PDA

View Full Version : What should I be replacing here.

kwelz
11-14-17, 21:05
I beseech you oh great hive mind. Help me fix what I know is a sub par gun.

I picked up this .300 Blackout "pistol" for a deal I couldn't refuse. Manufacturer (assembler) is Civilian Force Arms. Veteran owned and all that.

However I know at least some of it is less than Idea, and that is just something I can't abide.

Things that seem fine, but correct me if I am wrong:

Upper and lower: Meh, they are an upper and lower. Really cool rollmark for what it matters, they fit too tight but I can fix that.
Bolt: Not sure of make, however it is marked MPI. Staking on the carrier is ok but not great. May be ok. May not. Is this as big of a deal as with 5.56?
Furniture: Pistol brace is the one I usually use. Works well. Replaced grip with a BCM.
Trigger: Velocity drop in. Once again my personal favorite for the money.
Sights: ARMS plastic Flip up. Not the best but will work fine.

Now for the questionable or bad.

Barrel: Complete unknown. Only marked .300 Blackout and the twist which is 1/8. It is 10.5 inches with a standard 5/8x24 threaded end.
Rail: Complete shit show. Appears to be a UTG pro rail. This shit needs to be pulled off and crushed in a large hydraulic press. Not that it would take much to crush I am sure.

So a little help here. No real experience with .300 BLK so I am not as sure what to worry about and what is acceptable.

Also anyone know this forge mark on the upper?

RobertTheTexan
11-14-17, 21:28
How does it perform? How does the barrel look? Does it have a round count? It’s a 300BLK with a 10.5 inch barrel so expectations are set accordingly, but how does it perform at 25 m? 50m? Personally I would be more curious as to the function/performance of the weapon and base any changes on that rather than replacing parts that I can’t necessarily identify. Because if stuff isn’t broken, aside from the rail you don’t like, maybe the only thing you need to change right now are magazines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwelz
11-14-17, 21:32
How does it perform? How does the barrel look? Does it have a round count? It’s a 300BLK with a 10.5 inch barrel so expectations are set accordingly, but how does it perform at 25 m? 50m? Personally I would be more curious as to the function/performance of the weapon and base any changes on that rather than replacing parts that I can’t necessarily identify. Because if stuff isn’t broken, aside from the rail you don’t like, maybe the only thing you need to change right now are magazines.

I have not shot it yet. I brought it home tonight and wanted input on the parts. I will be testing it in the next couple days.

It is a new gun so no rounds through it yet by anyone.

RobertTheTexan
11-14-17, 21:46
I have not shot it yet. I brought it home tonight and wanted input on the parts. I will be testing it in the next couple days.

It is a new gun so no rounds through it yet by anyone.

I haven’t been a big fan of UTG Pro, never owned any of their stuff, but some guys on here say the pro line is solid. But honestly I’d wait and see how it runs, address any issues there if any, and then move on to the furniture. Your bcg isn’t the best staked carrier I’ve seen, but it isn’t the worst either. It’s just hard to pass judgment when when you haven’t got a baseline in performance.

Your upper forging mark is for Mueller Industries. Not too familiar but I know they do Bear Creek Arsenal’s uppers, and based on price point, those seem to be on the low end of the totem pole, at least in price, but I have never owned one to confirm either way. Have you tried to marry it up to a known quality lower?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kwelz
11-15-17, 18:39
Thanks for the info. Guess I should follow my own rule and just shoot it.

As stupid as this sounds I am just not used to buying something I don't know 100% so that makes me start questioning things and probably overthinking.

I have actually heard a couple people say the UTG Pro rail is ok. Not sure myself yet but I will abuse it and see what happens. Worst case I destroy it and throw a KMR on there.

1911-A1
11-22-17, 21:21
There's a special satisfaction that comes from taking a risk on a cheap gun and finding out that, against all odds, it runs like a top.

Take it out, shoot it a lot, evaluate it objectively and decide then when and if it needs improving.

Kain
11-22-17, 21:32
OP did you shoot it yet?
I hate to be the asshole, but a no name brand with UTG stuff I'd say replace everything. That has partly to do with no idea on specs on barrel, and having a friend with a UTG rail which had shit flying off that thing under recoil. Didn't give me the warm and fuzzies.

The optimist in me, you know that small, abuse, tortured, and caged bastard, says go shoot it and see what needs to be changed out.

kwelz
11-22-17, 22:02
Guess I should have gotten back to this sooner. I finally got a chance to shoot it last night actually. However before I did that I detail stripped it down as far as humanly possible. Nothing I saw convened me, but of course we all know that many of the problems that arise in a weapon are not visible to the naked eye or detectable by a set of calipers.

I only put around 150 rounds through it since I don't have too much BLK ammo currently. Roughly half was sub sonic and half was super sonic, most were shot suppressed. No issues out of the gun but this isn't near enough rounds to make any solid judgement on. The range was only 25 yards so I couldn't do any real accuracy testing but I was getting one rough hole at that range.

So for now I am fairly happy with it. Especially for the money. However will probably still replace the barrel at some point. I would like something shorter and I don't trust a barrel I can't identify at all. From what digging I have done I believe it may be an Anderson. So I will probably pick up something better in the coming months.

https://i.imgur.com/XAoOl0P.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2uinpTt.jpg?2

Anyone know what CH this is?

https://i.imgur.com/AeJ3jr9.jpg

RobertTheTexan
11-22-17, 22:31

Anyone know what CH this is?

https://i.imgur.com/AeJ3jr9.jpg

Atibal Beatenzone UCH

https://www.atibalsights.com/products/beatenzone-uch-charging-handle-gen-3-7?variant=5621587649

https://i.imgur.com/AeJ3jr9.jpg[/QUOTE]

RobertTheTexan
11-22-17, 22:35
I mean it’s not a crappy craptastic CH. made with good ‘luminim. Has oversized roll pin .
However fails to address the CH blowing out the ass-end issue .
If you like it I say use it until you don’t like it.at $30ish bucks it’s competitive with more popular brands. That must mean it’s gtg. Lol

kwelz
11-22-17, 23:00

Oh trust me I discovered this quite quickly.

Kain
11-22-17, 23:06
I mean it’s not a crappy craptastic CH. made with good ‘luminim. Has oversized roll pin .
If you like it I say use it until you don’t like it.at $30ish bucks it’s competitive with more popular brands. That must mean it’s gtg. Lol

I am sorry, and I may be a bit over served, but I kind of laughed my ass off, at this post.
You know, I remember the days when a shit CH was one that was shiny on one side because you had installed a Badger tact latch on the bitch and was grinding it against the upper because you were subscribing to the heel palm method of charging. And yes, me and my friends did have the Magpul traininging DVDs.

RobertTheTexan
11-22-17, 23:06
Oh trust me I discovered this quite quickly.

Raptor and Vltor (BCM) CH’s have corrected this. Mega too, but I strongly dislike the side latch thing. Seems to put wear on your upper.

You blew the ass out of your CH?!?!

Cool. I want some pics tho.

I bet you can find a CH for less than $35 on BF

RobertTheTexan
11-22-17, 23:13
I am sorry, and I may be a bit over served, but I kind of laughed my ass off, at this post.
You know, I remember the days when a shit CH was one that was shiny on one side because you had installed a Badger tact latch on the bitch and was grinding it against the upper because you were subscribing to the heel palm method of charging. And yes, me and my friends did have the Magpul traininging DVDs.

What are you talking about! My first PIF was a mil spec (supposedly) CH with that big ol’ Badger tac-latch installed. It was great until a buddy sent me a Raptor. Then I realized it did in fact suck balls. The world is filled with guys who clikc8ng through a website see some POS part and day, “Daaaaaaannng I gots to get me one of them.” And another cha-ching.

But no I wasn’t really a fan. My CH would torque on me if I got on it too hard with the tac latch. I dun been edjamakated cents den.

kwelz
11-22-17, 23:18
Raptor and Vltor (BCM) CH’s have corrected this. Mega too, but I strongly dislike the side latch thing. Seems to put wear on your upper.

You blew the ass out of your CH?!?!

Cool. I want some pics tho.

I bet you can find a CH for less than $35 on BF

Sorry was referring to the gas coming out around the CH while shooting superssed..

RobertTheTexan
11-22-17, 23:29
Sorry was referring to the gas coming out around the CH while shooting superssed..

Squirt a bead of RTV there. But a friend of mine whose fired various M4’s and MK18’s on the two-way range told me about the standard mil spec CH blowing its ass end out from too much back pressure.
I just got my first can from NFA hell. Took 17 months. So on Friday when that gas hits me in the face I’m going to just suck it in and blow it out with a big ol smile in my face. But then again. I used to be a gun bunny, we breathed that muzzle blast from our 155 for kicks. It makes just a hair more than AR’s do.

Kain
11-22-17, 23:44
What are you talking about! My first PIF was a mil spec (supposedly) CH with that big ol’ Badger tac-latch installed. It was great until a buddy sent me a Raptor. Then I realized it did in fact suck balls. The world is filled with guys who clikc8ng through a website see some POS part and day, “Daaaaaaannng I gots to get me one of them.” And another cha-ching.

But no I wasn’t really a fan. My CH would torque on me if I got on it too hard with the tac latch. I dun been edjamakated cents den.

DUDE! You hung on to that POS until the Raptor made its debut? Where the hell were you? I swapped mine as soon as I handled one of the Vltor/BCM Chs. it was like, "you mean I can get extra leverage and not torque my CH like a wet noodle during weapon manipulation? Sweet!!!!" Because there were a few times I am surprised I didn't snap that POS Ch in that shrubmaster that I was running at the time. Still have the OG Ch in it, with the Badger Tact latach removed and a standard lever installed, one side is black, the other silver.