PDA

View Full Version : whats the best free float rail that uses standard g.i. barrel nut

bobbytucson
11-19-17, 20:52
other than troy (not a fan anymore since my vtac alpha rail bottom screw keeps getting lost during classes even though i loctittied it), whats a decent f.f. quad or keymod rail you guys prefer that uses standard g.i. barrel nut? not concerned with looks or weight , i prefer an excellent anti rotation lockup. anybody with experience on your preferences appreciated much

titsonritz
11-19-17, 20:57
Centurion C4

Nightstalker865
11-19-17, 21:01
I second that suggestion.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171120/bbf98a538179fbb508f649a405699a27.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171120/a8d55da4ac215125933fb835d635a6eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stickman
11-19-17, 21:06
I’ll third that one, because it flat out works and works well. There are others, but the C4 rail has a solid reputation.

RobertTheTexan
11-19-17, 21:07
I agree with re C4, I have one and the ky 2nd favorite rail.

Do you have to use a mil spec barrel nut?

gunnerblue
11-19-17, 21:45
I use a DD Omega on my work rifle as per policy I can’t remove the hand guard front retaining ring. i also like the shape which is more thin than tall. Very solid lockup.

bobbytucson
11-19-17, 21:58
I agree with re C4, I have one and the ky 2nd favorite rail.

Do you have to use a mil spec barrel nut?

thanks guys, looks like ill be getting the c4! i was hoping someone would say midwest since they typically dont cost a fortune lol.

and RTT, on this particular build, yes. i built an upper, decided to switch to a different barrel and gas block, but, the set screws in the lo pro gas block stripped like a mofo, im just to lazy to start messing with the gas rod pin and rod just to get the barrel nut off to swap barrels, just gonna keep this barrel on the upper now until it shoots out.

bobbytucson
11-19-17, 22:05
well, c4 is a no go, i want something atleast 13'' and they only make one up to 12'', i really want a 15'' if there is one. anybody else have any suggestions?

freefly
11-19-17, 22:14
thanks guys, looks like ill be getting the c4! i was hoping someone would say midwest since they typically dont cost a fortune lol.
Big fan of the C4 rails here as well.

However, if you are looking to save a few bucks (like $100+), and it doesn't have to be a traditional quad-rail, you might look at the Samson Evolution rails.
They are very solid and utilize the stock barrel nut. They were sort of a forerunner to all of the current modular rails out there (allowing you to attach rail sections where you need/want them).
Worth a look, IMO. But yeah, for a cost-no-object quad-rail, the C4 is hard to beat.

freefly
11-19-17, 22:20
i really want a 15'' if there is one. anybody else have any suggestions?
Might not be the lowest price out there, but this seem like a pretty decent deal to me on a 15" Evo:
Samson Evo 15 $154.95 Shipped (https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SAM%2DEVO%2DRAIL)

RobertTheTexan
11-19-17, 22:20
well, c4 is a no go, i want something atleast 13'' and they only make one up to 12'', i really want a 15'' if there is one. anybody else have any suggestions?

You asked for our best recommendation and Centurion is solid, plus Monty has always treated me exceptional well. I don’t think that Midwest Industries makes crappy rails, I just cannot personally vouch for them. I have ran several Troy rails though. Troy VTAC x 2, Troy Alpha and a couple of Troy Bravo’s. My Troy Bravo’s lock up nicely and I have never had an issue with a particular screw falling out. I’m not a huge rant of 2 piece rails though. Have you tried to contactTroy?

What’s your timeline?

Also I have been BTDT on stripped set screws. I would tell you that drilling out that set screw is easier than you think because I believe the screw is softer than the gas block. I did one and just had to get a new set screw. I feel you though, but if it were me, I’d drill it out.
I know because I have a friends 308 barrel on my bench now that I will be dealing with that very issue. I could leave as is with the same crummy barrel nut and rail or drill it out and out what he deserves to have.

Why?

Because anything worth doing is worth doing right. :-)

C4 is my 2nd favorite quad. LaRue Tactical, in my opinion makes the best dang quad rail. Period. The lock up is ridiculously tight. Their barrel nut and mounting system pretty much ensures you are going to have a rail and TDC in relation to your upper. (Without truing it up manually) But that goes back to breaking out your drill and getting hot on that set screw. Hmm there is a theme to my post but I can’t put my finger on it.. LOL

bobbytucson
11-19-17, 22:29
You asked for our best recommendation and Centurion is solid, plus Monty has always treated me exceptional well. I don’t think that Midwest Industries makes crappy rails, I just cannot personally vouch for them. I have ran several Troy rails though. Troy VTAC x 2, Troy Alpha and a couple of Troy Bravo’s. My Troy Bravo’s lock up nicely and I have never had an issue with a particular screw falling out. I’m not a huge rant of 2 piece rails though. Have you tried to contactTroy?

What’s your timeline?

Also I have been BTDT on stripped set screws. I would tell you that drilling out that set screw is easier than you think because I believe the screw is softer than the gas block. I did one and just had to get a new set screw. I feel you though, but if it were me, I’d drill it out.
I know because I have a friends 308 barrel on my bench now that I will be dealing with that very issue. I could leave as is with the same crummy barrel nut and rail or drill it out and out what he deserves to have.

Why?

Because anything worth doing is worth doing right. :-)

C4 is my 2nd favorite quad. LaRue Tactical, in my opinion makes the best dang quad rail. Period. The lock up is ridiculously tight. Their barrel nut and mounting system pretty much ensures you are going to have a rail and TDC in relation to your upper. (Without truing it up manually) But that goes back to breaking out your drill and getting hot on that set screw. Hmm there is a theme to my post but I can’t put my finger on it.. LOL

i looked at larue that thing looks freaking beefy. do you happen to know off hand what size bit and material of bit ill need to drill out set screw?

Hammer_Man
11-19-17, 22:53
i used to run 15" rails on all my builds, but I've gone back to 12" - 13" rails. IMO you're not gaining anything useful by extending the handguard all the way out to the muzzle of your barrel.

NYH1
11-19-17, 23:23
I have a Centurion C4 Carbine Length Cutout Rail on one of my carbines and really like it. As mentioned Monty is a good dude.

NYH1.

bobbytucson
11-19-17, 23:31
who is monty?

RobertTheTexan
11-19-17, 23:33
who is monty?

The guy who owns Centurion Arms. Former SEAL, all around awesome brother.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

friendlyfireisnt
11-19-17, 23:34
who is monty?

Owner of centurion arms, and a former SEAL.

hickuleas
11-20-17, 00:18
The Fortis Rev II uses GI barrel nut and can be had in m-lok and keymod.

RobertTheTexan
11-20-17, 00:28
i looked at larue that thing looks freaking beefy. do you happen to know off hand what size bit and material of bit ill need to drill out set screw?

It’s the full meal deal. It ain’t light nor for the faint of heart though. Lol
I’ll get you a bit size in the morning.

I may have missed it but what Upper is this for? Barrel length? Gas system?

^Rb
11-20-17, 00:29

This is pretty much the most-retarded reason ever for not getting one. :rolleyes:

I have a 12" C4 rail and have been running it for years. No issues. Save for Daniel Defense, there really is no other comparable rail that uses the USGI barrel nut.

Iraqgunz
11-20-17, 01:34
You aren't going to notice the difference between a 12" or 13" rail. Centurion Arms C4 rails are excellent and I have them on several guns.

Outlander Systems
11-20-17, 06:55
But 12" vs 13" is the difference between looking good and looking GREAT!

:rolleyes:

You aren't going to notice the difference between a 12" or 13" rail. Centurion Arms C4 rails are excellent and I have them on several guns.

jinxy
11-20-17, 08:32
A few from centurion and also Fortis are great with mil spec nuts

Cold/Bore
11-20-17, 08:35
Anyone know if they’ll ever make a Mlok version of the C4 rail?

11-20-17, 10:01
Anyone know if they’ll ever make a Mlok version of the C4 rail?

A FSB cutout version would really get my attention.

bobbytucson
11-20-17, 22:10
The guy who owns Centurion Arms. Former SEAL, all around awesome brother.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

well i want to buy his products now !!

bobbytucson
11-20-17, 22:11
It’s the full meal deal. It ain’t light nor for the faint of heart though. Lol
I’ll get you a bit size in the morning.

I may have missed it but what Upper is this for? Barrel length? Gas system?

palmetto stainless 16'', mid length, thanks bro !

bobbytucson
11-20-17, 22:14
This is pretty much the most-retarded reason ever for not getting one. :rolleyes:

I have a 12" C4 rail and have been running it for years. No issues. Save for Daniel Defense, there really is no other comparable rail that uses the USGI barrel nut.

i kinda disagree with you, i prefer 15'' because when i clamp my rail with my support hand, its pretty far down the rail, i have long arms and hands, so i hate canting my elbows for short rails. also because when i brace my rifle on a vtac wall or objects, i dont affect my zero

omegajb
11-21-17, 05:09
I use the Troy Charlie quad rail and it's been bombproof for me but isn't long enough for your requirements.
I'm not sure why you've had issues losing a screw. If it's the same one it could be something wrong with the treads and Troy might cover it under warranty.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

hk_shootr
11-21-17, 06:38

If that is what you want, why are you limiting yourself to using the factory nut?

jstalford
11-21-17, 08:14
The longer you go, the more apparent the short comings of the gi nut are.

Clint
11-21-17, 08:31
i built an upper, decided to switch to a different barrel and gas block, but, the set screws in the lo pro gas block stripped like a mofo, im just to lazy to start messing with the gas rod pin and rod just to get the barrel nut off to swap barrels, just gonna keep this barrel on the upper now until it shoots out.

The G.I. Barrel nut really limits the choices on rails.

Drilling the screws out or even cutting off the gas block and replacing allows the installation of your favorite rail.

It's really not that hard to make it right.

Any good armorer should be able to accomplish that if you send it out.

titsonritz
11-21-17, 10:34
The G.I. Barrel nut really limits the choices on rails.

Drilling the screws out or even cutting off the gas block and replacing allows the installation of your favorite rail.

It's really not that hard to make it right.

Any good armorer should be able to accomplish that if you send it out.

And if you can't find help in Tucson you're not looking very hard.

Stickman
11-21-17, 10:42
Go with the Fortis rail, it is GTG and should be available in longer sizes iirc.

ETA- here it is in 14”

https://fortismfg.com/rails/ar15-fortis-REV-2-free-float-rail-system-14-MLOK
https://fortismfg.com/rails/ar15-fortis-REV-2-free-float-rail-system-14-MLOK

freefly
11-21-17, 14:29
i kinda disagree with you, i prefer 15'' because when i clamp my rail with my support hand, its pretty far down the rail, i have long arms and hands, so i hate canting my elbows for short rails. also because when i brace my rifle on a vtac wall or objects, i dont affect my zero
You want a good 15" rail that uses the factory nut, with solid lock-up, that "doesn't cost a fortune".
So, just curious why no love for the 15" Samson Evo I posted on page 1 (@ under $155 shipped)?

titsonritz
11-21-17, 14:56
I've been tracking this discussion and want to confirm that if I want to put a rail instead of traditional handguard on my OEM-1 Colt 6920 upper, without having to remove the front sight, bayo lug and sling attachment my best option is a C4 Centurian rail? Correct?

Yes and no. If you do not want to take it apart you will need cut off the delta ring assembly and front handguard cap, if you do not wish to destroy those parts you must disassemble it.

VALG17
11-21-17, 14:58
I've been tracking this discussion and want to confirm that if I want to put a rail instead of traditional handguard on my OEM-1 Colt 6920 upper, without having to remove the front sight, bayo lug and sling attachment my best option is a C4 Centurian rail? Correct?

OK, I've got no problem with cutting off the Delta ring, cutting off the spring, etc. Is the front handguard cap also easy to cut off with a dremel? I'm more concerned about the bayo lug and sling mount.

titsonritz
11-21-17, 15:04
OK, I've got no problem with cutting off the Delta ring, cutting off the spring, etc. Is the front handguard cap also easy to cut off with a dremel? I'm more concerned about the bayo lug and sling mount.

You want to be careful not to hit the gas tube, I'd recommend tin shears on the cap. You do not need to remove the bayonet lug, the sling swivel is easily removed with a pin punch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg6stZBPzLU

Iraqgunz
11-21-17, 16:05
I am pretty that the SIONICS shop could help with that.

And if you can't find help in Tucson you're not looking very hard.

bobbytucson
11-21-17, 23:33
You want a good 15" rail that uses the factory nut, with solid lock-up, that "doesn't cost a fortune".
So, just curious why no love for the 15" Samson Evo I posted on page 1 (@ under $155 shipped)?

I kinda over looked it but since it's adaptors are able to convert to keymod or mlok I may try this out ! Can't beat the price

freefly
11-22-17, 00:14
I kinda over looked it but since it's adaptors are able to convert to keymod or mlok I may try this out ! Can't beat the price
Yeah I had one on a previous build and had no complaints.
I think I may have a couple rail sections still, so if you end up going that route and need some, let me know.

freefly
11-24-17, 18:45
If you are still considering the Samson, I would jump on this: http://www.rogtac.com/samson-keymod-evolution-rail-15/ (50% off when you add to cart = $104!). :cool:

JoshNC
11-24-17, 19:36
Centurion C4

Agreed.

C. Stevens
12-04-17, 09:38
I have the Samson as well on a few rifles. No complaints.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171204/4b86d981b003ff01e87cd32f6d67fcc4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171204/6fef7056cfda2914d5eb39b5a714b147.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171204/fdcc79b8866f23708055385ad4cc033c.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

C. Stevens
12-04-17, 09:44
They don't make them anymore but if you want to keep your barrel nut and Delta ring you can find a vltor CAS-V handguard. It attaches to the pic top rail. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171204/44689f86633b2aad272b985e72825c6e.jpg

C. Stevens
12-04-17, 09:46
They don't make them anymore but if you want to keep your barrel nut and Delta ring you can find a vltor CAS-V handguard. It attaches to the pic top rail. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171204/44689f86633b2aad272b985e72825c6e.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using TapatalkThat first picture didn't show uphttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171204/4ed5c53c93a33eff4617490aa41d0e2e.jpg

stascom
12-04-17, 19:17
Samson appear to be very solid. I have 2 in 15" versions. Very strong and no flex from supporting a heavy 20 barrel with the bipod mounted all the way out. I've cranked the clamp down once a bit too much - deformed the barrel nut but no damage to the rail. And they feel really nice in hand. The only downside are the proprietary attachments.

czgunner
12-04-17, 19:46
Samson appear to be very solid. I have 2 in 15" versions. Very strong and no flex from supporting a heavy 20 barrel with the bipod mounted all the way out. I've cranked the clamp down once a bit too much - deformed the barrel nut but no damage to the rail. And they feel really nice in hand. The only downside are the proprietary attachments.

I have used a few of the Samson rails and like them as well. They do offers a keymod version now.

bb223
12-04-17, 20:49
Centurion

KAC RAS 2 if you don't mind losing a few upper rail slots.

Disciple
05-04-23, 12:11
I know nothing about these but what it says on the product page. I put it here merely for interest of those who find this old thread in a search. TacStar Carbon Fiber Handguard. (https://www.lymanproducts.com/carbon-fiber-ar-15-handguards)

markm
05-04-23, 14:17
Another vote for Centurion. They are solid.

Sidneyious
05-05-23, 11:05
Centurion and Troy are what Ive used.

Ive never had issues with screws backing out on my vtac rails and Ive got 2 of them.

Hell sometimes I think I might strip the screw out taking the off.

ViniVidivici
05-05-23, 14:21
I wonder if the OP made his choice at some point in the last 4.5 years...

markm
05-05-23, 14:55
I wonder if the OP made his choice at some point in the last 4.5 years...

It's never too late to reconsider!! :cool:

titsonritz
05-05-23, 15:21
I have a Daniel Defense Omega 9.0 mid-length (https://danieldefense.com/omega-rail-9-0-mid-length.html) and a C4 M-LOK Rail (Mid Cut) (https://centurionarms.com/c4-m-lok-rail-mid-cut/), I've been pleased with both.

lazar
05-10-23, 09:14
I have a Fortis mfg Rev II rail on one of my rifles. It's pretty solid, has MLOK and anti-rotation tabs.