PDA

View Full Version : Hill people gear

Krazykarl
11-21-17, 17:34
Thinking about trying out one of their kit bags to carry a n frame SW revolver while rifle hunting and summer backpacking. Anyone here have/had one of their kit bags?

eaboecke
11-21-17, 21:04
Lots of reviews on them out there. I have a "heavy recon" I think that I use for my Glock 20 while hunting/out in the woods.

I like mine a lot. Its convenient and carries easy. Also can keep some survival gear/ compass there as well.

Works great for riding ATVs as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krazykarl
11-21-17, 21:41
Are the chest straps big enough to fit over a heavy winter coat?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-21-17, 21:44
Had one since 2011. I use the full size for everything from a 1911 to a G43. Straps are plenty big enough.

Krazykarl
11-21-17, 21:47
Thanks for the information guys. Looks like I found my Christmas gift.

HeruMew
11-22-17, 09:03
I had no idea these existed.

I think I would benefit from one of these during hunting seasons and those harsher activities like snowmachining and such.

Krazykarl
11-22-17, 10:13
Makes backpacking with a full sized pistol a real option. Especially when your hips are busy with the load bearing belt.

Failure2Stop
11-22-17, 12:23
I recently bought one of the V2 Kit Bags.
Primary application is to carry a readily accessible handgun obscured from view while hiking in warm weather.
Secondary application is to maintain critical items on-body during times that require self-sufficiency, specifically items crucial to survival.
Tertiary use is to maintain on-body access to frequently used items that don't belong in pockets while in an environment that carrying a chest pouch is reasonable.
I will drop a review in a few months once I have more time with it, but so far I am happy and find the price to be very good with relation to quality and utility.

DCsampson
11-22-17, 13:54
I have had the Snubby Kit Bag for 2 years now and use it to carry a G29w/TLR1 while hiking and backpacking. I like that it can dock to my backpack or run independently when just hiking.

So far it has held up well, although I am gentle on gear.

Not as fast to draw as I'd like. Adds about 1.5 seconds to my first round hits. Maybe more practice is necessary.

DC

Krazykarl
11-22-17, 14:33
After talking to Hill People directly I was almost sold on the jogger as it doesn't look too tactical. However, their website specifically points out that N frame revolvers are not ideal. Probably going to get original v2....

R.P.
11-24-17, 19:48
I have what I believe is called the runner kit bag. These work great for running with a j frame or glock 19. Also use it while hunting and riding my Honda atc.

JStor
11-24-17, 21:07
I use the Recon version with the webbing up front...great piece of kit, and I generally wear it under my Carhart jacket. I liked it so much I gave each of the kids one to use for carrying their G19s.

P51Mustangrulz
11-25-17, 14:45
I have a Heavy Recon Kit bag. It wasn't my first choice since it's more tactical looking than the others. I've used it with a Glock 19, 21 and Sig P226. I also have other survival gear in it too...compass, 550 cord, headlamp, small pocketknife, fire starting gear, a rite in the rain notepad and water purification tablets. I mainly take it hiking and camping.

Krazykarl
11-25-17, 16:09
Order placed for original kit bag in coyote. Excited to see how it works.

oregon45
11-26-17, 13:59
I've got a Version 2 Kit Bag, works great for carrying a heavy revolver, in my case, a Ruger Bisley 45 Colt, 5.5" barrel. It also fits well under a large coat or vest.

Krazykarl
11-26-17, 14:15
I've got a Version 2 Kit Bag, works great for carrying a heavy revolver, in my case, a Ruger Bisley 45 Colt, 5.5" barrel. It also fits well under a large coat or vest.

If a fellow member from Oregon supports my purchase I know that I will do well!

LRRPF52
12-06-17, 12:04
https://hillpeoplegear.com/Portals/21/CVStoreImages/ReconKBRG2_280.JPG

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Portals/21/CVStoreImages/REKBCY2_1000.JPG

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Portals/21/CVStoreImages/REKBCY3_1000.JPG

https://www.itstactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/122.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZyktcUYqdbXownwaAMNdrQdphtDM79P8kQTemc5QMHi9vKjIZ7w

I first saw HPG chest Kit Bags at Sniper Adventure Challenge back in 2013, and subsequent CD events over the years. Most of the permanent ThunderBeast/CD staff have them.

They make a great basic pistol and small equipment solution for practical tasks, whether you're carrying a pack and don't want to have any telltale signs of CCW, riding motorcycles while carrying protection, carrying radios, small clipboards for RO'ing, flashlight, energy bars, maps, multi-tools, chem lights, spare mags, things like that.

Construction is high quality, US-made, well-designed and executed. Machining operations are consistent, correctly-done, and the gear has lasted many years in some pretty extreme environments out here in the West, where you have rocky outcrops, lots of sand/dust interface while riding in open ATVs, on cycles, and being thrown back and forth between range bags, worn, set and dragged on concrete, and normal use for highly-active outdoors types.

They are very comfortable because of the load distribution arrangement with the small of back mesh nape panel and wide suspension webbing, unlike path of least resistance cross-webbing you see on a lot of chest rigs. They feel very at home on you, out of the way when not needed, and right there when needed.

The Recon Kit Bag will hold a full-size pistol like a Glock 20 in 10mm for a trail gun. I highly recommend them based on the past 4 years of hard use I've seen across at least 20 samples of the Kit Bag product line. I don't recommend a lot of sewn gear much because I'm rarely impressed with what I see from a design standpoint.

I have no connection with HPG other than talking with them at one of the events and independent observation of their products. I don't own any of them, but have used them on CD staff for SAC or Steel Safari.

I normally wear my own gear that I have designed and made myself, having been sewing since childhood. What normally happens with me when I see a piece of gear is that I tear it down in my head based on design intent and execution as presented, then re-build it visually and interactively in my mind to how I would do it.

Every time I've done that with the HPG Kit Bag, I end up pretty much doing what they have done. There aren't any other sewn gear products I can think of where that happens.

B52U
12-06-17, 14:33
It's good kit. It is my go-to backpacking carry method.

Failure2Stop
12-06-17, 15:38
So far, my only complaint is that the solid fabric back tends to induce a little extra sweat down here in FL.
Experience so far is limited to Florida swamp hiking.
I would definitely be interested in a version that had a breathable backer like inside good plate carriers and on the wearer side of packs, though I have to assume that they tried that and found it to not be as good as I theorize.

horsefighting
12-06-17, 16:14
Last year I bought my wife a runners kit bag in the grey color so she could wear it while working (she was cleaning office buildings and apartments at the time) or walking the dogs and kids and she loved it. She was able to carry her MP full size 9mm, an extra magazine, flashlight, small strobe, pens/pencils and cellphone no problem. She would have it on 4-8 hours at a time while cleaning and never had an issue.

Great kit, well made and thought out. I might just pick up another one now...

Turnkey11
12-06-17, 16:55
HPG is good to go, First Spear does the stitching for them. I've had the mountain serape for a few years now, I never leave town without it.

Krazykarl
12-06-17, 20:41
You guys are killing me with all of these good reports. My kit bag is here. Just can't use it. That fat guy in the red outfit hasn't officially made it to my house yet.

sapper36
12-06-17, 21:46
I love mine. When I was running marathons I attached the snubby to a HSP flat pack and it’s a great set up!

LRRPF52
12-07-17, 10:04
So far, my only complaint is that the solid fabric back tends to induce a little extra sweat down here in FL.
Experience so far is limited to Florida swamp hiking.
I would definitely be interested in a version that had a breathable backer like inside good plate carriers and on the wearer side of packs, though I have to assume that they tried that and found it to not be as good as I theorize.

A spacer mesh backer for the main pouch would be very easy to do.

Krazykarl
12-26-17, 18:51
Santa Claus came through! Just got done wearing the original kit bag in coyote. Took it out on a one hour hike all bundled up for the 2 above evening here in NWI. My only complaint is my sw m57 will only fit in the middle compartment. But it was super comfortable and the weight is nicely distributed across my back, shoulders, and chest.