PDA

View Full Version : Learning to shoot a handgun well!

5.56Geo
11-18-17, 10:24
My story...

After years of picking up bad handgun shooting habits and leaving the range dejected because I couldn't shoot a decent group I gave up! I would get invites to the range and I would make excuses as to why I couldn't go. Well, thing have changed now. A group of avid shooter friends took me under their wings and schooled me. Listed below are a few things that have helped me.

1. Get rid of all the unnecessary aftermarket gimmick crap hanging off your gun.
2. Install good sights where the sight picture is clear for your eyes.
3. Limit yourself to one handgun per range visit until you master it.
4. Use one ammo brand per range session, different ammo manufactures tend to have different POA to POI that will drive you crazy.
5. Don't chase POI or you will be all over the target.
6. Master 7 yards before you move to 10 yards.
7. Learn to hold the gun.
8. Choose a shooting stance that works with your body ergonomics.
9. practice controlled breathing while shooting.
10. When not at the range dry fire it as much as possible (in a safe direction with an unloaded handgun observing muzzle awareness).

There are other good tips but the ones I listed are the ones that help me the most. One thing I learned is there are few natural born "Good shooters", most become good after 1000's of rounds down range. There is no substitute for practice. I may not post a lot but I do spend hours here reading and you'll have been a help too.

As a reward to myself I bought a new gun!

Glock 19 OD with the following upgrades;
4.5lbs Factory Glock connector
Heinie SlantPro Straight Eight sights
Imforce APLc light

https://i.imgur.com/5l3Oslel.jpg

WillBrink
11-18-17, 10:44
My story...

After years of picking up bad handgun shooting habits and leaving the range dejected because I couldn't shoot a decent group I gave up! I would get invites to the range and I would make excuses as to why I couldn't go. Well, thing have changed now. A group of avid shooter friends took me under their wings and schooled me. Listed below are a few things that have helped me.

1. Get rid of all the unnecessary aftermarket gimmick crap hanging off your gun.
2. Install good sights where the sight picture is clear for your eyes.
3. Limit yourself to one handgun per range visit until you master it.
4. Use one ammo brand per range session, different ammo manufactures tend to have different POA to POI that will drive you crazy.
5. Don't chase POI or you will be all over the target.
6. Master 7 yards before you move to 10 yards.
7. Learn to hold the gun.
8. Choose a shooting stance that works with your body ergonomics.
9. practice controlled breathing while shooting.
10. When not at the range dry fire it as much as possible (in a safe direction with an unloaded handgun observing muzzle awareness).

There are other good tips but the ones I listed are the ones that help me the most. One thing I learned is there are few natural born "Good shooters", most become good after 1000's of rounds down range. There is no substitute for practice. I may not post a lot but I do spend hours here reading and you'll have been a help too.

As a reward to myself I bought a new gun!

Glock 19 OD with the following upgrades;
4.5lbs Factory Glock connector
Heinie SlantPro Straight Eight sights
Imforce APLc light

Not trying to be a dick, but how did you define that? What objective metrics used? Some may think that slow fire and one ragged hole = mastery and so forth. Then there's the Q, mastery for what and of what? Accuracy for target shooting, CQB? Other? I'd probably use the term "proficient" and then define that. Is that from concealment? Etc, etc. Some valid tips for sure (and I'm far from a BTDT fire arms trainer BTW) but I'd say some revisions needed before it's ready for prime time.

5.56Geo
11-18-17, 10:57
^^^^^^^

The term "Master" is a relative term, most people understand that. I know of only one Master and the rest of us are Grasshoppers!

My point is start small before you move on to bigger. Be good at 7 yards before you try and be good at 10 yards.

Biggy
11-18-17, 11:16
I'd say this guy can help you get a good foundation with your pistol shooting. Jerry Miculek goes over basic and advanced techniques that are sure to make you a better pistol shooter. Complete with high speed demonstrations of grip techniques. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChSazF41q-s&t=224s

darr3239
11-18-17, 13:44
Your points sound just fine to me. Work on accuracy first, and then add speed.