PDA

View Full Version : What Caused This AR-15 To Blow Up? (Video)

JBnTX
10-11-08, 14:02
Check out this video on You Tube.

What do you think caused this?

He seems to really love hitting that forward assist.
Could that have caused the problem?

I've fired upwards of 500rds thru a lot of AR-15s without
cleaning and never once have I ever used the forward assist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh1lyMyejpI&feature=related

variablebinary
10-11-08, 14:04
From what I recall about the vid, the guy was shooting home rolled ammo that wasnt very good

JBnTX
10-11-08, 14:07
From what I recall about the vid, the guy was shooting home rolled ammo that wasnt very good

So? Reloads again?

I'm starting to see a pattern here.

Steel
10-11-08, 14:26
Some people just don't know how to reload ammo.

Juicymeat
10-11-08, 16:34

More specifically I recall it being discussed about the possibility of the round being a squib.

Stretz Tactical Inc
10-11-08, 16:46
good thing he wasnt holding on to the magazine. The shrapenel blew out the well as designed.

Renegade
10-11-08, 16:49
Three duds before the blowout suggests that lot of ammo sucked.

Steel
10-11-08, 21:09
After that many FTF I would of change to better ammo then and their or stopped shooting.

CooperM
10-11-08, 21:17
Maye a bullet was stuck in the chamber, when I was in the Army, this was called pop and no kick. The next round hit it and it blew up.

mark

uscbigdawg
10-11-08, 21:22
Well first, he probably had a long loaded round which wedged into the rifling and didn't allow the rifle to go into battery. You can pull the trigger and not have a "bad primer" with the rifle going 'click'.

The subsequent cycles of the rounds out and moronic, "bad primer" calls without actually, I don't know, looking at the primer further shows a lack of attention to detail. Either from the first, or one of these rounds, a bullet probably got lodged into the barrel, more likely from his stupid battering of the forward assist and then was able to "load" a round in behind it. That one allowed the rifle to go into battery and well...kaboom.

Here's the thing. First, if you have a malfunction that's not during a fight, check the round too. It's not like you're in a firefight and don't have the time. Second, SPORTS is for idiots. There are much more correct ways to clear a malfunction, depending on what type it is and this guy had ZERO clue on what he was doing (nevermind the POS dot he had and tactical table shooting stance/position).

From people that have killed many more people than me in clandestine situations, I'll say this. The forward assist is for closing the rifle when you do not have the opportunity to strip off a new round from a bolt open or via racking the charging handle. That's about it.

Upside for this guy is that he probably only has to get a new barrel, but at worst a new upper. As for his ego, well, I don't know if a new one of those can be bought, but as evidenced humble pie is free.

Rich

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-12-08, 08:25
I think he had to pull the bolt back and eject the last round of the first mag. Squib load, not strong enough to cycle the bolt, bullet caught in the rifling. Next round can't enter the chamber all the way. Machinations to get the bolt closed. Click, Kaboom.

The constant hitting of the forward assist is really odd. Is that this guys tick, or is the lot of ammo really bad. I doubt it is the rifle, but could hot 5.56 ammo in a .223 chamber with a bad throat cause this? Push the bullet back in the case and KaBoom?

Lucky guy, that he isn' t seriuosly hurt.

2640 Comments on YouTube for this video!!!!!

beavo451
10-12-08, 08:44
...this guy had ZERO clue on what he was doing...

+1 I especially like the part where he inserts magazine, pounds the forward assist, and then racks the charging handle. :confused:

Zirk208
10-12-08, 09:48
What do you think caused this?

1 AR-15 + 1 Moron= 800,000 Views and 2600 people calling you a tool.

Priceless.

Nice catch on the forward assist followed by racking the charging handle. He sure looked tough doing it though, like a real "Been there, Done that " kinda guy.:rolleyes:

JBnTX
10-12-08, 15:04
.... and 2600 people calling you a tool....

Question:
What does it mean to call someone a tool?

Best Answer:
A "tool" is someone who does not make decisions or statements for themselves.
Rather, they parrot a party line and act more on what others may think of them than on what is right.

Alternate Answer:
Roughly speaking... it means you're as dumb as a sack of hammers.

Thank You zirkdog, I'm glad you enjoyed the video.

Gunrider
10-12-08, 23:43
A lot of people don't realize the importance of the case TRIMMING step in the reloading process. Brass flows in the heat of combustion, stretches as it is yanked from the chamber -- some "tools" just refill them with powder and go. Those cases will not feed.

Also, a lot of people I read on AR-15 forum pages load "weak" loads to SAVE POWDER (ie., MONEY) ; like using cheap Wolf ammo, this is a recipe for almost and total disasters. A light charge, lying in a case, can allow the primer flash to ignite the powder at one time instead of burning from the back to the front of the case.

Factory ammo

always

(Unless you're Mike Dillon Jr.)

chadbag
10-13-08, 02:04
A lot of people don't realize the importance of the case TRIMMING step in the reloading process. Brass flows in the heat of combustion, stretches as it is yanked from the chamber -- some "tools" just refill them with powder and go. Those cases will not feed.

Yes, trimming is important, especially with 223/556. The biggest thing that causes stretched cases is the sizing of the brass -- the pushing the brass back into shape causes it to stretch and need to be trimmed.

uscbigdawg
10-13-08, 08:43
I generally get about 3-4 firing of my 223/556 before needing to trim. Of course, I also don't keep it that long either. There's a point where it's just not worth it to retain 223 brass. I'll do a class and whore up as much brass as I can ('cause usually everyone's shooting factory ammo). From there...sort out the military stuff and give that to my Dad to remove the crimp (he's retired and LOVES reloading).

I'll take everything else, tumble, roll size, tumble, load, tumble, done.

Rich

markm
10-13-08, 08:49

I would call those "tools" BLACK HILLS. Just measure some blue box Black Hills ammo. The brass is ridiculously out of spec, and they never have any problems.

I never trim brass. When it gets half as long as black hills, I throw it in the recycle bucket.

markm
10-13-08, 08:53
Yes, trimming is important, especially with 223/556. The biggest thing that causes stretched cases is the sizing of the brass -- the pushing the brass back into shape causes it to stretch and need to be trimmed.

Actually, the biggest thing that causes stretch is the expander ball pulling out of the case mouth. You can feel this. Some people take the expander ball out and all sorts of things. I think mine is just broken in (after over 10,000 plus rounds) to the point that it's not so aggresive on the brass.

skyugo
10-13-08, 16:37
I would call those "tools" BLACK HILLS. Just measure some blue box Black Hills ammo. The brass is ridiculously out of spec, and they never have any problems.

I never trim brass. When it gets half as long as black hills, I throw it in the recycle bucket.

you've mentioned this before...

how long is black hills ammo anyway?
i trim if it goes over 1.760 by more than a few thousandths.

markm
10-13-08, 16:59
I don't know!

I was using a headspace guage every time I checked a sample. So all I can say is that it was significantly out of the AOL spec for case length.

One of the reputable members over on TOS also confirmed this on some ammo that he had.

I recently checked a sample of some blue box that Mudbug from ARF had in his loading room. It was the same story.

My point is NOT that BH ammo is bad. BH reman ammo obviously has a great reputation. It's just that apparently .223 can be safely loaded with brass that's longer than spec.

skyugo
10-13-08, 18:30
I don't know!

I was using a headspace guage every time I checked a sample. So all I can say is that it was significantly out of the AOL spec for case length.

One of the reputable members over on TOS also confirmed this on some ammo that he had.

I recently checked a sample of some blue box that Mudbug from ARF had in his loading room. It was the same story.

My point is NOT that BH ammo is bad. BH reman ammo obviously has a great reputation. It's just that apparently .223 can be safely loaded with brass that's longer than spec.

ah fair enough... if ya get a chance could you measure OAL of a black hills case sometime?

i guess i could just go buy a box of it and see for myself :p

markm
10-13-08, 20:52
ah fair enough... if ya get a chance could you measure OAL of a black hills case sometime?

i guess i could just go buy a box of it and see for myself :p

That's the reason I won't buy BH blue box. The only reason I buy practice ammo is to get the brass. With BH, the brass is already way beyond my usable specs since I don't trim cases.

If I run into Mudbug I'll swipe a few rounds from him for measurements.