PDA

View Full Version : Review of the Springfield Armory Saint Pistol and Edge

C4IGrant
11-22-17, 09:34
Had the opportunity to run these two new AR’s from SA at a recent writers event held in Vegas. First, the pistol AR. While I am a fan of SBR’s, I prefer a barrel length of no shorter than 10.3. With that out of the way, I understand that the general gun buying public likes really short barrels. While 7.5” barrels are not known for reliability, the guns I shot at the event ran well. Another interesting feature of this AR is the barrel, 416 Melonited SS in a 1/7 twist. My hope is that SA offers this barrel in longer lengths in the future (as it was a shooter). If you have shot a short barreled AR, you are aware of how loud they are. SA addresses this issue with their forward blast diverter. A nice feature on a factory built gun and it does make a noticeable difference. Tucking it under the rail also gives it a more "custom" look that most buyers will appreciate.
The next new item on this pistol is SA’s own free float rail in M-LOK. Kind of reminds me of the ALG EMR rail (which I was a fan of). The FCG is standard USGI with a nickel boron coating. Should come in at around 5-6LBS. Last, but not least, is the brace. Made by SB Tactical, it is fully functional as a stock, which is legal to use as such according to the ATF (at least this week). Two days after I got back home, a local customer walked into my store with one of these. He loved it and wanted me to see it. So my guess is that these will be a hit for SA. Retail is $989 with an estimated street price of $849.

Next up is the Edge. Now this AR is more my speed. First, lets look at the lower. Instead of using the same forging from the original Saint AR, they went with 7075 billet. It features SA’s adjustable “Accu-tite” tension system which is designed to remove play out of the upper and lower receivers. An Ambi selector and side mounted QD connectors are also a nice touch. The stock is the new BCM GF SOPMOD (another nice upgrade) and the grip is also made by BCM. The last interesting part of this lower is the FCG. SA has their own single stage, modular match trigger. They also finished it in melonite to give it a nice, smooth feel.

The upper features a standard USGI M4 upper receiceiver, a 9310 bolt, melonited carrier and SA’s own mid-size charging handle. The rail is 13” long and M-LOK compatible. The barrel is a 16”, 1/8 twist and is LW profiled. It is made out of CMV and melonited. The gas block is pinned on and is multi-mode and adjustable. Pretty cool feature on factory built gun. On the end of the barrel is the “SA-Lite” muzzle break. It features extra large ports and increased surface area that greatly reduces recoil.

This gun has an MSRP of $1300, but street price should be around $1088. If you look at all the features, I think this gun represents a pretty good value and will appeal to everyone from competition shooters to suppressor owners.

C4

Send it...
11-22-17, 09:44
C4, thank you for sharing this info. In the pics, I see what looks like a small plate or strap with two screws on the hand guard near the receiver. Do you know what that is?

C4IGrant
11-22-17, 09:47
C4, thank you for sharing this info. In the pics, I see what looks like a small plate or strap with two screws on the hand guard near the receiver. Do you know what that is?

Those are the installation screws for the rail.

C4

C4IGrant
11-23-17, 08:53
Some random guy talking about the edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtRUUTnPvR4

C4