PDA

View Full Version : 1st Post with questions

novak1911freak
10-11-08, 11:36
Hello all,

I have lurked here occasionally for a while, mainly in the handgun section but I have recently become interested in the AR platform rifle....

a little background.....

My Dad is an LEO so I have been shooting with him and in general for a long time now. I own several handguns, including a high end 1911 (not to be my only one).... The 1911 is, by far, my favorite handgun (this may give you a clue to the motive behind one of my questions)....

Recently, I was shooting at a local range with some friends from work and there was an off-duty LEO who had an M4 style AR that was tricked out (railed handguard, vertical fore grip, Eotech holosight, etc) I am sure there were more features but I am new to the black rifle.... To be honest, I did not find out what the manufacturer was but he let us put some rounds down range and I was bitten by the AR bug....

So I have begun to research one for myself.... I have appreciated this forum and have read through the comparision chart which has made my decicion that much more difficult....

One of the questions that I had was about Wilson Combat M4 style rifles.... I love Wilson style 1911s and they are relatively well liked in the 1911 world.... I have read on this and the other main AR forum that they are over priced..... Is that because of the components used are not worth what they charge or is it a pretty good rifle and you are just paying extra for the Wilson name?

Basically, I have narrowed the choice down to 3: RRA, Wilson Combat and Noveske (all from different ends of the spectrum, as I understand).... I know that most of you will say to get the Noveske because it is the best of the 3, and after my short amount of research thus far, I would agree but I have a tendancy to have bad luck when purchasing a firearm so use of the company's customer service is sometime needed. How is the customer service of RRA and Noveske?

Also, I would like to purchase my rifle online, to save some money, I have a dealer in line if I go with a Wilson or RRA but is there an online dealer that sells Noveske rifles that gives a deal below MSRP? Or is MSRP to be expected for a Noveske?

I love forums like this because there is always someone more experienced than I am which helps when starting out.....

Thanks....

Iraqgunz
10-11-08, 13:46
Unfortunately, the Wilson thread here was deleted. The bottom line appears to be that Wilson uses less then stellar components and charges a premium for their rifles. For the money a Noveske, Colt or LMT would serve you better.

Hello all,

I have lurked here occasionally for a while, mainly in the handgun section but I have recently become interested in the AR platform rifle....

a little background.....

My Dad is an LEO so I have been shooting with him and in general for a long time now. I own several handguns, including a high end 1911 (not to be my only one).... The 1911 is, by far, my favorite handgun (this may give you a clue to the motive behind one of my questions)....

Recently, I was shooting at a local range with some friends from work and there was an off-duty LEO who had an M4 style AR that was tricked out (railed handguard, vertical fore grip, Eotech holosight, etc) I am sure there were more features but I am new to the black rifle.... To be honest, I did not find out what the manufacturer was but he let us put some rounds down range and I was bitten by the AR bug....

So I have begun to research one for myself.... I have appreciated this forum and have read through the comparision chart which has made my decicion that much more difficult....

One of the questions that I had was about Wilson Combat M4 style rifles.... I love Wilson style 1911s and they are relatively well liked in the 1911 world.... I have read on this and the other main AR forum that they are over priced..... Is that because of the components used are not worth what they charge or is it a pretty good rifle and you are just paying extra for the Wilson name?

Basically, I have narrowed the choice down to 3: RRA, Wilson Combat and Noveske (all from different ends of the spectrum, as I understand).... I know that most of you will say to get the Noveske because it is the best of the 3, and after my short amount of research thus far, I would agree but I have a tendancy to have bad luck when purchasing a firearm so use of the company's customer service is sometime needed. How is the customer service of RRA and Noveske?

Also, I would like to purchase my rifle online, to save some money, I have a dealer in line if I go with a Wilson or RRA but is there an online dealer that sells Noveske rifles that gives a deal below MSRP? Or is MSRP to be expected for a Noveske?

I love forums like this because there is always someone more experienced than I am which helps when starting out.....

Thanks....

STI2031
10-11-08, 14:16
I just picked up my Noveske yesterday, the quality and workmanship is suburb.

I have had the opportunity to compare AR platforms from the following Bushmaster, Rock River, and Armalite and went with the Noveske.

My FFL is an Armorer for the company I work for, and he was really impressed with the Noveske.

Hound_va
10-11-08, 15:10
Unfortunately, the Wilson thread here was deleted. The bottom line appears to be that Wilson uses less then stellar components and charges a premium for their rifles. For the money a Noveske, Colt or LMT would serve you better.

The Wilson example that was shown also had less than stellar assembly to further hinder the less than stellar components.

GONIF
10-11-08, 15:32
Buy a LMT or BCM upper ,build a lower . that way you get exactly what you want and it will cost you less . buy the best you can afford the first time and you will be happy longer. how about a BCM middy upper with a DD rail,and a LMT lower with a SOPMOD stock and an upgraded trigger . check with Grant he can set you up with a rifle that will be the envy of all your friends . :D

novak1911freak
10-11-08, 16:26
Thanks for the replies.... I don't know if I want to build one for my first AR15 but I may consider it if it is cheaper..... The more I look, the more I am leaning towards a Noveske but I am curious what the differences of the different models.....

What is the difference between the N4 Light Carbine Basic and the N4 Light Reece Basic 16"?

And, what is the difference between the N4 with VIS and the N4 FSR?

Thanks...

jhs1969
10-11-08, 16:54
I own a LMT and it is by far the best I've ever owned, this after approx 16 Bushmasters, (the current BM now belongs to my wife:D) and 6 older civilian Colts. My current plan is a Colt 6920 if stock and price hold for the next 3-4 months. Back on topic, I gather from the chart and peoples' posts that the top three go as Colt, LMT, Noveske. I ordered my LMT as a complete lower and a complete upper from the same dealer at the same time for $1056 in March of this year. Currently Colt's 6920 seem to be going for $1200-1250. I belive this will be well below the cost of a Wilson with better componets and assembly. The BCM, I understand, has top shelf quality, you would just need to order a good lower to put it on. Good people with a lot more experience than me have already responded and many more likely will and I will venture to guess their advice will pretty much echo what has already been posted. I am soon approaching another M4 purchase and am considering Colt, LMT, LMT MRP and a BCM build on a LMT lower. I belive you will spend less money, get a better rifle and be more satisfied with one of the above. Again this is my opinion, good luck. It is good to see our 'disease' spread.

A_shizzle
10-11-08, 17:06
As others have stated Colt, LMT, BCM and Noveske will be your best bet. I just recently put together my own and there is really nothing to it. I went with a LMT defender lower and a BCM m4 upper. It is INCREDIBLE. Both of those companies are superb. All you need to do to put your own together is a complete lower, a complete upper group, a bolt carrier group, and a charging handle. Then you have a funtional rifle and a ton of sights availble from good ole irons to Trijicons. If you were to get just a basic complete LMT lower($330) a BCM upper group,(450) LMT or BCM bolt carrier group(130) and charging handle(20) plus regular handguards, ($30ish) it would run you around $960 for one hell of a rifle. Then just add whatever sights you want and you could always upgrade to rails and a ton of other accesories. Anyways this worked very well for me just thought id throw that suggestion out there. Good luck!

You can get all of this stuff from Grant at GandRtactical.com