PDA

View Full Version : Should I help or not?

Elkhound
10-11-08, 08:20
I have an e-mail pen pal in another country. This person wants me to buy a couple of mags for him and ship them to him as a favor. They are about 40% cheaper here than where he lives. If I did this I would want payment up front. I did some google searching and I did not find any prohibition against doing so (But, this was not a detailed search). Still, I don't want to do anything wrong or illegal.

Does anyone know of a reason why I should not help him?

tjcoker
10-11-08, 08:51
If he's of good moral character and you don't think they will aid in criminal activity then I don't see why not.

RogerinTPA
10-11-08, 10:13
IMHO, you might find info on the US state department's or BATF's website about shipping firearm parts, then, checking with that country's state department to ensure you are not in violation prohibiting the shipment of weapons parts. Send an email to both and see what their response is before you decide to ship. If his country is on the watch list or a "hot spot"(at war, unstable gov't, a major drug exporter, etc..), I'd think three times before sending. If he is an internet email penpal or has access to internet service, he has the same access for ordering as you do. Ignorance of the law is not a good defense in most countries....Let your conscience be your guide.

khc3
10-11-08, 10:26
You are not allowed to export any firearms parts without complying with ITAR fees and regulations, as well as complying with the arms export control act.

So basically don't do it.

hatt
10-11-08, 11:37
It sounds like an awful lot of trouble to get 40% off a small quantity of mags, which are relatively cheap. No way I'd do it and possibly have to deal with legal troubles across several countries.

JBnTX
10-11-08, 11:41
It sounds like an awful lot of trouble to get 40% off a small quantity of mags,....

That's how it will start out.

The serious stuff will be asked for later.

hatt
10-11-08, 11:44
That's how it will start out.

The serious stuff will be asked for later.
No doubt that is the likely path. I don't know how well the "pen pal" is known but I could see .fed and even international agencies doing stuff like this.

tjcoker
10-11-08, 23:44
Man, I didn't see the whole email pen-pal part. Guess I should read the entire thing first. I thought it was a personal friend of yours living in another country. A relationship like that could be anyone and changes my whole line of thinking to align with the other's who responded.

crash5150
10-12-08, 04:31
Don't do it.

Elkhound
10-12-08, 06:11
I think I know this guy about as well as you can know someone via the net. Of course, lots of teenagers say the same thing about their "chat pals" and they are really corresponding with some pedophile. However, when you have doubts about something, that is probably your gut saying "look out, don't do it."

Bottom line here is that there is no up side to this action for me and way too much down side. I would not mind helping him out, but I agree with your assessment - it just is not worth the potential problems it brings.

RogerinTPA
10-12-08, 08:28
Just send him links to bravo company, magpul, and denny's and be done with it.;)

VooDoo6Actual
10-12-08, 08:28
CYA at a minimum.