might be an acceptable compromise.

I would also rather see a ranging recticle than a BDC. With so many varied 5.56 loadings knowing the range and your load's POI at that range is easier for me than trying to correllate where things hit relative to some specific loading. Plus it's good to be able to range things even when you're not shooting at them.

Not that I argue the fact that the FFP would be nice. However they have made precision scopes for years with RFP. As long as the BDC is calibrated for the correct distance at 4x I personally don’t see it being that big an issue.

LOKNLOD
10-17-08, 13:54
Not that I argue the fact that the FFP would be nice. However they have made precision scopes for years with RFP. As long as the BDC is calibrated for the correct distance at 4x I personally don’t see it being that big an issue.

I agree, that would be the best compromise.

I'm also very pleased with my standard "triangle on a post" recticle though. My actual need for ranging with low-mag variable power optic is pretty minimal.

uscbigdawg
10-17-08, 15:33
Ditto. I prefer a FFP scope, but it's not a necessity on a low power optic like the TR21. Like sgtmajor, as long as it's calibrated at one magnification, then I can do math from there.

Rich

boltcatch
10-19-08, 20:00

I'm assuming they already sell every ACOG they make, and if that is the case - adding some form of BDC or improved reticle to the accupoint would really boost sales.

Mahk
10-19-08, 20:18
Has anyone attempted to put one on a PTR91? I've considered it but was told the length would not give me clearance for the charging handle.

sgtmajor
10-19-08, 21:15

how many people do you think would need to put in a request or show interest in a different reticule option before they consider offering it?

Damascus
10-20-08, 11:57
I'm assuming they already sell every ACOG they make, and if that is the case - adding some form of BDC or improved reticle to the accupoint would really boost sales.

Maybe that's why they don't offer it, maybe they are afraid ACOG sales will plummet LOL. :p
If they sold a 30mm version - heck, S&B would be in trouble LOL.

Battl3fr0nt
10-26-08, 04:54
The BDC works very well on the ACOG, and the reason the ACOG has a BDC is for speed.. I would think on a scope type optic it would be better just to learn to use your torrent and then get even more right on shots.. and if you really want a BDC best thing to do would be just buy a ACOG.. I love the idea and I would like to see a BDC on a Accupoint but there really is no need for one, since its really not a battle optic and its not made for speed.. I would like to see a Mil-line Accupoint tho.. that way it would not be set up for any certan round or grain.. all you would have to do is learn the mildots or mil-lines.. but I would rather just zero my rifle in for that range so I know I would be right on the bull.. like a 10 power accupoint with a mil-line type retical, would be really nice for long range shooting..

sgtmajor
10-26-08, 13:21
The BDC works very well on the ACOG, and the reason the ACOG has a BDC is for speed.. I would think on a scope type optic it would be better just to learn to use your torrent and then get even more right on shots.. and if you really want a BDC best thing to do would be just buy a ACOG.. I love the idea and I would like to see a BDC on a Accupoint but there really is no need for one, since its really not a battle optic and its not made for speed.. I would like to see a Mil-line Accupoint tho.. that way it would not be set up for any certan round or grain.. all you would have to do is learn the mildots or mil-lines.. but I would rather just zero my rifle in for that range so I know I would be right on the bull.. like a 10 power accupoint with a mil-line type retical, would be really nice for long range shooting..

the biggest reason that i personally like the idea of the accupoint over the acog is that fact that its adjustable magnification being able to go from 1.25 to 4 is a greater asset to me. and as far as cranking the knobs goes it would have to have finger knobs like the leapold m3 or so before i would use it in that type of situation, i personally think the BDC would be better. the acog and the accupoint with BDC would serve about the same purpose for me but the adjustable magnification is a big deal i like that setup better than the acog with reddot combo